Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Doomhammer posted:

Talking to Towa in the Reverie corridor should let you report.

Lord Koth posted:

Are you talking about the one where you're supposed to talk to Towa inside the final, final dungeon?

I tried that, after seeing the "hey we should talk to everyone" cutscene and I didn't get my AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Some Numbers posted:

I tried that, after seeing the "hey we should talk to everyone" cutscene and I didn't get my AP.

The one immediately before the final boss? Probably too late. You needed to talk to her downstairs.

There are several small scenes available there (e.g., Alfin will tell you how Cedric has been doing).

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
anyone know if gurumin 3d is any good? thinking about maybe picking it up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

epenthesis posted:

The one immediately before the final boss? Probably too late. You needed to talk to her downstairs.

There are several small scenes available there (e.g., Alfin will tell you how Cedric has been doing).

So before actually going onto the last floor?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Assumed the last playable character in SC would be Mueller, not Josette. Hate to say it but that's a pretty big let-down heh. Not really Josette's fault, though.

what did you think of the end of chapter 8?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Zaggitz posted:

what did you think of the end of chapter 8?

I actually just beat the game, but I have to run so this will be sorta short. Will probably circle back with more thoughts.

Chapter 8 was awesome. By the time it happened, the Olivier reveal wasn't much of a reveal, but the way they pulled it off was crazy. Again, I'm impressed by how "mature" the story is - Erebonia using the orbal shutdown phenomena as a pretense for "providing security" sounds like something that would really happen, and Olivier and Cassius' maneuvering to counter it was awesome.

I really liked seeing Colonel Richard and the Intelligence Division come in and kick rear end. I kept assuming he'd show up again and be awesome, but by the time it happened I wasn't expecting it.

End-game stuff: Kevin executing Weissman was not expected, but very cool. I feel like Estelle is the only character in the entire game that isn't secretly a covert badass. Hoping Kevin will show up in TC? 3C? Whatever.

Sad Loewe is gone but considering how few people actually die in this game, they had to give the ending a little weight I guess.

Last chapter took a lot longer than I was expecting, but worth it. I took the time to go back and get the appropriate character for each of the bosses, and ended the game with Zane and Tita, which was maybe not ideal but, eh.

I just got Dragon Quest Builders so I'll be playing that for a bit, but I probably won't be able to stop myself from starting up Cold Steel today or tomorrow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hoping Kevin will show up in TC? 3C? Whatever.

Yeah he's in there for a little bit.

The "ideal" SC endgame backup is probably Agate and any strong caster, but it's possible with everybody.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Really Pants posted:

The "ideal" SC endgame backup is probably Agate and any strong caster, but it's possible with everybody.

It's really amazing to me how from FC to SC, Agate went from that rear end in a top hat I hated and let die on purpose to essential part of my party and one of my favorite characters .

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

End-game stuff: Kevin executing Weissman was not expected, but very cool. I feel like Estelle is the only character in the entire game that isn't secretly a covert badass. Hoping Kevin will show up in TC? 3C? Whatever.

The 3rd.

And I too, wish for him to be in it.

Maybe if we're really lucky he'll show up...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's his brother, Nivek.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's obviously kebin

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like that he's pointing that bow right at his nun buddy and she's all "what the gently caress dude" with the sword up to deflect it if his finger slips

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Death Priest posted:

It's really amazing to me how from FC to SC, Agate went from that rear end in a top hat I hated and let die on purpose to essential part of my party and one of my favorite characters .

Well giving him something to do other than be an rear end in a top hat for a couple hours and then piss off until the end of the story helps a lot.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

God the geocities throwback april fools joke was so good.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Death Priest posted:

Same. Agate is basically Wolverine in the hands of a good writer (which happens on occasion). The fact that he wasn't in my end-game party was mostly due to expediency than anything else (I didn't want to make that last trip back), though I do like Zane. I'm glad I chose Agate in Chapter 2? 3?, whenever that was a choice. Schera's perfectly fine (Trails is one of the few JRPGs where I don't actively dislike at least one of the playable characters) but I liked Agate much more.

Anywho, Trails is basically the first JRPG I've finished in like, ten years or so. I'm honestly not sure what the last one was. Suikoden 5, maybe? It's been a while. Loved the whole trip - maybe two or three chapters were "meh" but at its worst I was still invested in the story and characters.

Looking forward to Cold Steel - probably starting it up tomorrow!

Edit: Also this happened to me after I beat Luciola but before saving - http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/250339770647486222/DDCE14E8C27AFCED35709FAC93D35CA975B5C81A/ Fell into the world. Have never done that in a JRPG before! :downs:

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 19, 2016

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

So before actually going onto the last floor?

Hmm, I may have remembered this wrong. You should be able to report quests to Towa in the lobby until you go in to fight the last boss; I was thinking the playable characters all went up to join you at some point, but now that I think about it I don't think they do. You're saying that you can still talk to everyone but she doesn't give you the option to turn in quests? And you've tried multiple times?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

epenthesis posted:

I was thinking the playable characters all went up to join you at some point, but now that I think about it I don't think they do.

I think they only come up once you've actually decided to go fight the boss and end the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The characters come up when you go into the final boss room and trigger that cutscene.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

gently caress why aren't people talking about Trails more. A friend got me to play Trails in the Sky in late August and ever since I've been going through the english releases, being roughly halfway through Cold Steel 2 now. Not being able to play the Crossbell games (yet?) makes me wish I knew Japanese.

The level of characterization and world building is pretty incredible for a game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heck, it's pretty incredible in general. By giving the NPCs actual little plot arcs and character beats, the games actually lean into one of the big advantages of games - much more time and text than a movie, show, or even most novels, and that can be used to flesh out way more characters than a novel could accomplish in way less time, and by making it optional it doesn't bog the game down.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, that stuff is so good. I've been consistently amazed by it. There's very little dialogue that doesn't add to the world in some wa.

Things like seeing that dopey kid with a crush on Rosie try (and fail) over the course of 6 game months to get time alone with her or the amount of foreshadowing relating to quests, hidden or otherwise. The bit that sticks out in my mind is the vendor in bose who is panicking over his list ledger in FC which you can later find in one of his products he sold.

It really makes me wish I played without a guide to get all the points but unfortunately I'm not 13 anymore with an excess of time to explore every inch of a game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Trails series might just have the best worldbuilding I've ever seen from video games. Apart from the level of character development, they only lean on inexplicable magic and technobabble when they absolutely have to--once you get past the ancient artifacts and fighting robots, it's all national governments and other groups of people exercising essentially mundane powers against each other in ways that feel sensible. Almost all of the heroes and villains have pretty solid reasons to fight each other underlying all their JRPG courage-and-power speeches.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 19, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

epenthesis posted:

Hmm, I may have remembered this wrong. You should be able to report quests to Towa in the lobby until you go in to fight the last boss; I was thinking the playable characters all went up to join you at some point, but now that I think about it I don't think they do. You're saying that you can still talk to everyone but she doesn't give you the option to turn in quests? And you've tried multiple times?

I went to the last floor, saw the cutscene about "white darkness" went back down and talked to Towa and there was as nothing new to report.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You've talked to Sharon and had her meet with Anton and everything, right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Really Pants posted:

You've talked to Sharon and had her meet with Anton and everything, right?

Yeah, I got credit for that one, but not for the exploring the last area.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't think the final dungeon has any related quest to report. What's your current AP total? 329 is the max.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Really Pants posted:

I don't think the final dungeon has any related quest to report. What's your current AP total? 329 is the max.

There is one last sidequest that only unlocks when you enter the final dungeon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes, but Some Numbers has finished that one.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Starting Cold Steel - I think I read in this thread somewhere, but I can't find it... if I'm semi-competent at JRPGs, Hard is the recommended setting for this game, right?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah. I'd peg CS Hard as around SC normal

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I got credit for that one, but not for the exploring the last area.

After the Anton quest there's nothing left to report.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally figured out that holding O during cutscenes fast forwards everything in New Game +.

Thank god.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Finally figured out that holding O during cutscenes fast forwards everything in New Game +.

Thank god.

:ssh: CS2 also lets you hold R to climb ladders more quickly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Starting Cold Steel - I think I read in this thread somewhere, but I can't find it... if I'm semi-competent at JRPGs, Hard is the recommended setting for this game, right?

Yeah. Hard is totally doable. Heck, a fresh nightmare run is pretty doable, if you take advantage of dumb poo poo like stacking impede on Rean.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'd say CS2's ideal NG difficulty is nightmare and CS1's is hard. You get so many more useful tools in CS2 and both the save transfer bonus and having double the sepith exchange rate help ease the early portion where you'll be wanting to spend on items. You definitely don't need to impede spam for CS2 NG nightmare, at all. You don't even need s-crafts outside of bonus AP that isn't required for 100%. For CS1 I'm sure it's doable too but I always at least transferred sepith.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish S-crafts weren't tied to breaking. It kind of bothers me that it is the only mechanic because impede spam you reliably have to control the timeline and it's tied to super-attacks that also use up your regular SP so it's harder to design the game around it in the way like Grandia or Atelier are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair, you also have chrono burst and grail burst, and machias's burst drive

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Really Pants posted:

305, which seems really low. I don't think I missed 24

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xanadu Next site up.

Also, Falcom put out a demo version of TX eX+ that lets you play up to chapter 3. Obviously it's in japanese, but hey, it's out there and it's easy to get foreign downloads on PS4.

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/tokyo-xanadu-ex-free-version-now-available-japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Motto posted:

Xanadu Next site up.

Also, Falcom put out a demo version of TX eX+ that lets you play up to chapter 3. Obviously it's in japanese, but hey, it's out there and it's easy to get foreign downloads on PS4.

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/tokyo-xanadu-ex-free-version-now-available-japan

Chapter 3? Are the chapters short, or is this a ridiculously huge demo?