Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
H: Offer parley or a fight.

Something like:

"My men are at the ready, you're men are at the ready. So I'll make it brief. We're hunting some slime thieves and a monster and we're on a schedule. If you have the slimes or the monster we're looking for then we'd appreciate a surrender now. If you have info on where the slimes or monster are then we can talk it out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
H: Something else?

Say nothing to her, have Skvababt put an arrow through her skull quietly.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
we are monster hunters not mercenaries

murdering other humanoids (the good kind not the kobold kind) w/o figuring up what the sitch is is probably bad

just ask whats up and politely demand the slimes and ask them if theyve seen a big scary monster

im pretty sure we dont exactly need the jump on these clowns to win a fight if it comes down to it

i guess that's e but w/ some diplomacy

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
H. The leading H

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Well ok after thinking about it there's an excellent point here that we're not man-hunters so much as we are monster extermination services professionals and shouldn't go setting fires and assaulting people in proactive self defense. Change my vote from F to H parley please. But an arrow to the head if/when things go wrong would be great though.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Let's not give them a chance to react.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Puppies are dicks posted:

Well ok after thinking about it there's an excellent point here that we're not man-hunters so much as we are monster extermination services professionals and shouldn't go setting fires and assaulting people in proactive self defense. Change my vote from F to H parley please. But an arrow to the head if/when things go wrong would be great though.

We're monster hunters. Look at their dental hygiene and their multiple fashion faux pas! They're pretty monstrous in my opinion.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Will we take a morale hit for setting people and/or our quarry on fire?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

See that's more my concern and also the fact that we're not licensed to put people in the ground for nasty crimes. It's likely they are guilty and using a monster for nefarious purposes, but we don't have a chitty nor have we undergone the mandatory certification process for killing dudes for money. But I could get behind maybe bluff that we've already sent a runner for to the lawmen who are? And then follow with the arrow to the head/charge once the monster comes out, etc.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm almost tempted to FOOF the problem away but we are standing in a field of flammable grain.

Hide and maintain position, make them spread out in search of us.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Guys, you DO of course recall that setting the barn on fire was one of the options on vote before we decided to surround them instead, and we were told in no uncertain terms that setting this thing on fire would be really bad for our rep and possibly also finances.

As in:

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Plan Pyromania.
Set the barn on fire. Kill whatever comes out.
Note: as you do not own this property, this action would classify as both destruction of property and arson.
Abigail thinks this is a great idea. Kvelar advises against it.

So yeah, I vote the whole Parley, but have Skvab on murder readiness if nothing comes out of it plan. Keep our other dudes and their position hidden.

Like, we are not mercenaries or bounty hunters. Killing bandits should not be our job. We are looking for slimes and also possibly some sort of rust monster.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Murder 101

got some chores tonight posted:

we are monster hunters not mercenaries
murdering other humanoids (the good kind not the kobold kind) w/o figuring up what the sitch is is probably bad

RandomPauI posted:

See that's more my concern and also the fact that we're not licensed to put people in the ground for nasty crimes. It's likely they are guilty and using a monster for nefarious purposes, but we don't have a chitty nor have we undergone the mandatory certification process for killing dudes for money. But I could get behind maybe bluff that we've already sent a runner for to the lawmen who are? And then follow with the arrow to the head/charge once the monster comes out, etc.

ITEC and its employees is a licensed monster hunting company operating as a private, competitive franchise under the umbrella organization of the Imperial Monster Hunters Guild Entente. The license offered to you allows you to act on bounties posted by imperial citizens, officials and corporations for the express purpose of slaying or otherwise ending the threat posed by monsters, and also allows you to carry heavy arms, even across regional borders, for the same ends. Furthermore, the license allows you to salvage monster parts for your own use up to and including reselling to interested parties. The license allows you to keep up to nine* people under your employ, granting them the same rights.

What the license does not do, is allow you to kill imperial citizens. The Guild offers your company some legal protection viz a viz collateral damage that is bound to accrue when fighting monsters in urban environments and similar hazards of the job, but this does not mean you can go around wantonly destroying imperial property without good cause.

The penalties for breaking Imperial Law include everything from hefty fines, to expulsion from your parent Guild and at the far end, a lifetime of slavery.

This places you in somewhat of a sticky situation, should things come to blows between you and the occupants of the barn. You couldn't very well call it self defense if you went out of your way to attack them, even if they are criminals.

As for morale, it depends on the person in question. You personally have never taken a life of a fellow citizen. You cannot say if the same applies for your companions, since you haven't asked them. You didn't seem to have much qualm about slaughtering Kobolds, who were all clearly sentient, but then again they were officially monsters and not Imperial Citizens so they probably didn't count.

The scenario you are currently facing is a strange one. Illegal at worst and an unexplored grey area at best. There haven't really been any instances that you know of, off citizens actually controlling the monster you or others like you were sent to slay. The closest you can think of would be cases of lycanthrophy, but since the perpetrator in that case is usually a citizen, it is a matter for the courts rather that the hunters to deal with.

The ideal resolution, you imagine, would probably be to call in the local constabulary to arrest all present, with ITEC acting as a monster-hunting liaison to dispose of the dangerous critter in their possession.

Except, you don't actually have any evidence that the people in the barn are guilty of slime-napping, vandalism and robbery.
What you have is a series of hunches, coincidences and leads, some of which are supernatural. At best it is probable cause, not certain conviction. Of course, this might all change once you enter the compound. An action that would be criminal were it not for your license granting you access even unto private property should you suspect monster activity therein.

Should fighting start, your companions will likely attempt non-lethal takedowns of the barn occupants unless they are really keen to spend the rest of their days in an imperial gulag.

---

This is an artificial limit imposed upon you by the Guild and will hold until you prove yourself capable through the successful completion of bounties. Basically, as time moves forward and your reputation grows, ITEC will be granted more opportunities to expand its business capabilities. Raising the number of recruits allowed under your direct employ is one such perk.

--

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Say nothing to her, have Skvababt put an arrow through her skull quietly.[/b]

Skvababt is on the other side of the house. Even if she could hear your orders her line of sight is blocked, as per the most recent Battle Map.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lets emphasize we're monster hunters, looking for stolen slimes, and a monster then.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

We probably don't even have non-monster arson insurance anyway so setting the field aflame would be a horrible mess of an idea. Aw shoot well my vote/statement still stands. We should try to negotiate until a monster shows up/bluff like a mofo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hey lady! We're looking for a rusting monster and some slimes. Do you have anything like that in there?

If she says no: Great! I'm fairly certain whatever you're doing in there is illegal, but luckily we don't give a single wet drat about that. I'm going to come in and have a quick look to make sure you're telling the truth and we'll be on our way. If you're lying to me or murder me you should know that we have a licence to find these monsters. Furthermore, we have you surrounded, out numbered and possess some extremely unpleasant ordinance. If you harm or kill me my compatriots will take that as an indication that you have the monsters s we seek in there. And as such the barn and all of it's contents including you, your friends, my body and any monsters it may or may not be holding will be subsequently vaporized and scoured clean to the foundations.

If she says yes: Oh okay, have a good day.

Then we withdraw to a safe distance and send Abigail to get the constabulary, and then murder the poo poo out of them with the weight of the law behind us.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Get a Search Warrant

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Looks like we're about to put ourselves in a situation where we cannot defend ourselves legally. Wonderful.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arkanomen posted:

H
Frog-waifu Lights the barn on fire. Inform them their barn is on fire and the buyer will not be pleased with crispy merchandise.

Changing vote from F to this

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Run away! Run away! We are walking into a Legal Trap!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Looks like we're about to put ourselves in a situation where we cannot defend ourselves legally. Wonderful.

We can just tell teh cops that we know that some guys have some shady poo poo going down. They go in and investigate, if we hear screaming to go to the aid of the law. If the monsters are there we get double legal immunity because they are assisting monsters.

Just get the cops involved for legal protection.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Outrail posted:

We can just tell teh cops that we know that some guys have some shady poo poo going down. They go in and investigate, if we hear screaming to go to the aid of the law. If the monsters are there we get double legal immunity because they are assisting monsters.

Changing my vote from charging in like an idiot (which I am) to this.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Outrail posted:

Sure, why not!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Outrail posted:

Yes please. this

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think we should call the cops (too complicated and who would we send at this time?), but pretending that we have/that the slimengineers guild is going to come down on these guys like a ton of bricks is probably the best and easiest hand we can play. We've already got a rep from their guild with us and it's a lot easier to feign that we were more clever about this than we actually are.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I don't think we should call the cops (too complicated and who would we send at this time?), but pretending that we have/that the slimengineers guild is going to come down on these guys like a ton of bricks is probably the best and easiest hand we can play. We've already got a rep from their guild with us and it's a lot easier to feign that we were more clever about this than we actually are.

We've got them surrounded. If they try and sneak away we can stick our head into the barn, confirm the monsters are there, kill the bad ones and recover the good ones, mission accomplished. If they attack us we nail them and then check the barn and mission accomplished. If they try and escape with monsters our licence kicks in and we nail them, then mission accomplished.

The only way this could be better is if they DON'T have anything we want and they attack us or the cops giving us an excuse to lob a bottle of FOOF through a window. I mean we wouldn't get anything out of it, but guys, FOOF!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Outrail posted:

This sounds about right.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Slice of Strife

Even before The Forest appeared and laid siege to the world, taking with it a fifth of the available arable land, the various people's that make up the Empire had lived under constant threat.
For though the Emperor himself had carved his realm from the chaos of the world that was before him, monsters still roamed every corner, nook and cranny.

For safety, the people's settled densely. Towns around the river to expedite trade with distant outposts, cities in the fields where space for farming could be cleared, forts in the hills where chokepoints could be formed or homes in the mountains, where security could be cut from the stone itself.
Yet these bastions were not enough to protect the burgeoning Empire from the baser impulses of its citizenry, and soon the Empire was threatened from within.

To curtail this dire situation, the Bureaucracy split the sacrament of violence into a number of more manageable Orders, cracking down heavily on those who would unlawfully beget murder and disorder against their fellows.

Largest of these is The Imperial Army. They are the hammer wielded by the Emperor, keeping the peace of an entire world. They put down riots and dispose of unruly lords, but are stretched thin by the constant all fronts battle with The Forest.

The Constabulary, the Emperors Shield, sometimes called the Militia, the City Watch or the Local Guard, are static local divisions of the Imperial Military, charged with keeping the regional law enforced, whatever the cost.
They are the stable core and the foundation upon which the Empire may rest.

Most celebrated by far are the various Orders of Paladins. They are the Emperors Scalpel. By divine decree and individual experience do they roam the Empire righting wrongs wherever their faith leads them.
In matters of Law, they stand above even the highest courts, bowing only to their God and their Emperor.

Private Military Companies exist to fill in the remaining violent niche, that of the on-site context-specific protection service. They are employed mostly by Your Betters, or at least the Richer Than Thou, such as the Guilds and Nobles of the Empire.
These mercenary arms-people are imperial citizens with the right to carry arms and armour, but limited to using them for self defense.

These four are the only institutions whom may murder lawfully, for the Greater Good. But unless the crime is treason or the grandest of heresies, capital punishment is almost never doled out. For to do such would be a waste of resources, and if there is anything the Beurocracy abhoars, it is waste.

Monster Hunters, sometimes called Adventurers when on their lonesome, are a more recent innovation. They are citizens that through skill, experience (and lets face it; money) have earned the right to take up arms against The Forest and the beasts of the wild.
Due to the nature of their chosen occupation and the political capital leveraged by their parent Guild, they also have some legal protection when it comes to collateral damage and a freedom of movement that their closest equivalents, the Private Military Companies, lack.

It is the Bureaucracies hope that these organizations together might relieve some of the pressure faced by the Empire, that Imperial Citizens might one day live a life without fear.

Voting is Closed.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Is there such a thing as a private military monster hunter?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Is there such a thing as a private military monster hunter?

Not that you know off. For one thing, it wouldn't be very efficient, as the missions, gear and tactics involved are so very different. PMC work is mostly pre-emptive guard duty, whereas Monster Hunters are expected to actually go out looking for trouble.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Old Barn, “Ill Fated Warehouse”, Outskirts of Braav.
Noon, Month 3, Week 3, Day Two
Early afternoon.

Leaning partially out of the glassless window frame of the second floor of the ancient barn is an irate woman with brownish, reddish hair.
She shouts in your general direction, waving her hand threateningly, accompanied by a sweet and sleepy melody from elsewhere in her dilapidated building.

A moment passes in silence whilst you deliberate your next course of action. You find yourself in a legal greyzone, not actually permitted to engage with the thieves if they prove hostile yet fully within your rights to invade their privacy to slaughter the beast you suspect them of harbouring. Having the Constabulary on your side would be a significant boon in this situation, but the people in the barn have already spotted you, so you decide to stall for time, sending Abigail away with a quick pre-planned signal whilst alerting the rest of ITEC to stay put for now.

“Hullo Ma'am” You say, rising like a re-possessed scarecrow out of the Bad Duck Wice™ Fields. “Sorry to bother you, but we have reason to believe your barn has been infested with some sort of rusting monster and slimes to boot. As official license holding Monster Hunters it is our duty to investigate these matters, in order to safeguard the noble citizens of our Empire. If you would please evacuate the premises in a slow and orderly manner, allowing my team to fully examine the premises undisturbed, we'll try to to have everything sorted quickly and be out of your hair by later this afternoon.”

You give her your best official looking smile, but the effect is spoiled somewhat by being so far away.

The woman disappears from view for a few moments. Intense yelling can be heard from inside, accompanied by that same melody as before. Finally, she returns, clutching a small wooden contraption that you cant quiet make out what it is in one hand.

“Right, this is how this is going to go down. You turn away right now, go back to your homes and forget you saw me or anyone else. No monsters, no fuss. They won't be bothering you again. Promise. You won't even have to lift a finger. And if you come back in a day or two, maybe there will be something worth your while just by happenstance, waiting for you 'ere beaneath this broken window.”

“Or we could make this ugly. 'Caus there ain't no way I can guarantee you won't be findin' no monsters if you do commit to searchin'. I hear it's a fast one, on account of me being knowledgeable in such matters. Whose to say what damage it'll do to the town if you don't catch it in time.”

---

1: How do you respond?

A: “I'm sorry Ma'am, there must have been some misunderstanding. ;)
Leave. Wait a day or two. Collect the reward for “disposing” of the monster. Tragically all the Slimes were lost, probably. You didn't find them at least.
[+04-?? Wealth] +-?? Reputation gain with Slimegeneers Guild, Reputation gain with ??

B: “I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist.”
You can already tell she wont take no for an answer. Prepare for battle.

C: Something else?
Write-in

---

Your party is spread out in the surrounding fields, but you can hazard a guess at what they would think about this proposition. Konnie and Abigail would probably be for it. Kvelar would definitely be against it.
Johakim could go either way, but you think he would rather you not fight nor endanger the townspeople so you mentally count him for accepting. Skvababt would defer to your judgement.
As for Tommy and Khami, you are not sure how they would react. Both seem opportunistic, and though they usually advise caution, you know them to show no fear of wading into battle.
Slimetech Beatrice, being your liaison from the Slimegeneers Guild, would definitely be against any proposition that results in her not returning to her workplace with a plethora of rescued Slimes.

---

[For tactical information, including hex-values and inventory, see this post.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

C. Negotiate for higher amount with accounting skill. Good for stalling either way.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
C: I have one more question. More for curiosity's sake than anything else. Is there any way you could have been persuaded to comply with the request?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
e:Actually, how long will it take for the authorities to get here.

If there is a monster we are within our right and if none of the bandits remain alive to tell their tale, well then I guess they fired first.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
At this juncture I feel obligated to warn you that I have the authority to remove the rust monster using means as I see fit. In this case, given my past dealings with several gnome alchemists, I am of a mind to utilize a chemical compound that will effectively vaporize the the monster, everything else in the Barn and the barn itself.

Obviously I am obligated to limit the loss of life wherever possible, and so am giving you and your companions the opportunity to vacate the premises with haste. As I will be forced to deal with the aftermath of our actions I suspect you will have hours, if not days to make your way to parts unknown.

Then we walk in and murder the thing using conventional means. Save the foof for something funner.

Edit:

If she dosen't acquiesce Get out to a decent range and lay siege while we wait for the guard to come help.

They can't travel faster than we can, as they've got all the slimes and whatnot. So let's sit back and let our leather clad pinup sex kitten frog plunk arrows through the windows until they make a break for it.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 20, 2016

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
A

We're trying to run a business. We've done a few charity tasks and we're still in the hole. Let's fuss more about morality once we have some financial wiggle room.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Arkanomen posted:

How long will it take for the authorities to get here?

It all depends on whether or not they'll actually listen to Abigail, your youngest and least experienced monster hunter, in the first place.

Head Slimegeeneer posted:

Now, the Imperial Militia wont touch this case with ten foot pole. They don't want to deal with monsters, and what's more, they say they don't have the equipment to deal with slimes. Preposterous. They are just lazy.
But, perhaps it's for the best. I think we have need of other professionals for this one. Such as yourself."

If she can convince them? An hour? You are at the very edge of what can be called the city of Braav, and the constables would probably have to get equipped and suspend any other activities they might be engaged in.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
B

gently caress this, we saw a slime, they fired first, whatever flies with the authorities if anyone tries to give us trouble for it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

changing to B since guild reward is much higher.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Nyaa posted:

changing to B since guild reward is much higher.

Just to make it clear: Option A will reward you with the base wealth offered by the Slimegeneers Guild for "fulfilling" the primary part of the contract with them but will abandon all hope of earning the bonus-reward you could get for rescuing the Slimes.
In addition to this, the woman in the barn seems to be inciting you with a promise of an additional reward, that you may find hidden in the barn in a few days time. You do not know how much wealth this incentive will translate into. Probably no more than what the Slime-bonus, since even a single [wealth] represents quiet a lot of money, but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mr. Nemo posted:

B

gently caress this, we saw a slime, they fired first, whatever flies with the authorities if anyone tries to give us trouble for it.