Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I founded my first city as England and "Scarborough Faire" started playing, one of my favorite "ancient" tunes. Great Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
There's a dozen tiny niggling things about the UI that irritate me

Autoselect has already been mentioned, and it's stupid that I have to go into configuration files and edit it manually instead of it being an ingame toggle

It's really hard to select certain things when you have a screenful of units, like trying to select a city so you can bombard attackers

You have to select a city twice to be able to bombard

You can't click on city name to build something if you haven't ever built anything there before; you have to click the giant gear icon in bottom right to do so. But if you've built something since, then you can just click on the right edge of the city name to change it directly from there.

Why is the minimap size locked? I want the minimap at 2x size.

"Stacked" notifications on the right edge of the screen are very buggy, if you discard one notification via right clicking, the next up notification takes like 15 seconds to actually expand its text tooltip

There's no way to adjust how fast the map tile tooltip shows up, so if you want to compare one tile against another, you have to hover on each tile for I think 5 seconds each before you finally get the expanded tooltip. But don't hover on the actual resource itself! Then you just get the resource tooltip, not the information for the tile itself

Between resource tiles, unit tiles, city names, et al, the screen gets cluttered very quickly

It takes one click to have your citizens "ignore" a particular city focus, but two clicks to unignore.

The game has had a ton of polish put into it, so it's clear they put their UI fixes at a low priority.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

Whoever at Firaxis thought it would be a good idea to not only release this game with the same broken trade route system Beyond Earth had at launch (trade routes expire, no auto-renew, no marking of previous trade route settings), but to also apply it to counterspying, needs to just go and gently caress THEIR OWN FACE.
OMFG.

Like, there are some cool systems from Beyond Earth that are worth porting over. The original trade route system was not one of them. :(

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

Someone uploaded all the leader music from ancient to atomic.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqHO3Tex2Gh_e0iKDHPK462iaHZT0yEjJ

It's also uploaded on the official channel

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
For anyone who cares, I'll probably be streaming this all day tomorrow

https://www.twitch.tv/golden_battler

Come hang out if you feel like it

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Played awhile on prince difficulty, stomped the hell out of the game by blitzing 2 civs near me with an unstoppable wall of 3 hoplites before anyone gave a poo poo about war mongering and then snowballed out. Started up a small game on settler difficulty for a laugh, and the AI was much better than on prince, Rome declared surprise war on me (the AI can declare war on the player on settler?) with an almost even level of tech and way more units in early medieval, and I was barely keeping up with the other civs in terms of expansion and tech/policies. Still won the war because an AI cannot deal with range deathtraps but the difficulty levels are probably just straight broken :psyduck:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Anyone playing this on a Surface Pro 4 i5? Sounds like it's worth the purchase, but not if it's going to run like dogshit :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vox Nihili posted:

I think you need to make the aquaduct next to that river, where you currently have a farm. Aquaducts must essentially connect a fresh water source (river, lake, oasis, mountain) directly to the city center to function. I'm basing that on this guide:

The fact that this chart (and this gameplay mechanic) exists makes me happy

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Chiming in to say the thread title is fantastic, also I'm totally playing the poo poo out of this for like a week.

Also you should fill in Ghandi's blank agenda in the OP with a nuke joke, just sayin.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 21, 2016

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Sacro posted:

Played awhile on prince difficulty, stomped the hell out of the game by blitzing 2 civs near me with an unstoppable wall of 3 hoplites before anyone gave a poo poo about war mongering and then snowballed out. Started up a small game on settler difficulty for a laugh, and the AI was much better than on prince, Rome declared surprise war on me (the AI can declare war on the player on settler?) with an almost even level of tech and way more units in early medieval, and I was barely keeping up with the other civs in terms of expansion and tech/policies. Still won the war because an AI cannot deal with range deathtraps but the difficulty levels are probably just straight broken :psyduck:

Usually the difficulty just adjusts numbers, like how many units the AI gets, their production bonus your happiness penalty, etc. I don't think Civ AI gets better or worse just how much they can throw at you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I figured out my slow turn problem was due to Chrome memory leaking so all is well. Prince definitely feels real easy even when Saladin surprise declared on me with a 7 warrior rush. I guess the AI doesn't take into account your gold purse (which seems incredibly easy to fill early game?) and I held it off with archers in my city and encampment with spearmen up front.

I do find myself exploring along rivers to find the best places to settle but exploring along the coast is insanely dangerous at a certain point cause Barbarian ships kill scouts in two turns.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can you delete districts to place them in another spot?

This sub optimal campus placement is killing me

Toga
Oct 13, 2016
Played a game for 4 hours straight (I could have gone on longer but it's late as gently caress and I need sleep) as Cleopatra on warlord difficulty and I got surprise war declared on me by the two civs that share my continent which are Spain and Brazil which surprised me for being my first game. I played around with the siege mechanic a bit with a city that Pedro had forward settled like, almost next to my capital, and it's really fun. I also got locked out of the religious game very fast as I didn't build any holy sites until it was too late and every great prophet was taken. Also barbs are a pain in the rear end.

I'm loving this game and can't wait to pick my game up where I left it tomorrow.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I just restarted for kicks and I have been getting different quotes when researching. I had no idea they had multiple lines for each tech; that's so cool!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've reloaded my game a couple of times and still crack up every time I hear Sean Bean attempt to say "Huitzilopochtli" during Monty's intro.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems to be unlocking for me, for anyone who's waiting.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Baron posted:

Seems to be unlocking for me, for anyone who's waiting.

Yep. Just started a few seconds ago.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So uh, Scythia is about as amazing as advertised :stare:

It's so stupid, horsemen are strong enough to take on even walled medieval cities completely on their own. What should be the deterrent to that type of strategy is the amount of damage horsemen take from slamming into spearmen and other units except hahahahaha horses will overwhelm them with the damaged combat bonus and HEAL all that damage they were supposed to be taking on the way to the cities. Between the heal from kills and heals from promotions your horses end up being drat near unkillable. And you build them twice as quickly as normal. And if you're worried about bleeding gold during your unit spam then have no fear, there's conveniently a civic that reduces gold maintenance of every unit you own by one.

You know what the kicker is? There's a civic that gives you 100% production to ancient/classical mounted units, so you actually end up getting quadrupled production on your horsemen. Hell, I'm salivating at what cavalry are going to do in the later parts of the game. :getin:

The irony to all this? The Saka Horse Archer is actually terrible and worthless, because it doesn't benefit from the 100% civic and because it's only 1 range it ends up taking up space that you'd rather use your horsemen for.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Am I dumb? Is 12AM ET not 12AM Eastern Time? Because it's 12:08, I'm about as East as I can get, and it's still locked.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Aquasnake posted:

Am I dumb? Is 12AM ET not 12AM Eastern Time? Because it's 12:08, I'm about as East as I can get, and it's still locked.

try restarting steam if you haven't, it's unpacking for me rn

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aquasnake posted:

Try restarting Steam.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Brother Entropy posted:

try restarting steam if you haven't, it's unpacking for me rn

I had a couple minutes ago, with no results. Hence the post, restarted again and happily unpacking now.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2022

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Played a few hours today before work, I forsee myself committing hundreds of man hours into this. Played Japan on king difficulty standard map, by turn 100 I conquered Aztecs which spawned beside me. They had a nice army of their uu but Japan's ability to always fight at full strength seems insane in the early game. About 50 turns later America declared war on me with warriors and a catapult. I took them out completely with 2 samurai and crossbowmen. Called it quits for work around turn 200 and I don't see how I can lose the game at this point. I think emperor may be a better starting difficulty.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could this game run in a laptop i5?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
For how much effort they were putting into hyping up the new leaders and how gOoFy and AnImAtEd they were going to be I kind of expected more than 6 animations per leader.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

Right! That's why I settled there! But aqueduct is greyed out in the production menu and it says there's nowhere to put it.

Maybe you have to put the aqueduct upstream of your city? I recall seeing a stream where someone had a similar problem.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I'm curious as to how long the loadtimes are for a non-SSD on the largest map size. Anyone with a similar setup able to provide feedback?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

I founded my first city as England and "Scarborough Faire" started playing, one of my favorite "ancient" tunes. Great Game.
You must have missed the memo on the music- instead of war/peace variations on a melody, there's now four era-specific arrangements, with increasing complexity as you progress.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Brannock posted:

For how much effort they were putting into hyping up the new leaders and how gOoFy and AnImAtEd they were going to be I kind of expected more than 6 animations per leader.

Vicky's really cute though

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ojetor posted:

I've reloaded my game a couple of times and still crack up every time I hear Sean Bean attempt to say "Huitzilopochtli" during Monty's intro.

He tries his best :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

Whoever at Firaxis thought it would be a good idea to not only release this game with the same broken trade route system Beyond Earth had at launch (trade routes expire, no auto-renew, no marking of previous trade route settings), but to also apply it to counterspying, needs to just go and gently caress THEIR OWN FACE.

haha the gently caress? :negative:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

euphronius posted:

i ran civ IV on a netbook exclusively using tactical map view for performance reasons

worst case scenario, you could try that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can you do joint victories in this? I didn't see an option to start on teams, and a friend of mine and I like to do co-op Civ

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Are there any good beginner's guides to this? It's the first Civ I've put serious time into and I am...very lost.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
First crash. Turn 20ish. That was fast.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Can I not change the name of my leader, or civ, or any of my city names, or name my units?

Like, I don't want to be a big dweeb, but this has always been one of my favorite things about Civ?

edit: Also, the sepia map look for fog of war areas is a neat idea but I'm on like Turn 25 and it's already gotten old. I want to look at a world with colors, even if it is veiled in FoW

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 21, 2016

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Ambivalent posted:

edit: Also, the sepia map look for fog of war areas is a neat idea but I'm on like Turn 25 and it's already gotten old. I want to look at a world with colors, even if it is veiled in FoW

Agreed, I have felt all along that I would eventually get tired of it. And on the minimap it can be difficult to tell apart fog of war from unexplored areas. If a mod comes out that makes unexplored areas just plain black, and FoW shrouded areas just darker I will install it in a heartbeat.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

euphronius posted:

My i5 is running it (not particularly well but playable). My processor and vid card are both under the listed minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

robot roll call posted:

Are there any good beginner's guides to this? It's the first Civ I've put serious time into and I am...very lost.

Is there not a tutorial in the game?