Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wait so Teddy approaches me and suggests joint war on Brazil and I decline. Couple turns later I realize he was right and make the same proposal. We agree to the war and I take the city that Brazil just settled on our continent and now Teddy's telling me I'm a warmonger? gently caress you bud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Just had my first Eagle Warrior kill that didn't result in a Builder. Guess it's not a 100% chance after all.

Ambivalent posted:

Can I not change the name of my leader, or civ, or any of my city names, or name my units?

Like, I don't want to be a big dweeb, but this has always been one of my favorite things about Civ?
In the multiplayer stream, Ed Beach said city renaming would be coming. Maybe it's three promotions to naming a unit? Dunno about Leader or Civ, though.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 21, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Those aren't the full songs though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Welp, that was fun until the freeze! Load times are kind of crap on my laptop, but the game runs well under medium graphics and looks good too. The only problem is it seems to make the poor thing spit fire even more than civ v did.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Those aren't the full songs though.

Ah, wasn't aware. Looks like they might be reuploading some stuff though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
This game is pretty cool

My laptop is melting halp

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Is there not a tutorial in the game?

There is, and I did it until it kind of froze up on me and wouldn't let me choose a religion. It was fairly long to get to that point so I just decided to jump in. The regular game has a lot of tooltips and advice too. I get the basics, I was just wondering if there was one of those "here's some tips new people should know" kind of things out there.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I skipped Civ V completely. This game seems awesome, but I feel pretty lost, even after completing the tutorial. Like even in the tutorial it was telling me I needed more apartments and more amenities, but didn't bother to explain what that meant at all. That chart about district placement in this thread seems like gibberish to me. Is there a good relatively concise youtube series I could watch to play catch up?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

How the gently caress do I make an envoy? I feel super stupid. :(

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Megasabin posted:

So I skipped Civ V completely. This game seems awesome, but I feel pretty lost, even after completing the tutorial. Like even in the tutorial it was telling me I needed more apartments and more amenities, but didn't bother to explain what that meant at all. That chart about district placement in this thread seems like gibberish to me. Is there a good relatively concise youtube series I could watch to play catch up?
This guy Marbozir comes heavily recommended, his pre-release Greece Lets Play where he's learning the game himself would be a good place to start. I wouldn't say it was concise, but he does go through to decent detail with the underlying systems in place ( like Amenities ).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hogama posted:

Just had my first Eagle Warrior kill that didn't result in a Builder. Guess it's not a 100% chance after all.

In the multiplayer stream, Ed Beach said city renaming would be coming. Maybe it's three promotions to naming a unit? Dunno about Leader or Civ, though.

Says right there in the bottom right, 69% chance (on King, I dunno if it changes based on difficulty)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Raskolnikov posted:

1) Be the first to find them, gives you a free envoy.
2) Complete a quest (mouse over the speech bubble next to the CS's icon in the CS menu)
3) level up. You gain envoy points over time with your governments. Higher level governments produce more envoy points.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Having a unit's movement points immediately removed when you tell it to fortify with no way to take that back is an incredibly bizarre design decision that has not been present in any Civ game up until now and I have no idea why they did that. It makes absolutely no sense and it's just really frustrating when you click fortify on the wrong unit, or when you make a decision you decide is not tactically sound a bit later in the turn. It's not like it's actually doing anything right away, there's no reason for it to prevent you from taking back that order.

Similarly with constructing new districts. You have to be super careful about which districts you're ordering, and where, because there are no takebacks. Not even on the turn you start building on. I started on a holy site, realized later that turn that I should put it somewhere else for better theater adjacency bonuses, and was forced to reload a save in order to do so.

Raskolnikov posted:

To elaborate on what the above said, envoys aren't units you build. You earn influence points over time and once you reach 100, you get to generate a new envoy, which is automatically placed in the city state of your choosing.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Alkydere posted:

2) Complete a quest (mouse over the speech bubble next to the CS's icon in the CS menu)
3) level up. You gain envoy points over time with your governments. Higher level governments produce more envoy points.

Thank you! Omg exploring early is super important.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

In 5 it was almost always correct to queue a scout on turn 1. In 6, it seems it is correct 100% of the time now. I can't envision a scenario where you would possible ever want something other than an early scout.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no way to co-op is there? trying to set up a hot seat co-op game and I'm being stymied.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Raskolnikov posted:

Also you can get policies to improve them (I had an early one that just gave me a flat +2 envoy experience).

Also, drat setting up national parks are finnicky. MUST be a diamond shape of 4 tiles that are entirely unimproved, all tiles must be above a certain appeal rating or be a natural wonder. Totally worth it to buy a naturalist to set one up for a giant pile of tourism.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wait what how is it 2AM.

Played Saladin. Formed a religion. Everybody declared war on me due to how much I neglected my military. Went to bed.

Game is good.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Two crashes now. I guess that means it's time to go to bed at nearly 2 AM. I'm not sure what it is but it hard crashes right to the desktop without even an error posted.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2022

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Has anyone been able to get a religion on Emperor? I quit my first game when I realized that despite going straight for early governments and getting lucky with boosts from huts, I was still 25 turns behind 4 other AI on great prophet points.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Alkydere posted:

There are a fair number of civics that also give you a free envoy you can spend on whatever, and higher level governments also produce more envoys total, so you get 1 per 100 for the first set of governments you can get to, 2 per 150 points for the second and 3 per 200 or so for the last one.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm getting some minor bugs like the blue movement outline not being accurate(Sometimes shows a smaller region than I can actually get to in one turn), but overall a fun game. Once I get used to it, it's going to be a real time sink.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting used to the camera angle though. I guess that will come in time, but I feel I have to have the camera in really close to understand what is going on. I'd like a bit of tilt. My camera seems to be more overhead than the streams I've been watching.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

robot roll call posted:

There is, and I did it until it kind of froze up on me and wouldn't let me choose a religion. It was fairly long to get to that point so I just decided to jump in. The regular game has a lot of tooltips and advice too. I get the basics, I was just wondering if there was one of those "here's some tips new people should know" kind of things out there.

Ah, it's really new right now so there's not a lot of that out there to my knowledge. You might just have to trial and error your way through it. If you're on a lower difficulty it should be decently forgiving to allow that. (Although I've heard rumours the difficulty is weird right now)

Remember to check the civilopedia often if you're confused.

A lot of streamers have been playing the game for a while now and I think some of them have made some video explanations of stuff. Try searching "10 tips for civ vi" or something like that on YouTube.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hamlet442 posted:

First crash. Turn 20ish. That was fast.

That's nothing, my first crash was during the intro movie :v:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In 5 it was almost always correct to queue a scout on turn 1. In 6, it seems it is correct 100% of the time now. I can't envision a scenario where you would possible ever want something other than an early scout.

I only had two starts so far (on Prince difficulty, the first time I restarted pretty quickly) and both times I was under attack by a Barbarian wave, because I couldn't deal with 2 scouts coming from two different directions at the same time. I started with slingers which at least helped with the incoming wave. I could've just been unlucky though.

Also one annoying thing I found was France surrounding one of my cities with missionaries, not using them (since I asked her not to) and blocking my movement :saddowns:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

SlothBear posted:

Usually the difficulty just adjusts numbers, like how many units the AI gets, their production bonus your happiness penalty, etc. I don't think Civ AI gets better or worse just how much they can throw at you.

AI is hard to actually make smarter/dumber on a slider, I'm aware. In civ 5 on the lowest difficulty, the AI was hamstrung so hard you could just do whatever you want and they were even forbidden from declaring war assuming they ever managed to found a second city. In civ 6 on the easiest difficulty, the AI does not seem to be handicapped much if at all from the normal difficulty.

On another note, even on diety/the hardest difficulty, the AI doesn't seem to have any answer for the 3 hoplite rush. Won a 1v1 before the diety AI got walls up, but of course they had 4 cities. :toot:

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Spawning near natural wonders with Russia is good, jacking a settler from Spain trying to forward settle on me is even better. This game owns

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Mechanics Chat: How many turns will it take for a city producing 13 hammers per turn to complete a building that requires 65 hammers?

Apparently twelve.

It's not just the shrine, for some reason this one city has doubled production time on every building and unit. My capital + other cities are normal, and I don't see any problem with Amenities or how the citizens are working the tiles.

If anyone can explain this I'd appreciate it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Scrree posted:

Mechanics Chat: How many turns will it take for a city producing 13 hammers per turn to complete a building that requires 65 hammers?

Apparently twelve.

It's not just the shrine, for some reason this one city has doubled production time on every building and unit. My capital + other cities are normal, and I don't see any problem with Amenities or how the citizens are working the tiles.

If anyone can explain this I'd appreciate it.

Is that a city you took from an opponent? Cause if you don't take the city in the peace deal (or eliminate the player) it remains in an occupied state and, among other nasty things, halves its production.

EDIT - Nevermind I just noticed the city is growing, so it can't be that.

Not sure what's up then.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Production in general seems kinda hosed

IDK about that bug specifically, but I'm having a bitch of a time getting new cities or cities not founded near hills to make much of anything in less than 20 turns, maybe i'm missing some deep strat or maybe this game really is "settle near hills or you won't be able to do anything"

Like I know I could build and invest in production districts, but a couple of my coastal cities have 50 turns to complete industrial districts so they're basically hosed. Internal trade gives not nearly enough hammers

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Don't be like me and keep playing for long in the tutorial - there's a TON of stuff locked off and doing anything but rushing a couple military units into the opponent's capital is a waste of time.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Ah, I actually stole the settler that founded that city from Rome, who I then stole the life of from the game with an armada of war carts.

Can anyone else check in game where they've stolen settlers if the cities they founded are gimped? I can't exactly broker a fair peace deal with a dead civilization, so it'd be quite annoying if the answer was 'secretly, stealing settlers is kind of horrible.'

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
By turn ~20 my capital was surrounded by 2 barbarian horsemen, 1 horse archer, 2 warriors and a slinger vs my scout and warrior.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This Civ, is the best Civ since Civ 2 blew my mind back in the day. It's a huge leap for the franchise. Also I built Stonehenge in record time! :D

There's going to be a holy war. I am on the same continent as Spain. Oh and Rome... I want to do trade as Egypt but I fear conflict is in my future haha. Oh and Russia. Totally going to be bloodshed.

Game owns. 6/5, delightfully surprised with how good it is for a Civ game.

quadrophrenic posted:

Production in general seems kinda hosed

IDK about that bug specifically, but I'm having a bitch of a time getting new cities or cities not founded near hills to make much of anything in less than 20 turns, maybe i'm missing some deep strat or maybe this game really is "settle near hills or you won't be able to do anything"

Like I know I could build and invest in production districts, but a couple of my coastal cities have 50 turns to complete industrial districts so they're basically hosed. Internal trade gives not nearly enough hammers
Pour gold on the problem.

Eej posted:

Spawning near other civs as the Aztecs is really funny because you end up with a ton of free Workers just squatting around your cities waiting for borders to expand or the next town to be conquered/founded.
Similar to history haha.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 21, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Spawning near other civs as the Aztecs is really funny because you end up with a ton of free Workers just squatting around your cities waiting for borders to expand or the next town to be conquered/founded.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The AI seems incredibly non-expansionist, at least on difficulty 4. Maybe I should just turn the difficulty up, but my three neighbors had 2, 2, and 1 cities when I conquered them in the medieval era.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just played through a good chunk of a game with three of my buddies, I don't play single player Civ but man out of the box this game feels so much better than 5 did at launch. Just kinda wish the UI wasn't so small sometimes and I could rename stuff.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
lol at you people not listening to podcasts and your own music when playing a Civilization game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

lol at you people not listening to podcasts and your own music when playing a Civilization game.

the america soundtrack is comprised of the first 10-15 songs i ever learned to play on banjo, makes me happy :banjo: