Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Does Shotgunning in the FMW games apply to any attack with over 1 range or just ones that scale off the Ranged stat? After bouncing off FMW1 several times due to not really liking the character balance (having only one real super in a game with very little money for upgrades and a ton of characters with garbage spirits leads to everything feeling pretty RNG heavy) I'm liking FMW2 a lot more already for just dumping a couple more legit supers (L size and 1000+ Armor/5000+HP) on me early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It only works for attacks that use the Ranged stat.

Half the fun of playing FMW2 is the liberation you feel going into it from FMW1's (purposely) restrictive design. FMW2 to FMW3 is a similar jump, so hopefully you'll go on to that too.

With that said, FMW1 isn't that RNG dependent. You just need to know who is actually worth using, and the answer should be eminently obvious even if you aren't familiar with the Touhou setting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah like a max upgraded Daiyousei.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Welp, just finished off the GC/XO finale mission, that was a pain. All my really good guys were forwards, wiping out the mooks, Regianne, or whatever she's called, and approaching Helluga, with most of my characters near the spawn.Crazy Gleknir Lady took way too much firepower to take down, like all the SP I had firepower. Thankfully I got the skill point by turn... 6? 7? something like that. And now I need to figure out when to use a Maximum Break for maximum effectiveness. I keep on overestimating the enemy so a MB of Shu+Calvina+Touya+Ryu is only deployed when Shu could get the kill on his own. And what a kick in the pants that stage ending was, I avert Genocide, then it happens anyways.

There's nothing that crazy left, is there?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BlitzBlast posted:

With that said, FMW1 isn't that RNG dependent. You just need to know who is actually worth using, and the answer should be eminently obvious even if you aren't familiar with the Touhou setting.

Having never played the FMW games, I assume the answer is to find the character with the smallest hitbox and dump all your cash into the mobility equivalent..

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

Having never played the FMW games, I assume the answer is to find the character with the smallest hitbox and dump all your cash into the mobility equivalent..

This is extremely close to the truth.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hokuto posted:

This is extremely close to the truth.

TFO is the strongest. I know how this works.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
From the Chinese version video it looks like the only attacks that have subs in G Genesis are the ones that have an actual cut in. That's a little annoying if only the "right" people have cutins for their attacks. I don't really need subs to know the generic attack lines but if they hide any of the interesting ones away that's hella annoyng because half the fun is that stuff.

Only 5 weeks to go though!

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
So, I just finished my first SRW last night (It was J, pretend to be surprised). What should I dive into next?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sordas Volantyr posted:

So, I just finished my first SRW last night (It was J, pretend to be surprised). What should I dive into next?

OG1+2 for GBA have official translations, but their systems are primitive compared to J.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
More/different pilot customising and battle masteries and more balanced but single weapon style upgrading which is a goddamn nightmare after you do the all-at-once style. Other than it's Alpha Gaiden with the patch or Moon Dwellers if you want to stick to english.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Three stages from the end of MD now. I want to use Al-Van as Touya's Sub, since ranges match up very nicely, and that command aura is a wonderful bonus, but I'm not sure how I want to build him. I can take off his Chain Attack, since that's absolutely useless, but I'm not sure if I want to wait a stage to get continuous action, or go with will limit break or focused attack instead. Since while pressing forwards I'm not expecting them to kill more than maybe a squad in a turn I feel like continuous action is wasted.

Still, I feel like it was well worth feeding him most of the mooks still on the field at the end so I could get him a decent amount of PP.

On another note, Raftclans just do not hold up as endgame bosses. Way too little health, not enough damage. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I only attacked Jua-Mu like 4 times total, and he spent his turns pinging off Granteed's barrier, when he wasn't firing his MAP at a single Twin unit.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
To be fair, Ja-mu's Raftclans is the crappy one without a proper finisher. Fu-Lu, Kalo-ran and Al-Van are the real deal.

But I'll admit that Fu-Lu and Ja-mu's last battles felt so incredibly easy after the XO finale stomped me into the ground and made me use 95% of my resources.

Edit: Oh, but consider that we DID deprive Ja-mu of his actual boss unit. He would've been a bigger threat if he still had that. :v:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 22, 2016

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I would honestly say go for Alpha Gaiden. It's a complete package and you really don't need to know about the story from Alpha to enjoy it. It is much more challenging than J (But that's really only because J is um... ...not.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish they did another post-apoc game like Alpha Gaiden. This time around they could add Eureka Seven and G-Reco!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Has the Moon Dwellers encyclopedia been dumped online at all? I know it's all the same information as the standard wikis, I'm just curious.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The first Z was kind of apocalyptic. Technology was weird, communications were hobbled, and it was generally the sort of setting where you could have honest-to-god bandits.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ashsaber posted:

Three stages from the end of MD now. I want to use Al-Van as Touya's Sub, since ranges match up very nicely, and that command aura is a wonderful bonus, but I'm not sure how I want to build him. I can take off his Chain Attack, since that's absolutely useless, but I'm not sure if I want to wait a stage to get continuous action, or go with will limit break or focused attack instead. Since while pressing forwards I'm not expecting them to kill more than maybe a squad in a turn I feel like continuous action is wasted.

Still, I feel like it was well worth feeding him most of the mooks still on the field at the end so I could get him a decent amount of PP.

On another note, Raftclans just do not hold up as endgame bosses. Way too little health, not enough damage. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I only attacked Jua-Mu like 4 times total, and he spent his turns pinging off Granteed's barrier, when he wasn't firing his MAP at a single Twin unit.

You don't have many stages left so getting him Will Limit Break and Focused Attack are real good. I'd say Break Limit over Focused attack because Focused attack is +20% damage when attacking the other guy and getting +20% will is also +20% damage once you hit it AND more defence and other stuff will gets you. It comes down to whether you think you'll hit max will with him or not and you probably will. I'm pretty sure Granteed with maxed armour is literally invincible to even the final boss once he gets like 60% health so I wouldn't use being unable to damage him as the measure. Ja-Mu is a clown though.

If you want to be super cool with Al-Van get him near Calvina so you can swap him in with her so the next turn he'll Love. Al-Van's twin command is also Love which is pretty good. It wastes the accelerate/cheer/bless part from one person, so they're only getting Strike, Flash and Valour but that's still at exact value minimum depending on character. He might need a +1 range part to be able to use his finisher at the same time as hers though maybe.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Yeah, I got him Break Will Limit, though I felt the lack of Focused Attack when fighting Gu-Ladon, when I was actually fighting him. Seriously, three times using a bunch of spirit commands, restoring energy and maxing will? And I ended up wasting my dishearten chain before the first one, since somehow I didn't see it coming.

Any of the remaining bosses have really nasty surprises waiting?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just multiple rounds of Iron Wall.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
I thought Valor/Soul only counts for the unit in the front of the twin? Can a sub-unit still use it and gain the effects?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man the fight against Helluga was rough. First having to eliminate tons of tough mooks and two full-on bosses in 15 turns, then that jerk himself where if he touches a real they vanish. My suquad has a good mix, but that was still painful, I have to spend like, 150 turns or so just letting Alfimi's SP come back to recharge everyone's SP...

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm playing Z, is there any way for squad leaders to support defend?

GodofDiscord posted:

I thought Valor/Soul only counts for the unit in the front of the twin? Can a sub-unit still use it and gain the effects?

I'm 99% sure they can. Definite could in 2ndOG. It might only be on Maximum Break but they absolutely can. Support Attacks don't and in Z3's team system they don't.

Ashsaber posted:

Yeah, I got him Break Will Limit, though I felt the lack of Focused Attack when fighting Gu-Ladon, when I was actually fighting him. Seriously, three times using a bunch of spirit commands, restoring energy and maxing will? And I ended up wasting my dishearten chain before the first one, since somehow I didn't see it coming.

Any of the remaining bosses have really nasty surprises waiting?

When they do the spell thing just end turn, no point wasting your time on 1/4 damage vs a dude with strike that will annihilate your reals. Maybe do an attack with a super or someone with flash/invincible to pop the boss' flash, but you're better off just stopping. The only surprise other than mass spirit commands is locking you out of casting SP commands, so equip your big MB combos with Full Block and bring someone with Prayer or whatever the thing that cures status effects is. Conviction to be immune can get expensive.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Welp, that was an ending alright. Touya and Al-Van sat in front of the boss defending through the enemy phases, since they couldn't be hurt when turtling up. Aided by Shu/Ing and Calvina/Sally popping back and forth firing off maximum breaks and retreating it only took like 4 rounds to kill the boss. I only hit it with three twins, and it never fired off its MAP.

Definitely bringing block ability parts on everyone next time though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Welp, that was an ending alright. Touya and Al-Van sat in front of the boss defending through the enemy phases, since they couldn't be hurt when turtling up. Aided by Shu/Ing and Calvina/Sally popping back and forth firing off maximum breaks and retreating it only took like 4 rounds to kill the boss. I only hit it with three twins, and it never fired off its MAP.

Definitely bringing block ability parts on everyone next time though.

Just deploy Kusuha and park her outside of the enemy range and have her prayer-spam anyone who gets hit.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm interested in picking up the Vita G Genesis with subs when it comes out. I haven't played much SRW before, but am familiar with the gameplay a little. Do we know if this version with english subs will have full translation or only partial menu stuff?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm interested in picking up the Vita G Genesis with subs when it comes out. I haven't played much SRW before, but am familiar with the gameplay a little. Do we know if this version with english subs will have full translation or only partial menu stuff?

It's going to have a full translation.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kingtheninja posted:

If it's like their Moon Dwellers one, it will have a full translation (if somewhat mechanical at times, and prone to grammatical errors).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It looks like only attacks that get cut-ins will have subtitles though, but seeing as the rest will be variations of "you can't stop me" and "fall!" that you will skip 99% of the time after seeing them once or twice I don't think that will be too much of a negative. I'm looking forward to it. I hope it's like the Overworld games where you can pick a stage to play in any order you like to grind out suits if you want, rather than the DS style of SRW story mode with a practice map.

KoB
May 1, 2009
G Gen never really have much story anyway.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are they usually original stories using existing franchises? Or do you play through stages from the different shows?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kingtheninja posted:

Are they usually original stories using existing franchises? Or do you play through stages from the different shows?
Stages from different shows for the most part, but with twists. They only have the absolute bare minimum of storytelling though. It's like Disgaea in the sense that there's a meta level of gameplay above the story, but with even less exposition.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
This one has been said to be a pretty straight telling of the UC up to and including Unicorn. There'll be some originals but I don't know if that just means the Phoenix or whatever it is or if we'll get new fellas as well.

Other ones have had crossover stages with stuff like Athrunn and Kira defending colonies while on the inner layer of the stage the climax of War in the Pocket is happening with you as Bernie vs a midboss level Alex and the only thing you can do to not die is to attack props to make them explode on it. That was the extent of the story telling though, just "this thing is happening at the same time as another thing, have at it" and a character might say a line or two. Or the ones that had BREAKS where the first stage had you as Amuro vs Char and two Zakus and if you did something special then the map would extend and it would be Quattro, Kamille, Roberto and Apolly stealing the Mk IIs from the TItans but Shinn was trying to stop them like the start of SEED Destiny.

The one on the DS also had a messed up campaign where if you set everything up so that Amuro deployed in the Alex and then you shot him down, he actually died and so Zeon won the OYW and everything was awful. Near the end Kai Shiden launches in the Nu with the unique skill of SUPER NEWTYPE and is the ultimate dude of all time. That one was more SRW style where you just played through stages one after the other, pilots had spirit commands based on iconic lines and the grinding you did was on a simulator stage.

They're generally super light on storytelling even at their most SRW-esque, with a cutscene being maybe 5-10 lines exchanged at most before gameplay happens.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

The one on the DS also had a messed up campaign where if you set everything up so that Amuro deployed in the Alex and then you shot him down, he actually died and so Zeon won the OYW and everything was awful. Near the end Kai Shiden launches in the Nu with the unique skill of SUPER NEWTYPE and is the ultimate dude of all time. That one was more SRW style where you just played through stages one after the other, pilots had spirit commands based on iconic lines and the grinding you did was on a simulator stage.

They're generally super light on storytelling even at their most SRW-esque, with a cutscene being maybe 5-10 lines exchanged at most before gameplay happens.

If I remember this right, it's actually having Amuro and Char fight at A Baoa Qu in NG+, which now causes them to get a mutual kill on each other. Besides Super Kai, you also get to save the Cyclops Team instead of getting Chris and Bernie, Flay joins you as a pilot, and things just generally go insane.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I am all on board for the fanfiction where Kai Shiden becomes a super newtype, that's amazing.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Hokuto posted:

I am all on board for the fanfiction where Kai Shiden becomes a super newtype, that's amazing.

It's also the Zeta-era Kai with the nice suit, just to make things even better.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Isn't Kai becoming a super newtype basically what happens in the Gundam novel?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the reason you get Kai Shiden in the Nu in that path split is that it actually is the Gundam *novel* ending. Amuro dies and Kai becomes the Federation's top ace and this is of course Bad End because everything is hosed up and you're stuck using like the EA Drug Boys, Dominion, Johnny Ridden and Cima Garahu to save the world.

The other funny thing is that GGen DS came out while Destiny was airing for the first time and so it actually was the first inclusion of the Destiny guys... except because they had so little to go on it was just Shin, Luna and Rey plus a bonus Saviour Gundam and Durandal is hanging out on the sidelines being mysteriously foreboding but never does anything.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 25, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the reason you get Kai Shiden in the Nu in that path split is that it actually is the Gundam *novel* ending. Amuro dies and Kai becomes the Federation's top ace

I never knew this but I am so happy to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just realized that by preordering the VIta version, I've locked myself out of the Hathaway's Flash DLC (since you can't just switch accounts on a Vita). Unless there'S some way of installing the DLC by passing through a PS3?

• Locked thread