Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anybody got the photo of the suspended UPS and switch from one of the IT threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody got the photo of the suspended UPS and switch from one of the IT threads?

Yes..

But not on this PC. (Its buried in my OneDrive somewhere.. Ugh) :negative:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
A cool and good solution to get a "bash here" prompt in Explorer that works perfectly.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/60125-open-bash-window-here-context-menu-add-windows-10-a.html

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I want to control my PC remotely with the iOS Microsoft RDP client. Is it a bad idea to port forward? What precautions should I take?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

bigis posted:

I want to control my PC remotely with the iOS Microsoft RDP client. Is it a bad idea to port forward? What precautions should I take?

Make sure you are using the highest security settings and a decent password and you should be fine.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Nonstandard port is probably also a good idea

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So I've upgraded to the latest version in Windows 10 and I find out that windows no longer supports my wireless adapter. Do I need to worry about driver support if I just give up and buy a wifi card?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So I've upgraded to the latest version in Windows 10 and I find out that windows no longer supports my wireless adapter. Do I need to worry about driver support if I just give up and buy a wifi card?

Companies with like 5 consonants in their name rarely update their poo poo. If you buy an Intel card or something, chances are it'll work for a long time going forward.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Just buy TP Link whatever for your networking gear it's the sweet spot for price/performance nowadays if you're stuck needing an upgrade.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bigis posted:

Get a VPN set up

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's the preferred tool for managing network bandwidth in Windows 10? Downloading larger games during daytime on my 16MBit DSL line messes really hard with browsing, because the downstream is getting overloaded, if said downloader uses a decent set of servers. I found out about NetBalancer, but that app looks kind of funny in a bad way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the preferred tool for managing network bandwidth in Windows 10? Downloading larger games during daytime on my 16MBit DSL line messes really hard with browsing, because the downstream is getting overloaded, if said downloader uses a decent set of servers. I found out about NetBalancer, but that app looks kind of funny in a bad way.

1) get a decent router / a cheap one that you can install dd-wrt or tomato on, and enable QOS management. Do this anyways, your computers should be behind a firewall not plugged directly into the net. If the modem you got from your ISP has a router & wireless AP built-in, it is bad and slow at being a router. You should turn that poo poo off so that it is just be a plain modem, and get a real router.

2) if downloading games is the issue, use steam's built in bandwidth limiter. If it's possible to do it per-app rather than install a program that's gonna muck with the network at the OS level, that's vastly preferable.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just a heads up for anyone experiencing this: the latest Nvidia drivers have a bug where it fucks with the start menu and mail app. Start menu icons freeze while re-arranging them, and the mail app crashes when you open an email.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just a heads up for anyone experiencing this: the latest Nvidia drivers have a bug where it fucks with the start menu and mail app. Start menu icons freeze while re-arranging them, and the mail app crashes when you open an email.

Ugh, and nVidia never met a driver issue it couldn't punt.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Literally came to the thread to post about this problem with the lovely mail app. I... did not expect something so specific to be commented on. Thanks.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 23, 2016

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Node posted:

Literally came to the thread to post about this problem with the lovely mail app. I... did not expect something so specific to be commented on. Thanks.

Same here. What a weird defect.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have you tried installing the driver anyway? I have a Linksys adapter that doesn't have Windows 10 drivers, but it works fine with the Windows 7 driver.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They've quickly released new 375.63 hotfix drivers that claim to fix both bugs.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MutantBlue posted:

They've quickly released new 375.63 hotfix drivers that claim to fix both bugs.

Yeah, just installed it. Mail app seems fine now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

1) get a decent router / a cheap one that you can install dd-wrt or tomato on, and enable QOS management. Do this anyways, your computers should be behind a firewall not plugged directly into the net. If the modem you got from your ISP has a router & wireless AP built-in, it is bad and slow at being a router. You should turn that poo poo off so that it is just be a plain modem, and get a real router.

2) if downloading games is the issue, use steam's built in bandwidth limiter. If it's possible to do it per-app rather than install a program that's gonna muck with the network at the OS level, that's vastly preferable.
I have a FritzBox that does QoS. The issue is mostly when the downstream gets overloaded. It was a game with its own downloader.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Anyone have any idea why Windows would start complaining (and sometimes force closing applications) that I have low RAM whenever I have less than half my RAM? I've got 16 gigs so having Windows start closing poo poo, or at the very least popping up nag windows, when I have just under 8GB left is pretty damned obnoxious.

It's been happening since Windows 8 I think. I've kinda just been hoping a Windows update sometime would magically fix it. But that hasn't happened yet and it's starting to get rather old.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Spek posted:

Anyone have any idea why Windows would start complaining (and sometimes force closing applications) that I have low RAM whenever I have less than half my RAM? I've got 16 gigs so having Windows start closing poo poo, or at the very least popping up nag windows, when I have just under 8GB left is pretty damned obnoxious.

It's been happening since Windows 8 I think. I've kinda just been hoping a Windows update sometime would magically fix it. But that hasn't happened yet and it's starting to get rather old.

Did you apply some 'super performance tweaks' that might have disabled your swapfile?

Programs are dumb and always ask for more memory than they actually need. Windows (and other OSes too) know this and assume programs are lying when they say they really need all that memory, so they won't actually allocate the memory to the process immediately -- but the OS does need to keep track that the process had asked for it, so they can provide it as needed if the program actually starts trying to use it. This is called 'overcommit'. This might be why Windows is saying memory is low when it doesn't appear to be, because if it really had to make good on all those promises it made to processes, it'd run out of memory. This is really why you want to have a swapfile even though you have plenty of RAM; because it provides a ton of space to act as insurance against those overcommits.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 27, 2016

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

biznatchio posted:

Did you apply some 'super performance tweaks' that might have disabled your swapfile?
At one point I had a 128 gig SSD as my primary and had disabled the pagefile, is that the same as the swapfile? Either way I've long since re-enabled the pagefile after upgrading to a 512GB SSD but I cloned the install over, and done a windows 8 and then 10 upgrades since then, and so maybe some weird old hidden away setting I'm not aware of is screwing with it?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Spek posted:

At one point I had a 128 gig SSD as my primary and had disabled the pagefile, is that the same as the swapfile? Either way I've long since re-enabled the pagefile after upgrading to a 512GB SSD but I cloned the install over, and done a windows 8 and then 10 upgrades since then, and so maybe some weird old hidden away setting I'm not aware of is screwing with it?

Yeah, pagefile and swapfile are the same thing for this discussion. You can check your current settings by opening the Settings app, going to System, to the About page, clicking the "System Info" link at the bottom, then going to the "Advanced system settings" link on the left. In the dialog that opens, on the Advanced tab, click the Settings button under the Performance section, go to the Advanced tab, and check "Total paging file size" under the Virtual Memory section; make sure it's not zero or some other incredibly low number.

You can go into the Change... button and verify that at least one drive (that's not full or near full) has it set to "System managed".

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 27, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Spek posted:

At one point I had a 128 gig SSD as my primary and had disabled the pagefile, is that the same as the swapfile?
Yes.

If you re-enabled it by setting a custom page file rather than checking "automatically manage paging", it can get messed up by changing drives and possibly by the OS upgrades. Anyways:
right click my computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced -> performance settings -> advanced -> virtual memory

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It's 2016 and people are still disabling their swap files. With Microsoft so eager to remove control from the end user, why haven't they removed that from the system properties control panel? Just leave the option for people to pick which drive it lives on, and keep everything else as automatically managed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xamphear posted:

It's 2016 and people are still disabling their swap files. With Microsoft so eager to remove control from the end user, why haven't they removed that from the system properties control panel? Just leave the option for people to pick which drive it lives on, and keep everything else as automatically managed.

Because it's important to be able to remove the page file in strange cases like when it bloats to 100 GB or whatever. And it's also important to be able to manage what drive it goes to on multiple drive systems.

You really have to go out of your way to disable it, as is.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xamphear posted:

Because Windows 10 is an operating system, not an embedded device.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

biznatchio posted:

Yeah, pagefile and swapfile are the same thing for this discussion. You can check your current settings by opening the Settings app, going to System, to the About page, clicking the "System Info" link at the bottom, then going to the "Advanced system settings" link on the left.

Just a FYI, you can do Win+Break to go straight to that screen. It's for when your poo poo breaks y'see :mmmhmm:

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Having trouble on a fresh Windows 10 install. Anytime I try to open image files using right click -> edit I get an error "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file yada yada yada". It does it for all image files except for .png it seems. Anyone know how to fix? :ohdear:

edit: They're from my previous computer that I had to rebuild if that matters.

Tugboat Willy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 28, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any particular reason why the Malicious Software Removal Tool (i.e. MRT.EXE) is like 140MB? The hell?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lots of malice around Halloween :spooky:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any particular reason why the Malicious Software Removal Tool (i.e. MRT.EXE) is like 140MB? The hell?

Ambiguous name. It's not "Tool That Removes Malicious Software."

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's a standalone version of defender/security essentials and comes with its own signature database.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Ambiguous name. It's not "Tool That Removes Malicious Software."
Signed executable who has the quoted name in its metadata.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So Windows decided to make my Program Files (x86) folder display as if it were a music folder, and unlike my other Program Files folder it lacks the customize tab under folder properties so I can't change it, like wut. Anyone know how I can fix this weird thing.

Program Files optimized for "General" viewing, and how it should be .

Program Files (x86) as "Music" gross.

Missing Tab.

Program Files (x86) even has a different right click context menu...

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If I add my Microsoft account to two different computers that were upgraded from 7, do both digital entitlement licences get associated with the account? What happens if format a machine or want to transfer the licence or something like that, would I get a choice of what licence to activate after signing in?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is it possible to install win 10 with only a keyboard and no mouse? I have a couple of apple wireless mice and was planning on using my ipad as a trackpad once I got the system up and going but can't install.

What is the keyboard shortcut to open drop down menus so I can change the default regional settings. That's what stumped me.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
Just hit space with the dropdown focused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Should be able to <tab> to the various fields and then either space or up/down arrows to make the selection.