Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Awesome, thanks for the info. Now I feel dumb for shooting it into the air ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I assume the whole can't connect online is due to the dns attacks vs anything on my end. Like I can't even get battle log or whatever is used now to show up.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gfanikf posted:

I assume the whole can't connect online is due to the dns attacks vs anything on my end. Like I can't even get battle log or whatever is used now to show up.

Yes, it is down worldwide.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I wonder if this is how it's going to go for the next few months. Big multiplayer game comes out, servers are nuked by hackers for the opening weekend because they have nothing better to do. Could see this happening again in time for Titanfall and CoD.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If it is the DDoS, calling them "hackers" is too generous. They're script kiddies.

omgwtfmate
Sep 8, 2016

Gunder posted:

I wonder if this is how it's going to go for the next few months. Big multiplayer game comes out, servers are nuked by hackers for the opening weekend because they have nothing better to do. Could see this happening again in time for Titanfall and CoD.

I agree with you that we may see big attacks for multiplayer launches but I think this is way bigger than even call of duty. This is probably the biggest DDoS attack in history.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gonkish posted:

If it is the DDoS, calling them "hackers" is too generous. They're script kiddies.

I'm pretty sure they just club together the funds and pay some shell company in some organised crime syndicate online to do it as well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The intro voiceover for the desert Operation is the most smugly British thing ever, I love it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Yeah the whole "Storm of Steel" title for the opening chapter got me all excited then I felt let down. The lack of any Central Powers experiences is a mistake in my opinion. Also the absolutely ridiculous way some of the characters in the game present themselves completely pulled me out of the experience a few times. Lawrence of Arabia's arrival had me fall of my chair laughing because I've been reading "Revolt in the Desert" on and off the last few months and holy moses I don't think he was a swaggering popcorn movie action hero.

There's just a ton of missed opportunities. Nothing is explained of the Ottoman Empire's complex relationship with Arab tribes. There is no close look at the Harlem Hellfighters experience being practically ignored by the US but utilized and respected by the French to the extent they became one of the most famous fighting forces of 1918. The en--masse butchery of Anzacs in the Dardanelles is somewhat reduced to a special force dudes being a cool dude. And the world's largest LOL at friends in high places.

But this perspective comes from a history-nerd Warsperg with a degree in political geography. This is a Battlefield game first and a historical narrative somewhat further down the line. It handles the war much better than the Medals of Honor and the Calls of Duty that precipitated the age of WW2 game everything. For a starting exposure to WW1 for general audience, it does a great job of showing that these narratives existed via a AAA big budget media product. I'm hoping that we will get an inevitable flood of WW1 games, movies and television in the coming years, many of which will do a much better job of exploring these histories.

All that and we still get the radddest FPS explosion-carnival ever. The campaign is a series of explosive and exciting set pieces, it completely succeeds at being an arcadey spectacle. It's even fun! I'm ok with that.

agreed. COD has always had the better SP campaigns, but this does it pretty well, it feels more like an anthology of personal stories then some straight thing which is a cool difference. yeah i kinda wish there were more of them(maybe like 10 or 8) and it lacks in scale sometimes and historical opportunity(explanations for stuff other fronts/etc) but it does the job well enough and is pretty great and fun and doesnt over stay its welcome. maybe other devs will make cool WW1 games now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How does DNS outages hit this? I though DNS servers just control https://www.websitename.com --> IP address ?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The campaigns a step up in that it isn't incomprehensible like BF4 was

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Also for those curious you can read the codex stuff as well on the Battlefield 1 website logged in.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

I love Dunkey but this video makes no sense. First he complains that its too fast paced and he's dying all the time (which really is his own fault for spawning into lovely places, and also being bad) and then he complains that capping points is boring because there is no one in the game? I mean I definitely shouldn't be reading that much into a dunkey video.

s.i.r.e. posted:

How does the Spotting Flare work? Is it line of sight or and area?

It'll spot in an area around it where it lands no LoS required. Its basically the old wiz ball. It will also light people on fire if they get too close to it doing up to 25 damage.

Also note that it only spots on the minimap, not 3d.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

SeanBeansShako posted:

And after the 1st crash half of it might not even be the truth cause the dude is a lying dick.

Operations sound amazing, I hope DICE and the Battlefield community think of just doing a weekly Operations event to keep the game mode chugging now.

I've left "Usage Data" on, and I hope DICE see people like me doing nothing but Operations. It's fun as hell and I really want them to continue to support and develop it. Each DLC is supposed to have 4 more maps, so thats 1-2 more Operations per DLC potentially, and if they allowed custom servers to run Operations in perpetuity, it would be amazing.

And if they allowed those servers to run single maps in the Operations mode, or even to create custom Operations by selecting the maps, etc? :syoon:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

How does DNS outages hit this? I though DNS servers just control https://www.websitename.com --> IP address ?

Every internet connection has to connect through a DNS server to connect to the outside world

website -> DNS -> Your comp

game -> DNS -> Your comp

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

frank.club posted:

The campaigns a step up in that it isn't incomprehensible like BF4 was

oh for sure. 3 and 4 are basicaly really lovely non interesting air port fiction. at least with the various cods they have some ok characters but battlefield 3 and 4 has zilch.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh for sure. 3 and 4 are basicaly really lovely non interesting air port fiction. at least with the various cods they have some ok characters but battlefield 3 and 4 has zilch.

Lies Battlefield 4 had a Chinese woman who was cool calm and collected and a black dude who's totally wasn't from Detroit that threw a fit the entire time like a slapstick comic and a bunch of really memorable white guys in differentiated uniforms with well defined personalities.

Oh also a lot of PLA that looked like evil doom ninjas ready to karate chop America in the neck and Russians you shot up because reasons.

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 21, 2016

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Oh I also forgot about RECKER he was important I think.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I thought the Battlefield 4 single player did an excellent job making you feel the exhaustion with battle that the main character would have felt during his ordeal

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Because it was so boring

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the verdict guys? Is the multiplayer fun and actually good?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

bear is driving! posted:

In other news, this is the first time in a long while where I like Battlefield WAY more than Call of Duty. I'm thinking I'm gonna try to put together an Xbox One group for goons.

Is there already a group for people on PS4? Would love to play with a few goons, even if I do completely suck at this game.

Tab8715 posted:

Its very fun and very good!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Tab8715 posted:

MP is good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Change the thread title to game's good

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Change the thread title to game's good

BATTLEFIELD 1 - THE WAR IS ALREADY GREAT

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Battlefield 1: ITT the Germans won and the DICE made a game that is fun and not horribly broken.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Didn't they nerf tanks from the beta? Please tell me they didn't...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Battlefield 1: We Forgot the Russians

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Tab8715 posted:

They said they were going to change the Light Tank to not be so poweful but honestly i've not seen it be much of a problem since the other maps are SO much better than Sanai Desert. You actually have conclement and cover to help you deal with the tank's bullshit.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Every internet connection has to connect through a DNS server to connect to the outside world

website -> DNS -> Your comp

game -> DNS -> Your comp

Uhh no. If its trying to make a connection to you (through your gateway) and it doesnt already know your ip address sure but when would that happen. If the connection originates on your computer as it should, no. Also the connection is not 'through' your DNS server.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Has anyone tried the new nvidia drivers for the game yet? Also I bet that DX12 is absolute rear end like always right?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Battlefieild 1: So an Englishman, Irishman, and a Welshman walk into a tank...

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Has anyone tried the new nvidia drivers for the game yet? Also I bet that DX12 is absolute rear end like always right?

New driver immediately made my game crash, on a 680gtx.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Battlefield 1: I spawn, I eat a bayonet, I spawn again.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tab8715 posted:

They did nerf the light tank some. It no longer has a 360 degree turret. Armor isn't quite as strong either. Less shots before you have to reload too. Still can wreck house with it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cao Ni Ma posted:

DX12 is still kinda worse and stutters more compared to dx11 for Nvidia Pascal cards

omgwtfmate
Sep 8, 2016
Can someone explain if there is some sort of map indicator during Operations when it says "a tank hunter has been located". I have no idea where they are on the maps when it says that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gas grenades own. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Takes more than a script to coordinate the kind of event that you read about in the papers. We got a taste a couple of weeks back when some security researcher got hit by the largest DDoS until then, and it was originating from compromised IoT devices. There were test runs before that. Now they've aimed it at critical infra to see how people respond. They're not dumb.

Captain Beans posted:

Can't play if you (or the game servers) can't reach content/authentication backends.