Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Truga posted:

A minor spoiler for the last level currently available for this game, the platform the players stands for starts moving as soon as you kill the first couple of dudes, and keeps moving until you get to boss.

It basically feels less like a wave shooter and more like a shmup. I guess you can say a shmup is just a wave shooter with a scrolling background (because that's what it is), but it disguises the wave shooter really well, and I hope later levels will have more of that, because I love shmups, and little did I know they own even more in VR. And that's just after one fairly short level.

Well, thats good to hear its at least a well done wave shooter. Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound too salty about it or anything, I just personally don't enjoy them and it bummed me out since I had fond memories of the old serious sam and was looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guys guys Valve and Oculus and HTC has been doing it wrong with these giant headsets all the time. Why don't they just make a headset the size of a pair of sunglasses that automatically track your hands without needing any special controllers? :downs:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/203407287/dlodlo-v1-opening-a-new-world-of-vr

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

gonna buy I dildo v1

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I can't wait to enter the Mega Space Hole in my Dildo v1

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Guys guys Valve and Oculus and HTC has been doing it wrong with these giant headsets all the time. Why don't they just make a headset the size of a pair of sunglasses that automatically track your hands without needing any special controllers? :downs:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/203407287/dlodlo-v1-opening-a-new-world-of-vr

I can absolutely believe that it's possible to construct that prototype right now. But the lens fresnel effect is going to be glaring, the tracking will be on the level of GearVR and it won't be $500 per unit.

I also note that while they work hard to imply that the glasses do hand tracking themselves, they don't actually commit to this anywhere.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The person originally posting it in the awful kickstarters thread also pointed out that it breaks Kickstarter's rules by offering a physical product without showing a functional prototype.

They added that rule after people kept getting scammed by products that promised the world but had nothing but shiny renders to show and whose function relied on breaking the second law of thermodynamics.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm the screenshot from Pacific Rim

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

The person originally posting it in the awful kickstarters thread also pointed out that it breaks Kickstarter's rules by offering a physical product without showing a functional prototype.

They added that rule after people kept getting scammed by products that promised the world but had nothing but shiny renders to show and whose function relied on breaking the second law of thermodynamics.

Also when you just glance at the name, it looks like dildo.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

They've demoed earlier versions with the press so it's probably non entirely smoke and mirrors, it's basically an external display(s) for your smartphone or computer

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

It sounds like various journalists have had demos of a prototype, though. Is the problem that they've only demoed the glasses, not the tablet computer?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does kickstarter even vet entries, or can anyone sign up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is no vetting process. The rule is that if you are selling a physical product, you have to have a working prototype. Even without that, it's difficult to get Kickstarter to do anything about an obvious scam. Crowdfunding is pretty much dead except for a few types of products. If you are selling a physical product with no electronics, expect it to be on Alibaba before you even finish your kickstarter campaign. Some guy invented a phone case that would also expand out to be a selfie stick as well as a kickstand for the phone. His campaign didn't even end before the Chinese factories had already copied his idea and started selling it for 1/3 the price. Then his backers were bitching because they paid more for his version when they could have bought a knockoff. If it's electronic and you have a Chinese factory make a prototype or an engineering example or whatever, it will be on sale before you can even get your production run going. The people running factories over there either don't have a concept of IP theft or they don't care because you can't sue them. Even if you do sue one, you have to sue all the other factories making the same product, which is impossible. Then you have kickstarter campaigns that are just Alibaba resells. People originally thought these were scams to sell something they found on Alibaba but it turns out it was just the company making the product for sale on Alibaba also doing a Kickstarter to get the attention of westerners.

All that's left are video game campaigns that will end in tragedy as someone with an important sounding title but no actual contribution to the game stealing all the money. That happened to that guy making the ant game. He was the only person working on the game and it looked really good. Then it turned out the three people he did the campaign with spent all the money on strippers and fancy dinners without him and he had nothing left. He couldn't even keep working on the game for free since they technically had the rights to part of it.

Don't get me started on Indiegogo AKA "our campaign was so bad that Kickstarter actually shut us down so we're here now." Search for "Skarp."

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 18, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://store.steampowered.com/app/518580/

Accounting is out, requires controllers so Vive only for now. I hope it increases your productivity.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Wasn't Eagle Flight releasing today? I'm not seeing any news on it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

DrBox posted:

Wasn't Eagle Flight releasing today? I'm not seeing any news on it.

Yeah it's out. Couple reviews:
http://uploadvr.com/own-the-skies-eagle-flight-review/
http://www.roadtovr.com/eagle-flight-review-vr-psvr-htc-vive-oculus-rift/

I'll probably pick it up, but I really hope they end up letting those of us that want to turn off the comfort FOV that gets smaller.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Very neat.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Make sure you buy it from the Oculus store unless you have a discount on the Ubisoft store. It's $45 CAD on Oculus home and $60 CAD on uPlay.

Edit: Eagle Flight review -
After playing around 30 minutes it seems really cool. Flew around the city and felt pretty great. Keep in mind I never did fully get my "VR legs" so a lot of movement from a seated position tends to make me feel bad. Those hard leans to do a u-turn bring on the pukey feeling a little. What made me stop for now was a race in the subway. I was racing through doing quick turns left and right feeling ok, but a few crashes even though it cuts to black instantly still made me uncomfortable. They did a really good job with the fov closing in when moving quickly. You don't really notice unless you are looking for it. I am not sure how much it helps since I can't find a way to turn it off, but if you're fine in Elite or other such games I think you'll be more than fine here.

Can't speak too much to the content yet since I only did the first three missions but it runs really well on my 970 and it looks fantastic.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 19, 2016

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
If you didn't know, Squanchtendo is releasing their first game today called Accounting for the Vive. This is a collaboration between Justin Roiland (Coc-creator of Rick and Morty) and Crows Crows Crows (Stanley Parable).

I've done a let's play of it, though I highly recommend playing it yourself first if you can. You can find a MIXED REALITY (oooo fancy) LP here: http://bit.ly/letsquanch

Happy squanching!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That was pretty great. Can't believe it's free - sure, it's short, but that was totally worth a few dollars.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'm always amazed what little things brings me presence. A very large character in Accounting VR (no spoilers) really made me jump the first time he piped up.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I really like Eagle Flight. It's probably too much money for the game it is, but it's a great experience to feel like a bird flying around. It just made me really happy.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

There is no vetting process. The rule is that if you are selling a physical product, you have to have a working prototype. Even without that, it's difficult to get Kickstarter to do anything about an obvious scam. Crowdfunding is pretty much dead except for a few types of products. If you are selling a physical product with no electronics, expect it to be on Alibaba before you even finish your kickstarter campaign. Some guy invented a phone case that would also expand out to be a selfie stick as well as a kickstand for the phone. His campaign didn't even end before the Chinese factories had already copied his idea and started selling it for 1/3 the price. Then his backers were bitching because they paid more for his version when they could have bought a knockoff. If it's electronic and you have a Chinese factory make a prototype or an engineering example or whatever, it will be on sale before you can even get your production run going. The people running factories over there either don't have a concept of IP theft or they don't care because you can't sue them. Even if you do sue one, you have to sue all the other factories making the same product, which is impossible. Then you have kickstarter campaigns that are just Alibaba resells. People originally thought these were scams to sell something they found on Alibaba but it turns out it was just the company making the product for sale on Alibaba also doing a Kickstarter to get the attention of westerners.

All that's left are video game campaigns that will end in tragedy as someone with an important sounding title but no actual contribution to the game stealing all the money. That happened to that guy making the ant game. He was the only person working on the game and it looked really good. Then it turned out the three people he did the campaign with spent all the money on strippers and fancy dinners without him and he had nothing left. He couldn't even keep working on the game for free since they technically had the rights to part of it.

Don't get me started on Indiegogo AKA "our campaign was so bad that Kickstarter actually shut us down so we're here now." Search for "Skarp."

This was interesting, I never knew about the whole Chinese factory angle.

Never fear though, crowdfunding is saved... Have you heard of Fig? (I couldn't even type that with a straight face)

Accounting made me hungry for a full blown adventure game in that style. Make it a bit more puzzle-y and make it last a few hours. Toonstruk, Rama, Day of the Tentacle... I'd love for VR to make that style of game big again.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was just thinking, I could probably get into point and click adventure games if they were in VR.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Cyan are still claiming that Obduction VR will be a thing any day now.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Someone on reddit posted a page from a booklet HTC are now including with Vives, and holy poo poo my IPD was waaay out (I thought it would be larger than default instead of smaller). You'll need to use an actual ruler if you're doing this yourself, but it's nice to not have eye strain after playing for a change.

Source

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

That is... significantly less elegant than the Oculus solution.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I have this booklet and interestingly enough my IPD is smaller than the minimum setting that the Vive reaches, so I have to set it to minimum and hope it's good enough. I don't even think I have an overly small or narrow head.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

"Pocket VR computer"

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Black Mirror season 3 drops today on Netflix, and I feel like the only proper way to watch this will be in VR in a dark room with a protein shake-slurry through a sippy straw as the movie snack.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Icedude posted:

Someone on reddit posted a page from a booklet HTC are now including with Vives, and holy poo poo my IPD was waaay out (I thought it would be larger than default instead of smaller). You'll need to use an actual ruler if you're doing this yourself, but it's nice to not have eye strain after playing for a change.

Source

This... seems like a bit much to use a gadget. Speaking of though, I never thought about it, but does PSVR even have adjustments for IPD? Isn't it using just one screen like the DK2?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tom Guycot posted:

This... seems like a bit much to use a gadget. Speaking of though, I never thought about it, but does PSVR even have adjustments for IPD? Isn't it using just one screen like the DK2?

It claims to have software IPD, which is probably just informing the renderer what camera separation to use. It's configured by having the camera take a picture of your face and identifying your pupils on the image, which is kinda neat.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

This... seems like a bit much to use a gadget.
You can still configure it by adjusting the knob until things are clear, same as on the Rift; this is just more accurate. Ideally you should do the same thing on the Rift to get the world scale exactly right.

Tom Guycot posted:

Speaking of though, I never thought about it, but does PSVR even have adjustments for IPD? Isn't it using just one screen like the DK2?
Software only, unfortunately, which isn't ideal. The lenses work decently for a moderate range of IPDs, but it's not as large as it is on the PC headsets.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Icedude posted:

Source

I'm the 120mm IPD

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The rift has an actual IPD configuration and alignment screen.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The rift has an actual IPD configuration and alignment screen.
Yeah, all three major headsets do.

The GearVR doesn't, though, which kind of sucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah, all three major headsets do.

The GearVR doesn't, though, which kind of sucks.

Did SteamVR add something? Last I checked, the Vive puts up a number on screen when you turn the knob but no actual screen to test it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Did SteamVR add something? Last I checked, the Vive puts up a number on screen when you turn the knob but no actual screen to test it.
It has been a while since I used the Vive, but I don't think it has an example 3D scene or anything, if that's what you're asking. It's just some text and 2D graphics.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

It has been a while since I used the Vive, but I don't think it has an example 3D scene or anything, if that's what you're asking. It's just some text and 2D graphics.

That's news to me, otherwise I wouldn't have needed that ruler thing to set my IPD at all :shrug:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

This... seems like a bit much to use a gadget.

let's face it, you've already ruined your walls for this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Lemming posted:

I'm the 120mm IPD

Hi Uma