Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dissss posted:

Does the grille off the next model up fit too? Might be a good next upgrade.
The series 2 Forte had a different bonnet. The only changes you could do to the grille is run the egg crate grille that was fitted to the ute, or the more boring one that was fitted to the Futura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What market is that car from? The headlights look absolutely nothing like the ones we got (US). For that matter, the US market one is a lot more... subdued.

IIRC the US market ST got the same headlights as the regular Focus models, except with part of the housing blacked out. But I don't think we got it until 2002? either.

The Fiesta got the same lights as the Focus?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What market is that car from? The headlights look absolutely nothing like the ones we got (US). For that matter, the US market one is a lot more... subdued.

IIRC the US market ST got the same headlights as the regular Focus models, except with part of the housing blacked out. But I don't think we got it until 2002? either.

It's a Japense market Fiesta, so next size down from the Focus. 150HP version of the 2l which makes for a fun little car.

You Am I posted:

The series 2 Forte had a different bonnet. The only changes you could do to the grille is run the egg crate grille that was fitted to the ute, or the more boring one that was fitted to the Futura

Yeah I was thinking the Futura one. You're right though, now that I'm looking at pictures it mightn't be much of an upgrade

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a Fiesta? :doh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 24, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's a Fiesta? :doh:

I did wonder is the US market had done some crazy parts bin type poo poo for their cars :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

In my defense, we didn't get the Fiesta here until the 2011 model year. Unless you count the mk2 tin can.

Who built the mk2 anyway? I could have sworn it was a Korean-built car, but Google is failing me. Maybe I'm mixing it up with another car from the same era..
ignore this poo poo

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 24, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The mk2:

quote:

Manufacturer
Ford Europe

Production
1983–1989

Assembly
Almussafes, Spain (Ford Valencia)
Dagenham, United Kingdom (Ford Dagenham)
Cologne, Germany (CB&A)
Saarlouis, Germany (SB&A)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe you're thinking of the Festiva?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Godfuckingdamnit. Yes I am. I'm a loving idiot.

I've been awake way too long.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Godfuckingdamnit. Yes I am. I'm a loving idiot.

I've been awake way too long.

go2sleep

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I replaced the front O2 sensor and now I have no failure codes. That combined with replacing most of the exhaust makes me ready to go for an e-test tomorrow!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

stevobob posted:

I replaced the front O2 sensor and now I have no failure codes. That combined with replacing most of the exhaust makes me ready to go for an e-test tomorrow!

Are you absolutely sure everything's actually ready? :v:

I've digged taking out the 'vert for the last few weeks of odd warmth. Drove the daily sedan today. Holy poo poo is it quiet- I had just kind of grown used to the noise that permeates canvas (the three times I've left the top up)!

I intend on swapping out my airbag for a newer unit with a 2004+ setup (to work with my backported SID), but it's now 19:27, so I'm probably not gonna get to that today. The pinout on my replacement rearview is wrong gender, but I haven't decided if I am going to actually set it up properly, or just tap into a nearby accessory to get switched power (for new compass and HomeLink).

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

You Am I posted:

God those hub caps on the series 1 AU Forte were loving ugly. Nice upgrade

I've always considered the AU's styling to be like Duplo to the Lego of other cars... Big and chunky and seemingly designed to be operated by people with very poor fine motor skills. Oddly enough though, it's fairly pleasant to drive, and other than sounding like a taxi, it gets down the road like a couch on wheels.

As a bonus I flogged my old steelies and hubcaps to a bloke on Gumtree for $50.

tobu posted:

I recently drove an AU for the first time and that torque is mental on gravel. It probably wasn't helped by the large amount of play in the throttle but still one hell of a one wheel spinner.

Yeah. After I swapped the wheels and replaced the balding mismatched tyres (three brands, same either side on the front, different on the rear), I discovered that this will break loose with a sharp prod of the throttle off the line. I got it for free a week or so ago, so don't hold the tyre situation against me.

It doesn't have an LSD but it's live axle so they are cheap and plentiful should I wish to upgrade my burnout capabilities from sick to fully sick. ;)

dissss posted:

Does the grille off the next model up fit too? Might be a good next upgrade.

Probably, but I don't mind the waterfall grille. Mine is faded to almost bare plastic on one side though. I bought some plastic primer, a rattle can of clear, and one of smoke grey metallic, which is quite a bit darker than the original. Should look OK once it's painted and after I polish up the headlights.

Today I went from this ugly grey flaking polyurethane wheel and scratched up airbag:

To this freshly dyed perforated leather XR6 steering wheel, and nice dark grey airbag:

And in the process, did this:

Made my own resistor ladder (It's in that black tube of heat shrink at the bottom of the wheel frame) compatible with the Sony headunit that came with the car, connected it to the OEM steering controls, and now the factory steering wheel controls plug directly into the aftermarket stereo via the wire in the OEM stereo connector. gently caress paying $80 for a control adapter when this cost less than a dollar and does the same thing. Bonus is that I can add more buttons for other functions (say, on the back of the OEM controls) whenever I want. I also like elegant solutions to problems like this. :)

Also tidied up the stereo wiring with solder and heat shrink and rewrapped the loom - Whoever installed this used twist and tape, which are just a bunch of horrible sticky little electrical handshakes.

Works a treat, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjrGsrb6jZk

After that, I hired a Britex machine, pulled out the seats and cleaned them, and cleaned and scrubbed the carpets and the boot carpet and trim, then Febreezed the ever loving poo poo out of everything. The Britex recovery tank was black and full of mud at the bottom... At least now the car no longer smells like cigarette butts and old people.

Will have more updates once the assload of new and used parts I've ordered for it finally start arriving.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Managed to coast to a gas station before I blew a head gasket.

Something's not right...

Ah! One gas station had water and duct tape, and that got me a half-mile down the road to the next, which had hose clamps.

I made it home, hopped on the bike, and got a new radiator hose.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Top class bodging! In the profile shot do the pipes stop under the passenger compartment??

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Whoops!

Looks like your fan has suffered in the process too, in case you didn't notice.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

West SAAB Story posted:

Are you absolutely sure everything's actually ready? :v:

Seems like it, according to Torque all the emissions tests pass successfully and I have no CEL now two days later. Sure hope so!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsybeV3jppM

Finally got my old 1965 Ford Falcon ute running again. I was given the wrong carburettor after the original had gone missing from the repair shop, and finally got the proper one back (however it isn't the original one).

Well, it's almost the same. The only issue is that the air cleaner is supposed to be held on with a butterfly bolt, but for some reason someone has made this awful mount with a self tapping bolt in it. Ah well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Swapped out some fluids (oil, trans, diff) on the G35. It only has 49k miles but I don't think the drivetrain ever had the fluids swapped. Trans looked fine, but the diff was definitely ready.

:barf:

The oil pan and filter setup is pretty awesome for oil changes, like it was designed to be serviced or something. Only problem is the undertray has to come off and it must have 25 bolts holding it on.

Also replaced the compression rod arms. These bushings fail all the time even with low miles like mine. I went with the "premium" part on rock auto in hopes that the bushing is better quality, and hilariously the entire arm was polished. It looks kind of ridiculous under there with everything else (other arms are cast aluminum). It did not stop me from hammering it on. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I cut up the remainder of the red forester today, leaving the drivetrain laying on the ground for tomorrow. Good riddance.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I feel sort of lazy because all I did was replace the rotors and pads on my Subaru with a quick jaunt to hit the crumbling-in-my-hands dust shields with barbeque paint after abrading them of loose surface rust by repeatedly dropping them onto a concrete floor.

Easy days are nice.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This goes in tomorrow! PO did a muffler delete and I've been driving with that poo poo for over a year.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yesterday I took the C70 to get inspected, whereupon it failed for the right balljoint, sway bar endlinks, rear brakes, and one of the wheels having a bent lip despite the fact it holds air flawlessly and doesn't vibrate at speed. :sigh: I knew the brakes were getting borderline but the other poo poo was a surprise. Parts are ordered and I've got a line on a new wheel from Southern Vo-Vo I'll be calling them about tomorrow, but goddamn just once it would be nice to have a car pass on the first go.

Then I went to install a new control arm on the Corolla and discovered RA had sent me the wrong side. Fortunately I decided to double-check the part before getting too far into that job.

Today I'm just going to stare at the cars, less chance anything can go wrong that way. :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Bought a motor for the racecar.

vtec, yo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

What is that? ^^^

I installed new shifter/socket bushings in my w58 to stop the ridiculous slop caused by the previous set disintegrating. Leaving the epoxy to set overnight on the socket bushing and I'll reassemble it tomorrow after work. ...which will be fun because the clocks went back an hour meaning it'll start getting dark about 6pm now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What is that? ^^^

Honda B or H series engine.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
B16A2 with dumb gold valvecover. Going in this:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Crustashio posted:

B16A2 with dumb gold valvecover. Going in this:

Thats an accord with an acura front end? I have an accord ive been thinking of doing autocross with and that would be a fun thing to add to it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's a Civic with the front end they used on the Civic based Acura

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

clam ache posted:

Thats an accord with an acura front end? I have an accord ive been thinking of doing autocross with and that would be a fun thing to add to it.

I know dissss already pointed out what it really is (Acura EL front clip on a Civic.. assuming it's not a factory EL)

but the Acura CL is an Accord with lipstick. The front clip from a same-year CL should bolt on with a little work to an Accord, I don't think you even need to change any wiring on the Accord.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I've just recently change the steering wheel

I'm now doing the leather seats, the new covers have turned up, and I'm dismantling the original seats(OH MY GOD WHAT A MESS, I HATE INTERIOR WORK)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Wife's car. But I put on the spare so we can drive it to the shop to get the winters put on, since one of the all seasons has a screw in the tire.

gently caress lug nut covers forever. Two came off, one stayed on, and one is on with my 3/4" socket. Fucker.

Technically still a success.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Along the same lines, grabbed some wheel nuts from the junkyard at the weekend and replaced my lovely factory locking nuts, because it's 2016 and who the gently caress is going to steal poverty spec Focus wheels?

I meant to grab a rear wiper motor but I forgot the one spanner I needed to remove it and didn't realise till I was in the yard :doh:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I know dissss already pointed out what it really is (Acura EL front clip on a Civic.. assuming it's not a factory EL)

but the Acura CL is an Accord with lipstick. The front clip from a same-year CL should bolt on with a little work to an Accord, I don't think you even need to change any wiring on the Accord.

I had completely forgotten about this. Might do it if its not super expensive. might just track the bitch till it breaks then worry about cosmetics. First i have to figure out where my spark is getting weak at. Thanks f22b2 for being an odd duckling motor.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What is that? ^^^

I installed new shifter/socket bushings in my w58 to stop the ridiculous slop caused by the previous set disintegrating. Leaving the epoxy to set overnight on the socket bushing and I'll reassemble it tomorrow after work. ...which will be fun because the clocks went back an hour meaning it'll start getting dark about 6pm now.

Isn't the clock change next week?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

EightBit posted:

Isn't the clock change next week?

Only in the only country that matters. :clint:

I decided to retrain the new ECU in the 2006 with the new coils, and had nearly $40 to refuel the beast. drat that's a fun car!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think if you're in Europe it's this week.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

They never made EL coupes. It's a 99 Si shell (or EX for americans) and we needed a less rusty front end. EL was the first thing that popped up. I've grown to like it, but I still think the EL front end on a hatchback looks like pure loving garbage. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Alarbus posted:

Wife's car. But I put on the spare so we can drive it to the shop to get the winters put on, since one of the all seasons has a screw in the tire.

gently caress lug nut covers forever. Two came off, one stayed on, and one is on with my 3/4" socket. Fucker.

Technically still a success.

I'm guessing Chrysler product? Ever single chrysler I've ever owned has done this. Save yourself the trouble and order one peice lugnuts off ebay or amazon and switch em all out.