Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
vann was described to me as an alaskan mccarthy and that made me decide he's really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
are we going to have the mccarthy argument again

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

This is the ideal situation because now the committee has an excuse not to award another American a lit prize for a decade and a half minimum, but the prize was not given to an American author, who would then put on airs above their station.

:discourse:

this is good

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

fantasy zone posted:

vann was described to me as an alaskan mccarthy and that made me decide he's really bad

I don't see it. Vann's style is less dense and more emotionally engaging, McCarthy always feels detached from the characters and action.

Sounds like someone looked at a Vann book and said 'Violence, Dark Subject, No Quotations? Alaskan McCarthy!".

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

chernobyl kinsman posted:

are we going to have the mccarthy argument again

I hope not, because anybody who shows up on the same side of a literary argument as Nicholas Sparks should be shamed into silence forever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So, a somewhat obscure writer I like, Steven Sherrill, has a new book out.

The Minotaur takes his Own Sweet Time, which is a sequel to The Minotaur takes a Cigarette Break. I have always liked his writing so I am excited to check it out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I remember the Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break getting a ton of recs back in the day, but I never read it. It is cool that it is getting a sequel tho!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So, a somewhat obscure writer I like, Steven Sherrill, has a new book out.

The Minotaur takes his Own Sweet Time, which is a sequel to The Minotaur takes a Cigarette Break. I have always liked his writing so I am excited to check it out.

I loved this book and am very glad it has a sequel. Hopefully it's good. Please report back if you read it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It's also set in a version of my home town which is also kind of exciting

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I jumped on the Aquarium bandwagon.

Fucken owns.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Seems we've become an Aquarium of Vann fans.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Seems we've become an Aquarium of Vann fans.

:rimshot:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Men with Venn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70XkFKaq3W4

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

I hope not, because anybody who shows up on the same side of a literary argument as Nicholas Sparks should be shamed into silence forever.

What does the Sparks say?

e: yikes

quote:

"Cormac McCarthy? Horrible...This is probably the most pulpy, overwrought, melodramatic cowboy vs. Indians story ever written."

Sparks was referring to McCarthy's novel Blood Meridian

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 21, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Suggestions for next month's BOTM?

The Basement Tapes is already on the list

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

legend of a suicide or goat mountain by david vann

this way i have an excuse to spend money on one of them

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My only concern with doing older Vann as BOTM is that the library peasants will probably have a terrible time tracking it down

I think we should hit another non-white author before the year is over myself

I nominate either Man Tiger by Eka Kurniawan or Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I nominate either Man Tiger by Eka Kurniawan

You could go with a big cat double feature with Confessions of a Lioness by Mia Couto.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
I decided this was worthwhile and you'd love it (sarcasm).

Here's a bit by Scott Bakker on the 'meta' that touches literature as well. Or, what happens to literature when the world changes?

quote:

“Exactly the same lesson is learned by Captain Kirk and Captain Jean-Luc Picard as they travel the galaxy in the starship Enterprise, by Huckleberry Finn and Jim as they sail down the Mississippi, by Wyatt and Billy as they ride their Harley Davidson’s in Easy Rider, and by countless other characters in myriad other road movies who leave their home town in Pennsylvannia (or perhaps New South Wales), travel in an old convertible (or perhaps a bus), pass through various life-changing experiences, get in touch with themselves, talk about their feelings, and eventually reach San Francisco (or perhaps Alice Springs) as better and wiser individuals.” 241

Not only is experience the new scripture, it is a scripture that is being continually revised and rewritten, a meaning that arises out of the process of lived life (yet somehow always managing to conserve the status quo). In story after story, the protagonist must find some ‘individual’ way to derive their own personal meaning out of an apparently meaningless world. This is a primary philosophical motivation behind The Second Apocalypse, the reason why I think epic fantasy provides such an ideal narrative vehicle for the critique of modernity and meaning. Fantasy worlds are fantastic, especially fictional, because they assert the objectivity of what we now (implicitly or explicitly) acknowledge to be anthropomorphic projections. The idea has always been to invert the modernist paradigm Harari sketches above, to follow a meaningless character through a meaningful world, using Kellhus to recapitulate the very dilemma Harari sees confronting us now:

“What then, will happen once we realize that customers and voters never make free choices, and once we have the technology to calculate, design, or outsmart their feelings? If the whole universe is pegged to the human experience, what will happen once the human experience becomes just another designable product, no different in essence from any other item in the supermarket?” 277

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

wow that was very thought provoking

*dismissive wanking gesture*

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Abalieno posted:

I decided this was worthwhile and you'd love it (sarcasm).

Here's a bit by Scott Bakker on the 'meta' that touches literature as well. Or, what happens to literature when the world changes?

:how:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Black demon seed

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Golden rear end

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

orhan pamuk maybe

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Black demon seed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

orhan pamuk maybe

Didn't we do my name is red already?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Im reading this book now

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, I suggested it a few months back when I was reading it after The Vegetarian.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Franchescanado posted:

No, I suggested it a few months back when I was reading it after The Vegetarian.

yeah, it was suggested but not chosen.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
anyone put money on the man booker?

i put 20 bucks on do not say we have nothing when it was 3:1, now it's 1.5:1. change only happened in the last few days so could be an indicator.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

the_homemaster posted:

anyone put money on the man booker?

i put 20 bucks on do not say we have nothing when it was 3:1, now it's 1.5:1. change only happened in the last few days so could be an indicator.

Hope you make $60

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Yeah I'm a balla

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I just finally got Aquarium, I'm excited

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Someone tell me what the best Don Quixote translation is.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
idk about best but i read the jarvis and it was good

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Edith Grossman's take is the new hotness from the last 15 years. Fuentes praised it a lot, and a mexican freind of mine - a huge fan of Quixote - said he was shocked to see somebody actually managed to bring over a lot of the wordplay, etc. he thought wouldn't be possible to recreate of the spanish original

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Rutherford, Penguin Classics posted:

In a village in La Mancha, the name of which I cannot quite recall, there lived not long ago one of those country gentlemen or hidalgos who keep a lance in a rack, an ancient leather shield, a scrawny hack and a greyhound for coursing. A midday stew with rather more shin of beef than leg of lamb, the leftovers for supper most nights, lardy eggs on Saturdays, lentil broth on Fridays and an occasional pigeon as a Sunday treat ate up three-quarters of his income. The rest went on a cape of black broadcloth, with breeches of velvet and slippers to match for holy days, and on weekdays he walked proudly in the finest homespun. He maintained a housekeeper the wrong side of forty, a niece the right side of twenty and a jack of all trades who was as good at saddling the nag as at plying the pruning shears. Our hidalgo himself was nearly fifty; he had a robust constitution, dried-up flesh and a withered face, and he was an early riser and a keen huntsman. His surname’s said to have been Quixada, or Quesada (as if he were a jawbone, or a cheesecake): concerning this detail there’s some discrepancy among the authors who have written on the subject, although a credible conjecture does suggest he might have been a plaintive Quexana. But this doesn’t matter much, as far as our little tale’s concerned, provided that the narrator doesn’t stray one inch from the truth.

Now you must understand that during his idle moments (which accounted for most of the year) this hidalgo took to reading books of chivalry with such relish and enthusiasm that he almost forgot about his hunting and even running his property, and his foolish curiosity reached such extremes that he sold acres of arable land to buy these books of chivalry, and took home as many of them as he could find; he liked none of them so much as those by the famous Feliciano de Silva, because the brilliance of the prose and all that intricate language seemed a treasure to him, never more so than when he was reading those amorous compliments and challenges delivered by letter, in which he often found: ‘The reason for the unreason to which my reason is subjected, so weakens my reason that I have reason to complain of your beauty.’

Grossman posted:

Somewhere in La Mancha, in a place whose name I do not care to remember, a gentleman lived not long ago, one of those who has a lance and ancient shield on a shelf and keeps a skinny nag and a greyhound for racing. An occasional stew, beef more often than lamb, hash most nights, eggs and abstinence on Saturdays, lentils on Fridays, sometimes squab as a treat on Sundays—these consumed three-fourths of his income. The rest went for a light woolen tunic and velvet breeches and hose of the same material for feast days, while weekdays were honored with dun-colored coarse cloth. He had a housekeeper past forty, a niece not yet twenty, and a man-of-all-work who did everything from saddling the horse to pruning the trees. Our gentleman was approximately fifty years old; his complexion was weathered, his flesh scrawny, his face gaunt, and he was a very early riser and a great lover of the hunt. Some claim that his family name was Quixada, or Quexada, for there is a certain amount of disagreement among the authors who write of this matter, although reliable conjecture seems to indicate that his name was Quexana. But this does not matter very much to our story; in its telling there is absolutely no deviation from the truth.

And so, let it be said that this aforementioned gentleman spent his times of leisure—which meant most of the year—reading books of chivalry with so much devotion and enthusiasm that he forgot almost completely about the hunt and even about the administration of his estate; and in his rash curiosity and folly he went so far as to sell acres of arable land in order to buy books of chivalry to read, and he brought as many of them as he could into his house; and he thought none was as fine as those composed by the worthy Feliciano de Silva, because the clarity of his prose and complexity of his language seemed to him more valuable than pearls, in particular when he read the declarations and missives of love, where he would often find written: 'The reason for the unreason to which my reason turns so weakens my reason that with reason I complain of thy beauty.'

(both of them look good to me, tbh, although it seems grossman stays closer to the original from what i've quickly checked. on the other hand, "a housekeeper the wrong side of forty, a niece the right side of twenty" is a funny turn of phrase, even though it's not in the original.)

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 25, 2016

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

Edith Grossman's take is the new hotness from the last 15 years. Fuentes praised it a lot, and a mexican freind of mine - a huge fan of Quixote - said he was shocked to see somebody actually managed to bring over a lot of the wordplay, etc. he thought wouldn't be possible to recreate of the spanish original

I've heard people going wild for Grossman, and you're right both of those look pretty good tho Rutherford seems more jokey in those two paragraphs?? Don't suppose you know what the footnote sitch is for Grossman, I love in depth footnotes about how to get Golden Age Spanish jokes.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Grossman's edition has more footnotes (mostly to explain wordplay that Rutherford smetimes tries to do in the text), but both books unfortunately stick to v. short explanations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I've read large parts of both and would recommend the Grossman. There's enough out there on the internet to make up for whatever little in joke that she doesn't put in there if you want to go hog wild. It is funny enough even without knowing all the jokes to keep you entertained.