Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The MSJ posted:

It's a surreal horror movie, judging from the trailer: https://youtu.be/YVwQNDS-Zes

Yo that looks dope. I think Gore Verbinski is a pretty good director even if I don't like the Pirate films, so I am going to check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MSJ posted:

It's a surreal horror movie, judging from the trailer: https://youtu.be/YVwQNDS-Zes

Yeah, it was joke that homeopathy is bad. i.e. a "cure for wellness"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Actually if you want to know a touch more

the idea this guy is selling is that wellness is a fallacy we are all broken and dying and this guy is trying to cure you of that but may have ulterior motives

edit: also this poster was made by Gore. He insisted on doing it himself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's a pretty bad poster. The trailer looks pretty good tho.

It's a bummer when good movies get bad posters. See:

Were the character one-sheets for Free Fire posted yet? I like the color palette.

http://www.impawards.com/intl/uk/2017/free_fire_gallery.html

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
When did character posters start? The trainspotting sheets were the first I ever remember seeing but I'm assuming they obviously go much further back.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Dunno how far back they go but there's a nice little look back at the Trainspotting posters on Creative Review where one of the designers mentions that the Reservoir Dogs campaign was an influence.

I really like the all-orange ones.

:scotland:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That quote belongs to Mr. Blonde though.

I always thought it was kinda bullshit that they didn't do a Mr. Blue cover when they did the color variant DVDs (not to mention that the execution on the ones they did do is pretty lazy).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 21, 2016

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Getting the Pringle lion rampant logo in in the Begbie poster is a nice touch I'd not noticed before.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ruddiger posted:

That quote belongs to Mr. Blonde though.

I always thought it was kinda bullshit that they didn't do a Mr. Blue cover when they did the color variant DVDs (not to mention that the execution on the ones they did do is pretty lazy).

Home Entertainment never ceases to amaze me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want smug Tarantino in front of poop brown background please.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mr. Blue's revenge.

Rest in peace to a real one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Trainspotting posters are objectively good but god did people dress and look terrible in the 90s. Especially Scottish heroin junkies with stupid names.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Poster Six-Pack: More Stuff Off My Twitter Edition

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Character posters date back to this first generation of movie stars (even the first) when a studio sold cards of its super popular leading lady and the first actor to be named in all film.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

sbaldrick posted:

Character posters date back to this first generation of movie stars (even the first) when a studio sold cards of its super popular leading lady and the first actor to be named in all film.

Got any cool examples?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd appreciate if somebody found which movie(s) had first proper character posters in the form we know today because I can't find anything before Reservoir Dogs but that definitely just comes from my lack of knowledge.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Do you count stuff like this:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 25, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I see character posters more of a concept where you have a line-up of characters and each gets their own separate poster.

There were tons of movies that were promoted using just the main star's picture but imo this doesn't fulfill the character poster criteria. If for example somebody found a movie with a poster series where one shows only Humphrey Bogart and the other shows only Ingrid Bergman in their respective roles then yeah, I would count those as character posters.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do you need to have the character's name too?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I could swear they did that with old-timey window cards but I'll be damned if I can find any examples.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
In a similar-but-different, 70's all-star disaster flicks loved the "Row of Tiny Head" posters.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Mister Chief posted:

Do you need to have the character's name too?

I guess that older character-focused posters were more likely to say stuff like ACTOR'S NAME is CHARACTER NAME in MOVIE NAME whereas modern ones often make the character the focus eg. Reservoir Dogs where it's MR. ORANGE (Tim Roth) or Trainspotting / Suicide Squad etc. where it's just HARLEY QUINN and the actor's name doesn't appear at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

The Trainspotting posters are objectively good but god did people dress and look terrible in the 90s. Especially Scottish heroin junkies with stupid names.

A tight t-shirt and black jeans? Those gen-x-ers sure were crazy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Here's some lobby cards from 1980

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Resurrection-...SSa--HYD34j82yQ

And this one is from the 20s
http://m.ebay.com/itm/The-Young-Raj...6.c100408.m2460

And this is a Gone with the Wind set
http://m.ebay.com/itm/GONE-WITH-THE...6.c100408.m2460

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Is Neil Flynn doomed to wear a drab shirt and under-tee forever now?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah, he also has many plaid shirts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He wore a jumpsuit for like 9 years, this is an improvement for him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Shawn Michaels vs. The Under-Tee

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I totally forgot that this is releasing.

They worked extremely hard to make that division line in the middle cool, huh?

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 25, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The tagline for Assassin's Creed is basically the title of the first opening theme of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and it's fuckin' my poo poo up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is the grease paint/tattoo on his cheek supposed to distract me from the fact they couldn't bother to take a photo of both sides of his head?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Is the grease paint/tattoo on his cheek supposed to distract me from the fact they couldn't bother to take a photo of both sides of his head?

I get the annoyance at the amount of photoshoppery that gets used instead of just taking photos for movie posters, but this seems like a pretty legitimate instance to use a mirrored image.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fassbender looks so :effort:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CelticPredator posted:

Fassbender looks so :effort:
Well, that's pretty accurate when it comes to Assassin's Creed's current-day protagonists.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Is that really the plot of Airport '77?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pretty much

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The casting in that movie's nuts. I'm digging the hell out of mustachio'd Jack Lemmon too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUkfmBCsrE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

They worked extremely hard to make that division line in the middle cool, huh?

Probably just a sword texture stretched 8x.