Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Celes is such a weird name to me, entirely because it sounds so mundane. I legitimately thought, until looking it up literally right now, that it was just a normal but uncommon name that I happen to only know from Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I played the woff demo and it was fun although I liked it better with battle speed cranked up to max

I preordered the PS4 version but won't be home for s week so now I feel compelled to also buy the Vita version because I make good decisions

The white cat dog thing has a the-really annoying the-vocal quirk

ImpAtom posted:

Here. This, more than anything, will let you know if you like WoFF or not:

Is this great or terrible? Let your heart decide.

This is 90% of my time playing Destiny

ImpAtom posted:

People seem to say it's really not a great port. The PS4 version had really long load times so I can't imagine how bad it is on the Vita. On the other hand $20 is $20.

The Vita demo ran pretty good, I haven't finished downloading the full version on the garbage pail internet where I am atm

The White Dragon posted:

one of my buddies still pronounces it see-leez

That's because that's the right way

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Here. This, more than anything, will let you know if you like WoFF or not:

Is this great or terrible? Let your heart decide.

These Alola versions are just getting stupid now.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

It's pronounced like Celeste :colbert:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Se-Lay

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
or Kee-Leez, whichever most makes you retch

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
See this is what happens when revisionist translators change key character names. There wouldn't even be room for a debate on how to pronounce Celes if the other main character was named Tina.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That reminds me, for ages after FF8 came out I pronounced SeeD as SeeDee

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Black Mage Knight posted:

Speaking of WoFF VA's, I thought I recognized Edgar's voice from somewhere and it turns out he also was the voice of L in Xenoblade X. The funnier thing is that he also is Noctis in FF15.

We are well in the realms of FF characters sharing VA's now. Faris' VA for example also does Y'shtola.

EDIT: Okay so it turns out that Snow becoming bros with Gilgamesh is all I ever wanted from a FF game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLngEeAMbLY
I am keeping it in Japanese so Gilgamesh screams butts.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

I still do

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, I did too. The capital D tripped me up pretty bad.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Voice Acting talk:

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/10/22/498954253/voice-actors-strike-against-video-game-companies

Also, coming from a game developer, it's entirely possible to be both low-budget and have high-quality voice acting if your publisher budgets them separately. Or if you're given a set budget with a mandate to have full loc VO, which eats up a large chunk of said budget.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sakurazuka posted:

That's correct tho???

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I tried out the WoFF demo on PS4 and I didn't actually hate it. The music was catchy and once I figured out how the stacks worked, my inner sperg started revving up and I was trying out all the combinations.

Any idea what the game will be like on Vita? I'd like to try out the full game but I think i'd only really play it on a handheld. I haven't checked if there's a Vita demo yet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The important question: Is there an Encounter None equivalent in WoFF?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The important question: Is there an Encounter None equivalent in WoFF?

Once you reach Big Bridge (or maybe a bit earlier, the one I found was there) you can find a Mirajewel which massively reduces encounter rates when equipped.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nice. Glad to hear the game is pretty good, now I just need to finish Witcher 3 first before I pick it up. :goleft:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Nice. Glad to hear the game is pretty good, now I just need to finish Witcher 3 first before I pick it up. :goleft:

See you in 2024!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

zedprime posted:

See this is what happens when revisionist translators change key character names. There wouldn't even be room for a debate on how to pronounce Celes if the other main character was named Tina.

haha who gives a poo poo

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Excuse me but his name is actually Mash, said the nerd no one likes

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah, I pronounced Celes as Cell-eez.

Playing older games with my wife has been fun in that I get to learn how she pronounces these names. And I get to see them again myself and realize that 14 year old me probably got a lot of them wrong.

From FF8, I always pronounced Edea as "E-da" whereas she pronounced it as the much better "Eh-day-a"

I pronounced Ellone as "Eh-lone" and she pronounced it "El-ohn-nay"

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Excuse me but his name is actually Mash, said the nerd no one likes

They removed Mash's vagina bones. :(

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

hosed up if true

even if not true actually

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

From FF8, I always pronounced Edea as "E-da" whereas she pronounced it as the much better "Eh-day-a"

I thought it was just e-dee

my life is a lie

e: I also thought it was ulti-muh-see-uh but I think dissidia pronounces it ulti-meesha

and I thought seifer was see-fer but that's wrong too

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 25, 2016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh wait is it not pronounced Clue-Owd Stuh-rayfe?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am normally down with however you want to call things that aren't voiced over but the guy in highschool who insisted I play FFT used to pronounce chocobos as "kokobos" and I am pretty sure that's why I've never made it past Dorter Trade City.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I spent many years saying "chock-abos" in my head.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mordiceius posted:

I pronounced Ellone as "Eh-lone" and she pronounced it "El-ohn-nay"
Eh-lone, because she sends you through time and you can only go through time if you have emotional connections, i.e. aren't alone

Help Im Alive posted:

e: I also thought it was ulti-muh-see-uh but I think dissidia pronounces it ulti-meesha
ult-ih-MECH-eee-uh, she would pronounce her own name with a K because TIME KOMPRESSION
(it's really ulti-meesha because it's suppoesd to be Artemesia, right?)

get at me nerds

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
All those pronunciation posts without the proper IPA signs are triggering me.

Someone with the full WoFF please tell: is the defeat in combat treated the same in the demo? No choosing continue, no Game Over, you simply reappear on the field with full HP?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Okay ImpAtom, so what FF2 references ARE there?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hearing the SNES FF characters like Edgar, Faris, and Celes with voice acting is pretty fun stuff

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eh-lone, because she sends you through time and you can only go through time if you have emotional connections, i.e. aren't alone

My wife was approaching it from the idea of "how might a French person pronounce this" because just as many Americans are obsessed with Japan, many Japanese are obsessed with France.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Okay ImpAtom, so what FF2 references ARE there?

There's a Highwind reference!

That's about the only one I really remember.

Szurumbur posted:

All those pronunciation posts without the proper IPA signs are triggering me.

Someone with the full WoFF please tell: is the defeat in combat treated the same in the demo? No choosing continue, no Game Over, you simply reappear on the field with full HP?

Defeat in combat has two outcomes:

Against random encounters you're kicked out of the dungeon but retain your items/experience/ect
Against bosses and in a handful of dungeons it's a game over instead

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do Kain and the warrior of light talk to other

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I pronounced Celes as Cell-eez.

Playing older games with my wife has been fun in that I get to learn how she pronounces these names. And I get to see them again myself and realize that 14 year old me probably got a lot of them wrong.

If Bravely Default can be trusted on that one, it's 'Ee-dee-a'. And honestly, I don't want to be in a situation where I can't trust Bravely Default.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually, Bravely Second changed the pronounciation to "Idia". Because it was a pun on ideally.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
I guess the PSN is just getting slammed because WoFF is taking over an hour to download for VIta. :(

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

ImpAtom posted:

Once you reach Big Bridge (or maybe a bit earlier, the one I found was there) you can find a Mirajewel which massively reduces encounter rates when equipped.

Granted I've only just met WoL, but the encounter rate already feels really low; does it pick up later to the degree that this is necessary? Is there a Mirajewel that increases the encounter rate? Why is this not adjustable by default when we live in a world where Bravely Default exists?????

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
My copy hasn't even shipped yet :( I hope you all enjoy World of Final Fantasy, I will play it in early November or something with how lovely Amazon shipping is to Hawaii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ImpAtom posted:

There's a Highwind reference!

That's about the only one I really remember.

Defeat in combat has two outcomes:

Against random encounters you're kicked out of the dungeon but retain your items/experience/ect
Against bosses and in a handful of dungeons it's a game over instead
Did FF1 even have a variety of battle items? FF2 introduced a lot of stuff we take for granted.