Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

LizzieBorden posted:

After much hand-wringing, we've decided to have a CVS on Tuesday. We should have at least some of the results by Friday at the latest. I've draughted in the big guns, my Mum is coming to stay for moral support. Please cross everything you've got that it goes well, and the results are good.

I hope it goes well for you, and you get good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Definitely sending the most positive of vibes.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

LizzieBorden posted:

After much hand-wringing, we've decided to have a CVS on Tuesday. We should have at least some of the results by Friday at the latest. I've draughted in the big guns, my Mum is coming to stay for moral support. Please cross everything you've got that it goes well, and the results are good.

Good luck! The odds are in your favour.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Lady, if it's crossable I'm crossing it. I feel good about this - the odds ARE in your favour. I'm so glad you booked in some heavy duty support. xo

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
is a lot of guilt normal with pregnancy? If I feel like crap or if I'm having a hard time I always think about how much harder things mustve been for my sister who never had a partner as supportive of mine and then I start feeling so bad and weepy about how much she struggles :(

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
A good rule of thumb is that if it's occasional weepiness or grumpiness or what-have-you and it goes away on its own, it's probably normal hormone nonsense. If it's persistent or intrusive or interferes with your enjoyment of life, you should talk to a professional about it.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Also remember other people's suffering doesn't negate your own.

There is always someone who has it worse, but that doesn't mean you have no right to hurt.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Hi all. My wife is about 24 weeks pregnant. Everything has been going well so far. We're starting to look at the classes the doctor gave us. Some of them are multiple day classes, which isn't great for scheduling. I was wondering what everyone's experiences were with classes. Are some more useful than others? Is the information common sense, or easily researched?

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

crack mayor posted:

Hi all. My wife is about 24 weeks pregnant. Everything has been going well so far. We're starting to look at the classes the doctor gave us. Some of them are multiple day classes, which isn't great for scheduling. I was wondering what everyone's experiences were with classes. Are some more useful than others? Is the information common sense, or easily researched?

My hospital offered single day classes (typically on Saturday) that combined childbirth and the hospital tour. Most of the stuff can be found out via other means - if you're interested in the Bradley method, you could just read the books vs attending the classes. The biggest thing for me was the hospital tour and seeing everything beforehand. Knowing how to get from parking (some hospitals offer special maternity parking right by the entrance!), the best way to get to L&D and seeing the rooms, and meeting the nurses that could be working during the big day.

I did go to a breastfeeding class pre-baby and found the information useful (does the hospital offer lactation consultants everyday? Just during the weekdays? What about post-baby support?). Depending on where you are, La Leche League could provide a similar thing if you are breastfeeding.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

crack mayor posted:

My wife gave birth three weeks back, and before that we had taken pretty much all the available classes at the hospital (labor class, hospital tour, baby care basics, breastfeeding). Of all of those honestly looking back on now the only one we really felt was required attendance was the hospital tour. The labor class was the same stuff you can read about in any "what to expect" style book, and honestly labor is such a loving whirlwind it's hard to think about things like "oh now I'm in transitional labor." Same goes for the baby care basics class. It was nice, but without a live baby peeing and pooing all over the place your skillset doesn't really gain anything from the few hour class. For us it felt like everything we could possibly need to know was gone over ad-finitum by the nurses during the post delivery stay. As for lactation, our hospital had a consultant visit us the next morning, and between her, the nurses, and a live baby is where we really learned anything.

So yea, I mean I won't knock any of the classes as bad or unnecessary, but if the hospital has the ability to offer lots of classes like these then you can probably also expect to them to give you plenty of parent training once the real deal goes down too. Definitely do the hospital tour if you can though, feeling familiarity walking through the halls ahead of time took a lot of stress out of the experience for both me and my wife.

Congratz!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Holy poo poo you guys I got a scrip for Zofran and I'm about to get fat as hell from all the stuff I can suddenly eat.

I always thought ondansetron sounded like a party robot and now I know that that's because life is a nonstop celebration when you don't want to puke constantly.

LizzieBorden posted:

Lizzie, hope your CVS went OK today and you're feeling as well as you can be. I'm thinking of you!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Is there anything that can actually improve chances of conceiving? My friend is trying pretty desperately and it's only been a few months but I know how bad she wants it to happen. She's tried acupuncture, different foods, positions etc but I don't have much in the way of help and I feel a bit guilty because it happened for us first try after getting my IUD. That said, she only came off the pill about a month ago and has PCOS:smith:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
If she's only had one cycle off the Pill and hasn't conceived, that's not really cause for concern. Some people get lucky and get pregnant on their first try, but most people don't - and lots of women don't ovulate their first cycle off hormonal contraceptives, especially if they've been on them for awhile.

Timing intercourse appropriately with ovulation (tracking cervical mucus and basal body temperature, as well as using LH dipsticks) helps a lot of people to conceive. If she has PCOS, she's at higher risk for infertility that requires treatment, so probably the appropriate person for her to ask if there's anything she can do to improve her chances of conception and what investigations or monitoring might be appropriate is the doctor who's treating her PCOS.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks for the hospital class info guys. I'll definitely look into the hospital tour so we're familiar with the place. My wife knows more about the class days and stuff so I'll just pass on you guys's thoughts to her. Thanks, and congrats to you too, SpaceCadetBob :hfive:.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Dogfish posted:

If she's only had one cycle off the Pill and hasn't conceived, that's not really cause for concern. Some people get lucky and get pregnant on their first try, but most people don't - and lots of women don't ovulate their first cycle off hormonal contraceptives, especially if they've been on them for awhile.

Timing intercourse appropriately with ovulation (tracking cervical mucus and basal body temperature, as well as using LH dipsticks) helps a lot of people to conceive. If she has PCOS, she's at higher risk for infertility that requires treatment, so probably the appropriate person for her to ask if there's anything she can do to improve her chances of conception and what investigations or monitoring might be appropriate is the doctor who's treating her PCOS.

Yes to all of this. She can't have been trying for months if she just got off the pill, the pill can take a little time to work its way out of one's system and that's perfectly normal. I'm sure her OB told her that - and I agree so strongly that she needs to discuss this with her doctor rather than attempting woo-ey stuff like eating different food and acupuncture. I quite liked tracking my temperature, cervical mucus etc it gave me a little project to work on. But like you 54 40, I conceived after one period after having the IUD removed. That's actually a huge benefit of the IUD - how rapidly most people return to normal fertility. My period did take a little while to come - about 45 days - but after that bam. Joey in the pouch.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Is there anything that can actually improve chances of conceiving? My friend is trying pretty desperately and it's only been a few months but I know how bad she wants it to happen. She's tried acupuncture, different foods, positions etc but I don't have much in the way of help and I feel a bit guilty because it happened for us first try after getting my IUD. That said, she only came off the pill about a month ago and has PCOS:smith:

I have PCOS and have been off the pill since November last year.
Am currently 11wks 2 days pregnant.

My partner and I weren't trying, but my dr wanted me off the pill for a year to see if I could start ovulating.
We weren't very careful, lol.

It takes time. Has your friend seen a doctor?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I did hella treatments and as soon as I said gently caress This Stress and stopped going babby was formed.

(This is why stupid teenagers get knocked up easily while careful couples can't.)

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Zofran + diclegis is a wonderful miracle combination. Sadly it's giving me a headache this go around, but sometimes the headache is better than the nausea. Also it can make you wicked constipated.

I'm so glad you are feeling better Dogfish!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Below posted:

Bam. Joey in the pouch.

New thread title right here.

My due date is Friday and I'm going a little stir crazy wondering when it is all going to kick off. I'm trying not to get hung up about the actual date coz it's not always accurate but every twitch, stomach pain and cramp-like feeling is terrifying/exciting.

I wanna meet this little goon that's been kicking the poo poo out of my insides for the last 15 weeks or so!!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

TRISHY posted:

I have PCOS and have been off the pill since November last year.
Am currently 11wks 2 days pregnant.

My partner and I weren't trying, but my dr wanted me off the pill for a year to see if I could start ovulating.
We weren't very careful, lol.

It takes time. Has your friend seen a doctor?
Oh yeah, she's definitely had convos with her doctor and even though she only went off the pill in June she's definitely already kind of frustrated. Basically the only advice I could give her was just stay off TTC forums where everyone is getting beyond worked up.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Dogfish posted:

Holy poo poo you guys I got a scrip for Zofran and I'm about to get fat as hell from all the stuff I can suddenly eat.

I always thought ondansetron sounded like a party robot and now I know that that's because life is a nonstop celebration when you don't want to puke constantly.

Lizzie, hope your CVS went OK today and you're feeling as well as you can be. I'm thinking of you!

I got my call this morning, about 24 hours after I left the hospital, we've had the all clear for Trisomy 13, 18 and 21 and our sex chromosomes. We have a 2 week wait for the full karyotype of all the chromosomes, but my nuchal fold was small (1.6), so they don't think anything particularly exciting will show up there.

The test itself wasn't bad at all. My mum came with me and she got to see the baby on the ultrasound. They used the ultrasound the entire time to help direct the needle, they numbed my stomach and the whole thing was over in 10 minutes. Then I had to sit in a room with terrible magazines while they waited to see if I was OK. Some people faint or vomit afterwards, but I am now an expert puker, so nothing exciting happened.

They said to take it easy, so I've put myself on two days of self-imposed bed rest, which may not be what they had in mind....

So glad you got the Zofran Dogfish, it really is a game-changer. I remember eating a piece of pizza the day after my tablets kicked in properly. Sheer bloody heaven.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
54 40- It may be touchy, but if your friend is overweight (common with PCOS) then losing weight will also help her chances of successful conception as well. Even a moderate reduction in weight can dramatically improve fertility in PCOS patients, which I'm sure her doctor told her. But other than the BBT and cervical mucous tracking there isn't much to be done at this point.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Eponymous Bosch posted:

54 40- It may be touchy, but if your friend is overweight (common with PCOS) then losing weight will also help her chances of successful conception as well. Even a moderate reduction in weight can dramatically improve fertility in PCOS patients, which I'm sure her doctor told her. But other than the BBT and cervical mucous tracking there isn't much to be done at this point.

This.

Due to my PCOS, I cut out carbs and was looking to start losing weight.
Then a month later I find out I'm pregnant.
We weren't going to start trying until next year when I got healthier. But I am not complaining.

Just working myself up over the Down syndrome test.
Had bloods today, doing ultrasound next week. Eeep

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Oh yeah, she's definitely had convos with her doctor and even though she only went off the pill in June she's definitely already kind of frustrated. Basically the only advice I could give her was just stay off TTC forums where everyone is getting beyond worked up.

I sympathize with your pal; I got knocked up after two cycles (one just having sex without protection, then one timing intercourse with ovulation, which worked immediately) and after the first period I was like WELL THAT'S IT, I'M DEFINITELY BARREN, WE SHOULD JUST GIVE UP. (And had a positive pregnancy test three weeks later.) If it's something your friend really wants, of course she's going to be impatient about it, as we all are when we don't have direct control over a situation we're emotionally invested in. If it makes her feel better to eat legumes and use Pre-Seed and do a handstand for 20 minutes after intercourse every time, she's not going to cause any harm by doing so. Otherwise, tracking her mucus, temperature, and LH, making sure she's otherwise in good health (including a healthy weight and taking a prenatal vitamin) are the only options for now, and if those don't work there are tons of medical treatments that are often effective to help people with PCOS conceive.

One thing she should be careful about is taking herbal supplements like chaste tree berry, which a lot of people do but nobody should try without talking to their doctor first. A lot of herbal supplements have interactions with prescribed medications or can affect pre-existing medical conditions, so even though they're available over the counter, she shouldn't take them without her doctor's OK.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

TRISHY posted:

This.

Due to my PCOS, I cut out carbs and was looking to start losing weight.
Then a month later I find out I'm pregnant.
We weren't going to start trying until next year when I got healthier. But I am not complaining.

Just working myself up over the Down syndrome test.
Had bloods today, doing ultrasound next week. Eeep

Fingers crossed for some very low odds and a nice positive scan. Let us know how you get on.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

LizzieBorden posted:

Fingers crossed for some very low odds and a nice positive scan. Let us know how you get on.

I think you mean a negative scan ;)

I did the first trimester screen last week but I'm in the happy position of not caring if I have a baby with Trisomy 21 so I only have to spend my worries on two out of three conditions screened for. I've worried about so much stuff already in this pregnancy that the relief of having something I don't have to fret over is almost indescribable. Another 22 weeks of being high-risk-pregnant sometimes seems impossible. I told my husband he gets one baby out of me and then if we want to grow our family we're fostering/adopting. He couldn't agree fast enough!

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

LizzieBorden posted:

It was so weird seeing my baby moving around in there.
I got given a 1 in 148 chance of my baby having Down's syndrome.
They said it's got a bit of a thick neck.

Now have to go back to my GP and see what other options, I am leaning towards doing the harmony test, which is going to cost $450.
Blah.
I don't know how to feel right now.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
If you look above, there was a good discussion about how the Harmony test is just another screening test. There's no guarantee. It's not diagnostic. It probably won't give you more info than you have now. The diagnostic tests, which, if I had a 1/148 + thickened nuchal translucency is what I would do, are the CVS and the amniocentesis. There's a very small risk of miscarriage with both these tests but for me, because that result would definitely result in ending a pregnancy (again, FOR ME), I would take the risk.

I'm really sorry you're facing this hard decision :(

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Actually I have to disagree with that pretty strongly. Harmony is a screening test because there have been a couple reported cases of false negatives and we don't have years of data collection yet, but I would be very surprised if in a couple of years, with a few refinements and more data gathered, we didn't characterize it as a diagnostic test. (It's also worth noting that although CVS and amnio are considered diagnostic tests and are very, very accurate, they too can rarely have false negatives due to genetic mosaicism or other rare conditions. There is no such thing as a 100% accurate test for prenatal diagnosis of Trisomy 21.) Right now we primarily classify CVS/amnio as diagnostic and Harmony as screening not because of a significant different in their accuracy for predicting Trisomy 21 (because the difference in their negative predictive value is extremely small) but because CVS/amnio eliminate one of the potential sources of error in Harmony by collecting tissue directly from the placenta/amniotic fluid, whereas Harmony uses free fetal DNA in the maternal blood.

It's also important to be clear that Harmony absolutely WILL give you information that the first trimester screen won't, because it measures something completely different. First trimester screening calculates the risk of Trisomy 21 based on the ultrasound in combination with a number of different proteins and hormones (serum markers) that are associated with Trisomy 21. An abnormal amount of those serum markers can be caused by Trisomy 21 but it can also be caused by problems with the placenta that aren't chromosomal, or by normal human variation. That's why the first trimester screen is a screening test, not a diagnostic test: abnormal levels of those serum markers increase the chance of a baby with Trisomy 21 because that's one possible cause, but can't rule in Trisomy 21 because there are other potential causes. In contrast, Harmony looks at free fetal DNA, which is DNA from the baby that makes its way into the mother's bloodstream. That's a very different set of information and that's why it's so much more accurate.

The difference between a diagnostic and a screening test isn't black-and-white. For example, when we diagnose diabetes, we consider a very elevated level of HbA1C in the blood to be diagnostic, even though the "gold standard" of diagnosis is a glucose challenge test and HbA1C is a proxy measure. That's because it's very rare for someone to have a HbA1C that's very elevated and not have diabetes.

It's also worth mentioning that your risk of having a baby with Trisomy 21 is 1:148, your risk of miscarriage with CVS is about 1:100 and your risk of miscarriage with amniocentesis is about 1:200. So if you have an invasive test, you are more likely to cause harm to a normal pregnancy than you are to detect a pregnancy affected by Trisomy 21. (And the most likely outcome of course is that you detect a normal pregnancy which continues uneventfully.) Some people assess that the consequences to their life of having a baby with Trisomy 21 would be so severe that that imbalance in risk is acceptable. For other people, the discrepancy in numerical risk is too great and they choose not to have invasive testing. There's no right approach. What you choose will have to depend on what would be worse for YOUR family; it's a very personal choice. The biggest advantage to having an invasive test is that the results are available much more quickly; if your plan with a diagnosis of Trisomy 21 would be to terminate, that can make a big difference, depending on the gestational age you're at. We always recommend invasive testing before termination, so if you had a positive Harmony you'd be adding time and a step to that process. On the other hand, if you had a negative Harmony, you'd be avoiding an invasive procedure that would have exposed your pregnancy to unnecessary risk. Weighting these risks and benefits is very individual; you're the only person who knows what's right for you.

I know it sounds like I'm advocating for Harmony here; I'm not, because I'm not invested in whether people find out prenatally whether their babies have Trisomy 21. What I AM invested in, as someone who provides prenatal care professionally, is that people are making decisions based on good and accurate information, and that includes the information that not all screening tests are created equal. In Ontario, we offer Harmony as a universal next step after a positive first trimester screen because it provides such high-quality information that we can often advise people based on its results and save them a procedure that, while very safe, still carries risk.

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 2, 2016

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Gotcha.

For me, I still wouldn't do the Harmony even with all that info. $450 is a lot of money. Abortion is a pretty massive decision (I work in a clinic that provides them) and I think I'd want every imaginable piece of information. Perhaps if I'd been trying to get pregnant for a long time with no success then that would change my opinion but .. yeah.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah here it's a different calculus because Harmony is covered for people with a positive first trimester screen, and invasive procedures are all covered by the government's medical care program. When I have patients who aren't eligible for government care because they've just moved to Ontario or something similar, we talk about the potential costs of Harmony (which is about the same $450 here) vs the costs of CVS/amnio (which can be upwards of $1000) vs the potential cost of Harmony AND invasive testing if Harmony is positive.

We definitely don't offer termination without invasive testing because the risk to the pregnancy is much less of a concern when we're planning to end the pregnancy, and for obvious reasons we always want all the information available before we perform a termination. The purpose of screening tests is to try to avoid unnecessary exposure to risk; when we're ALMOST completely sure that we have a diagnosis and our plan is to terminate the pregnancy, we can have a much higher degree of comfort that we're not causing unnecessary harm by doing an invasive procedure to confirm our plan.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

TRISHY posted:

It was so weird seeing my baby moving around in there.
I got given a 1 in 148 chance of my baby having Down's syndrome.
They said it's got a bit of a thick neck.

Now have to go back to my GP and see what other options, I am leaning towards doing the harmony test, which is going to cost $450.
Blah.
I don't know how to feel right now.

You're basically me 2 weeks ago. I got odds of 1/130 and decided to go with the CVS test which has so far come back clear (still waiting on full karyotype), but baby definitely doesn't have any of the big 3 trisomies.

Personally, I think with odds like ours it's the worst of both worlds, if you had odds like 1/3, risking a diagnostic test would be a no-brainer. For the sake of my mental health I had to have something more concrete than that, and the outcome would have made a big difference to us, so we decided on the CVS.

If you want to pm me I can tell you a little bit more about how the CVS was?

Massive hugs to you, whatever you decide to do.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

It's a lot to process. I will be seeing my GP and discussing the options, I want her to push the hospital to see me earlier. My first OB appointment isn't until December, and that's me being high risk without these results.
But it is the hospital where all the high risk patients go to.

I am really dissatisfied with my ultrasound experience. The lady couldn't really locate an arm, and couldn't really see the neck properly and said 'eh that looks good enough to me'.
I didn't receive any physical print outs of my ultrasound(she said she would give them to us, but then rushed us out), and the disk she gave me had no clear shots of my baby. The machine also malfunctioned and had to be reset.
I am just angry thinking about the experience. She offered to do the internal scan, which would have been clearer. I agreed to doing it, but she never did.

I'm going to get my GP to refer me to another clinic. I want clear pictures of my baby. And the print outs too. :mad:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
That sucks. Print-outs and keepsake pictures are one thing (remember that an ultrasound is a medical procedure), but if you felt that the technician wasn't doing the procedure as she explained it to you, or that she was abrupt or dismissive in the exam, that's a problem.

Here everyone with a positive first trimester screen gets referred to a genetics counsellor to talk about their options; do you have the option of talking to genetics at the hospital where your OB appointment will be? It's pretty common in some places for obstetricians not to see patients until 20 weeks and to have the earlier care done by the family doctor, but if you've had an abnormal test result you should be able to be referred to a genetic counsellor.

My pregnancy is also high-risk and I definitely sympathize; it's so hard not to worry about everything once you've been given that label. But remember that odds of 1:148 for Trisomy 21 is odds of 147:148 of the usual number of chromosomes. There is a 99.3% chance that your baby doesn't have Trisomy 21 at all.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope that the screening turns out well for you.

I'm a week overdue now. I'm fed up. I feel like a loving container shipper in terms of my mobility and manoeuvrability.

On the plus side my plug...unplugged itself last night/this morning so stuff is happening.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

In an update for things on my end... I'm a little over 35w now. To top everything off, I got a cold that evolved into bronchitis this past week, and my whole body is so aching and sore from coughing I barely know what's from coughing and what's from pregnancy. :( It doesn't seem fair that you can get sick on top of being miserably pregnant.

I think the baby has dropped already based on physical stuff and that my fundal measurement was actually smaller this week - still within a range of normal, but who even knows.

Our nursery dresser and glider gets delivered tomorrow and then we'll be all good to go as far as the nursery and most prep!

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Baby is due Sunday and just got checked for the first time today.

Really trippy to have your midwife happily tell you she has a finger on your baby's head. Even though we're at the very end, it still feels far away and unreal.

My favorite midwife in the practice is on call this weekend so here's hoping baby girl decides to make an appearance before the weekend is up.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Rondette you poor thing! All of you guys, I'm sorry! I'm 34 weeks nearly, and I had a massage today that really gave me a lot more mobility. I had no idea how little I had until now. I was basically limping. It was the best I feel like a million bucks now.

But tired! Oh so tired, all the drat time. I wish I didn't have to work. I'm down to three days a week as of this week (got called in Monday unfortunately but only for 3 hours) so that might help.

I've started washing all the babclothes and blankets, my baby shower was last weekend and we got some super insanely cute stuff. I'm gonna start setting up in earnest now.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SquirrelFace posted:

Really trippy to have your midwife happily tell you she has a finger on your baby's head.

Can concur.

I must admit also in my self massage today I think I touched it too........ :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Your baby's head is probably wayyyyyyy up in your vagina if you're not in labour. Unless your finger was up in there as far as it goes, it probably wasn't your baby's head. :)