Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If you don't think John is a big enough goober to go after Caliborn just because he threatened a bunny with a Con Air reference, I don't even know what to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Samovar posted:

But when did Caliborn himself get the pool-ball eyes?

Shortly after absorbing the clockwork majyyks, shown in Act 7 and also the beginning of Caliborn's Masterpiece.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i honestly thought that homestuck was over

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Color Printer posted:

If you don't think John is a big enough goober to go after Caliborn just because he threatened a bunny with a Con Air reference, I don't even know what to tell you

"That is some fit he is throwing" is, oddly, one of my favorite lines in this whole god drat comic

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Don't forget, you're here forever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

None of the kids would let John saddle up and go without them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

I disagree with the idea that John rejected Caliborn's taunts/invitation to rumble.

Caliborn got John so mad that he smashed his phone, that's not the sign of a person who's just gonna calmly walk away from this, that's the sign that John's going to start looking for reasons to go, if he doesn't already have a bunch lined up.

Yeah and combined with the fact that we didn't yet know the exact specifics of how the Masterpiece fight ended up happening, it seems obvious to me that that's an indication of John making a decisive move and rounding up a posse to go save that rabbit from Cyrus the Virus Green Skull Man.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

i honestly thought that homestuck was over

everyone in the bar shifts uncomfortably. "mister..." one of them says, "Homestucks been dead for nigh-on thirty five years."

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

everyone in the bar shifts uncomfortably. "mister..." one of them says, "Homestucks been dead for nigh-on thirty five years."

"Then what do you call THIS?" I say, holding up my phone with the latest update on display.
"That's a Poptart."
I stare at the phone in my hand and it is, indeed, a poptart.
I eat the poptart.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sensing its impending demise, Homestuck grows a few extra sub-acts.

MSPA readers: React to update.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

"Then what do you call THIS?" I say, holding up my phone with the latest update on display.
"That's a Poptart."
I stare at the phone in my hand and it is, indeed, a poptart.
I eat the poptart.

a haunted poptart

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

That was sweet, actually. For the most part.

But when did Caliborn himself get the pool-ball eyes?

When he absorbed the god tier clock in Act 7.

Edit: Whoops, missed a page.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 25, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arsenic Lupin posted:

None of the kids would let John saddle up and go without them.

They wouldn't also leave him alone for year at a time and just show up on his birthday. But that is what they did.

This is the bad end. Please look forward to Homestuck NG+

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I think if Hussie is going to credit ICP in the sound credits, he should also credit Trisha Yearwood for How Do I Live Without You (which I say counts as "part of the comic" given the youtube link)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They wouldn't also leave him alone for year at a time and just show up on his birthday. But that is what they did.

This is the bad end. Please look forward to Homestuck NG+

The end is never the end

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Guys, i hacked the MSPA servers and found the next update

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There is no reason to believe they did. Dave, Jade, and Karkat have been Snapchatting him incessantly, and if you're going to argue that Internet contact isn't real contact, you seem to have forgotten all of Act 1. https://homestucksnaps.tumblr.com/post/152282467297/end-credits-snaps-1415

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

The plot of homestuck is going to continue for another year or two as a sort of meta-comic told exclusively through flash, snapchats, and whatever other meta medium Hussie decides to use. the 'comic' is over tho. this is what my dumb rear end is predicting, have fun.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
For the 10/25 sale they put the Homestuck complete discography on sale for 65% off. That is, the complete discography as a set, and only the set. If you've already bought most of the albums and want to pick up one of the newest ones or a couple of older ones, then you're SOL.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There is no reason to believe they did. Dave, Jade, and Karkat have been Snapchatting him incessantly, and if you're going to argue that Internet contact isn't real contact, you seem to have forgotten all of Act 1. https://homestucksnaps.tumblr.com/post/152282467297/end-credits-snaps-1415

They may not have left him completely alone but the whole progression with his birthday seem meant to indicate that they've drifted apart a bit, at least enough to make John feel a little lonely. Switching from in-person birthday partying to internet contact to not much of anything is different than just being adolescent internet friends. You're right there's no reason to think they literally didn't see each other except for the birthdays of course, we can see John in some of the other events, just less over time.

There's lots of ways a possible future confrontation with Caliborn could go. John might try to take him on solo because he thinks his friends are too busy with their own lives, or they might actively try to dissuade him from getting involved since they've escaped that causal loop. If there's some distance between John and his friends forming then dealing with Caliborn could jam a wedge in there.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Malpais Legate posted:

Don't forget, you're here forever.

Do_It_For_Vriska.jpeg

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
at this point i think the Search for Vrispock subplot has about a coinflips odds between being really melancholic and played straight, or it just turning out that Vriska has spent the last four years having tea parties with Infinite Nepetas

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so if john goes after the True Ending what is the unexplained necron-esque existential threat that appears after lord English is defeated

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Farg posted:

so if john goes after the True Ending what is the unexplained necron-esque existential threat that appears after lord English is defeated

Andrew Hussie.

Duh.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

Daius posted:

Andrew Hussie.

Duh.

I was so tired of being a self insert.... but this story between us will never end!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
It's inevitable that Homestuck would become undertale. It's living poetry. I fully expect to see the cast talk down John from resetting the universe as he begins to weep while a piano rendition of Showtime plays

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can still feel lonely and depressed even if you have close friends who care about you, especially when you're repressing a lot of negative emotions the way John seems to be.

He never mourned the death of his dad, and that's not a healthy thing to do. He tried to skip to the end of the grieving process and it's left him feeling kind of hosed up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You can still feel lonely and depressed even if you have close friends who care about you, especially when you're repressing a lot of negative emotions the way John seems to be.

He never mourned the death of his dad, and that's not a healthy thing to do. He tried to skip to the end of the grieving process and it's left him feeling kind of hosed up.
I absolutely believe that John's depressed or at least melancholy. I just don't believe he's sad because his friends have abandoned him. Anyway, I don't see John as the guy who slips away in the night to conquer evil single-handedly. Dirk is; Dave used to be. John would at least write a goodbye letter, at which point Dave rewrites time to get there to stop him going alone.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Farg posted:

The black hole eating all of paradox space, which includes the frog that is their universe

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Since in the masterpiece Caliborn is caught 'by surprise', I'm assuming Caliborn does something irredeemable to get John's attention and forces him to use his retcon powers. They've already conveniently made Terezi go away, and Caliborn is technically on the same planet as them, but just in the future. He could easily travel back in time to gently caress poo poo up, like kill Kanaya, Karkat, and Calliope as well, that would explain their absence in the masterpiece.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Is there anyone that thinks this doesn't feel like there's still something missing? I'm genuinely curious.

Android Blues posted:

I actually really dig that John and Roxy aren't super married or whatever in the credits. They were cute together but they had only just met, and it's kinda realistic-feeling that they'd stay friends but maybe never actually start seriously dating. Also the Rosemary wedding standing alone as the one big romantic consummation in the flash feels more earned than anything else would have.

Remember, Kanaya and Rose had IC interacted for just as long as John and Roxy prior to it becoming such a consuming relationship it destroyed their characters.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

Remember, Kanaya and Rose had IC interacted for just as long as John and Roxy prior to it becoming such a consuming relationship it destroyed their characters.

Um, no? They were on a meteor together for over a year before they started dating.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Um, no? They were on a meteor together for over a year before they started dating.

Pagecount/wordcount/real-world time, not in-universe time. Time as measured by narrative focus, not diegetically.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

If the contention is that John and Roxy simply didn't have the time that Rose and Kanaya did, though, it rings a little hollow.

I'm not saying it's the perfect relationship dat should be da canon, but that particular excuse is a bit weak.

I am also coming to terms with the fact my favorite act 6 character really won't be seen again

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Pagecount/wordcount/real-world time, not in-universe time. Time as measured by narrative focus, not diegetically.

In fairness, Hussie deliberately throws poo poo on this with JohnVris. "I ONLY KNEW HER FOR LIKE A DAY I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHY I LIKED HER"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That whole thing was just a headache and a half.

Also it really turns out that John was lying about not remembering why he liked her until Pirate Her ruined Vriskas for him forever.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Yeah, it's an odd thing to point out to the audience. The constraints of fiction mean you can never really show wholly accurate relationships, and audiences click more with the passage of real time than they do show time. It seemed like another 'REAL PEOPLE DON'T HAVE ARCS!!!!' statement.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

it's like

cindarella ending with her telling the prince um sorry they just met at a ball ten minutes ago why would i marry you????

i'm sure someone's written this and that people would love the hot take on such a strong subversive message between puffs on the e-cig, but fiction isn't always realistic?

equally sure someone's about to tell me they'd watch the hell out of subversive cinderella where she remains a slave because she don't need no prince

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Still no, then. Rose and Kanaya first interacted on January 2010, and started dating in an updated uploaded on October 25 (:v:) 2012, almost three years later. John first spoke to Roxy in October of 2013, less than three years before the story's end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Besides, ain't y'all familiar with the lesbian concept of u-hauling?