Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod/episode-6-samus-45

Episode 5 is finally up, which I accidentally called episode 6 because my son convinced me to. In this episode we make a Metroid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Idle Thumbs guys: if you ever want to do a contemporary TV cast, pick Westworld. As somebody whose design experience is limited to about 15 years of running tabletop RPGs for my friends, I can't help but look at and think about some of the characters and situations it presents through that lens, and I'm sure you'd have a lot more to say on that score than I do.

Also, it's just a drat good show, and I want people I like to do a roundtable about it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

If you happen to be in the Pacific Northwest, we're doing a live panel at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo on Sunday at 1:30PM PST.

We're also doing a meetup. Come hang out!

http://duckfeed.tv/portland-meetup-2016

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Woffle posted:

If you happen to be in the Pacific Northwest, we're doing a live panel at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo on Sunday at 1:30PM PST.

We're also doing a meetup. Come hang out!

http://duckfeed.tv/portland-meetup-2016

Then you can stick around afterwards for the Retronauts anniversary panel at 3, maybe?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm guessing that Gary and Kyle have already recorded the RE4 WOFF, and I already sent in a comment so I don't want to double-dip, but I was playing it last night and remembered something important: gently caress the water room in 3-1, for real.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Then you can stick around afterwards for the Retronauts anniversary panel at 3, maybe?

100%. And go to both meetups. We'll be at both.

I'm really glad they didn't put us opposite AVGN or Retronauts.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Gender Bender DNA Twister Extreme episode was a delicate tightrope walk, but thankfully it came out well. And really, gently caress Encyclopedia Dramatica. It's a shame Oh Internet was a failed project and ED has just gotten nastier and meaner as it has lost relevance

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've been unable to download any episodes of any Duckfeed thing for a while. Something about an SSL Handshake aborting, I/O error during system call, and connection reset by peer. Any idea what's causing this? I'm on Podcast Addict if anyone has suggestions for an app that doesn't have this issue.

E: The Pitch still works for some reason? Thank god for that, I needed innovation in my life.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 18, 2016

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Yeah, I have no idea what the issue is. I can't replicate the issue, which makes it a pain to troubleshoot. It's ceased to be an issue for other people over time... I'm really sorry for the hassle.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Getting a similar problem on iTunes on windows. I can copy the location of the files and download them through my browser, so I have no clue what's going on but Ican get that sweet sweet Duckfeed fix at least.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Gender Bender DNA Twister Extreme episode was a delicate tightrope walk, but thankfully it came out well.
Less like a tightrope and more like a cliff. There's no problem as long as you stay away from the edge.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Gender Bender DNA Twister Extreme episode

I just need you to know that it's pretty hard to find a really quick, to the point clip of Scott Bakula saying "oh boy" on Quantum Leap on Youtube, because it was my immediate response to this. I tried.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I apologize for nothing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Game Informer did a 25th anniversary podcast reminiscing of the good ol' days and it reminded me of the Retronauts ephemera episode where these old magazines had access to a lot of hi-res assets that don't exist anymore. GI's assets were stored on film and even though Andy McNamara was hard up on proper archiving it reached a point where they needed to move buildings and nobody wanted to bother with thousands of pounds of reels so into the trash it went.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Megaten Marathon let me come back one more time. See if you can pick out the exact point in the episode where I get uninvited from the upcoming final SMT1 episode!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Stephen Hawking and idle thumbs should lead the resistance against the robots in a terminator remake.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I'm happy this thread still exists.

I gotta say, Vidjagame Apocalypse is my current favorite gaming podcast. I especially love it when Heidi Kemps is a guest.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I can't listen to Bonfireside Chats anymore. Waaaaayy too much talking in circles.

I don't even think anyone's saying anything dumb or wrong, it's all valid opinions, some of which I happen to agree with and some of which I don't.

But they spiral around them in every episode, and at some point I just get tired of them trying to squeeze blood from a stone and getting frustrated that stones don't bleed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
This thread will continue to exist as long as I keep working jobs that let me listen to 6-10 hours of podcasts a day.

I dig VGA but I confess without a good guest (your Kempses or Mackeys) I hop off after the top 5, because my taste in games does differ a bit from theirs and sometimes I just don't care.

Speaking of gripes, is it just me or is the Waypoint cast a bit weak? How the hell do you get Austin and Danielle on mic and I've just shut it off 15 minutes in?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It will probably even out once they are out of the "launch a website" madness.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Now that Austin has his own website I hope he uses it as a soapbox to proselytize the greatness of Dragon's Dogma.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

END ME SCOOB posted:

This thread will continue to exist as long as I keep working jobs that let me listen to 6-10 hours of podcasts a day.

I dig VGA but I confess without a good guest (your Kempses or Mackeys) I hop off after the top 5, because my taste in games does differ a bit from theirs and sometimes I just don't care.

Speaking of gripes, is it just me or is the Waypoint cast a bit weak? How the hell do you get Austin and Danielle on mic and I've just shut it off 15 minutes in?

This is the new Vice Gaming cast, right? I listened to the first episode of that and they spent loving forever talking about naming their new site, but they couldn't/wouldn't say the name of it. It was tedious as gently caress and I shut it off. I really want to like Klepek and Walker but was never into GB stuff. I guess that rambling style stuck with them and i should just stick to their written stuff?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

The main thing that will make me struggle to stick with a VGA episode is Henry Gilbert, because he can't stop trying to grab the wheel of any podcast he's on and steer it off into who-gives-a-fucksville. Like I'm sure he's a nice enough guy in ordinary life, but dude needs to learn to sit back and let things go where they're going.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

TetsuoTW posted:

The main thing that will make me struggle to stick with a VGA episode is Henry Gilbert, because he can't stop trying to grab the wheel of any podcast he's on and steer it off into who-gives-a-fucksville. Like I'm sure he's a nice enough guy in ordinary life, but dude needs to learn to sit back and let things go where they're going.

I like Henry but you're not wrong.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been painting a car, so I decided to start listening to Bonfire Side Chat when I don't want to scratch the backlog of TAL.

I love timeless podcasts.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I can't listen to Bonfireside Chats anymore. Waaaaayy too much talking in circles.

I don't even think anyone's saying anything dumb or wrong, it's all valid opinions, some of which I happen to agree with and some of which I don't.

But they spiral around them in every episode, and at some point I just get tired of them trying to squeeze blood from a stone and getting frustrated that stones don't bleed.

Phone posted:

I've been painting a car, so I decided to start listening to Bonfire Side Chat when I don't want to scratch the backlog of TAL.

I love timeless podcasts.

It's the CIIIIRRCLE OF LIIIIFFEEE

(Not trying to start an argument or be a jerk, I just thought those two posts in proxmity were funny)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I've come to terms with the fact that I think Dark Souls 3 sucks. I beat it once around release and have since gotten several characters to the mid game and I've just lost all desire for it. I really enjoyed the first go round but after beating it once my interest fell off a cliff. The game just feels like a mediocre cover of Dark Souls 1. Hearing the DLC is kinda poo poo only further reinforces this feeling and for the first time in the Souls series, I won't be purchasing it.

On a more positive note though all the podcasters in this thread have been killing it lately. I'm halfway through the RE4 Halloween special of WOFF and it's great. This has been my most anticipated game for the show to do since I started listening 4 years ago. The mechanics, tension, gunplay, B-story and atmosphere....everything is perfect. It's probably my favorite console game post year 2000.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm cruising through the old VGA episodes and I love it when Chris jabs at Henry.

Although to be honest I'm glad I stuck with it because I started on the "bro" episode and that nearly killed me. Literally, it nearly killed me.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

END ME SCOOB posted:

I had the exact opposite reaction. It's the Patrick and Austin talk about whatever the hell they want show, which is exactly what I want in my life. Have you listened to any of the previous ones?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I tried the first and realized I still don't think Patrick's a good host, so.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I admire the dedication to the thing and I'm glad they'll exist in the future, but I haven't listened with any regularity since the Dark Souls 2 DLC.

Honestly half the reason is just having Souls fatigue like, it seems, nearly everybody else. Dark Souls 2 pre-DLC/Scholar, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls 3 all felt strangely incomplete to me in a way that Demon's and Dark 1 didn't, despite those games having less content in pure numerical terms. Bloodborne was a really interesting, creative game and there's a part of me that wishes more time and money and manpower had gone into it instead of Dark Souls 2 or 3 existing at all, even if I think they're all pretty good games.

The wringing blood from a stone is part of that fatigue and sequelitis. Eventually you either run out of things to say about the design theory of the franchise as a whole or start repeating yourself, and I still think Dark Souls 1 is more thematically coherent and less wasteful than any other game in the series besides maybe Bloodborne. I legitimately don't know if DkS2 and DkS3 actually do anything well enough to earn the degree of narrative discussion, thematic debate, and plot puzzling "lore guys" and BFSC give them. DkS2 is frustrating and unsatisfying to grapple with on any non-mechanical level and DkS3 is the first game in the series that feels like a formulaic, "hitting the right buttons in the right order on paper" kind of sequel.

Baku fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 27, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking about it again, a great example of how Dark Souls 3 feels too much like a paint-by-numbers sequel is its need to up the ante. Sequels frequently do this. But you can't really do that with Dark Souls because in the first game you were already basically playing for all the marbles.

Which is why Dark Souls 2 had to lean heavily into the idea that absolutely everything is pointless and meaningless, and Dark Souls 3 made you hop from one Firelink Shrine to another and fight the amalgamation of everybody who played the game, both of which were bad.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought the final boss of DS3 was pretty fun and I think people look at DS1 with some serious rose-colored glasses :shrug:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I mentioned it in this week's BSC, but I'm just tired of all the attempts to wring a good story out of the pieces and parts DS3 gives you. The game plays great, and I'm looking forward to the PVP arena, but the lore stuff is just...depressing.

Now that the DLC has arrived and 100% didn't address all the complaints people had regarding the story, it's even worse. I'm already hearing "but the second DLC pack is supposed to be way bigger!" It doesn't even have a name yet, for fucks sake.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

EC posted:

I mentioned it in this week's BSC, but I'm just tired of all the attempts to wring a good story out of the pieces and parts DS3 gives you.

Stop trying then?

I still don't know why Lost Bastille had exploding mummies, and I'll die never knowing why it had exploding mummies, and I'm pretty okay with that, all things considered

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

I mentioned it in this week's BSC, but I'm just tired of all the attempts to wring a good story out of the pieces and parts DS3 gives you. The game plays great, and I'm looking forward to the PVP arena, but the lore stuff is just...depressing.

I mean same except I also felt the exact same way about 2 even after the DLC and the Ultimate GOTY Edition

I thought the final boss of DS3 was pretty fun and I think people look at DS1 with some serious rose-colored glasses :shrug:

It came out five years ago and I've played it since then, it's not like some artifact from my childhood

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm legitimately sorry that this game in a series you really like is not giving you what you like about the series, but at a certain point you kinda just have to stop trying to make lemonade with potatoes. The potato isn't going to turn into citrus fruit if you keep talking about how it isn't one and nobody can say you didn't make a valiant effort to invent potato juice

wizard on a water slide posted:

It came out five years ago and I've played it since then, it's not like some artifact from my childhood

Man, you can have rose-colored glasses for things that happened on a summer vacation of this year. It's not an exclusively childhood thing

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's possible "rose-colored glasses" doesn't mean quite the same thing to me that it does to you, then; I don't think having fond feelings for something because it felt fresh, bold, and interesting the first time I played it impairs my judgment, because part of why I don't like Dark Souls 2 and 3 as much is that they feel derivative and obligatory by dint of being faithful sequels, adding to a foundation rather than making something new, and not always for the better even mechanically. This is part of why I preferred Bloodborne and it stood out to me; it felt like it was grappling with new ideas both mechanically and thematically.

Ironically, this conversation started with me agreeing with you that I'm kind of sick of hearing people talk at length about the series, so I'll drop it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's possible "rose-colored glasses" doesn't mean quite the same thing to me that it does to you, then; I don't think having fond feelings for something because it felt fresh, bold, and interesting the first time I played it impairs my judgment, because part of why I don't like Dark Souls 2 and 3 as much is that they feel derivative and obligatory by dint of being faithful sequels, adding to a foundation rather than making something new, and not always for the better even mechanically. This is part of why I preferred Bloodborne and it stood out to me; it felt like it was grappling with new ideas both mechanically and thematically.

Ironically, this conversation started with me agreeing with you that I'm kind of sick of hearing people talk at length about the series, so I'll drop it.

I actually think we're agreeing more than disagreeing because I feel like part of the reason people are so grumpy about Dark Souls 3 is that it's still doing a lot of the stuff that was done in DS1, but what could be glossed over because of how fresh, bold, and interesting the game was then has become an open wound now and people don't seem to remember the extent to which they've always been here, even if they certainly should have been changed by now.

I'll drop it too though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Dark Souls has been my Castlevania replacement for many years so with the series running out of steam (creatively, as discussed here and many other places, and From saying they are done...which I don't believe) I'm most interested to see what game eventually pops up in its wake and nails the feeling/creative spirit.