Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Organza Quiz posted:

Rename him Macavity immediately. Also, get him a friend and/or some toys he can play with by himself.

Believe me, he has plenty of toys. He mostly wakes me up because he's hungry, and I just got a puzzle feeder for him so that should go a long way towards keeping him occupied at night (I had him on wet food before, but he's stopped eating most of it, and it was stinking up the apartment something fierce).

Mister Adequate posted:

I wouldn't completely rule it out, the smartest couple of cats I've known could plausibly do something like that. Not at all likely, but not beyond them either. Perhaps more likely is that the door opened (either through you overlooking it or through feline cunning) and Tuna shut it again by simple accident whilst leaving, just by brushing against it or something?

Yeah, this is the conclusion I've reached. It was still the most bewildering thing in the moment, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
One of my cats is apparently engrossed by the Angry Birds Movie. He's watching it with my dad with his mouth half open. How do I improve my cat's taste in films?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MrSlam posted:

One of my cats is apparently engrossed by the Angry Birds Movie. He's watching it with my dad with his mouth half open. How do I improve my cat's taste in films?

Why should your cat have better taste in films than your father?

You can always show him the original angry birds movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hplpQt424Ls

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I miss my kitten. 10 days untill I can see her again.

Tui
Oct 26, 2016
I just got a cat yesterday and she's already curled up in my lap asleep right now, she seems to have made herself at home pretty quickly.
Unfortunately my internet's being a wee bit lovely so no photos just yet, but I assure you she's incredibly fluffy!

Actually, on that note I'm here to ask some advice on cat grooming. She's got a few knots in her fur and I'm wondering what's the best way to deal with them. Just cut them out? Leave them to grow out on their own? Take her to a groomer? Apparently shaving isn't a good option for ragdolls because their fur will grow back really dark.
Sorry if these are dumb questions with very obvious answers, the only other long-haired cat I've had was when I was a kid so I don't really remember all those details.

Also she has a poopy bum so I want to give her a cat bath at some point, which I've also never done before. New things!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welcome to the world of long haired cats and poopy butts. See if you cant get a cheapish pair of electric clippers to trim mats and her butt (trust me on this one). As for working out knots, get a detangling comb, hold the fur underneath the knot and try teasing it out gently.

Also where'd you hear about this growing out dark thing? They do get darker hairs where they're cooler though.

Tui
Oct 26, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

Welcome to the world of long haired cats and poopy butts. See if you cant get a cheapish pair of electric clippers to trim mats and her butt (trust me on this one). As for working out knots, get a detangling comb, hold the fur underneath the knot and try teasing it out gently.
Also where'd you hear about this growing out dark thing? They do get darker hairs where they're cooler though.

I dunno, it was one of the things that came up when I googled it. Something to do with being cooler. That's so weird!
It doesn't get so hot here though so if I can get rid of the mats (there aren't any really bad ones) easily enough then there's really no reason to shave her.

I'll try the teasing thing, she came with a couple of combs so I'll see how I do.

Edit:
This is the little slut herself

Tui fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 26, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its fine really to shave them. Its to do with their skin temperature which affects the color of the hair as it grows, which is why they have dark faces, feet, tails. As long as you're not giving the cat a huge bald spot all the time at one spot it wont be noticable.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That is some glorious fluff. Is it as soft as it looks?

It might be worth one trip to a groomer for a first cleanup and I'd assume they can give you long term fur care instructions.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Are you positive there's a cat somewhere in all that floof?

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

^ Seconding the groomer. My mum has a ragdoll and she takes him in every now and then, definitely helps with the matting and poop butt, plus they trim his claws. They also helped her find the best brushes and how to keep him lookin' sharp.

An aside: The first time they accidentally gave him a lion cut instead of a kitten cut, because my mum didn't know the difference. My dad spent the whole day just sighing heavily every time he saw the cat. The cat was His Bro, but dad was a pretty manly dude and I think seeing his already pretty girly-looking buddy with such a goofy haircut was a bit of a trial for the poor man.

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!
So I wanted to check with you guys what you think about an incident that happened with my cat last weekend. Basically, she's always been a bit annoyed with guests, but always manages to stay cool and not attack them. I've had a couple of incidents where she's swatted at people, but never really hurt anyone.

Last weekend I invited two friends to my house (not first time they came) and she was a bit annoyed with them initially. We decided since it was a nice day (I live in a two room apartment) that we would move the table from the living room to the balcony. Once we did that I noticed she was annoyed so I decided to close the balcony door so she didn't come out with us.

After a while I decided to go to the kitchen to look for something and she attacked me viciously out of nowhere. I mean she didn't really hurt me since I blocked her with a chair, but she was EXTREMELY pissed and ready to pounce on me. Don't know how I got away and ran to the balcony. So now I'm there with my two friends practically locked and not able to access my apartment. After a while I decide to open the door and again she tries to go outside to attack me, I close it I believe in the process hurting her leg.

The only way we got away is that I closed my bedroom door quickly once she was in there. After I came back from saying goodbye to everyone she was still annoyed and I could hear it from the other side of the door. I was really shocked and afraid so I left the apartment to look for my brother which later came by and basically invaded her space even more to leave food and close the balcony door. I was, shamefully, too afraid to go in and help.

I left her a whole night to calm down and the next day we came back, she was still annoyed but let me touch her after a while. Right now she's OK with me but I'm still a bit afraid she'll go crazy out of nowhere, I haven't even moved the table from the balcony inside because I'm afraid it will upset her.

I've looked online and I'm pretty sure it was a territorial thing. I'm guessing she was unhappy about the guests and us moving furniture, as well as not letting her go outside. I read as well that when they get like that and can't act on what's bothering them, that they lash out at the owner (redirected aggression it's called), which I'm guessing is the reason why she tried to attack me.

Do you guys have any opinions? I know I sound pathetic being so afraid, but it was such a shock to have a pet that loves you go ballistic like that. I can't even describe the NOISES she made when she was angry... I'm just sad since now I'm afraid to invite people over.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I don't have much advice for dealing with the territorial thing I'm afraid but I just wanted to say that you aren't pathetic for being scared. Cats are absolutely terrifying when they lose their poo poo.

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!

Werong Bustope posted:

I don't have much advice for dealing with the territorial thing I'm afraid but I just wanted to say that you aren't pathetic for being scared. Cats are absolutely terrifying when they lose their poo poo.

Thanks for the support, I know it's not crazy to be afraid, but I do feel a bit foolish. Development, I moved the table inside, she didn't react much which was good. Right now she's laying next to me, and I'm really trying to stop feeling anxious.

Like a little ago she cornered me close to the bed and I got really uncomfortable. I'm sure she was simply following me, but I can't stop myself from feeling nervous. I'm hoping it will go away eventually...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Werong Bustope posted:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Ginny posted:

Do you guys have any opinions?

In your position, I'd be going to a vet for options. I'd be wondering if anti-anxiety meds might help her, for example.

Maybe in the meantime you could try secluding her in a bedroom/spare room before guests come over so she doesn't have a chance to get so wound up again?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My parents have a cat that is also permanently enraged to some degree. Unfortunately we are fundamentally broken people because we find his bloodthirstiness and rage to be an endearing personality quirk and while I have had to run the length of their hallway (to hide in a bedroom) with this cat sprinting behind me trying to tear shreds out of my legs, I was giggling the whole time.

He is however less endearing when he turns his considerable anger on visitors. He is better now than he used to be, but when people come over he generally is shut out of the lounge or wherever. If he's out and about people are told to not try to give him a pat. They tried prozac which didn't really have an effect, and I think in the end they just ended up having a couple of feliway diffusers around the house to wind him down a notch.

So, if your cat's a dick to visitors, maybe designate one room as her chill out zone and fill it with sweet sweet feliway pheromones?

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!
Yeah, I believe the best course of action is to leave her in a room with all her toys and necessities. The main issue is that where I live right now there's only a bedroom, and it has a sliding door. The bitch can OPEN the door in no time.

The other issue is that the bathroom is in the bedroom, so nobody can go if she's locked there (which she won't, since she can open it). I can leave her on the balcony but it has a huge window to the living room and she can see us still, so no help there. God, I need to move...

I went to a vet the other day, she didn't really find it too odd. She was more interested in coming over and checking the place out, if she won't let her touch her, at least to see if there's something in my apartment that is off for her.

I feel so lovely... she's really nice with me right now but I can't shake the fear! I hope it goes away :( I'm worried she can sense it and it's making her angry/sad/whatever. I let her come to my lap and hug me, but it's hard for me not to feel off.

Has anyone else experienced something similar with their cat?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Having a bit of a problem reintegrating my radioactive cat back into the cat social structure. She has been home for two weeks and her former buddy still hates her. She'll be sitting on the bed doing nothing and the other cat will just look at her and get mad, growling and hissing and trying to drive her off. Does she smell THAT much different now that her hyperthyroidism has been cured?

Tui
Oct 26, 2016

Boogalo posted:

That is some glorious fluff. Is it as soft as it looks?

It might be worth one trip to a groomer for a first cleanup and I'd assume they can give you long term fur care instructions.

Like a little cloud. With knots and poop hidden in it.

porkswordonboard posted:

^ Seconding the groomer. My mum has a ragdoll and she takes him in every now and then, definitely helps with the matting and poop butt, plus they trim his claws. They also helped her find the best brushes and how to keep him lookin' sharp.

An aside: The first time they accidentally gave him a lion cut instead of a kitten cut, because my mum didn't know the difference. My dad spent the whole day just sighing heavily every time he saw the cat. The cat was His Bro, but dad was a pretty manly dude and I think seeing his already pretty girly-looking buddy with such a goofy haircut was a bit of a trial for the poor man.

What are the different cuts? When I google it it only shows the lion cut, which looks hilariously embarrassing.

I asked the groomers about how much it costs and stuff and they were pretty friendly, but they also recommended that I leave it at least a month for her to settle in before I take her there. So I'll do that and maybe try giving her a bath in the meantime.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just get a hygiene cut. I give my fluffball semi regular ones with an old beard trimmer. Take your cat to the groomer if you're not confident about it though.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Good ol' Wikihow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just get a hygiene cut. I give my fluffball semi regular ones with an old beard trimmer. Take your cat to the groomer if you're not confident about it though.

I think the "kitten" cut (shorter all over, no silly stuff) is just the hygiene cut with a cuter name.

Also you're right about not going to the groomer yet, Tui...it might be too stressful to try it too soon. I suggest looking for a cat safe detangling spray of some sort to help your brush slide through the knots in the meantime.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned a slicker brush for getting mats out gently.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, if i'm looking to be a first time cat owner, what's the best way to get a chill, lazy cat?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panzeh posted:

So, if i'm looking to be a first time cat owner, what's the best way to get a chill, lazy cat?

Go to a shelter, tell the staff you're looking for a chill, lazy cat and anything else that may be of concern to you - are you looking for a cat that will be happy by itself, are you looking for a pair, etc.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Seconding go to a shelter and tell them your needs. Look for cat 3+ years old. Male cats are often, but not always, lazier. Make sure your future cat has stuff to keep it occupied while you're out of the house so it doesn't get bored.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Get an older cat, ask the shelter, hang with the cat before you adopt

Always remember though that you get no guarantees with your cat's behavior

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cythereal posted:

Go to a shelter, tell the staff you're looking for a chill, lazy cat and anything else that may be of concern to you - are you looking for a cat that will be happy by itself, are you looking for a pair, etc.

This is what I did in addition to several trips to the shelter just playing with every cat there who would give me the time of day. Ended up taking this thing home 3 months ago and she's been great. 3 years, 2 months old.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
You want an older cat.

Browse the rescue's photos, often they have descriptions of the cat's personality.

I did this many years ago and fell in love with the cat they had named "Goliath" whose description was something like:
"this cat is a bully and we hope someone will take him before we need to put him down, as he has mauled the other cats consistently over the last year and has now taken a whole room in the shelter for his own".

When I went to see him, he was lying on the entrance to the patio whacking all approaching cats in the head.

I'm a normal sized human female and Goliath weighed 10.5kg and was built like a bulldog.

Love at first sight.

edit: if you want a good catte

lizard_phunk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 29, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So my cat went in for the last dose of the FeLV vaccine and now he's completely lethargic and has thrown up at least 9 times today, he can't keep anything down.

Vet is closed and no emergency vets in my area, anything I can do? He was just fine yesterday it started during the morning but he just threw up a hairball, figured it was just that but it hasn't stopped and he just threw up again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

lizard_phunk posted:

You want an older cat.

Browse the rescue's photos, often they have descriptions of the cat's personality.

I did this many years ago and fell in love with the cat they had named "Goliath" whose description was something like:
"this cat is a bully and we hope someone will take him before we need to put him down, as he has mauled the other cats consistently over the last year and has now taken a whole room in the shelter for his own".

When I went to see him, he was lying on the entrance to the patio whacking all approaching cats in the head.

I'm a normal sized human female and Goliath weighed 10.5kg and was built like a bulldog.

Love at first sight.

Goliath is one diesel motherfucker of a cat. Holy poo poo.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Visited my friend this week, and caught Leo laying in bed showing off his beans:

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
Has anyone dealt with hypokalemia before? I ended up taking my 8-year-old cat to the emergency vet last night because of a drastic change in behavior over the course of the day, which eventually turned into pretty pronounced cervical ventroflexion. The bloodwork they did there revealed potassium deficiency with no immediately obvious underlying cause (kidneys and liver look healthy) and her physical exam revealed a heart murmur that wasn't there before. Her head droop is killing me to see, so I hope her potassium glutamate supplement starts helping soon and she starts becoming more active.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

lizard_phunk posted:

You want an older cat.

Love at first sight.

Hahaha that bastard could beat up a medium sized doggo, what a great catte :allears: We had a cat when I was a kid named Chaucer (We always called him Muss for some reason) who was similar, not as heavy but a brutal son of a bitch. My dad used gardening gloves to play with him and still got scratches and bites. Also as he was an indoor-outdoor cat he would sometimes bring home prizes, but he would usually do something hosed up like drop off a mouse's head and attached spine and nothing else, or just entrails, or one particularly memorable occasion when he left us a flayed mouse head. No skin, no other part of mouse, just a loving Ramsey Bolton warning to us.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Update on Jackie/Sardine: Things have stayed pretty civil and stable! They actually *kinda* get along! For some odd reason Sardine is way more sociable and relaxed in the evening/night, whereas in the daytime she basically sleeps and runs away from people. At night she turns into a little social butterfly and likes to talk a bit and demands lots of attention. Very adorable big ol' Tabby. She's way bigger than Jackie, and less fat.

And Jackie tolerates her more! Though Sardine is still not allowed in my room without Jackie angrily chasing her out with tooth and claw. But like, Sardine is really working on Jackie - she nuzzles her and walks into and around her and Jackie only mildly meows a bit at this maybe, and it's nice to see friendly cat-touching. Then Sardine goes so far as to try putting her paw on Jackie's back and licking the top of her head (a place Jackie can't reach while grooming of course) but this was a bad move I guess, as it inspired Jackie to hiss and attack her right away :sigh: Oh Jackerie, I hope you come around.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Also as he was an indoor-outdoor cat he would sometimes bring home prizes, but he would usually do something hosed up like drop off a mouse's head and attached spine and nothing else, or just entrails, or one particularly memorable occasion when he left us a flayed mouse head. No skin, no other part of mouse, just a loving Ramsey Bolton warning to us.

My bastard Decoy left a dead mouse reverently placed in his empty food bowl, with no sign of any external trauma except for the neatly removed heart, which he had left intact sitting on the mouse's chest.

It was a profound moment coming home to that.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Tamarillo posted:

My bastard Decoy left a dead mouse reverently placed in his empty food bowl, with no sign of any external trauma except for the neatly removed heart, which he had left intact sitting on the mouse's chest.

It was a profound moment coming home to that.

That's...beautiful... in a cat...way.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

kaworu posted:

Update on Jackie/Sardine:

Thanks for keeping the updates going. They sound like really good cats, and I hope they keep improving. I don't remember: have you tried giving them treats together as a way of rewarding peaceful coexistence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Gorgar posted:

Thanks for keeping the updates going. They sound like really good cats, and I hope they keep improving. I don't remember: have you tried giving them treats together as a way of rewarding peaceful coexistence?

Yes! I have been doing this a lot lately, and it actually seems to help! I give them treats simultaneously right next to each other and it gets both physically close and tolerating one another and happy... They also share the same food bowl, and are totally fine at managing who gets to each what (with a little scheduling/timing help from me).

Honestly, I'm not just happy I stuck with Sardine, I'm happy that Sardine is still tirelessly working to soften Jackie's bitter heart - and she just doesn't give up no matter how many times Jackie hisses or swats at her or chases her. It helps that Jackie poses no real threat whatsoever to Sardine, and that Sardine doesn't want to play with Jackie or annoy her, just be chill kitty-friends with her. If Sardine were trying too hard then Jackie would be really pissed and miserable.

quote:

Serial Killer Cats

Good god. Jackie is an indoor/outdoor cat, but she's so hilariously harmless and incompetent as a hunter. She can't even catch and kill a fly - seriously, I've seen her try and it's so pathetic and annoying that I have to kill it for her or get it out the window if that happens. She doesn't chase squirrels, she runs away from them. Sardine has never shown any interest whatsoever in going outside (maybe an NYC cat thing) but I bet she could hunt maybe if she tried or had to, and maybe even has before. She seems totally like a cat who could do that.

Jackie's the pathetic one, though - she's the one who can't even jump onto the counter - what kind of cat can't even jump onto the kitchen counter, I mean really! And she has no excuse, Jackie grew up in a house surrounded by a wooded area, tutored by a masterful cat-hunter as a kitten, and she's still a total klutz who trips over her giant paws with her stubby legs when she tries to pull any moves, generally. She does not run, but rather waddles rapidly. I really gotta post some video of her running or going up and down stairs, it's high comedy. The combination of big paws, short legs, and a little pouch of fat that is millimetres from touching the ground and swings back and forth when she walks/runs :xd... Ah boy, I shouldn't laugh. She's my kitty and I love her.