Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

That's not the mastery bonus, it's just an inbuilt feature that gets better as class ranks increase. Druid also gets MP reduction (slightly better than Sage's). Luminary gets a chance to cause enemies to skip a turn (based on Style, I think?).

Mastery bonuses are stat increases at level 8 of a vocation. Sage gets +20 Wisdom, Druid gets +30 MP, Luminary +20 Style.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Oh, thanks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, but also get yourself into some advanced classes. Warrior/Martial Artist/Priest is enough to go Gladiator/Paladin>Champion>Hero so that's covered for the first two, Ruff might want Sailor>Pirate and then Martial Artist>Gladiator>Hero. Alternatively, if you're going to use Maribel as your caster at endgame... uh, it's Sage, right? Mage+Priest is Sage? And then Troubador+Jester>Luminary>Druid or whatever it's called.

Yeah Pirate is real good and looks cool. I'm gonna make Maribel a Pop Idol :dance:

Sailor is also way better for a starter class than you might think, especially early on, since their last ability is a free multi-hit lightning attack.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

precision posted:

Yeah Pirate is real good and looks cool. I'm gonna make Maribel a Pop Idol :dance:

Sailor is also way better for a starter class than you might think, especially early on, since their last ability is a free multi-hit lightning attack.

It's called Lightning, and it looks like lightning, but it is actually considered Bang-line damage, not Zap-line. Unfortunate, I know.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

What's the mastery bonus on Luminary and Druid?

I know Sage is spells cost less mp.

I will say having a Level 8 luminary is pretty handy, the distraction effects happens pretty frequently at max level

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Hustle Dance is also really good for most of the main plot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Did you know that the villagers in DQ4's first chapter react differently if you put Healie in front in your line up? Good game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Did you know that the villagers in DQ4's first chapter react differently if you put Healie in front in your line up? Good game.

Dragon Quest is full of little details like that that they really didn't have to bother with, it's great. Kinda silly that they freak out at a cute lil healslime though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
What's DQ 11 like? I know that both 10 and 11 are coming to the Switch, but I have no interest in MMOs. 11, on the other hand, might catch my fancy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Absolutely no idea yet, except that it will be a classic DQ game and the 3DS version will be the same story but with like DW7 style graphics and the option to turn them into SNES-era graphics.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't think XI even has a release date yet. We know next to nothing about it other than what systems it'll be on and what the MC looks like. I'm not entirely sure if they've even discussed enough for us to know whether you're recruiting characters with story vs. create-a-characters or randoms.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Christ almighty, Rimuldar was garbage. Huge sprawling area with a ton of high plateaus that waste your time (even factoring in cutting stairs to get around), garbage armor and weapons until the last leg of the chapter, and a boss that requires you to have your stationary, single-directional weapons placed at the perfect height or you watch the bolts fly harmlessly over it.

I really hope chapter 3 is amazing, because Rimuldar was a complete chore. I don't know if I could stand going back to try to get the last two challenges.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Absolutely no idea yet, except that it will be a classic DQ game and the 3DS version will be the same story but with like DW7 style graphics and the option to turn them into SNES-era graphics

So what you're saying is that there's no reason to buy the Switch version at all then?

Chachi posted:

Christ almighty, Rimuldar was garbage. Huge sprawling area with a ton of high plateaus that waste your time (even factoring in cutting stairs to get around), garbage armor and weapons until the last leg of the chapter, and a boss that requires you to have your stationary, single-directional weapons placed at the perfect height or you watch the bolts fly harmlessly over it.

I really hope chapter 3 is amazing, because Rimuldar was a complete chore. I don't know if I could stand going back to try to get the last two challenges.

Yeah I've got it paused in the other room and I just want it to be over with. I don't even have a third teleportal yet so I'm probably a long way off. I did get a Sapphire by sheer luck so I have a Cloak of Evasion which is nice but Christ where are potatoes I didn't sign up for Harvest Moon nooooooo

On the upside I built my garden on top of a building, which is pretty fuckin' awesome. I've made such a weirdly elaborate fort this time. I'll screenshot it, here:

I feel like this mess of stairs that go nowhere, uneven floors, and rooms littered with empty "bottles" adequately expresses my feelings.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

precision posted:

So what you're saying is that there's no reason to buy the Switch version at all then?

Yeah I've got it paused in the other room and I just want it to be over with. I don't even have a third teleportal yet so I'm probably a long way off. I did get a Sapphire by sheer luck so I have a Cloak of Evasion which is nice but Christ where are potatoes I didn't sign up for Harvest Moon nooooooo

On the upside I built my garden on top of a building, which is pretty fuckin' awesome. I've made such a weirdly elaborate fort this time. I'll screenshot it, here:

I feel like this mess of stairs that go nowhere, uneven floors, and rooms littered with empty "bottles" adequately expresses my feelings.

It's entirely possible that the switch version gets to do that too. We don't know anything about that version yet.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Someone told me the boss came from the west so I just guessed at the height and ended up getting it perfectly.

you don't need this many, just put like 3 near one another in the middle and alternate firing them, they horizontally autoaim a little bit

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 27, 2016

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Chapter 3 (and 4) is amazing, especially coming off chapter 2 stick with it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I enjoyed chapter 2. I got the height right by building it about the height that the condor spawns during monster waves, but had it all facing the wrong way so I had to rebuild mid fight. I did love how the base turned out though. The centerpiece was a 3 story tower. the windows help with the camera angles a lot since you can see without having to go into the first person camera.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Is there an endless/survival-type mode? Or once you finish the chapters that's it?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ofecks posted:

Is there an endless/survival-type mode? Or once you finish the chapters that's it?

You can unlock free build mode after finishing Chapter 1 and there are light survival mechanics where you need to obtain food to survive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is the Free Mode a new map every time you start it otherwise what's the point?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Is there a megathread for Builders? I am having a hard time making roofs.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So do you want the ballistas facing in towards your city or out towards the cliffs?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Tensokuu posted:

So do you want the ballistas facing in towards your city or out towards the cliffs?

Outward on the west side

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
So I don't have time to play dq7 (mostly cause of builders) but I've been dutifully collecting the DLC traveler's tablets for when I do have time. Turns out you can only hold 28?! And they're throwing 3 new ones at us a week? What the hell? I'm only level 15 too. Which if any can I clear out and delete?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Feels like they kind of gave up on islands towards the middle/end. Providence is a pretty big blink and it's over.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The Last Story is fantastic and needs to be rereleased on the Switch.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Is there any way to find misplaced or lost critical items in Builders? I'm trying to free the blacksmith in chapter one, and I must have done something with the key I need because I can't find it anywhere. I know a monster disguised as Pippa is supposed to drop the key by the door he's locked behind, but I don't remember what I did with it. (I can't really remember if I fought the monster, but I don't know how else I would get it--or why the monster wouldn't be there--if I didn't.)

bobservo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 28, 2016

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

bobservo posted:

Is there any way to find misplaced or lost critical items in Builders? I'm trying to free the blacksmith in chapter one, and I must have done something with the key I need because I can't find it anywhere. I know a monster disguised as Pippa is supposed to drop the key by the door he's locked behind, but I don't remember what I did with it. (I can't really remember if I fought the monster, but I don't know how else I would get it--or why the monster wouldn't be there--if I didn't.)

You can destroy regular chests to get them to drop all their contents, for what it's worth. If you have a bunch of regular chests sitting around, try breaking them and see what happens. Or I guess just open them one by one but where's the fun in that :v:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I appreciate that Terra Incognita has a few puzzles in it and isn't just islands with extra resources. However I feel like maybe the game could use another chapter or two. Maybe I just burned through it too fast, I dunno.

edit: RSZXRfbZS is my summon code if you want to see my recreation of the mage tower from Ultima Online.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 29, 2016

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Builders is just way too fun. Chapter 2 did feel like a slog towards the end, but I enjoyed building my town around fighting the boss. Chapter 3 was fun pretty much the whole way through due to the cool buds you get and the various types of locomotion available. Just started on the last Chapter and wow. The game ramps up even more somehow. Might take a break from story mode to free build a bit though. Do you get villagers in Terra Incognita or is it just empty? It would be nice to have someone to build rooms for and such, but I guess I could always load a save from Ch1-3 if I want that.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Builders is just way too fun. Chapter 2 did feel like a slog towards the end, but I enjoyed building my town around fighting the boss. Chapter 3 was fun pretty much the whole way through due to the cool buds you get and the various types of locomotion available. Just started on the last Chapter and wow. The game ramps up even more somehow. Might take a break from story mode to free build a bit though. Do you get villagers in Terra Incognita or is it just empty? It would be nice to have someone to build rooms for and such, but I guess I could always load a save from Ch1-3 if I want that.

I read somewhere you get 10-15? Villagers in free mode but I don't know how it works exactly.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I beat the snes version of dq3 finally. Should I bother with the bonus dungeon? Looks like there's no real story additions for it. If not, then I'm on to dq7.

I used all sexy females. Hero, cleric, mage and thief. Around level 40 (after all spells were learned) I changed cleric to thief, mage to fighter and thief to sage. Zoma was super easy compared to the final boss from dq2 but I was definitely overpowered.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Bigass Moth posted:

I beat the snes version of dq3 finally. Should I bother with the bonus dungeon? Looks like there's no real story additions for it. If not, then I'm on to dq7.

There's kind of story depending on what you wish for? You can bring Ortega back to life but I can't stand the bonus boss in 3 or its terribad gimmick of requiring you to beat it in X turns less than last time to get another wish. It's just a mechanism to force you to reclass your characters a billion times for max stats.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hokuto posted:

There's kind of story depending on what you wish for? You can bring Ortega back to life but I can't stand the bonus boss in 3 or its terribad gimmick of requiring you to beat it in X turns less than last time to get another wish. It's just a mechanism to force you to reclass your characters a billion times for max stats.

You mean like every single superboss in every single Dragon Quest game?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That just means it's never been a great mechanic. Except for Nokturnus, where it was literally an Easter egg after proving how badass you were. And even that had the SFC's requirement to master every vocation...when Lizzie came right before the dark world and Liquid Metal Mind was a postgame scroll.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Alxprit posted:

You mean like every single superboss in every single Dragon Quest game?

Yeah, and it's bad in every other game too

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How many levels are there to each job?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Unmature posted:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Unmature posted:

Also the stars will turn yellow at mastery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thanks, dudes. I put the game down a couple weeks ago to play some SMTIV:A and got super busy. DQVII is surprisingly easy to pick up after a while. Usually if I put down an RPG for three days I'm totally lost.