Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Thanks Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mycophobia posted:

And just how is a prose translation of the Odyssey not exactly an enjoyable prose story about the myth of Odysseus?

It's not actually a very thorough or gripping version of the story by modern standards. Only about 30% of the poem is actually about Odysseus' journey and a lot of the stories are glossed over. Hell, the final two books are about the burial arrangements of all the suitors he killed. Quite simply, the Odyssey isn't really a very exciting version of the story so if you are arguing for pure "enjoyment" I don't think Homer's telling of the story is really a good pick.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
That makes sense.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

mycophobia posted:

I feel like a prose translation of the Odyssey would be better than the Wishbone adaptation, personally.

It would be worse. With a wishbone episode, at least you're not deluding yourself with the fiction that you're having an experience remotely comparable to the actual act of reading it in verse.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

CountFosco posted:

It would be worse. With a wishbone episode, at least you're not deluding yourself with the fiction that you're having an experience remotely comparable to the actual act of reading it in verse.

Have you considered that perhaps Homer's Odyssey was improved by a Jack Russell terrier shooting an arrow through 12 axes?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just watch O Brother Where Art Thou.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Just watch O Brother Where Art Thou.

I like that movie

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

at the date posted:

Have you considered that perhaps Homer's Odyssey was improved by a Jack Russell terrier shooting an arrow through 12 axes?

Well, tbf his adaptation of Ivanhoe was pawsitevely rousing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
it's almost like language is inherently subjective and limited

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure what you mean.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But when somebody calls you a pedantic twit you still get the gist, right?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

mycophobia posted:

But that's obviously not the point of a prose translation of the Odyssey.

Thank you for your deep insight

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I'm sorry, I'm simply unconvinced that a prose translation of the Odyssey is valueless.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
For reasons other than being boring, of course.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I agree. A prose version isn't that faithful to the experience of hearing Homer perform in archaic Greek, but you've got to admit that a poetic translation would be verse.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
christ calm down I just want an outline of the myth that's more in-depth than a Wikipedia article so that I can better understand its influence in the works that I read. Not because I actually want to enjoy it. Reading isn't for enjoyment, it's for intellectual posturing!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TE Lawrence did a prose translation of the Odyssey, I haven't read it but I did read a cool article that talked about his process of doing it while hanging out in some border post in the middle of nowhere in Pakistan.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hate this thread and forum

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fantasy zone posted:

Nah this is a cool thread

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
guys I think the most pure way to experience the Odyssey is to hire an old greek man to read it to me, any recommendations on where I can find an old Greek man?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

guys I think the most pure way to experience the Odyssey is to hire an old greek man to read it to me, any recommendations on where I can find an old Greek man?

jokes on you homer wasn't real

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Greece.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hello

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

jokes on you homer wasn't real

what about the other old greek men

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/sh/index.htm

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

fantasy zone posted:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Speaking of the Odyssey I'm reading Dead Souls and the similes are soooo goooooood

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The correct answer to should I read a prose or verse Odyssey is: you should read the Iliad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Speaking of the Odyssey I'm reading Dead Souls and the similes are soooo goooooood

What are your thoughts on Ashes of Ariandel

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
That's cool and I didn't know they sang it, I thought it was just some guy reciting it in a small theater or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5KcPraGOs4

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

CestMoi posted:

The correct answer to should I read a prose or verse Odyssey is: you should read the Iliad

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

THE PWNER posted:

what about the other old greek men

Greece is an illusion

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I always fond of the Aeneid the most, personally

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mycophobia posted:

A verse translation of the Odyssey isn't the Odyssey either.

this is a dumb opinion

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

this is a dumb opinion

I mean, you could make the argument that a translation of a work is actually its own work and should be considered artistically distinct from the original language version, but in practical terms I don't think its worthwhile to make the distinction.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ulvir posted:

this is a dumb opinion

For convenience it's perfectly fine to refer to it as the Odyssey, but strictly speaking, it's a work derived from the Odyssey.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I oughtta see you the gently caress out of this thread.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Problem, Nanomashoes?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Now there was a certain Olynthian, named mycophobia; he was a great lover of boys, and seeing a handsome lad, just in the bloom of youth, and carrying a light shield, about to be slain, he ran up to Xenophon and supplicated him to rescue the fair youth. Xenophon went to Seuthes and begged him not to put the boy to death. He explained to him the disposition of mycophobia; how he had once enrolled a company, the only qualification required being that of personal beauty; and with these handsome young men at his side there were none so brave as he. Seuthes put the question, "Would you like to die on his behalf, mycophobia?" whereat the other stretched out his neck, and said, "Strike, if the boy bids you, and will thank his preserver." Seuthes, turning to the boy, asked, "Shall I smite him instead of you?" The boy shook his head, imploring him to slay neither the one nor the other, whereupon mycophobia caught the lad in his arms, exclaiming, "It is time you did battle with me, Seuthes, for my boy; never will I yield him up," and Seuthes laughed: "what must be must," and so consented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
That sounds like a cool guy