Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Uthor posted:

If one uploads photos to Google Photos using the free high quality size (versus the original size), are they high enough quality for printing, say, 4x6 or 5x7 prints?

This would be uploading new photos from an S7 and converting already uploaded at original size photos from an S6 and S5.

(my sister has run out of space on her Google Drive and doesn't want to pay for more, is worried about printing quality)

You'd be hard -pressed to tell the difference between high and original quality. I certainly have no problem with the prints I get from high-quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FunOne posted:

If she is really concerned, tell her to find the $2 a month in the couch cushions to move up to 100 gigs.

She's got stupid money problems and free would be better.

I told her to use Flickr, but she doesn't want to change her ways.

At least she's doing something as a backup for her important files.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend an app that can play videos stored on an SMB share? I use Solid Explorer for file management and it shows pictures okay, but the videos don't work.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Anjow posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that can play videos stored on an SMB share? I use Solid Explorer for file management and it shows pictures okay, but the videos don't work.

FX manager seems to be able to pass network videos to VLC and MX player. Network access isn't free but I think there's a 7 day trial.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Give MiXplorer a try. It's on XDA.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Horn posted:

FX manager seems to be able to pass network videos to VLC and MX player. Network access isn't free but I think there's a 7 day trial.

Why you need something to pass to VLC? It handles network shares natively. I use VLC to play videos off my NAS with my SHIELD with no issues.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Why you need something to pass to VLC? It handles network shares natively. I use VLC to play videos off my NAS with my SHIELD with no issues.

I didn't know that vlc could browse shares. Thanks for the tip.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Here's a weird one: is there an app that will let me pull down the notification drawer and activate Home, Back, and Apps from the middle of the screen? The way I hold the phone one-handed, I can't reach the top or bottom of the screen without repositioning the phone in my hand, or getting my other hand involved (:haw:).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yes if you have root

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goodmooddroid.gesturecontroldemo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

or something like this if you don't

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boatmob.floating.touch

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

IAmKale posted:

Here's a weird one: is there an app that will let me pull down the notification drawer and activate Home, Back, and Apps from the middle of the screen? The way I hold the phone one-handed, I can't reach the top or bottom of the screen without repositioning the phone in my hand, or getting my other hand involved (:haw:).

This may or may not be what you're looking for, but Nova supports all kinds of gestures like these and you can do.... almost whatever you want with them. The downside is that they will only work while you're on your home screen, but they're nice.

For example:

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What's the best app for listening to youtube on background/with screen off? Youtube Red or whatever isn't available where I am.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FunOne posted:

SPERG: If she thinks the quality of the photos taken from a phone are good enough for 4x6 and 5x7 prints as is, then the google compression isn't going to be noticeable to her.

Honestly, the 16MP free image upload "compression" is very well regarded and seen as a "you're not going to notice it no matter how much you try" kind of thing..

Yeah initially I sperged out over the decision of whether to upgrade and/or micromanage my Google Photos storage. Then I remembered that they're ultimately still just phone camera pictures, and they pretty much never capture a high enough level of detail for that to matter. (And if you somehow ever got THAT great a picture, you could always just copy it to your computer or wherever else you want for safekeeping.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

jyrka posted:

What's the best app for listening to youtube on background/with screen off? Youtube Red or whatever isn't available where I am.

Firefox with ublock origin.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

jyrka posted:

If you're happy using weird XDA stuff, there's an app called "Y Music" that's a YouTube audio-only app.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Is there something that does good slow-mo video? The built in slow-mo setting on my p9 doesn't seem to allow any control beyond making the middle few seconds of a clip slow down, and I'm not having much luck trawling the play store.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Google stock camera does slow mo, but I don't see any options for additional control beyond start/stop recording.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Shannow posted:

Is there something that does good slow-mo video? The built in slow-mo setting on my p9 doesn't seem to allow any control beyond making the middle few seconds of a clip slow down, and I'm not having much luck trawling the play store.

Uthor posted:

The Google stock camera does slow mo, but I don't see any options for additional control beyond start/stop recording.

You can choose where you want the slow motion to stop/start after the fact. (with stock google camera app)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Google stock camera slowmo was so bad on the 6P that it basically didn't work. I'd have to reboot my phone before using it just so it wouldn't skip/jump/lag all over the place. I have high hopes for the Pixel.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I have the stock app installed just for photosphere, I can't see anything at all for any video control beyond resolution?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google stock camera slowmo was so bad on the 6P that it basically didn't work. I'd have to reboot my phone before using it just so it wouldn't skip/jump/lag all over the place. I have high hopes for the Pixel.

Yes, but you had all sorts of weird stuff with your 6P.

Slomo works great on mine.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Slo-mo on my 5x works great as well. I've got more dumb videos of my brother's dumb dog jumping into the air to catch things then I know what to do with.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The current Humble Mobile Bundle is RiffTrax. RiffTrax for mobile? Yeah. You have to download the free RiffTrax app, and it works like Shazam: It listens to the movie you're watching, and plays the quips.

For $1, you get RiffTrax for:
Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone
Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring
Batman: Tunnel of Terror (Episode 2)
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Beat the average (currently $8.67) for:
Twilight
Halloween
RiffTrax Live: Night Of The Living Dead
Cloverfield
Shake Hands With Danger
Game of Thrones: Season 1 Episode 1

Pay $10+ and also get:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Jurassic Park (Guest starring "Weird Al")
The Wizard

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Kerbtree posted:

If you're happy using weird XDA stuff, there's an app called "Y Music" that's a YouTube audio-only app.

Perfect, thank you!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kheldarn posted:

For $1, you get RiffTrax for:
Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

Off topic but I can't imagine this can even come close to the genius of Wizard People, Dear Reader.

Also that sounds like a weird way to play audio over a movie. You're supposed to hook the phone audio to the home theater system?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Stan Taylor posted:

Off topic but I can't imagine this can even come close to the genius of Wizard People, Dear Reader.

Also that sounds like a weird way to play audio over a movie. You're supposed to hook the phone audio to the home theater system?

Syncing it with the movie is the hardest part of rifftrax so having an app do it for you is pretty cool.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Stan Taylor posted:

I had never heard of this.
But after 10 minutes of it I have come to the conclusion of...

Pure genius.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Stan Taylor posted:

Or you just have it next to you on the couch, like your sarcastic friends would be! Sounds great and I would actually try rifftrax this way

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any apps or app launchers that'd be good for seniors who want to use their smart phones? My mom can get really confused during times of stress and anxiety so it's really important that they're intuitive.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Are there any apps or app launchers that'd be good for seniors who want to use their smart phones? My mom can get really confused during times of stress and anxiety so it's really important that they're intuitive.

I've looked into this in the past and the answer I came away with was "no". I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had better luck than I have.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I think I just had my weirdest google rewards questionnaire yet. It showed me a muted video ad for the google home assistent thing. The video had subtitles however and every question began with "hey Siri". It then asked me whether I'd trust Siri enough to put such a thing in my home.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I've looked into this in the past and the answer I came away with was "no". I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had better luck than I have.

I mean if you wanted to put in the effort you could probably come up with something customzied with Nova Launcher- then export the settings so you have them in case they do something bad.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

maybe these?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbeasy.largelauncher

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.kunes.android.launcher.activity

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
My galaxy s4 had an easy mode on it or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

vyst posted:

I mean if you wanted to put in the effort you could probably come up with something customzied with Nova Launcher- then export the settings so you have them in case they do something bad.

You could lock it down enough that they can't easily change the home screen without drilling down into tons of menus, at least.

Get rid of the quick settings, too. Judging from my mom using a Windows Phone, they'll turn on airplane mode, not notice for days, then complain that their phone isn't working. :sigh:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RandomPauI posted:

Jitterbug is very easy to use and they've got free phone support you can call at anytime.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I started messing around with ad blockers. I don't root my phone.

Adguard worked fine, and it has a paid feature that claims to remove ads in apps.
Block this! is open source, but the design and the broken English gave me malware vibes, though in fact I'm sure it's fine.
DNS66 is what I've settled on. Supposedly it will use less battery because it blocks at the DNS level (I don't know enough about these things to know if this is true). It has several known adblock/malware blacklists, it's open source, and has a simple design.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RandomPauI posted:

The most important thing is to just get them a large phone, so the icons and text are large and easy to read/understand without putting on reading glasses or something. And it also helps because it gives them wider touch targets to hit.

As far as launchers go though, Nova Launcher's backup/restore of launcher icon locations is rather easy to use, which can help a great deal if someone gets easily confused when icons move about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My mom has a Nexus 6 and does really well with the default Google Now launcher actually. It's a big bright screen with icons big enough for her to read and touch easily. She went from an iPhone 4 before that, and absolutely loves and actually has started asking me what big phone she should get next. So I recommend that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I'll go the Jitterbug Smart route. At $100 the price is right, it's got a 5.5 inch screen, and the labels next to the icons will really help her out. Thanks!