Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Zenithe posted:

What is the evidence it was racially motivated? Last I heard there was no motive known.

he set an Indian dude on fire. res ipsa loquitur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Clawtopsy posted:

As much as I will always love Asterix, because, as a kid, it was just about a silly fat man punching Romans hard,

is this really what bill is defending

this poo poo was every other issue

Do you know who bill leak is? That's exactly what he is defending. The only reason he would ever not defend that is jealousy at not having drawn it himself

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
actually it's admirable that they're keeping mentally impaired people like bill leak employed

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

What is the evidence it was racially motivated? Last I heard there was no motive known.
Evidence!? In a terror/definitely not terror, racial/definitely not racial determination!? Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

In the slight defence of Uderzo and Goscinny they never drew the oppressed looking like they were enjoying it and one of the dark characters was a pirate leader.
On the other hand they are Belgians(French Polish). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufqlbaurJPw

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zenithe posted:

ummmmmm the bus driver is brown and has a beard. Terrorism has been "ruled out". The 48 year old man from Moorooka is compliant. This area of Brisbane is quite multicultural, and has a lot of immigrants. It's not a stretch to see that this was very much racially/ethnically motivated, although I wonder if he intend to attack the bus or whether he was just going to molotov the first brown person he saw.

e:

this is why it's not terrorism guys, white person

Recoome fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 29, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

It's not a stretch to see that this was very much racially/ethnically motivated, although I wonder if he intend to attack the bus or whether he was just going to molotov the first brown person he saw.

It could very well be a racist attack, but I'm just wondering on what basis some of you seem to drawing that conclusion.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Zenithe posted:

It could very well be a racist attack, but I'm just wondering on what basis some of you seem to drawing that conclusion.

I could write a big rear end essay on why this could be racially motivated, but the tl;dr is that this side of Brisbane is ~extremely~ multicultural, and there's definitely a subsect of white Australians who aren't happy with it. Sure, it totally may not be racially motivated, but there's definitely extremist rhetoric WRT a "Muslim Invasion" and really anyone who is brown w/ a beard gets targeted.

Also Brisbane

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Mate, I work in Rocklea.

Again, I'm not saying it wasn't, just that there is almost no information yet regarding a motive.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Zenithe posted:

Mate, I work in Rocklea.

Again, I'm not saying it wasn't, just that there is almost no information yet regarding a motive.

People are drawing conclusions. I don't know why this is so unthinkable to you.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Jumping to conclusions that fit your narrative is only bad when the media does it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lmao gotta love though how "we can't draw conclusions" cause it's a white dude, amazing how it contrasts with a non white dude doing something

i am pushing it a bit more b/c it's amazing how we have a double standard WRT speculation

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did they find the guy who did it?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

tithin posted:

Did they find the guy who did it?

ID'd him thru the blurry face

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Recoome posted:

lmao gotta love though how "we can't draw conclusions" cause it's a white dude, amazing how it contrasts with a non white dude doing something

i am pushing it a bit more b/c it's amazing how we have a double standard WRT speculation

Yes it is a double standard but that doesn't make this kind of speculation any less irresponsible.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Sparticle posted:

Yes it is a double standard but that doesn't make this kind of speculation any less irresponsible.

I'm not really saying that the speculation is a great thing, it's just interesting that we will more readily jump to the defense when it's a 48 year olf white guy, as opposed to say a 16 year old Muslim guy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sparticle posted:

What evidence did the police have upon picking him up that they felt confident enough telling the media it was a random attack, with absolutely no motive?

Like that seems a very hard thing to prove.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Recoome posted:

I'm not really saying that the speculation is a great thing, it's just interesting that we will more readily jump to the defense when it's a 48 year olf white guy, as opposed to say a 16 year old Muslim guy.

lol if you think this thread doesn't get the shits when the media jumps straight to terrorism whenever a brown person commits a crime.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Recoome posted:

I think you're drawing a long bow accusing people in this thread of doing that. I'm pretty sure we've remained skeptical about the mainstream narrative of most omgterrorattacks that happen

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tokamak posted:

lol if you think this thread doesn't get the shits when the media jumps straight to terrorism whenever a brown person commits a crime.

Luckily this thread isn't the media, and shouldn't be held to the same standards wrt informing the public of the actual facts. :shrug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Actually the culprit was a former train driver who got fired for being mentally unstable a few months ago so his plan was to prove he was sane by lighting a bus driver on fire, waiting at the crime scene and walking up to police asking for a lawyer.

According to the news last night :shrug:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I can tell you my first thought when the story broke with barely any details was "mental health issues, someone really wanted to set someone on fire and see them burn" maybe the guy really has something against bus drivers, but it seems like his target could have been anyone

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

starkebn posted:

I can tell you my first thought when the story broke with barely any details was "mental health issues, someone really wanted to set someone on fire and see them burn" maybe the guy really has something against bus drivers, but it seems like his target could have been anyone
See also Lindt cafe siege except:

OMG BROWN!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!
IS FLAG TERROROROROROROR OMG OMG :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Luckily this thread isn't the media, and shouldn't be held to the same standards wrt informing the public of the actual facts. :shrug:

It still isn't good etiquette to mischaracterise other posters, which was the problem with the poster's argument.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Cartoon posted:

See also Lindt cafe siege except:

OMG BROWN!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!
IS FLAG TERROROROROROROR OMG OMG :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Manis was such a terrist mastermind he had to ask them to bring him the right flag

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tokamak posted:

It still isn't good etiquette to mischaracterise other posters, which was the problem with the poster's argument.

Personally I thought Recoome meant 'we' as broader than than the thread. But whatevs.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yeah we is the broader australian community which is generally not the auspol thread.

whole lotta posters projecting ITT

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Recoome posted:

so do you think it's okay if people speculate that if a Muslim commits a crime it's terrorism?

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Generally the terrorism angle is suggested when the perp screams "Allah Akbar", no-one is reporting Whitey yelled out anything similar.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BBJoey posted:

so do you think it's okay if people speculate that if a Muslim commits a crime it's terrorism?

obviously i find the speculation really lovely, otherwise i wouldn't have brought it up in the first place

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Calling this terrorism is as stupid as calling the guy who stabbed that french tourist a terrorist. And he did allegedly scream Allahu akbar.

Maybe the poor bus driver did get killed because the whitey didn't like the color of his skin, but unless he was trying to incite fear for some political purpose it's not terrorism. There's no point to the word any more if you just use it every time something hosed up happens.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Recoome posted:

ID'd him thru the blurry face

"Describe in single words only the good things that come to your mind about your mother."

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Bill Leak has gone anime?

i never thought i'd see the day when anime became part of the national dialogue on race but here we are

edit: does that mean Bills a weeb? Would explain a lot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The joke is so versatile, its like the loss.jpeg of Australian politics

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That seems to be a dead link

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I can see it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You must have a cached version, definitely deleted.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
We're talking about this right?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The joke is so versatile, its like the loss.jpeg of Australian politics

These image does not exist edits are getting obscure as gently caress

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
What the hell is that? The caricatures are almost impossible to identify and why are the in the outback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Left is Abbott, right is Turnbull.

I guess Abbott's hair is supposed to be like a monk's as a play on his name? Or maybe he's wearing a crown of thorns? Who the gently caress knows.

They're in the outback because Bill Leak's the thinnest skinned racist (and also incredibly lazy.)

• Locked thread