Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

So I said I would try to take some pictures of poo poo I have stored at my parents house....

You have to promise not to call hoarders, before they moved I had all the stuff arranged and hooked up in a custom oak cabinet the size of an upright piano that was plumbed with power and lighting. When they moved it was too big to get in their new house so it got donated and my stuff got stacked haphazardly. I wasn't living with them anymore and never really got the time to sell it off so it's quite a mess. I took pictures of what I could see there is probably twice as much that I couldn't see because it has more components stacked on it.

I bought quite a bit of it off a guy who was a Marantz tech in the 1970s and collected/fixed HiFi gear. Some of it came from a friend who ran a massive Chicago furniture company from the 1960s-1990s and had very nice taste.

Welp, here goes.

Some neat solid aluminum speakers the furniture guy gave me new in the box.

I have the missing one somewhere around here

And a third pair still sealed in the box.

Luxman turntable, I have the cassette deck, receiver and the remotes that run the whole system somewhere

Marantz 1180DC, Hitachi HMA7500, Marantz 2440 quad adapter because if you already owned a 2 channel amp why buy a new 4 channel quad amp when you could just add 2 more channels.

Hitachi HMA7500 power amp

Marantz 2440 quad adapter

2440 face plate

2440 box and packing sealed, the marantz stuff came from the original owner and he saved and bagged the packing for a few

? Marantz Box, can't see which component this was from, it's on the other side

Crazy High end Panasonic VHS player and a sony Turntable

Stacks of CED discs and reel to reel tapes

I bought the CEDS and a few different CED players for cheap at garage sales because I wanted to use the cover art in a theater room project that never happened. The reel to reels are from the 1990s and were used to play syndicated music programs at a local radio station. As such they are high quality tape full of 1970s adult contemporary(think time life collection singers and songwriters type stuff) Good Old Rock and roll (1960s era rock with some oldies) 1990s country (garth etc..) I got several hundred tapes all are in heavy boxes and have only been played once. Because they are 1990s era they are in great shape and not falling apart like most of the old reel tapes you find. You can listen to them or just use them as blank tapes as they are really great tape.

Marantz Imperial 5G speakers that I got at a garage sale for $5, one woofer didn't work but when i opened it up the wire had come loose and some fresh solder fixed it, they were missing their grilles so I bought that make a grille foam and made new ones

Marantz imperial 5G back

Realistic LAB-55 Turntable with $2 garage sale price tag, on top of some 1990s technics receiver IIRC

Thing under microscopes is a 1950s The Fisher Tube preamp in a wood case(holy gently caress I just looked this one up, it's a Fisher 400 CX Stereo Tube Preamp they sell for up to $2500), I also have it's wired remote and a spring reverb/echo accessories somewhere. Gold under Stetson box is AN HHScott tube tuner in wood cabinet, under that is a marantz 5 disc cd player, under that is a marantz 3200 preamp in wood cabinet, even lower in that rack behind the box is a Marantz 150 Oscilloscope tuner in wood cabinet and a Marantz 510m power amp in wood cabinet.

New never used Panasonic Laserdisc player, the guy i got it from bought it in the 1990s and when he moved said I could have it because he never got it to work, it was never plugged in, under that is a Sansui QRX 7001 Quad receiver, Under that behind the brown towel is a Sansui G-9000 receiver, it's on the floor because it weighs 60 pounds and actually has extra feet in the middle of the bottom to support it's weight. These things put out so much power the volume knob has a safety setting to keep you from turning it up past where you set it and blowing your speakers.

A few different mixers, Marantz 1152DC amp, thing under green is a tube amp I think, the stuff stacked in front is piles of components that I would need to dig through.

Luxman turntable, other random components? on top of Yamaha 12" speakers on top of 12" cerwin vega AT-12s, I also have a single AT-15 cabinet that has a massive subwoofer in it for a home cinema setup.

Sharp 6 disc 2 tape deck boombox!?!?!?!

Some weird Yamaha DSP? probably a garage sale pickup

Teac 3340 4 track reel to reel capable of 15ips studio master quality, sitting on top of OHM I speakers which were $1500 speakers in the 1970s and are still worth $1550 trade in value on new OHM speakers, 4 way with a built in subwoofer, really neat if you would like to see a better pic, http://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/i/#main

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Why don't you do your poor parents a favor and clean that mess up?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I'm saving up for a car...
http://www.nbc.com/amazing-stories/video/gather-ye-acorns/2909107

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't get it. But the dust on everything grosses me out. Clean your room.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYZ04mCGCo&t=150s

Edit: Serious answer is time. I live an hour away and while I'd like to sell 90% of it, it's a giant pain to move a huge lot of tube gear at once. Ebay is the best place but shipping some of the expensive/delicate/heavy gear is a nightmare. The free time I have had I have been trying to help my dad sell his baseball card collection which I prioritize because it's a shared activity.

That said I have been taking out a box of poo poo everytime I stop over. But aside from the HIFI stuff I have all kinds of other ebay fodder so it's not a simple operation.

Everything I grab ends up being worth selling on ebay and I get all ADD sidetracked. For example I found these old computer/video game books.

And guess what I found inside, cue 2 hours of looking for the game and box in a non efficient way and getting totally sidetracked.

See also the thing in the cloth bag in front of the reel to reel https://goo.gl/HRTlOV
Or that light in front of the speakers etc.. https://goo.gl/MpRvVy

The car reference is to the Gather Ye Acorns Amazing Stories episode I linked. In it a kid is told by a gnome or something that he should never clean out his room and he will be rich one day. Cue hoarding of junk that turns out to be valuable.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 29, 2016

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I was talking with coworker and mentioned in passing that I had been looking at vinyl players... He was like waaaait a sec, I have this thing stored away, you can have it! Well, the "thing" turned out to be soviet era (but made in Estonia!) monstrosity (weighs over 12 kg!), automatic turntable that can even seek tracks (check out that eye on extra arm). It was part of Estonia 010 HiFi set, preamp, amp, tuner etc.

I was surprised that it still worked, even the automatic stuff. But I could not get it to play through phono inputs on my amp without some horrible distortion. My only excuse is that I do not know anything about turntables and never actually have operated one before, I should have figured out what was wrong sooner. You see, his dad was into electronics and apparently worked on it some and built simple small preamp into the thing :downsgun:

So yeah, hooked it up to line inputs and it works nicely. Ordered new cartridge and next week I get some records to actually play on it (the ones I could get this weekend are scratched to hell and were basically stored in a dumpster).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Woah, that's pretty cool!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

my turn in the barrel posted:

So I said I would try to take some pictures of poo poo I have stored at my parents house....

This stuff is awesome. I especially like those OHM speakers. I didn't know top-speakers like that were a thing.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Stacks of CED discs and reel to reel tapes

I bought the CEDS and a few different CED players for cheap at garage sales because I wanted to use the cover art in a theater room project that never happened. The reel to reels are from the 1990s and were used to play syndicated music programs at a local radio station. As such they are high quality tape full of 1970s adult contemporary(think time life collection singers and songwriters type stuff) Good Old Rock and roll (1960s era rock with some oldies) 1990s country (garth etc..) I got several hundred tapes all are in heavy boxes and have only been played once. Because they are 1990s era they are in great shape and not falling apart like most of the old reel tapes you find. You can listen to them or just use them as blank tapes as they are really great tape.

I've got an SGT-250 and a couple CEDs. I find the technology fascinating, both technically and also as the last a/v system totally developed by a US company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kO5rlXNrk

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ugh whatever jeez posted:

I was talking with coworker and mentioned in passing that I had been looking at vinyl players... He was like waaaait a sec, I have this thing stored away, you can have it! Well, the "thing" turned out to be soviet era (but made in Estonia!) monstrosity (weighs over 12 kg!), automatic turntable that can even seek tracks (check out that eye on extra arm). It was part of Estonia 010 HiFi set, preamp, amp, tuner etc.

It looks like that's a rebadge of my old Sharp Optonica RP 7100. I loved that thing like a firstborn child, and sad it's no longer in my possession. You might find out more stuff about it looking up that model, though.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

It looks like that's a rebadge of my old Sharp Optonica RP 7100. I loved that thing like a firstborn child, and sad it's no longer in my possession. You might find out more stuff about it looking up that model, though.
Yeah, same with amps and I've read that CD player from that set used Philips innards, etc. Lots of blatant copying and rebadging going on with soviet stuff from that era.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Marantz 2440 quad adapter

I spy Capsela. Gimme!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

pzy posted:

I spy Capsela. Gimme!

That's just a NIB remote control accessory, you can see the TRU clearance sticker on the side. Somewhere I have a bin with all the parts from one of their large sets plus a few of the smaller sets that I got at a garage sale as a kid.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

pzy posted:

I spy Capsela. Gimme!

this is the dumbest derail but iq key has the license now and is still making it

http://iq-key.com/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, same with amps and I've read that CD player from that set used Philips innards, etc. Lots of blatant copying and rebadging going on with soviet stuff from that era.

Yeah, that's definitely a Sharp Optonica rebadge job, I recognize the butttons from the amp and tuner I had.

Good news is that Optonica gear was really high quality, so if they carried that along, that should be a really drat good turntable.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a Sharp Optonica rebadge job, I recognize the butttons from the amp and tuner I had.

Good news is that Optonica gear was really high quality, so if they carried that along, that should be a really drat good turntable.
Not 100% sure, but from what I managed to find from local forums is that record player was copied - ie, they literally went out, bought some Optonicas, and copied all of it. Why? Supposedly because order came from higher up that "we must have something like that too!" and no innovation or creativity was allowed for fear of it not working out and big bosses losing their precious jobs/status... :ussr: really

Well, anyway, that about sums up what I found out yesterday when I went digging on local forums :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

That Estonian Sharp-clone turntable is the bee's knees.

But I'm curious about that Yamaha amp: which model is it (it looks like one of their current-gen/former-gen ones) and how do you like it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It looks like an A-S500 (or 501), as far as I can see :)

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But I'm curious about that Yamaha amp: which model is it (it looks like one of their current-gen/former-gen ones) and how do you like it?
It's the often recommended, good bang for the buck A-S301.

I really like it! What made me choose it over some other similar cheap models were digital inputs (it has optical and coax) and A/B speakers. Both have been useful for me. For wireless connectivity I use Chromecast Audio that is hiding behind the amp so I didn't need some fancy thing with bluetooth.

It also looks kinda impressive in it's own ugly way, like solid block of metal :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KozmoNaut posted:

It looks like an A-S500 (or 501), as far as I can see :)

That's what I figured too.

It's the often recommended, good bang for the buck A-S301.

I really like it! What made me choose it over some other similar cheap models were digital inputs (it has optical and coax) and A/B speakers. Both have been useful for me. For wireless connectivity I use Chromecast Audio that is hiding behind the amp so I didn't need some fancy thing with bluetooth.

It also looks kinda impressive in it's own ugly way, like solid block of metal :)

Nice! I actually assumed it was one of its more expensive brethren, since the silver-face 301 seems to have been discontinued.

I also don't think it's ugly at all-at least not when you compare it to what Onkyo/Marantz/Denon/etc are producing in the 2-channel segment right now.

As much as I adore my CR-2040 + HPM-900s, they're also massive as gently caress, not particularly power-efficient by modern standards, and occasionally temperamental (and you'd be surprised at how often I'm annoyed by the little things like lack of remote support)- so I'm ultimately planning to build a main setup around something like a 701 or 801 down the road (or maybe I'll splurge on one of the fancy-pants ones with the gauges :allears:).

I think that Yamaha did a pretty good job of carrying and evolving their 1970s style with their post-2006 hi-fi stuff, for all that some of the added simplicity and starkness seem to be driven more by cost than aesthetics. I wonder how difficult/advisable it would be to fabricate a wooden/MDF+veneer cover for one of those....

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

:guinness:

I love free stuff

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

:guinness:

I love free stuff

I am jealous. Someone stole all my Pink Floyd records and I am slowly buying them back.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Is there a better source for replacement dust covers than just trawling ebay, etc for used ones? This is for an SL-Q2, unfortunately not compatible with SL-1200 covers.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Pretty good day for vintage audio!

Picked up a used Stanton STR8-80 with no dust cover for $30, looks to be in nice and working order, guess I have some testing in my future!

Speaking of which, I also picked up a rackmounted Roland S-760. Nothing but the unit and a power cable. Seems to have a cracked display too, not sure if it works. It does power on, but requires a specific floppy disk to boot... this should be fun!

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
One channel on my :ussr: turntable started to crap out randomly and after some troubleshooting I became convinced it's the DIY pre-amp PO built into the turntable. Since I have phono input on my amp anyway I can rip it out and just use that, right? I mean how hard can it be?

:pusheen:

Anyway, pre-amp turned out to be not DIY but УПЗ-15 module (little silver box under the motor in the middle) cannibalized from Radiotehnika U-101 amp, another fine soviet contraption.

Took it out and also replaced old cable with RCA sockets and added grounding wire. Don't wanna jinx it but so far so good!

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

And guess what I found inside, cue 2 hours of looking for the game and box in a non efficient way and getting totally sidetracked.

If you're looking to sell that, I'll buy it off of you.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

DarkSol posted:

If you're looking to sell that, I'll buy it off of you.

I have to find the Cart and the (folded)box back before I sell it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I won these on US eBay, and are getting my inlaws to ship them over here:

Vintage Tandberg speakers, and unfortunately not for keeping. Collectors here in Norway are crazy for them, so they are an investment to fund christmas presents and my vintage stereo mental illness.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you tell them the speakers are worth lots of money or are you sneakily saying "yeah, those are cool, I'll take them off your hands."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He's not conning his relatives, they're just helping send them over. The seller probably didn't want to ship internationally.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found back the RK-1 Wired remote for that Fisher Tube Preamp.

The preamp ran through the remote and shipped with a jumper plug

The remote was an extra $17.95 in 1960 money and allowed volume and balance adjustment from your easychair

I also found this High end subwoofer crossover

And this noise reduction box that used the High Com standard

Looks like this is missing the power button and is likely a parts donor.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 12, 2016

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Finally looking to build my listening lounge and I want to get a decent Turntable, amp and Speakers.

I'm hoping to get all of it from Craigslist/Kijiji if possible but I'm worried about treading into unknown waters and getting burned.

Would it be bad form to post regional links and get the thread to weigh in on which units I should buy? I'm wondering if the goon collective can help me pull out a diamond in the rough.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Where are you located?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

Where are you located?

Southern Ontario, Hamilton/Lower Greater Toronto Area

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

m.hache posted:

Finally looking to build my listening lounge and I want to get a decent Turntable, amp and Speakers.

I'm hoping to get all of it from Craigslist/Kijiji if possible but I'm worried about treading into unknown waters and getting burned.

Would it be bad form to post regional links and get the thread to weigh in on which units I should buy? I'm wondering if the goon collective can help me pull out a diamond in the rough.

I love poo poo like that so yeah, do it.

Like seriously, if there was a whole thread like that it's all i'd read.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

I love poo poo like that so yeah, do it.

Like seriously, if there was a whole thread like that it's all i'd read.

Well here's the most local listing available.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-hamilton/turntable/k0l80014

This one add appears to be very interesting:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/hamilton/vintage-realistic-and-dual-complete-stereo/1216089413?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If it seems worth it I may try to work him down to $200.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

m.hache posted:

Well here's the most local listing available.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-hamilton/turntable/k0l80014

This one add appears to be very interesting:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/hamilton/vintage-realistic-and-dual-complete-stereo/1216089413?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If it seems worth it I may try to work him down to $200.

Exchange rate is messing me up a little, but I agree that I wouldn't want to pay more than 200 for that Realistic set, but having a matched hi fi like that in nice condition can be a really cool part of a collection, even if it's not super collectable gear.

Do you own anything that you're going to be using in your new system (speakers, etc...)? And what's your budget?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Exchange rate is messing me up a little, but I agree that I wouldn't want to pay more than 200 for that Realistic set, but having a matched hi fi like that in nice condition can be a really cool part of a collection, even if it's not super collectable gear.

Do you own anything that you're going to be using in your new system (speakers, etc...)? And what's your budget?

I have nothing right now.

Part of the appeal is hunting things down to get a good deal. I'm still in the process of finishing my basement which will be the "listening lounge" so I'm not in any major rush.

I'd like to keep it around $200-$300 CAD if possible, but if acquisition is spread out over a month or two I may be able to eek out a little more cash if it's worth it. It's also an option to buy a setup and slowly upgrade pieces as I find better deals.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

m.hache posted:

I have nothing right now.

Part of the appeal is hunting things down to get a good deal. I'm still in the process of finishing my basement which will be the "listening lounge" so I'm not in any major rush.

I'd like to keep it around $200-$300 CAD if possible, but if acquisition is spread out over a month or two I may be able to eek out a little more cash if it's worth it. It's also an option to buy a setup and slowly upgrade pieces as I find better deals.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/hamilton/vintage-stereo-turntables-and-speakers/1216096394?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Jump on that.

Or there's a Marantz 2216 for $150 listed, and you could grab the Dual TT for $80. Might be cheapo speakers I can find.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/hamilton/vintage-stereo-turntables-and-speakers/1216096394?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Jump on that.

Or there's a Marantz 2216 for $150 listed, and you could grab the Dual TT for $80. Might be cheapo speakers I can find.

Messaging the guy now.

He mentions the Technics SL-23 Needs work. I'm trying to figure out what he means by that.