Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Furism posted:

I don't think "immersiveness" has anything to do with the camera angle.

Semantics aside, why are people floating the idea that a new Vampire RPG would ever be a diablo clone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pirate Radar posted:

That's also a spoiler for the movie Zardoz.

Goddamnit!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Krowley posted:

Semantics aside, why are people floating the idea that a new Vampire RPG would ever be a diablo clone?

Probably because the other V:tM game was one.

But yeah, Bloodlines was just massively better and more in tune with Storyteller mechanics than Redemption. The dialogue, VA and animation is top notch even today.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Transmetropolitan posted:

Probably because the other V:tM game was one.

But yeah, Bloodlines was just massively better and more in tune with Storyteller mechanics than Redemption. The dialogue, VA and animation is top notch even today.

Holy poo poo, how many drugs are you smoking and injecting at the moment? Hahaha, jesus.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

He's right

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Source, even in alpha, was able to get more out of its animation than Unreal or Unity ever has

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Drifter posted:

Holy poo poo, how many drugs are you smoking and injecting at the moment? Hahaha, jesus.

They are probably talking about facial animations, and it is pretty on point.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Most of the conversations in the game could have worked without sound or subtitles tbh

Contrast that with the latter Deus Exes or Mass Effect / Dragon Age, in which everyone uses the same idle loop or pick from male and female options

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 26, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

This is the only animation indelibly impressed into my memory from that game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No they're correct, the facial animations in Bloodlines is still way above what RPG games of today have.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Indeed I was talking about facial animation :v: considering that most major characters are extremely deceitful and it is one of the few games that come up to my head that almost everyone is out to lie, manipulate and cheat you, those expressions back in source even before half life 2 were loving astounding

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MiddleOne posted:

No they're correct, the facial animations in Bloodlines is still way above what RPG games of today have.

I mean they were good, especially for the time, but let's not be hyperbolic. Witcher 3's are just absolutely phenomenal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

But then you remember that Fallout 4 and Dragon Age are things and then you die inside.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Everyone's a secret synth or a tranquil respectively. :colbert:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean they were good, especially for the time, but let's not be hyperbolic. Witcher 3's are just absolutely phenomenal.

Stoic mutants are easy

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Geralt = Albino JC Denton - charm and good looks

God now I'm just thinking how much better Witcher 3 would have been with DX character models and VA

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Witcher is a special perfect exception for everything though. I'm not being sarcastic.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think Bloodlines beats out even W3 in its voice direction. They spent a lot of effort on that and it really shows.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I should probably give Bloodlines another playthrough. It's been a hell of a long time since I played it and talk of its voice acting and face animations is reminding me how little I actually remember about it. The only voice that's really coming to mind is that funny bail bond bounty hunter guy for who knows what reason.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Stoic mutants are easy

On the contrary, subtle facial animations are pretty hard to pull off, and they do so masterly in The Witcher 3. A ton of Geralt's interior life is immediately apparent thanks to the animations, no small feat!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Witcher 3 has the absolute best scene I have ever seen in a RPG. Isle of Mists.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Transmetropolitan posted:

Witcher 3 has the absolute best scene I have ever seen in a RPG. Isle of Mists.

I don't know, Geralt and Yen bangin' on a stuffed Unicorn was pretty baller, too.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Eagerly awaiting for the Fatebinder x Kyros romance scene

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

Eagerly awaiting for the Fatebinder x Kyros romance scene

*they start kissing*

"Oh, Kyros!"
"Yesss!"
"..."
"..."
"uhh...hey, Kyros. Umm, are you a-"
"What?"
"You know...where do I put-"
"...what?"
"...well, I mean, are you...Like, do I put- or..., you know, do you put-"
"C'mere. I've got an edict for you."

*screen fades to black*

The mystery remains.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Drifter posted:

*they start kissing*

"Oh, Kyros!"
"Yesss!"
"..."
"..."
"uhh...hey, Kyros. Umm, are you a-"
"What?"
"You know...where do I put-"
"...what?"
"...well, I mean, are you...Like, do I put- or..., you know, do you put-"
"C'mere. I've got an edict for you."

*screen fades to black*

The mystery remains.

I don't think it does. :pervert:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also there was a stream today (actually starts at 12:20 minutes)

Apparently it talks more about the player base system and some other poo poo.

e: Barik is voiced by Kana :lol: it doesn't fit him at all

frajaq fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 27, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ZearothK posted:

Goddamnit!

Wizard of Oz

It's unironically a good movie, go watch it.

e: The stream video above won't play for me at all, anybody else ever have this issue with Twitch? Paradox hasn't put the video on Youtube yet.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I see green office plants and red fire wooooo

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pirate Radar posted:

Wizard of Oz

It's unironically a good movie, go watch it.

Goddamnit. [2]

You know, I might as well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I see green office plants and red fire wooooo
I was worried we might be subjected to green or even blue water so I was infinitely relieved to see that we'll be visiting the STONE sea, crisis averted

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I only skimmed that stream, but it does confirm that you can choose to rebel against Kyros, not just as a short-term solution to the Vendrim's Well Edict in the first Act but throughout the game, as it mentions assembling your own army to counter Kyros drawn from the various rebellions and insurrections across the Tiers.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Dolash posted:

I only skimmed that stream, but it does confirm that you can choose to rebel against Kyros, not just as a short-term solution to the Vendrim's Well Edict in the first Act but throughout the game, as it mentions assembling your own army to counter Kyros drawn from the various rebellions and insurrections across the Tiers.

Hopefully we can rebel, gather a mega army together and then when Kyros shows up hand over power, betraying our new army.

Edit: or deliberately waste their army away with bad plays before eventually conspiring to lead them into a trap.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Law is Absolute

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Masonity posted:

Hopefully we can rebel, gather a mega army together and then when Kyros shows up hand over power, betraying our new army.

Same here- if I don't become the Archon of Deception by game's end I will be very, very annoyed.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm betting the rebellion will end in total disaster, but hey, you tried.

Also lmfao at everything to do with Kills-In-Shadow. It'd be a miracle if she turned out to be good, because everything in that dev diary about her was the lamest loving thing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The short story about her was really bad too, but if Inquisition taught me anything, it's that you can judge companion quality in RPGs from prerelease materials.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just can't imagine playing pro scarlet crusade lol chaotic evil rape murser. In fact I'll have a hard time playing evil at all. But Im weirdly interested in the game anyway.

Only thing that scares me away is the horrible kills in shadow back story and the increasingly "this is going to lean on rape and abuse Songbird character"

If Kyros is mainly a law and order type evil then you can at least play it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, that's the way I figure it, which makes me wonder how well Verse is going to fit with how I'll play my character. The ends may justify the means, but pointless cruelty is just so... gauche.

Eb looks interesting, but I wonder if it'll even be possible to recruit her if you're not rebelling. Maybe if I just crank the talky skills to 11 and pick all the right dialogue.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah it's odd isn't it. Almost every bit of promo material talks about how shittily handled evil playthroughs in other games are, and how they're all essentially dumb/chaotic evil. But one of the major factions you can align with seem to be dumb/chaotic evil. I don't think I'll ever bother with a Scarlet Chorus playthrough, if they're written as they seem to be. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i haven't been reading any of the promotional materials, what's this about rape? because that gets an immediate stink-eye from me

• Locked thread