Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So foods provide stat-boosts? Very temporary stat-boosts, I assume? Is that all this crafting class is good for? Kind of an alchemy skill like in Elder Scrolls games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Food is pretty much all Culinarian makes, yeah. They're 30 minute buffs, although that can be extended by certain means. Having decent food is pretty much mandatory in high-end raiding and crafting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Schwartzcough posted:

So foods provide stat-boosts? Very temporary stat-boosts, I assume? Is that all this crafting class is good for? Kind of an alchemy skill like in Elder Scrolls games?

Food can basically give 12% damage boosts or 12% more health, which is huge.

Also, general advice for new players is to always eat food because literally any food gives 3% EXP bonus.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They also make some fishing bait, but yeah, food is basically it. Culinarian is by far the most narrow-focused of the crafters, but everybody wants the food they make, including other crafters and gatherers. Also, all food gives a +3% experience buff, which is nice.

There are other really good reasons to level culinarian, but that won't be for quite a while yet.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God help me my brain automatically adds sound effects to those gifs.

You absolutely want to level CUL first. The ingredients are fairly cheap, you get food which boosts the EXP you get, if you're careful you can maneuver around the really obnoxious recipes to level your stuff and you get very, very useful skills early on. Like if you don't have these skills, your crafting life will suck.

Annoyingly you can start crafting very early on, but the poo poo thing is that the things which make crafting easy to level don't unlock until much later.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 23, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I actually had a bit with a finished meal I was supposed to add in the post, so I've fixed that. It's basically as everyone else says, but I wanted to add that Alchemist is also its own thing that adds far more temporary buffs (15 second ones) that are very potent (primary attribute buffs instead of secondary stats like accuracy and critical hit). Culinarian and Alchemist are both really good, despite how small they may sound.

I'll even go as far as to say that they're pretty mandatory in the top content of the game because of just how much of a difference they can make.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
Theres one thing Crash didn't mention about the Basic Touch, and Quality.
While leveling, it is advisable to always add as much Quality to the craft as possible. The higher the Quality, the more bonus exp is awarded when the craft is finished, even if you don't create an HQ version of the craft. If you go from 0 to max Quality, you get an additional 150% exp for that craft.
Also note, bonus Quality from using HQ materials does not provide any bonus exp. The bonus exp is only rewarded for Quality that the player personally added via Touch abilities.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

InwardChaos posted:

While leveling, it is advisable to always add as much Quality to the craft as possible.
Eh, I think this depends on what the limiting factor is. If you have a whole bunch of the material, you can just queue up a whole bunch of items in Quick Synthesis, alt-tab away for a few minutes, and then come back at the end/when your inventory fills up (so it's preferable, all else being equal, to craft intermediate products which stack rather than gear which doesn't; Culinarian doesn't have this problem since food always stacks). Adding quality takes more time per item crafted, since you have to actually hit Basic Touch, etc. and wait for cooldown, and even if the bonus xp is enough to win in terms of xp/second despite that you still have to be babysitting every step of the process unlike with Quick Synthesis.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

For the low crafts, I just used to write a macro and alt+tabbed. The only catch was having to come back and start the next one, but you don't need to pay it very much attention. It's not too bad and I'd say the exp return at least felt like it was worth it.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

jalapeno_dude posted:

Eh, I think this depends on what the limiting factor is. If you have a whole bunch of the material, you can just queue up a whole bunch of items in Quick Synthesis, alt-tab away for a few minutes, and then come back at the end/when your inventory fills up (so it's preferable, all else being equal, to craft intermediate products which stack rather than gear which doesn't; Culinarian doesn't have this problem since food always stacks). Adding quality takes more time per item crafted, since you have to actually hit Basic Touch, etc. and wait for cooldown, and even if the bonus xp is enough to win in terms of xp/second despite that you still have to be babysitting every step of the process unlike with Quick Synthesis.

I thought it was pretty useful to set up in-game macros that did a static crafting "rotation" from more or less start to finish. The crafting is good enough that a static approach will do pretty badly compared to just doing it yourself, especially for any complicated craft, and it's overall a lot slower than quick synthesis. Still, just automating it so you lead with a few touches can net a decent HQ percentage and a lot more XP per material overall. It was a nice compromise between "lazily doable while watching the telly" and "not throwing my limited rubbish casual gil supply into the ocean" for me when I played.

E: Hey, great, good or possibly mediocre minds think alike!

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 24, 2016

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

Quick Synthesis severely cuts down on the amount of XP earned per craft, and has an extremely low chance of HQ. I recommend not using it unless you're in a panicked rush and have less than five minutes to fill out the Crafting challenge log for the week. Even a quick four-step macro that does nothing but the basic synthesis is more efficient.

There are three entries for crafting in the Challenge Log, each of which earns a significant chunk of XP for the crafting class you are when you finish it:
  • Craft 30 items of any level of difficulty and quality
  • Craft 10 items with a High Quality result
  • Meld 5 materia onto things

The third one can't be done yet until we learn how to do it, and the second is not currently realistic to shoot for, but will get significantly easier as we progress. The amount of XP earned for each of those depends on the current level of the class that earns the reward. I don't have the exact formula at hand, but it's comparable to the reward from doing a Roulette as a combat class.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea how I missed this for so long.

Needs more crafting, though.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

Elentor posted:

I have no idea how I missed this for so long.

Needs more crafting, though.

As someone who admires your FF7 LP, welcome aboard. I'm sure crafting will come up a bit more in the future.

Speaking of, if nobody else has anything, I might put in a slot for Tuesdays for my posts. I will likely be covering the Gathering class first though, so I might hold off from posting until Crash has pitched something towards it (or I could explain Miner Gathering if Crash wishes to trust me with the introduction to Gathering in general - outside of Fishing, at least). I can put something up for Alchemist then a later week. Main reason for this is because of the order I started the questlines. Because I'm awkward like that.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm actually due to finish the gathering update tonight or tomorrow. I was hoping to have it sooner but things came up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kaosdrachen posted:

Quick Synthesis severely cuts down on the amount of XP earned per craft

I'm pretty certain this isn't true anymore. I know it was when ARR first came out, but I think they changed it in a later patch so that quick synth gave you the same XP as a 0% quality craft. Although it's been over a year since I had any crafter under the level cap, so I could be completely wrong.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It probably still gives you bonus exp if your quick synth comes out as HQ, but that's pretty rare.

Quick Synth is definitely murder on your gear durability though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah, the bonus XP is based on the quality bar regardless of whether it comes out HQ or not. Getting a lucky 1% HQ item won't give you any bonus XP.

And durability loss is based on experience, so it's the same amount of loss per synth.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty certain this isn't true anymore. I know it was when ARR first came out, but I think they changed it in a later patch so that quick synth gave you the same XP as a 0% quality craft. Although it's been over a year since I had any crafter under the level cap, so I could be completely wrong.

Yeah, I just leveled all of the crafting classes to 15 so can confirm this is how it works. Quick Synthesis also still gives you the 50% bonus if you use a Manual from a Grand Company. Hadn't thought about using macros, though; I have the gut feeling that it's still slower in terms of XP/second unless you're making things you can get to HQ in only a few touches, which won't be the case if you're leveling aggressively by making the highest-level thing you can. (Maybe it's actually faster to level by making high-quality lower-level gear in this way, though.) But just let my sub lapse (and haven't gone beyond 15 in a crafting class) so can't check to math it out.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 24, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I mostly only use quick synth when I'm sure I'll need a lot of whatever the result is - usually this means stuff like ingots or lumber, which are ingredients in the majority of Blacksmith and Carpenter recipes.

Or sometimes when the result's quality matters less - for example, orange juice, which has the same bonuses regardless of quality.

RikkidoSeph
Jul 31, 2014

Can't believe I missed the voting by almost a week I was sure I posted oh well never mind, Looking forward to Aggro's crafting adventure Culinarian is the only crafting class I haven't done any of the story of, though I have it at 34 for other things that we'll find out about later so I'm looking forward to it.

RikkidoSeph fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 26, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter XXIX: Aggro Gathers Her Thoughts
Aggro's been invited to the join the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, an organisation intending to save the realm of Eorzea, but there's still other avenues that she's not yet explored. Last time, she tried being a Chef. This time, she's going to try a couple of different things.

Click to play: I Am the Sea

We've been to Fisherman's Bottom before, where the Fishers' Guild is located. It's the pier Aggro used to travel to Aleport in western La Noscea. N'nmulika is the receptionist, and likes to make a lot of fishing puns.

The guild serves as a supplier for... well... fish. That's not all they do, though, as N'nmulika explains. They're pretty busy. When Aggro accepts both the offer to join the guild and to start the quest, N'nmulika informs Aggro that she may have a problem.

But unfortuitously, unfortunately, and somewhat ironically, our nefarious netmaster is out fishing at the moment. This moment and every moment, that is. So Sisipu tends to tend to tasks that require tending to. Such as deciding whether you'll sink or swim with our guild.

Please, stop that. Stop what you're doing. Anyway, as will be the standard of unlocking new classes, Aggro must now go and speak to the guildmaster Sisipu.

That includes making sure our new fish aren't shellfish idiots or potential anemones.

Sadly, there isn't any official art for Sisipu despite her being a recurring character for the next 10 fishers' guild quests.

...You've passed the first test by not laughing at that awful joke. Now you only need the right answer to this question: are you prepared to fish like you've never fished before?

I'm not going to do this with all of them, but I'll say no first again.

While we're not joining the guild, I remembered to check something. There's a bit of a deal made about how the guildmaster isn't ever around. But a quick step outside...

... and oh. Okay. It looks like he's actually just chilling right outside the front door. He's not even fishing! (I may or may not have also returned just for that bit of pop-up dialogue.)

Anyway, Aggro joins up with the Fishers' Guild and becomes a fisher too. Soon she'll be supplying for her own meals!

Like with the crafting classes, gatherers also use different stats. The MP gauge is now the GP gauge (for 'Gathering Points'), and they don't really use primary attributes though those will come up again later. For now, the only main stat to focus on is Gathering, which increases the chance of obtaining items. It's very self-explanatory. Aggro is given some Lugworms alongside her new rod.

Also, yes. You can beat up monsters with your fishing rod too. I actually tried a FATE like that way back at launch and was disappointed to see a lack of a reward. That could have been fun yet less sensible.

Talking to Sisipu will initiate the next quest, which will serve as the tutorial for the class.

You'll find schools of anchovies swimming around outside in Galodion Bay, so you can catch your meager supper without even walking ten yalms. Simply bait a hook with some of those lugworms I gave you, dip it in the water, and the fish will practically catch themselves.

Fishers actually start off with five abilities, unlike most other classes that start with one. One of the actions is to quit fishing, so we don't really care about that.

Our first important task is to use the Bait ability, which allows Aggro to select what bait she wants to use. Fishers will have to utilize a wide range of bait in order to attract different fish.

The bait also each have their own restrictions on the water they can be used on. Lugworm can only be used in the ocean, which is good because that's what's surrounding Limsa Lominsa.

Using Bait will open a separate window to allow Aggro to select the specific one she wants to use. It's pretty straight forward.

You can also use it to check what bait you are currently using.

Next is Cast. It casts your fishing rod.

Like so.

Fisher also has its own unique {/sit} emote which is pretty cool and chill. Fisher is a really relaxing job and can actually be rather cathartic. I feel like that might be a strange thing to say about virtual fishing but there you go.

Unlike most things in this game, Fisher doesn't really rely on the UI for feedback, so you have to pay attention to audio and visual cues. You'll be able to hear the rod creek, and see it dip as well. That's your sign to use...

... Hook! Another action that does exactly what it says.

This was a really hard animation to capture without the gif looking like poo poo. Anyway, if you're successful then you'll obtain the new fish. The Gathering stat actually plays a role here too, since you can actually still fail to catch the fish. What fish you get is also RNG, though higher level bait and gathering can mitigate obtaining the rarer fish.

Aggro managed to capture a Merlthor Goby, which is sadly not what she's after. Still, it gives me a chance to take a look at some of the fishing related menus. First up is the Fishing Log, which allows you to look at the different fishing locations. The lower decks of Limsa Lominsa only have the one location, which encompasses the entire map. There's a lot of fish Aggro has yet to find, and lots of locations to add to the fishing log. They're actually unavailable until you fish there for the first time.

There's also a Records menu that will show you all of the largest fish that you've caught. Aggro managed to snag a 3.7im Goby, which is about 3.7 ilm or 3.7 average hyur thumbs (if I remember correctly). I hope that helps.

There's also the Fish Guide, which provides a little bit more background on the fish. It's kind of a really neat thing, if I'm being honest! There's sometimes some really interesting snippets of lore about the world found in here too. This game has a lot of small details and I will forever love it for that.

Occasionally you'll find garbage items too, though a high leveled Culinarian could still do something with these.

After about five minutes (in Earth time, anyway), Aggro manages to capture all five Lominsan Anchovies that she requires. I'll share the fish descriptions in the bonus area, simply because it's a rad little thing. Let's go speak to Sisipu again and collect our reward.

I think Sisipu has a problem. Perhaps suddenly being thrusted into a faux guildmaster position broke her? She's so into ... whatever she's doing that she doesn't notice the real guildmaster stroll in. Just like Sisipu, I don't realise that the guildmaster has walked in. How embarrassing!

A guildmaster's got to get after the guppies - dividing up the daily drudgery, picking out a proper potable, and some such support and service.

And who gets after the guildmaster? We have books to balance, you know - books you should be balancing!

I did my best to balance the book,s but the bilge keel bent the bow back, bouncing the whole batch off the boat!

That's not what - You know it was just an expression!

I imagine that Aggro is probably feeling very uncomfortable and awkward right now. I thought fishing was supposed to be chill? Sisipu then realises that Aggro is still standing there, watching and listening, and then turns to her.

Don't let that go to your head, of course. Any beginner can snag some anchovies, but you'll need to experiment with different lures and explore new waters if you want to catch the big ones. Fundamentals are fine, but the fun is fishing for new finds. Like my uncle always said, "Fishing's like philanderin' - ye never know what ye'll catch!"

And that's Aggro finished! As is the way with these class quests, the next one will not be available until she's reached level 5. At this point, we've been introduced to crafting and gathering in this game. They're actually a large part of it (however optional they are) and are complete with their own end-game. They're really fleshed out well, with the occasional hiccup here and there.

That being said, we're not done yet. You see, Fisher is a bit of an oddball gathering class. Miner and Botanist function similarly, so we'll be checking one of them out too. The thread voted for Botanist, so I guess that means Aggro is traveling to Gridania next. Time to head back to the Shire! This will be a short little venture.

Click to play: Dance of the Fireflies

Ah... but I suspect you're already confused, not being forestborn. Let me put it in a way that your kind would understand.

We know the story by now, so let's just jump straight to the background of the guild. I'll let receptionist Leonceault tell it all this time. It's actually a huge part of Gridanian culture, so it's actually reasonably important lore. I'll split it up into slightly more digestible chunks since it's a bit of an info dump.

The Twelveswood doesn't belong to man, but almighty beings known as elementals. It is by their leave that we Gridanians dwell here in the forest, and it is by their leave that we receive of its bounty.

Ever since mankind settled in the Twelveswood, it has been necessary for us to obtain the elementals' permission prior to taking aught from their domain. Historically, this was a rather involved process in that only a precious few could actually commune with them - specifically, those conjurers blessed with the ability to hear the elementals, aptly known as Hearers.

In order to relay the elementals' will to the botanists in a more timely manner, a new organization was formed with a Hearer as its mouth and ears. This organization would eventually evolve to become the Botanists' Guild. Yet this is no longer our organization's sole concern. We also seek to promulgate correct harvesting practices - that is, practices which honor the will of the elementals.

So if you wondered why Gridanians tend to have a stick stuck far up their rear end, now you know why. If they make the slightest mistake that upsets the forest's countless Elementals, then they might find themselves blasted off the surface of Eorzea. It's happened before, and the Black Shroud has a number of ruins of what remains of the shelter settlement that the pre-Gridanian settlers once used to hide from the fickle spirits. Those are actually the Gelmorran ruins that include the Tam-Tara Deepcroft in their number.

You will find the guildmaster just outside this building. Seek her out and impress upon her your desire to become a botanist.

Fufucha is exactly where the receptionist said she'd be, but she has some final words for Aggro before enrolling her in the guild.

But even as nature holds us in her loving embrace, providing for our every need, she is at heart an unsentimental creature. One that will take life just as readily as she gives it. Being a botanist means coming face-to-face with this uncomfortable truth on a regular basis.

Hell yeah, let's get ready to garden!

Botanists wield hatchets as their primary tool, but FFXI Dark Knight apologists will be disappointed to hear that the Scythe is actually a Botanist tool in this game. Specifically, scythes are secondary tools for Botanists.

Unlocking either Botanist or Miner also grants access to the Gathering Log. I told you that Fisher is kind of an odd ball. There's two categories for each gathering class, but the second for each requires they have their secondary tool equipped. That's getting ahead of ourselves though, since that won't be until level 11. Until then, we have to make do with Logging.

Fufucha's first task is to simply gather ten pots worth latex. According to the gathering log, that can be found in Treespeak and the Jadeite Thick. Since the Botanists' Guild is located in Old Gridania, it's actually closer to Treespeak in north Shroud, so Aggro will head there.

We'll need to use the only ability available to Aggro to find it. Triangulate makes Botanist gathering nodes visible to the player. For now, it'll need to be activated each time Aggro swaps to Botanist, but leveling up once will make it automatically activate.

Mature Trees are only visible with Triangulate. You'll also notice that it's level 5. Each gathering node actually only has a level that's a multiple of 5. It means that Aggro will only be able to gather the same pool of resources until she can reach the next tier. Let's interact with this.

Interacting with the Mature Tree will open up a new Logging window. For what it's worth, Miners get the Mining window. This screen will display all the available items from that particular node. For the most part, these will be consistent within each area and tier, but higher level nodes have a bit of RNG with some of the rarer drops.

You should notice that Latex has a 95% chance of being obtained. Despite Aggro's gathering stat, the chance of acquiring it is capped depending on her level. This excludes buff abilities that come in later. There's also an HQ chance below the main gathering chance, but that relies on the Perception stat which Aggro currently has none of. Incidentally, Fishing also uses Perception to increase the chance that a fish will be HQ.

Gathering isn't very complex, and is a nice and easy way to be a little productive in the game. For Botanists and Miners, it's all about just selecting the item you want and swinging that heavy tool around. Though bare in mind that there's actually more legwork.

You see, each node has a health bar. You can only get four gathering attempts in before you need to respect the land and find resources elsewhere. There are some exceptions in higher level nodes that can give you more than four attempts, but that's way later. Getting the 10 pots of Latex requires two and a half nodes, and that's excluding any failed attempts to gather them (though admittedly, the chance of failing is slim).

Well, it looks like we're done here. Back to the guild we go! Cue the usual item inspection scene.

Latex is easy to find and equally easy to harvest. As such, collecting the stuff is an ideal task for young botanists who are learning their way around a hatchet. Yet know that being able to swing said tool does not make you a botanist. You must also possess the knowledge to locate the resources you seek.

Fufucha gives Aggro the usual send off for the crafting and gathering quests. They expect her to go out there and use what she's learned to gain more experience before coming back for another lesson. With that, we're done here, and so is Aggro's tenure as a gatherer. It's been put off long enough, but it's time to go and find the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. Until next time!

Fisher Footage.

Botanist Footage.

Gathering in 1.0 was actually a fairly different and obnoxious beast. Each of the classes required a minigame I'm not going to get into here. Fortunately, those were stripped back to help make gathering a little less of a chore. Though it can still sometimes be a chore when you're after hundreds of the same item. I'll talk about them another time, but I think there's enough to digest here for the moment.

I promised fish lore and I will deliver!

The Qiqirn are another beast tribe that we've met once or twice, but not intimately. They don't really get as much attention as beast tribes like the Amalj'aa though.

You know, I'm not really a huge fan of Shrimp. I like the flavour, but biting into them used to always disturb the hell out of me for some reason. Being freaked by shrimp really gets in the way of enjoying a lot of good seafood dishes.

A single yalm is worth 3 fulm! They can grow to some hell of an impressive size.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 26, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

that "fishin's like philadrin'" line is one of the best in the game :allears:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

That wasn't Sisipu saying weird things there, that was the guildmaster's first words to us (outside of when you talked to him), as you can tell by the text box saying "???" instead of, well, "Sisipu"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fishing is a pretty chill activity.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Quarrying doesn't seem very botanist-like or an activity that would use a hatchet.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ah yes, BTN and FSH. I haven't completed all the FSH quests yet. There's a set at level 50 off the main FSH storypath that requires particularly rare fish. See, there's more to finding fish than just being in the right location. Time of day, weather, and even previous weather can all factor in. The fish needed for that quest require a certain combination of weather for each one, and other things that Crash hasn't gotten yet.

Granted, some of those parts have gotten a lot easier with the new Skywatcher NPCs, and even the stuff you get post-50. It mostly still just comes down to a matter of sitting around hoping for the right window. Then hoping for RNGeesus to be in your favor.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

Like my uncle always said, "Fishing's like philanderin' - ye never know what ye'll catch!"

Well, most of the time, it's crabs.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

That wasn't Sisipu saying weird things there, that was the guildmaster's first words to us (outside of when you talked to him), as you can tell by the text box saying "???" instead of, well, "Sisipu"

Yeah, you're right! Thanks for pointing that out.

e: Fixed the Quarrying mistake as well.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 26, 2016

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

AweStriker posted:

Quarrying doesn't seem very botanist-like or an activity that would use a hatchet.

Maybe he picked up a hammer-axe when we weren't looking and decided to use the blunt side on a few trees. Brutal. :black101:

All seriousness, I think that is a genuine error. Botanists do not go quarrying, that's a Miner thing. Speaking of, my Miner update might get delayed some. Have had no time to work on it today and tomorrow I'm expected to do some heavy lifting and moving, so it might be a while before I get around to it.

Edit: So as it turns out, the shifting things around didn't take anywhere near as long as I was expecting (basically someone making mountains out of molehills) so I might be able to get the post out sometime later on. I didn't want to make a new post about it - last thing anyone needs is a post discussion on our daily lives behind the scenes.

TiamosLoren fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 27, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That's a shame to hear. I'm looking forward to your Miner LP and there's some cool stuff at the end of it. Good luck with the move!

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013
As it turns out, life decided to cut me a break, so I managed to get this done. So here goes...!

Mining Episode 01: Rocky Starts

So while exploring/cleaning up in Copperbell Mines, a thought crossed my mind: "What if I could make something of worth out of this stuff?" There was also a thread vote for what Crash did, but that's another thing. So today, we're going to explore what it's like to be a Miner in Eorzea.

Of course, knowing nothing about mining, it's a good idea to consult with the experts in the field before trying to get in on that action. So we have to start up this quest to get us going on the path of collecting ores and stuff.

"With pickaxe and sledgehammer, we miners work rock and earth that they might yield us ores, fossils, precious stones, and more. If you have a mind to join our ranks, you will be pleased to know that we are currently recruiting. Great riches await those with strong backs and keen eyes!"

As per the usual, you get this option to say yes/no. If you did say no:

"Oh. I take it the prospect of striking it rich does not appeal. Well, to each his own, I suppose. Should you undergo a change of heart, know that I will be here."

Of course, the canon answer should be obvious. Also, she goes over the founding of the guild for us when we do this, as with the others. Scroll a little downward to the next large image if the text dump does nothing for you.

"A decision you will not regret. You have just taken your first step toward striking it rich! To look at the lands around Ul'dah, one would be forgiven for thinking the region barren of opportunity, but beneath the surface, the scene could not be more different. There lie veins of copper, silver and gold beyond measure! For as long as he has dwelt in Thanalan, man has availed himself of these vast deposits, giving rise to a thriving mining trade, which forms the foundation of our nation's prosperity."

What about Lalafells? :colbert:

"Of course, the mining trade as it is today owes much to an event which took place some century and a half ago - namely, the Mad Mythril Rush. Never before had the sultanate seen such an influx of migrants. Endless throngs came from lands near and far, spurred on by the dream of discovering the mother lode. Alas, a harsh reality awaited them. You see, the vast majority of these poor souls were miners in name alone, and they possessed neither the proper equipment nor the training to realize their dreams. To make matters worse, the mining concerns, who in those days held absolute power, did not scruple to exploit them."

To relate this to the real world, mining incidents used to be a major problem in the past, even just in my country. There used to be a lot of people working in the coal mines in Welsh collierys, where the people profiteering from their employees' hard work and labour underground didn't have any extensive checks regarding health and safety concerns, with poor supplies of water in case of incidents and lack of maintenance all becoming attributed to what was the worst mining incident in the UK. With the influx of workers, it's possible that the entire industry was strained to breaking point by the numbers, thus the problem developing of corners being cut, which also led to an act being put in place and enforced for this incident.

"Presented with a glut of unskilled labor, they proceeded to fill every tunnel to bursting, and atrocious working conditions soon became the norm. Miners were paid a pittance for backbreaking labor, and saw naught of the riches they unearthed. Pushed to breaking point, the workers banded together to form the Miners' Guild, with the aim of improving conditions while protecting the integrity of the trade. Since then, we have sought to educate folk in correct mining practices, both to prevent accidents and to curb the impact that our trade has upon the environment."

So basically, the Miners' Guild is a trade union. Likewise, the real-world equivalent also improved vastly over time. Of course, there have been incidents even as close as 2011, but with standards and practices shifting and the appeal of the mining industry in a steep decline since the shift to more greener energies, while those working in the mining industry do dwindle, the rate of incidents has vastly decreased and conditions for those who do work in those industries have improved tremendously.

"I trust you now have a better understanding of what we do. All that is left is to commit your name to our roll. When you are ready to do so, pray speak with me again. I shall guide you through the enrollment procedure."

After speaking with her again, she then presents us with this option to start the quest. If you decline:

"Oh. Are you quite certain? I felt sure that you were destined to make the next big find... I pictured you grinning next to a lump of gold the size of your head. 'Tis truly a shame, but if you still have your doubts, there is no help for it. Should you be struck by a sudden desire to amass untold wealth, I shall be here to help."

My ego is not that big! Ugh. Let's just accept this and get it over with.

"Music to my ears! Aye, the kind made when one's pickaxe strikes gold! You must introduce yourself to Guildmaster Adalberta right away. Her approval is required if you are to be formally admitted to our ranks. In case you're unaware, Adalberta is perhaps the most accomplished of those miners who still swing a pickaxe."

Oh, you think you're being punny?! Well...either way, she directs us towards seeing the Guildmaster, so let's go do that...

At least, after we look around to see who the heck we're working with. And given how the Roegadyn takes a swig from his bottle right after I take this snapshot, I think it's safe to say he lost bitterly. Lightweights.

There's also this guy, Crooked Haft. If you're doing the quest runs around Ul'dah, you'll remember this guy as the one who's a little annoyed that some no-name upstart wants a wealth of garnets stuck onto his headgear, to the point of proclaiming that if the dumb Lalafell dies, "at least he'll leave a pretty corpse." Luckily, we don't have to deal with him right now, just the lady to his left.

"I take it you wish to become a miner. Well, our doors are open to all who aren't afraid to work hard and get dirty. Thanks to recent advances in refining techniques, it's now possible to smelt even low-purity ores. I mention this because it's allowed us to reopen a number of mines which were long thought exhausted, prompting trade to flourish. Truth be told, with business as it is at the moment, we can't take on enough new miners. And few folk make better miners than adventurers, you being a hardy lot."

This would also go a long way to explain why the Copperbell Mines were even under consideration for being reopened. With these advances, even a place like that, long considered to be deprived of any rich veins, were once again a viable resource for the craftspeople of Ul'dah. Of course, this also led to them digging too deeply, thus prompting us to dredge through it to put the former slaves down. It would also explain why they need hardy folk, too...

"What's more, you're well traveled, which serves to expand the guild's sphere of activity. Oh, but I'm not suggesting you join solely for our benefit. For your part, you'll acquire skills that will prove to your profit - a mutually beneficial arrangement, I trust you'll agree. So what say you? You will join us, yes?"

"Do you want the comedy option, or the progressive option?" If you do go the comedy route, she recoils, stating:

"This is...unexpected. You have so much to gain and nothing to lose. Won't you reconsider?"

I honestly think these things are to prevent button-mashing people just steamrolling through dialogue, since no is the default. But we're no button-mashers, so we actually say Yes.

"Then I bid you welcome to the Miners' Guild! May your toils never go unrewarded! Now then, here's a pickaxe to get you started. It's not the newest, but it should serve a novice well enough. Go on and take it up - see how it feels in your hands. Speak to me again when you're ready, and I'll assign you a little task to help you get into the swing of things."

As with all the other classes, the one you're active with is determined by the main hand equipment you have at the time. At this stage, I have three classes available to me (those that are darkened I can't even equip the starting weapon for, just in case it hasn't been highlighted previously). So while I can't go foraging for fish or branches, I can go around swinging a pickaxe about like a bad episode of Minecraft.

And this is the tool that you begin with. As Adalberta said, it's not the newest but it works for a novice, and it'll emphasise the most important aspect of a beginner miner: Gathering. Like with all the Disciple of the Land classes, Gathering is important in determining the success rate of collecting from a node, be it a fishing one, a tree or a rock formation. The higher the Gathering, the higher the success rate (up to 100%, obviously).

With pickaxe equipped, we're now ready to begin.

So this is a simple tutorial in how mining works. In return, we get a gathering chestpiece, which also helps in the early gathering at the very least. We also get a small amount of gil as well, which, at this point, meh.

"Now that you're suitably equipped, your training can commence! A miner learns his craft best in the wilderness, with pickaxe in hand. To begin, let's see how you fare with good old copper ore. Bring me, say...ten chunks. There are deposits of the stuff throughout Thanalan. I doubt you'll have to go very far outside the city. Seek out promising locations outside the Gate of the Sultana and the Gate of Nald, and swing away! The motion may feel awkward at first, but in time it'll become second nature."

If I were to have any issue at this point, it is that it essentially instructs you to use Prospect (the Miner's equivalent to Triangulate) to have access to the nodes. However, once you reach level 2 (which you will with ease during this quest), having Prospect on your hotbar becomes pointless: You never have a reason to turn it off and you never need to turn it on manually after levelling once because you get a trait that turns it on automatically. I guess thematically it makes sense, but otherwise...why?

So much like when Crash and Agro had to go around looking for mature trees as a Botanist, a Miner will be looking for mineral deposits like this one (literally outside the Gate of Nald, like Adalberta said). Aside from the different objects available (including different shards to the Botanist), this operates in a similar manner. This is also the reason why the Fisher is considered the oddball of the gathering trio: You don't get to pick what you want as a Fisher, you just have to hope to get the right catch.

Although, fun fact: I had no idea you could /sit while you were fishing to get a seat until Crash posted that, I legitimately thought you would use the secondary tool slot for a seat for nearly a year and never worked it out since. I started playing this in February 2014.

And this is the swinging motion of the Miner, for the sake of anyone interested. And much like the Botanist, each deposit has a health bar of it's own: Once it's depleted, you have to go to another node. One thing that should be noted here is that there is a rotation of sorts to these nodes: These types typically are in a cluster of four nodes in general area. Two will be hidden after you've depleted them, but once you've started on a third node, the first of those two will reappear. While this has no real importance right now, it does mean that you won't suddenly run out of resources after you've got an unlucky roll on one or two nodes, so you never run out of places to mine (or harvest) from.

Aside from highlighting that I got the quest completed, I want to point attention to the bottom left as well, where the EXP gains are shown. That first one is for completing the gathering log for collecting the ore at least once. What I want to point out, however, is the (+??%) experience bonuses. 50% of that is from the resting bonus, which has already been covered, but you also get a bonus for successfully gathering from a node after the first, from +5%, to +10% and then to +20%. If you miss a gathering attempt once, it resets back to 0% (as you can see from the last one). So right now, you can get a maximum bonus of 35% across four gathering attempts at this point in time. Small, perhaps, but it can add up, and is another reason why the Gathering stat is important.

In any case, we hand her the copper ores we dug up (and a perfect 10 from 3 nodes, given the 2 failures) to wrap up the first quest.

"Tell me, is being a miner aught like you imagined? Harder than expected, is it? Heh! All new recruits say as much. It takes a combination of knowledge, experience, and instinct to know where to dig. Yet it's ultimately backbreaking labor that yields you your prize. Make no mistake, Arytiss - mining is grueling work, and you'll be dog-tired most of your waking hours. But tell me, did you not feel invigorated each time your pickaxe struck home? Did you not experience a thrill of triumph when the earth finally yielded up your prize? That is what we miners live for."

In truth, this honestly feels more apt later on in a gathering class' life, when the stats matter far more. Gathering from something with 90-ish success rate is more of a feeling of mild irritation at worst when you don't get what you're going after. Also, something something X-COM something.

"You may be ripe to collapse, your face caked in week-old dirt, but the promise of discovery drives you on. And the instant you find that which you have long sought - in that sparkling instant - you feel like a god among men. You've made a fine start, and I would see you maintain your efforts. Practice swinging your pickaxe till your arms have learned the motion, then return here. I'll have another little task for you."

And with that, the first quest is done, we level up and learn Auto Prospect and so I eventually get around to removing Prospect off of my hotbar...eventually. (I also deal with the reason for the pixelation on some of the images, because I'm an idiot that forgot how to hide that.)

So a few things worth pointing out at this juncture (since I tend to be the 'boring' one with mechanical tidbits for bonus content), is that level is not the only factor when gathering. Remember how the muddy water was previously at 56% chance to obtain? Simply gaining a level has raised that chance to 61%. In comparison, getting the Lv.1 items has only gone up a single percent. This is essentially a form of soft-locking a player from instantly getting all the goods they desire right off the bat, and plays a factor much later in the gathering chain.

However, it's not the only one. This is after equipping the shirt that I got as a quest reward. The leap from 88% to 96% for Copper Ore is good, but not as good as the jump from 61% to 85% on Muddy Water, just from a clothing item that raises Gathering by 13. Even this early on, it hits home how equipment matters (perhaps more clearly than combat classes) and how keeping on top of it helps in the long run. Although on another character, having +6 Gathering pants on does nothing for mining Copper Ore further (yet boosts Muddy Water to 90%), so there is in fact a hard ceiling as well for materials that's dealt with by what level you are (as fun as it would be to get 100% right out of the gate).

It's also worth noting that you won't be able to wear all the gear that you could before, either. This is the ring that you would get from completing the Hall of the Novice training modules, but as you can see, it can only be worn by Disciples of War or Magic. This means that, when gathering or crafting, we cannot actually wear this piece of equipment. It may be the first time you come across this problem this early in the game, but some gears are limited as to what class can wear them, so sadly we can't get a 30% exp boost from this ring while mining.

I do have more to cover next time we go into mining, but for now I will put it on hold. Next time: We give Alchemy a go!

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

re: Triangulate and Prospect. The reason they're Skills is so that in theory... you could equip them to other classes as cross-class skills. Mostly I guess for the other major gathering class? I have no idea to be honest. It's VERY silly, but there are things worth cross-classing between BTN and MIN.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Digging the little tidbits relating it to the real world.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

re: Triangulate and Prospect. The reason they're Skills is so that in theory... you could equip them to other classes as cross-class skills. Mostly I guess for the other major gathering class? I have no idea to be honest. It's VERY silly, but there are things worth cross-classing between BTN and MIN.

I found cross-classing both kind of useful back when I had very little to actually cross class. It helped me learn to find things when I was still learning the maps. Beyond that, I don't think there was ever really a need for it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love the alchemist storyline so I'm looking forward to it :allears:

RikkidoSeph
Jul 31, 2014

SkyTalon2314 posted:

re: Triangulate and Prospect. The reason they're Skills is so that in theory... you could equip them to other classes as cross-class skills

I did a dungeon once were the tank had prospect on still makes me laugh when i think about it.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

RikkidoSeph posted:

I did a dungeon once were the tank had prospect on still makes me laugh when i think about it.

Depending on what class he was, there just might not have been anything worthwhile to put there, to be honest, so I can see a tank doing that for the hell of it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter XXX: Retaining a Little Bit of Progression
After some pondering and soul searching, it's maybe time for Aggro to continue the main scenario and meet the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. First, she kinda needs to know where they are. Fortunately, Momodi can tell her.

Click to play: A New Hope

Anyway, don't say I didn't warn you.

Momodi decides that it'll be a good idea to explain why we can trust the Scions, and explains what they do.

They're good people who've made it their mission to solve some of Eorea's most pressin' problems. 'Course, that ain't no small task, and so they're always lookin' for dependable individuals to join 'em - individuals like you, Aggro. Now, I've been given leave to tell you where to find the Scions, but you must promise to keep this information to yourself. The Scions are headquartered in Vesper Bay, out in western Thanalan.

Yeah, we're actually still going to be stuck in the desert for a bit longer. The story for all three city states will have converged around the time Aggro became an envoy, so this wouldn't be so bad for players starting in Limsa Lominsa or Gridania. This is one of the main reasons that the thread voted for Limsa-based Culinarian and Gridania-based Botanist.

The place you're lookin' for is called the Wakin' Sands. Give your name to whoever's at the entrance, and you'll be let in. You're a woman in demand, Aggro, and the days ahead promise to be busy, but I hope you won't forget your old friend Momodi. Drop in and tell me how you're farin'f rom time to time, you hear?

Click to play: To The Sun

I don't think we've been to Vesper Bay yet, but it's located just west of Horizon, which we've spent some time in. It's also past the fishing village that spawned after The Calmity.

Aggro is actually only one level below what's needed to avoid drawing attention from the local fauna. Monsters with the red next to their name will always attack once Aggro's within range, but will ignore her once she's ten levels higher. She won't need to worry about them anyway, because while the forgotten fishing village have nobody bothering to keep the path clear for them, the path to Vesper Bay is clear of dangerous enemies.

Click to play: The Gift of Life

Welcome to Vesper Bay, home to the Scions and the ferry between Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa territories.

The ferry docks aren't actually accessible, but it's used as a fast travel spot between Vesper Bay and Limsa Lominsa. Limsa isn't visible from here, but the island of Vylbrand is. Limsa should be somewhere behind the leftern-most part of Vylbrand. We'll discuss that more in the Legacy area at the end of the update.

Vesper Bay is also where you can start to begin unlocking the true end game of Final Fantasy XIV. You can come here at level 15 to unlock the ability to dye your gear. It's a short quest with little hassle.

The quest-giver is also the first non-significant female Roegadyn we've met in the LP so far. There are others scattered throughout the game world, but they're not the most common race and gender combination. Typically, you'll find them in Limsa Lominsa. She offers to teach Aggro how to apply dye to her equipment properly, in exchange for some Orange Juice to help deal with the constant heat. That seems like a fair trade.

You can simply just buy Orange Juice from the nearby Merchant & Mender NPC, who doesn't have a name. I remember the amount of people that didn't realise that you could buy it here, and would point other players to go to Ul'dah to buy Orange Juice. That would be a bit silly for something just to unlock dye.

I also make sure Aggro repairs her gear. It's something easily forgotten about, but broken equipment provide absolutely no stat bonuses.

And that's all you really need to do for the quest. Once Aggro hands over the Orange Juice, Swyrgeim instructs her on colorants. This also unlocks the Dye action.

It dyes gear.

There's a large range of colours, and they all go by a bunch of different names - often Eorzean inspired, like Dalamud Red or Cactuar Green. I wonder what Dalamud Red was called before the moon swelled into a giant orb of destruction?

There's a bunch of different commands on the dye window to let you match it with your other equipment and stuff, but it's all basic stuff. Surprisingly, that wasn't in the original release of the game.

Changing the colour of the dye for your equipment also means you can refresh your gear set. Gear sets don't just record your current equipment, it also records the materia and dyes used too.

Anyway, now that Aggro has improved her presentation a little, it's time to go meet her potential new employer. The Waking Sands is located right next to the pier in Vesper Bay.

Click to play video.

Uwaaah! <cough>

Now, please be advised that this is private property. Unless you have pertinent business here, I must ask you to - Here at the behest of Thancred!? My sincere apologies! May I please have your name?

Aggro Crag... Ah, here you are.

My name is Tataru, and I look forward to assisting you during your time with us. The Antecedent is within the solar. I shall let her know to expect you.

Tataru is an interesting and fun character, but we won't really get to know her for a while. Incidentally, her full name is Tataru Taru, which is pretty close to the Taru Taru race in Final Fantasy XI. They're the same type of race niche that Lalafell fall under.

In any case, the entrance to the Waking Sands is located down stairs, and leads to a separate instance.

Click to play: The Waking Sands

The Waking Sands, themselves, are actually fairly empty right now. The Scions have only started recruiting, so they consist predominantly of their core cast. As we progress the story, the Waking Sands will fill up a little bit more, and we can mingle with the NPCs to learn more about our colleagues outside of the story. I recommend always stopping by whenever a big change happens in the story.

Right now there are only three other named characters. I'll chat to them in the bonus area, but let's actually go meet the Antecedent for now. (Also, I think that's the first male Miqo'te we've met in this game.)

It's not actually currently possible to enter the final room for now. Aggro will need to speak to an unnamed Scion of the Seventh Dawn to receive the reward for her quest and enter. Upon stepping inside, Aggro meets possibly the most loathed character in the game.

Click to play voice acted video.

In front of Aggro is Thancred, and the equivalent character for each starting area. There are also two strangers, one of whom you may recognize from the 1.0 summary. Minfilia.

Well met, friend. My name is Minfilia, and I lead the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. I have awaited your coming. Please, be at ease. You are among friends here.

Thancred gives Aggro a little wave here and she nods. Presumably, the same thing would have played out with the other regional Scions should she have started somewhere else.

Among our gravest concerns are the godlike beings known as primals. Their existence is a bane upon Eorzea - nay, the world at large, and we have striven to find a lasting solution to the threat they pose. So long as they exist, the realm cannot take so much as a single step towards true peace.

Sounds great, but what will that have to do with Aggro?

Our order is home to a number of individuals who, like you, possess a rare and special talent. This talent takes various forms, but one holds particular interest for us. Yours is the power to transcend the boundaries of the soul - a power known as the Echo. The Echo allows you to pass through the walls of a man's soul, and hear the resonations of his past. It is only a shame that we cannot use it whensoever we choose.

Make no mistake - the Echo will be instrumental in dealing with the primal threat. Without it, we cannot hope to save the realm.

But I firmly believe that the power we possess was given to us for a purpose. Why else would the gods entrust man with a gift so extraordinary, if not to have him use it? And so I implore you: lend us your power.

The scene actually changes here, though little is different beyond the lack of voice acting.

Click to play video.

Naturally, your aid will not go unrewarded. We are fortunate to have a number of influential allies, and at a word from me, they will gladly afford you certain privileges that might otherwise be denied you. The right to employ retainers, for example. Are you familiar with them?

The absolutely god awful 1.0 market mechanic, in which players looking to buy items will need to browse the wares of an unorganized room of retainers until they eventually find someone selling the item they're after? Sure.

They are individuals who may be relied upon to manage your assets and belongings on your behalf.

As Minfilia explains retaners, Tataru enters the room.

The papers you requested, my lady.

Tataru then walks over to Minfilia, and gives her an object inconspicuously kept from the camera.

Minfilia then signs it, giving the camera a small eyeful. Once she's done, she hands the papers over to Tataru, who then leaves.

You know, this image reminds me of a fun bit of trivia about Minfilia. She's meant to be a Highlander Hyur, but she was introduced in 1.0 which didn't have any female Highlanders. The game was unfinished enough that they just created her model from midlander Hyur assets. I guess A Realm Reborn didn't fix this in order to keep her character consistent. Incidentally, this is also true of Yda (the masked lady).

Considering what Square-Enix was like at the time of 1.0, I wouldn't be surprised if the art team made models for Minfilia and Yda without actually knowing anything about them, or without the writing team having actually established who they are yet.

In return, we ask that you aid us to the fullest extent of your talents. A mutually beneficial relationship, I am sure you will agree, and one which serves the greater good besides. Now you know our purpose, and what we can offer you, I invite you to consider joining us.

There's been a good bit of info dumping in this scene, but it doesn't end yet. There hasn't been enough references to previous Final Fantasy games yet.

In good faith, I shall entrust you with our order's password, which our members use to reach one another when afield. It is "wild rose." Pray return keep it safe.

We're dumped outside the cutscene, and now have the ability to hire retainers. They're a lot better than their 1.0 counterparts.

While here, Aggro is also able to chat with the other Scions. There's not too much at the moment, but she learns that the organisation is a combination of the Louisoix' Circle of Knowing (who fought Primals), and Minfilia's Path of the Twelve (who had the Echo and sought peace). I'll probably throw their dialogue in the bonus area too. So. Retainers.

Click to play: A New Hope

For the retainers, Aggro returns to Ul'dah. There, she can speak to the Retainer Vocate, Chachabi. Each city state has its own Retainer Vocate that you can talk to.

There's a bunch of options, but the only interesting ones right now are to Hire or Ask about them. We're going to skip asking and go straight to the Hire.

Excellent. We have quite a few men and women on our lists, so I invite you to describe the retainer you desire, down to the most minute detail.

This will open up the character creation screen, where I can pick out who I want to serve as my retainer. To get the most out of your retainers, you need four of them, but we're going to make one right now.

I'm going to re-use the old Crash appearance data to make this quick, but I'll let the thread vote on each retainer as we get them. From now on, please imagine the person in the seasonal event updates prior to 2016 are all this retainer ditching work.

Once we're done, the game drops Aggro back in front of the Retainer Vocate.

From here, Aggro can pick the personality for the retainer. Keep in mind that the interpretation of each personality is different for each race, gender, and possibly clan. I'm not going to show them all off because that's at least 72 variations and gently caress that. It doesn't really impact too much anyway, and you only really see it when being greeted and dismissing your retainer.

Once we're done, we've to give a name to the retainer. It's limited to 20 characters and can't have spaces in it, so this is meant to be a single name. I was going to just go with good ol' fashioned Crash, but that name was taken.

So I just went with Old-fashioned instead.

And there we have it. We now have Crash Old-fashioned back in some form. So, what are retainers for and how do we use them?

Well, right next to Chachabi is a Summoning Bell, which is how Aggro can access her retainers.

For a start, each retainer can be used as another storage bank, with 175 inventory slots and their own coinpurse. Aggro can hand all of her junk over to Old-fashioned to carry.

Additionally, retainers are how you sell items on the market board. This is kind of a more user-friendly way of managing the old 1.0 system, so let's take a look. First, we'll sell some Finger Shrimp. The regular selling price to NPCs is only 3 gil. Aggro can't get a lot for it.

Sadly, it looks like a bit of a bust. If it wasn't for the employer of Phildphy, the shrimp would be worth about 100 gil.

We can look at the market board and see that the shrimp are actually selling, though. Some normal quality Finger Shrimp actually sold for 125 gil, so it might be worth trying anyway. That 3 gil shrimp will probably go quick.

One thing to note is that there's a tax for selling items on the market. This will only take 10 gil of Aggro's fee, so it won't really hurt too much. Sure thing.

That being said, the tax will occasionally change. If these items sell before the 5th of November, then Aggro will only have to pay 2% in profit. I should also draw attention to the Ul'dah note as well. Buyers on the market board will also have to pay an import tax on any items from other regions. Since we got Old-fashioned in Ul'dah, he sells items in Ul'dah. That means his items are tax free to consumers in this great, golden city.

Yeah. See you, Crash Old-fashioned.

Another thing to note when selling is that the position on the search results matter too. Old-fashioned is 4th on the list for potential buyers of Maple Syrup. If Aggro were to recall him to store items with him, he'll briefly stop selling items, which will bring him to 5th when she sends him off again. This kind of leads to a lot of undercutting, so expect to compete with other players. The quantity of items is also something buyers can't change, so you can take advantage of this too. Aggro's competitors mostly bundle significantly more than she does, so other adventurers may prefer to purchase from Old-fashioned instead.

There's actually another mechanic to retainers as well, but we'll get to that and our second retainer in the next update before rejoining the Scions.

The Antecedent made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Said that if I joined, I'd get to fight against the primals and the imperials both to my heart's content. Aye, I know I could get the same by enlistin' in one of 'em Grand Companies. But I've never been partial to salutin', if ye know what I mean.

That receptionist is something else. Did you perchance notice how small she's written the names in her roll? I couldn't make out a single one, no matter how hard I tried! ... Sorry, just trying to make idle conversation. This whole affair has me all worked up. I thought for sure that it was some sort of scam - that they were rounding up hapless adventurers for some nefarious ends. But now that I've seen the facilities for myself, I must confess it looks legitimate...

I had a dream unlike any other. I was myself, but then I became something...more. When I spoke of it to others, they directed me here. Did you have one too?

Only one video today.

There's a couple of things in this update that are really different compared to 1.0. For a start, 1.0 didn't have fast travel (which I think I've touched on before). It took fifteen minutes to travel between Vesper Bay and Limsa Lominsa, which you can see here, in someone else's video. You can even see Limsa slowly show up.

Orange Juice was also in 1.0, but meals seemed to have served a different purpose in that. At the very least, Orange Juice's effect was that it boosted HP by 25, rather than Vitality and Piety by 1.

There aren't many exciting changes since the original release of A Realm Reborn, but dyeing has saw some adjustments. Being able to apply dye to your entire set is a new thing. Also, I guess a nice little extra bit of information that nobody would really care about is that the Ferry cost 55k gil in the beta.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

CrashScreen posted:

I'm going to re-use the old Crash appearance data to make this quick, but I'll let the thread vote on each retainer as we get them. From now on, please imagine the person in the seasonal event updates prior to 2016 are all this retainer ditching work.

Time-traveling holiday retainer is actually a pretty amazing idea. I'm just disappointed you didn't name him Market-crash. I will be calling him Market Crash.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I named my retainers Bartholomewmew (male Miqo'te) and Tuberella (female Lalafell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I believe you meant to say that Tataru is the best character.