Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Usually I hate the idiots who accelerate away from lights at like a mile an hour (especially in rush hour traffic when the queue is never cleared during a light cycle), but when I was in the left turn lane to go into a shopping center, the idiot 4 cars back in the lane to my right was having issues getting up to speed leaving a huge gap. I decided to just shop online and took advantage of the gap to get back on the road. Similarly, at the highway overpass thats a bit further up the road, I usually get in the left turn lane again to get on the service road and use a side road to get home, bypassing the huge lines trying to go straight across the highway. Again, the idiot in the lane to my right was a slow rear end in a top hat, so I had plenty of road to get back over on the bridge. It's me, I'm the idiot rear end in a top hat you share the road with (though I did get home a good 15% sooner)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It does always amuse me that me and my aging late 80s land yacht can unfailingly out-accelerate any car I am next to if I'm first in line at a light.

This is not a fast car. It accelerates like a brick. The transmission takes a solid second or two to engage and start moving the car. Actually paying attention to the light cycle and putting a little gas on before it turns green lets me take off and be across the intersection before most people are through the crosswalk. I'm pretty sure any driver in a car from this century could outpace me by even THINKING about stepping on the gas. HOW THE gently caress AM I ALWAYS AHEAD.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Javid posted:

first in line at a light.

I've learned from other people's mistakes. I've seen at least two cars get hammered by stale red runners. When the light turns green, I quick check left/right/left before fully committing to acceleration. It's saved my rear end more than once.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That check-on-green is straight up mandatory around here after about 10-11PM. The lights go on short timing anyway and apparently it catches everyone off-guard because the amount of dead reds that get run is insane.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Had an impatient BMW driver this morning. On 95 south near Baltimore there is a left exit onto 695. A box truck to my right wanted to get over so I eased up on the gas to let him. As he starts merging in front of me the BMW behind me jerks into the right lane and I hear an extended honk as he starts to pass me.

I don't know if it was him honking at me for letting the truck over,
or him honking at the truck for coming over,
or him honking at somebody two lanes over who was about to merge left,
or the guy he got in front of honking at him.

So his dash to the right and back to the left gains him three car lengths which quickly became one car length when the two cars in front of me got on 695.

Good job, champ.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

That check-on-green is straight up mandatory around here after about 10-11PM. The lights go on short timing anyway and apparently it catches everyone off-guard because the amount of dead reds that get run is insane.

This seems like a prudent thing to do no matter what kind of light or intersection type it is, and I do my best to always make sure there's nobody flying in from the other side. We probably wouldn't have crashed, but I recently caught a guy launching straight into my driver's door when he (likely) saw a right turn arrow go green on his side.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was going up a hill at goin home rush hour last night. Going 40 in a 35 with a BMW so close to me I couldn't see his hood. I let off the gas and he didn't pass me till I was down to about 20. Then he flipped me off.

I mean I deserve that always but still

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I hate the assholes that will pass me at 30 over the limit in a construction zone (or just a lower speed zone) and then block me from doing a comfortable 10 km/h over once the normal speed resumes. Hey fuckface, if you were comfortable going 30 over in the zone that just ended, why are you suddenly concerned about the speed limit here where it's arguably safer to speed? Also, they always seem so surprised when I accelerate where the actual speed change happens, like "this guy is trying to stop me from passing!"

I mean, I think a lot of construction zones could end sooner than they do, but I'm still not comfortable going 30-40 over the limit no matter the circumstances, because that's a very significant ticket if I get one.

EDIT: I know I've bitched about this before, but it's becoming A Thing literally every time I try to drive anywhere and it's driving me nuts.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 28, 2016

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
On my way to work as usual. 4 lane highway with a grass median, and we're rolling up on a light where I take a left.

Today is different, for some reason the light is in its fail-safe mode. (4 lane highway has flashing yellow, left turns and crossroad all have flashing red).
Since I'm making a left, I have to stop for the flashing red arrow. This idiot truck in the other direction on the 4 lane highway, rolls up to the intersection and stops for a flashing yellow. So there I am waiting for this stupid gently caress to finally move, because I'm sure as hell not going to cross in front of this unpredictable idiot.

That was my story. I'd be a little more understanding if the light were out completely no I wouldn't, they should know that too, but no, it was working, just in a fail-safe mode. People just have no idea what lights and signs mean.

xergm fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 28, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

This seems like a prudent thing to do no matter what kind of light or intersection type it is, and I do my best to always make sure there's nobody flying in from the other side. We probably wouldn't have crashed, but I recently caught a guy launching straight into my driver's door when he (likely) saw a right turn arrow go green on his side.

Agreed, it just seems to get massively worse late at night.

nsaP posted:

I was going up a hill at goin home rush hour last night. Going 40 in a 35 with a BMW so close to me I couldn't see his hood. I let off the gas and he didn't pass me till I was down to about 20. Then he flipped me off.

I mean I deserve that always but still

I will never understand the desire of some people to stay behind someone and tailgate the poo poo out of them when they have room to pass. See it nearly every day on a five+ lane wide highway.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've tried to become more calm and less reactive in my old age, and I think I've done pretty well with it - I have had a lot less desire to react to other people's dumb crap while driving lately.

However, last night, on the 101 north, a motorcycle rider is in the left lane, behind an SUV, with a huge gap to his front / right (so, he could jump into it, I could not). They're at the forefront of a rolling roadblock, cars stretching across all 5 lanes, going 5 under (so about 60mph).

I didn't do anything.

Then, eventually, the bike drifts over into the lane to his right, and the gap between him and the SUV that was in front of him continued to widen. I sped up (~70mph, 5 over), put my blinker on, and started moving over. He then decided (after my tires were in the lane) that he didn't want that to happen, so he accelerated and put his high beam on.

So, A) god, you're such a dipshit. B) Hmmm. I'm driving a lifted jeep with obvious rock damage, you're riding a lovely 80s bike, how do you think this is going to play out?

I kept going, he backed off, then jumped back forward to tailgate me. Mind you, lane splitting is legal here, and there is a clear space to my right (which I eventually moved to, and he followed me to). Nope. Gotta ride my rear end with the high beam on.

That's ok, that's what rear fogs are for :q: There's something still oddly satisfying about seeing the body of your bike and you clearly lit in red in the mirror - despite your high beam being on - that I will just never not love.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will never understand the desire of some people to stay behind someone and tailgate the poo poo out of them when they have room to pass. See it nearly every day on a five+ lane wide highway.

This and people who come to a dead stop and wait for traffic to let them in from off-ramps. Had a guy do that to me today coming back from a client site, he was coming off the interstate and his lane merged into the one I was in (from the right side). I back off and make room for him to merge over, so he does...then slows to almost a dead stop in front of me because he needed to get over to the furthest left lane. I honk, he throws his hands up like a big dramatic baby, then moves to the left lane without looking and almost sideswipes a passing car :psyduck: The best part? Dude was maybe in his 30s and looked like he was either high out of his mind or drunk as hell. I phoned it into the local police with his info because gently caress that, I've had enough close calls from dumb assholes that I started keeping the local PD on speed dial.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot rear end in a top hat you share the road with (though I did get home a good 15% sooner)

I do this too, on occasion. There's a few spots where I know there's almost always someone leaving a big gap that I can fit into. The trick is to not get mad if someone decides to be a dick and block you, and just find an alternate turn. Hell, sometimes going up the road, making a legal U-turn and coming back is faster than waiting in line.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

dee eight posted:

I've learned from other people's mistakes. I've seen at least two cars get hammered by stale red runners. When the light turns green, I quick check left/right/left before fully committing to acceleration. It's saved my rear end more than once.

Police you share the road with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpbegPwyyUQ

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm surprised more of you dont do what I do with accelerating to merge on clover leafs and the like - I back way off, or come to a complete stop, when its obvious that the guy in front of me doesn't want to merge into 70mph traffic at any speed over 30. Then when hes clear I just accelerate up to a proper speed since I have plenty of room.

As to lights , a decade ago I had a commute where when one set of lights hit red the others immediately went green. Almost got hit a bunch at those.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I feel bad for the driver of the of the Toyota.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mastershakeman posted:

I'm surprised more of you dont do what I do with accelerating to merge on clover leafs and the like - I back way off, or come to a complete stop, when its obvious that the guy in front of me doesn't want to merge into 70mph traffic at any speed over 30. Then when hes clear I just accelerate up to a proper speed since I have plenty of room.

As to lights , a decade ago I had a commute where when one set of lights hit red the others immediately went green. Almost got hit a bunch at those.

We really don't have that luxury of long on ramps and clover leaves here in Pittsburgh. Mostly you're lucky to get a few car lengths

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

slidebite posted:

I feel bad for the driver of the of the Toyota.

Notice how he puts his hands up first thing. 'murica.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
VIDEO: 115.6 MPH Snapchat posted by girlfriend of driver that caused fatal crash that killed 5 people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dC7ZFVbvk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/snapchat-video-appears-to-show-driver-going-115-mph-on-night-of-crash-that/2300400

The Florida Highway Patrol believes the video, posted on the social media app SnapChat, shows Pablo Cortes III, 22, in the moments before his Volkwagen Golf crossed a median along E Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard on Wednesday night and slammed nearly head-on into a Toyota minivan.

Cortes, his passenger and three people in the van — a mother and her two children — were killed. The driver of a third car was seriously injured.

The FHP said the video, first obtained by WFTS-TV-Ch. 28 and shared with troopers, is now part of the crash investigation. It appears to support what troopers said they already knew: Cortes was exceeding the 50 mph speed limit when he apparently lost control minutes after the video was posted at 9:38 p.m.

A preliminary FHP crash report put the time of the crash at 9:47 p.m.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lime Tonics posted:

VIDEO: 115.6 MPH Snapchat posted by girlfriend of driver that caused fatal crash that killed 5 people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dC7ZFVbvk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/snapchat-video-appears-to-show-driver-going-115-mph-on-night-of-crash-that/2300400

The Florida Highway Patrol believes the video, posted on the social media app SnapChat, shows Pablo Cortes III, 22, in the moments before his Volkwagen Golf crossed a median along E Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard on Wednesday night and slammed nearly head-on into a Toyota minivan.

Cortes, his passenger and three people in the van — a mother and her two children — were killed. The driver of a third car was seriously injured.

The FHP said the video, first obtained by WFTS-TV-Ch. 28 and shared with troopers, is now part of the crash investigation. It appears to support what troopers said they already knew: Cortes was exceeding the 50 mph speed limit when he apparently lost control minutes after the video was posted at 9:38 p.m.

A preliminary FHP crash report put the time of the crash at 9:47 p.m.

115 MPH? Pish tosh, I went that fast just the other day!

...in a car, you say? On a public road in North America? Ohhhh....

Why do people do dumb poo poo like that? It's just not acceptable on any level.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Because there are few people left with a sense of personal responsibility. Most people treat the world like it's their own personal reality TV show.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This girl thought 115 was worth snapchatting, that's my takeaway here. How sad.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Why does snapchat have (need) a feature that encourages people to drive faster? This isn't even the first time I've heard about it contributing to an accident

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Begall posted:

Why does snapchat have (need) a feature that encourages people to drive faster? This isn't even the first time I've heard about it contributing to an accident

Probably because it was easy to program, so the dude who wrote it threw it in as a cool feature.

Then once Snapchat started taking criticism for it, they turned into Startup Libertarians and refused to bow to public pressure out of a sense of common decency?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

N is for Nipples posted:

Thank the sweet lord for motorcycles, because this happens every single day multiple times at certain overloaded intersections around here. If I still had to suffer through that I would have long since committed ritual suicide on the hood of someone's car.

What sort of trailer is that second unit hauling? At first the structure and holes made me think livestock, I'm sure if there was anything alive in it they had a real fun time.
If there were livestock, they might be culled on the spot. He kept it upright, so I went with 'might'. If the trailer tips over, all of them are culled.

edit: Watched it again, that trailer tends to haul wood chips.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 30, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hate this poo poo. Went in for 20 minutes, came out to the person driving this pickup backing up because she had managed to almost hit my bike in her "excellent parking" job. Didn't even look at me when I walked past her, just pointedly looked the other way.

I park as far out as I can to AVOID people who can't park. Best part is every other row was completely empty in the last 4-5 spots at the end so she pulled that close to my bike for nothing, and if she had actually stopped at the line properly she probably wouldn't have had more than 2" out into the aisle anyhow.

And of course it was Ohio plates (in Pittsburgh)

It's probably what I get for shopping at Walmart, especially on a Sunday, two days before a holiday.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
She managed to almost hit your bike? Did something other than what's shown in the picture take place?

(Yes, it is indeed an absolutely terrible park job)

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
What's up with people who stop a car length before the next guy at a light? I'd almost say they do it in case they get their rear-ended, but that seems to be giving them too much credit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usually when I get a big gap it's because I stopped and the driver in front crept forward. I don't creep, so the gap grows.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sleepy.eyes posted:

What's up with people who stop a car length before the next guy at a light? I'd almost say they do it in case they get their rear-ended, but that seems to be giving them too much credit.
No one knows how big their car is.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

sleepy.eyes posted:

These are the same people who tailgate you @ 70 mph. Used to drive me insane when I was riding my motorcycle. Especially when they're so far back that they aren't close enough to trigger the sensors for a stoplight

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Sometimes I leave extra space because people often don't use their turn signal until the exact moment the light changes, and that way I have enough space to drive around them.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I don't leave much of a gap but I drive a manual with the auto start/stop going so if I come to a stop I don't creep.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZL6OKwQGew

I don't understand how car after car continues to plow through without so much as slowing down. How many of these idiots were staring at their phone?

:psyboom:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I've always made a point of stopping where I leave enough room to get around the guy in front of me. Ya never know when some weird thing might happen and you have to vacte the spot in a hurry.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I stop on top of the next sensor available. If possible due to spacing, I get some of the car over two sensor loops at once. Depending on how the light controller was programmed, this can increase the priority of the lane I am in :v:

Especially if the knob at the head of the queue has gone so far past the line that their rear bumper is over it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Chicago doesn't use loops, it's straight timers. Pretty dumb eh?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

She managed to almost hit your bike? Did something other than what's shown in the picture take place?

(Yes, it is indeed an absolutely terrible park job)

When I walked up, her front bumper would have been at about level with the back of the rear passenger door of the car next to my bike, as if she had just pulled in and didn't notice it was parked there until the last instant, then she reversed and 'corrected' it to that poorly parked.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well that is pretty bad. She could probably barely see over the wheel and at that height - if she didn't see the bike when she first turned, she may just missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well that is pretty bad. She could probably barely see over the wheel and at that height - if she didn't see the bike when she first turned, she may just missed it.

Yes.... which is why I posted in this thread. The thread for bad drivers.