Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Tane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EminusSleepus posted:

dont worry, Derek can take all the blame he is a big boy

At Fuzzy Modem's jury trial:

:eng101: So Mr. Child Rapist, how do you plead?
:pedo: Yer'honor I plead innocent-
:raise::mmmhmm::o::nono::keke::confused::reject::eek::j::sweatdrop::stonk::cheeky:: LIAR!!!
:pedo: -that is, I was unwittingly forced to do it by Dicky Smarmy-
:eng101: Thank u for yer service jury membres court sentences He Whom Shall Not Be Named to another uh, whatever the charge was. Dismissed

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

I think batgirl is just pissed because it's obvious what's going to happen, CIG wants to do a console version

LIES! The only reason Chris uses a console controller all the time is because that's the preferred controller of all Saviors of PC Gaming.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Everyone in this thread is Derek Smart.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SomethingJones posted:

No.

Here is what happened, and I'll type it out in a list with little numbers attached so that it is nice and easy to follow through -

1. Batgirl said some poo poo
2. I typed that poo poo out, 100% accurately
3. That poo poo got posted on the RSI forum
4. Batgirl blames Derek Smart

It's particularly funny in this case because Derek said from the first minute that SQ42 would never get released on consoles, even tweeted as much. So they are literally going "Derek tweeted that SQ42 wouldn't be released on consoles because he knew we would think he was lying, he knowingly used reverse psychology on us, that is how evil he is".

Truly the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2f3kcMQbA&t=219s

"what's going on right now is that Derek Smart and other people are using my statement as a way to say this is what they said. And it's not what she said and those people are just trying to incite bad feelings amongst the game. Now I do consider myself a pseudo journalist, which someone that is in the community and likes the game but also knows that I have to somewhat of a non-bias approach *laughs* when I do my videos and I've tried that in the past but people get a little bit upset."

A pseudo journalist for a pseudo game.

I try to give Nikki credit where it's due but for gently caress's sake own up to your own bullshit. Of course she already established that she withholds information that she feels is controversial (until she can talk about it on another podcast to show how connected she is).

The funny thing is that once again the head of marketing is responsible for creating a shitstorm. Good job Sandi, I'm sure your head of community engagement and content strategy appreciates having to be pulled away from cataloging Wing Commander minutia to have to deal with this.

This is what happens when you don't have a game to talk about.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SomethingJones posted:

No.

Here is what happened, and I'll type it out in a list with little numbers attached so that it is nice and easy to follow through -

1. Batgirl said some poo poo
2. I typed that poo poo out, 100% accurately
3. That poo poo got posted on the RSI forum
4. Batgirl blames Derek Smart

Don't mind me, just quoting the truth.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A pseudo journalist for a pseudo game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r4eBAnkAlA

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Holy moley :captainpop: I wonder how many games are going to take the piss out of sc in the next few years?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm sure your head of community engagement and content strategy appreciates having to be pulled away from cataloging Wing Commander minutia to have to deal with this.

This is just dumb. You can't "pull" ben, his velocity and acceleration is determined by his position in the earth-ben vector field.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
About the console war...

It seems to me like, minus Chris Roberts touch of death, Squadron 42 stand alone would be feasible on a console. Probably even a PS2 with the right models.

At its core it's just Arena Commander strung together with even FMV cutscenes.

They could theoretically farm the hard part out to China (the space sim part) and let Roberts ponce around with mocap all day to feel like he's a big contributor.

Nix the whole open world stuff, put the movie part more on rails, or even like Wing Commander where you can just click between rooms and then on characters to initiate a cutscene.

Getting it on a console seems feasible to me, given the removal of Roberts from trying to help design it. Doesn't even need to have the FPS levels. Just straight up space fight levels and cutscenes.

Am I missing something that makes this impossible to run on a console? Minus the Roberts fail-factor and explosive technical hurdles that should be hand-waved away?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is just dumb. You can't "pull" ben, his velocity and acceleration is determined by his position in the earth-ben vector field.
It's a misconception that massive objects don't experience the gravitational pull of other smaller objects.

We can find extra solar planets by detecting the "wobble" they create when they orbit their stars for example. Even something as massive as Ben will still measurably be "pulled" by Earth, it's just that the converse effect is much larger.

Hey Marching Powder, I made a Ben is fat joke.

The Titanic posted:

Getting it on a console seems feasible to me, given the removal of Roberts from trying to help design it. Doesn't even need to have the FPS levels. Just straight up space fight levels and cutscenes.
Certification is going to be a major stumbling block for them. The poo poo CIG have been content to put out up to now just won't cut the mustard.

Microsoft and Sony have these things called "standards", they aren't going to just swallow Chris' bullshit like backers do.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 31, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

tooterfish posted:

It's a misconception that massive objects don't experience the gravitational pull of other smaller objects.

We can find extra solar planets by detecting the "wobble" they create when they orbit their stars for example. Even something as massive as Ben will still measurably be "pulled" by Earth, it's just that the converse effect is much larger.

Hey Marching Powder, I made a Ben is fat joke.

That's not what I meant - of course you and I are included in the Earth part of the Earth-Ben system. The issue is trying to pull him by mechanical means, which is an amusing concept but impractical in reality. At any rate, even a perceived short stay that close to Ben would take a very long time as measured by those further from him - don't even attempt it unless you want every one you know and love to "suddenly" die.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oh sorry.

Yeah, that's pure science fiction. I'm not even sure why someone would bring it up in such a serious discussion, what a waste of everyone's time!

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

AP posted:

I think batgirl is just pissed because it's obvious what's going to happen, CIG wants to do a console version as CIG has always only been interested in money and the vast majority of the pc gamers who would buy SQ42 already have. Therefore console sales are a new source of potential cash, but she's also pissed because CIG being CIG, it's never going to happen, so she has the drama of CIG gradually informing the Citizens of their console intentions through her, while knowing it's pointless drama as everything is on fire anyway.

Solution, blame Sedrick Phart & evil goons.

Hmmm interesting take. I had just attributed it to her being a talentless shill.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

tooterfish posted:

Oh sorry.

Yeah, that's pure science fiction. I'm not even sure why someone would bring it up in such a serious discussion, what a waste of everyone's time!

Yeah, by contrast I've blessed y'all with one hundred and sixty pages of pure gold :smuggo:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

Am I missing something that makes this impossible to run on a console? Minus the Roberts fail-factor and explosive technical hurdles that should be hand-waved away?

You are describing the initial non stretch-goaled kickstarter.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

:laffo:

:tinfoil:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Certification is going to be a major stumbling block for them. The poo poo CIG have been content to put out up to now just won't cut the mustard.

Microsoft and Sony have these things called "standards", they aren't going to just swallow Chris' bullshit like backers do.
For those who don't know or really care, the cert process, as far as I understand it, is as follows:

• The console manufacturer hands you a massive checklist of requirements ranging from "gracefully handle disconnecting the controller during gameplay" to "do this specific thing using this specific API", all the way through to very fiddly things like "only ever refer to our hardware via these very specific names, using very specific spelling and capitalisation".
  • You do all these things. To the letter.
  • You send your game - and a sizable chunk of cash - to the console manufacturer's certification department for the region you want to release in.
  • You wait a week or two, possibly more or less, depending on what time of year it is and how busy the cert department is, while they kick around your game and make sure you check all the boxes.
  • You receive a notice of failure because your in-game font makes the console's name look like it's all-caps.
  • You swear, cry, scrounge up another hefty chunk of cash and resubmit with all the problems fixed.
  • You pass cert and your game is approved to be released!
  • You realize you have to go through the same process for every single patch you release - minus the sizable fee - and hit the bottle.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's not what I meant - of course you and I are included in the Earth part of the Earth-Ben system. The issue is trying to pull him by mechanical means, which is an amusing concept but impractical in reality. At any rate, even a perceived short stay that close to Ben would take a very long time as measured by those further from him - don't even attempt it unless you want every one you know and love to "suddenly" die.

Time slows when you approach Ben so all you have to do is orbit the stench horizon and by the time SC is ready barely a minute will have gone by.

Some might argue that a minute orbiting Ben would be worse than just wasting a decade waiting so ponder well before you chose.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tooterfish posted:

This is why I mentioned they farm it out to some cheap company that knows what it's doing.

Outside of "kind of walking on a moving space ship" there's really nothing to the game currently. Sq42 would only need a space arena.

I know Citizens want to pretend there's tons of stuff and technological wins behind the scenes, but there's really not. And the ones that are in continue to be broken, so there's just concepts and ideas, but no solid code behind it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MeLKoR posted:

You are describing the initial non stretch-goaled kickstarter.

Precisely. There's nothing stopping them from doing that if serious about a console release.

They clearly have nothing to burn but time and money, so they can do whatever they want.

StarEngine or whatever the heck it is will never be on a console. But some third party could do the same thing faster using a different engine designed for space/plane arcade games. Probably in a year or two, minus the ridiculous amount of cutscenes Roberts must have.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

This is why I mentioned they farm it out to some cheap company that knows what it's doing.

Yeah, every problem CIG has involves having a sale, opening a new studio, making a video so they can have another sale or hiring a third party to do the difficult bits.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was going to write a long effort post about how CIG could possibly get things done by focusing on SQ42 and then using that as a test bed for mechanics while they focused on writing a new engine for Star Citizen, but then I realized that I just don't give a flying gently caress anymore and it doesn't matter because Roberts is going to do whatever the gently caress he wants anyway.

Oh hey look we're nearly a month after CitizenCon and CIG still hasn't released a single loving thing about the game that was originally slated to be released this year.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

Yeah, every problem CIG has involves having a sale, opening a new studio, making a video so they can have another sale or hiring a third party to do the difficult bits.

This is true too. :shobon:

Ultimately CIGs biggest enemy is CIG.

They just can't get past their ego/ineptitude to actually do something right.

At its core, Sq42 technically should have been released 2 years ago. It's just a drat arcade space shooter with cutscenes between the levels. This is not the second coming of game programming.

The post mortem on CIG is going to be a great read someday.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Whatever game they developed in their 48 hours is better than the tech demo of SC/SQ42/Star Marine/Arena COmmander/SATABall (Am I missing any?).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2f3kcMQbA&t=219s

"what's going on right now is that Derek Smart and other people are using my statement as a way to say this is what they said. And it's not what she said and those people are just trying to incite bad feelings amongst the game. Now I do consider myself a pseudo journalist, which someone that is in the community and likes the game but also knows that I have to somewhat of a non-bias approach *laughs* when I do my videos and I've tried that in the past but people get a little bit upset."

Earlier At 1 minute 35 seconds

"Now it does make sense for Squadron 42 to move to the console, being the type of game that it is"

At 2 minutes 07 seconds

"It would be a huge seller on that platform, just because it's going to be an amazing game. Never was it mentioned it was definite and never was it mentioned that it was in the works, it was just something that we talked about hypothetically".

There are several layers of comedy here that I've really enjoyed. First you have the idea that something that logically makes sense, doing a console version of a single player spacegame can be discussed with one of the game company founders, float the idea that it makes sense to both of you, would be great, would sell loads but it's just talking "hypothetically". The idea that because you aren't saying something for definite or making an announcement, while the something in question would takes years to develop, but the conversation isn't important considering what Elite dangerous did.

Layered on top of that you have the hilarity of referring to yourself as a "pseudo journalist" within a couple of minutes of saying Squadron 42 is "going to be an amazing game", while displaying your own complete inability to refer to yourself as "unbiased" without laughing.

Then you have the historical record of Cloud Imperium Games displaying virtually zero professional behaviour, unable to release anything at all of even a decent quality, never mind "good", during an interview with a VP of marketing that seemingly has no relevant marketing experience and who appears to have landed the role purely based on being married to a chubby liar with a bad haircut.

Nichole D'Angelo you are funny and I'll sleep well once CIG goes bust, I hope you can do the same after plugging this expensive hobby of dreams for years to the mentally ill, while asking for money to continue to do so.

Also lol at loving up an audio track, you had one job, you really are talented enough to work there.

She's digging that hole deeper and deeper. Anyway, two can play that game. So I wrote a thing: https://goo.gl/Qi0TGg

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Games Developer fat.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Releasing squadron 42 on consoles would be a smart move if they could pull it off.

There's enough console players that would just see the cool art on the box, and maybe a trailer, and then buy it. (also, I doubt anyone but goons and true believers know all the BS we know)

I'm sure Chris could use the influx of new cash to put more polish on Star Citizen.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

Precisely. There's nothing stopping them from doing that if serious about a console release.

They clearly have nothing to burn but time and money, so they can do whatever they want.

StarEngine or whatever the heck it is will never be on a console. But some third party could do the same thing faster using a different engine designed for space/plane arcade games. Probably in a year or two, minus the ridiculous amount of cutscenes Roberts must have.

That would mean throwing out everything they've done so far and starting over, in order to have something that could be released on consoles. I don't think the whales would take kindly to this.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Btw...CIG just purged the third thread about this weak console poo poo from the brown sea forums.

The first got locked, the second got sent to concern to die, and the third got completely wiped.

It seems they don't want the community to even discuss this. I wonder why?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was going to write a long effort post about how CIG could possibly get things done by focusing on SQ42 and then using that as a test bed for mechanics while they focused on writing a new engine for Star Citizen, but then I realized that I just don't give a flying gently caress anymore and it doesn't matter because Roberts is going to do whatever the gently caress he wants anyway.

Oh hey look we're nearly a month after CitizenCon and CIG still hasn't released a single loving thing about the game that was originally slated to be released this year.

CIG still hasn't released a single loving thing that supposedly got canceled 2 days before the Con but would have been ready if only they had a couple days more (on top of the 9 months they had to prepare for it). None of that poo poo they were still pondering if they could make it 48 hours before the Con is ready one month after the Con.

The whole Con and the Making of the Con, all of it is a bigger con. They never had anything to show, there was never any question of anything being ready to show at the Con. They weren't even close, even the smoke and mirrors are made up. Scamception.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 31, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No need.

This is the logical thing to do, that they should have done but for some reason never did.

When they released Arena Commander it looked like they were on the right path, kind of.

Somewhere along the way they forgot about the space ship part of the space ship game, and it's a mess today.

They've gone their own way, decided that they were above things like proper software engineering dogmas, above basic project management conditions, and this is the result of that.

They now just struggle to develop non-playable demo cutscenes in a busted engine so they can pretend to show progress to sell more expensive pre orders.

Anybody with sense can see the writing on the wall. The inevitable MVP prior to shuttering the company will be laughable and probably not much more than what people have now.

Some people are so lost they still think there's competition between SC and Elite, a game released in 2014, with fully developed out DLC already. I'm not even sure how they believe this is still a thing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

She's digging that hole deeper and deeper. Anyway, two can play that game. So I wrote a thing: https://goo.gl/Qi0TGg

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/793084218054238208

Yeah, I approve of your efforts to calm things down and point out that batgirl caused this stupid drama over nothing all by herself.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think it was originally slated to be released even further back.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Releasing squadron 42 on consoles would be a smart move if they could pull it off.

I too think it's a smart move, continuing with the pc development is the mistake.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MeLKoR posted:

CIG still hasn't released a single loving thing that supposedly got canceled 2 days before the Con but would have been ready if only they had a couple days more (on top of the 9 months they had to prepare for it). None of that poo poo they were still pondering if they could make it 48 hours before the Con is ready one month after the Con.

The whole Con and the Making of the Con, all of it is a bigger con. They never had anything to show, there was never any question of anything being ready to show at the Con. They weren't even close, even the smoke and mirrors are made up. Scamception.

Quite clearly they are saving it for the Anniversary Stream. You just don't understand open game development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AP posted:

I too think it's a smart move, continuing with the pc development is the mistake.

Honestly with current advances in console technology I don't see why they can't just release Star Citizen on console.

They could even throw in some console only features/gifts. :colbert:

• Locked thread