Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

What's up with portrait of Beatrice becoming that of the schoolgirl uniform version? Is it still supposed to be the classic painting of her in a dress to everyone else but the audience, or is Kinzo a fan of high school animes in this universe?

I like to think it's Beatrice loving with Battler in their weird hell dimension where they watch all of this go down, well that and to give the impression that she's a illegitimate heir to Kinzo. So she's just loving with everyone at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fabulousvillain posted:

I like to think it's Beatrice loving with Battler in their weird hell dimension where they watch all of this go down, well that and to give the impression that she's a illegitimate heir to Kinzo. So she's just loving with everyone at this point.

Maybe it's like one of those Haunted Mansion dual-image portraits, it changes from Elegant Victorian Dame to Schoolgirl Waifu With Butterflies depending on what angle you view it at.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I can't help but wonder if Natsuhi's insistence that Kinzo never had a mistress, nuh-uh, no way, is her projecting a bit. The rest of the adults take it for granted that Kinzo had someone on the side (or at least accept the possibility). But Natsuhi has really internalized the patriarchal values of the Ushiromiyas, where the woman's value is reduced to wife and mother, and she had a lot of difficulty getting pregnant. We've seen how insecure she is, so I wonder if the idea of Kinzo having a mistress cuts a little to close to home for her.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Viola the Mad posted:

I can't help but wonder if Natsuhi's insistence that Kinzo never had a mistress, nuh-uh, no way, is her projecting a bit. The rest of the adults take it for granted that Kinzo had someone on the side (or at least accept the possibility). But Natsuhi has really internalized the patriarchal values of the Ushiromiyas, where the woman's value is reduced to wife and mother, and she had a lot of difficulty getting pregnant. We've seen how insecure she is, so I wonder if the idea of Kinzo having a mistress cuts a little to close to home for her.

It's very likely, especially given how twice Krauss tries to shut her down during this conversation, and has shown that he kept things from her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well she also seems to respect Kinzo far more then anyone else on the Island. (After Genji and Nanjo at least.)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

October 4th, 1986, 10:00 PM

...Hideyoshi's claim that advertising doubled the taste was apparently right. The kids and Nanjo, who had been chased out to the guesthouse, had gathered in the cousins' room, and were eating the cake that Kumasawa had brought there for dessert. It was both wonderful and high-class, with lavish amounts of cream and decorated deliciously with fruits, but even though it was delicious, for some reason it didn't taste quite as good...

"Haha, without Gohda-san's advertising, it doesn't taste nearly as good."
"Even if we wanted advertising, Kumasawa-san'd just say that it's made out of mackerel."
"Uu-?! Really?! You can make cake from mackerel?!"
"Hoh-hoh-hoh-ho. Yes, yes, this cake too, if you cook with the squeezed juice of mackerel mixed in with flour and eggs, it comes out all fluffy. Hoh-hoh-hoh-ho."
"That would be incredible if true. Maybe mackerel cake will show up on the new menu at Father's store."
"Wah-hah-hah-ha! Because mackerel is full of nutrients and has a healthy image. It'll be really popular with women and old people! But I'm not gonna get anywhere near it!"
"Girls won't eat something that weird."
"Even old people would wish to decline."
"Hoh-hoh-hoh-ho! But it's delicious!"

BGM: Hour of Darkness

In the end, they ended up showering Maria with questions again, since she was the only person here to have met Beatrice.

"...I can't believe that story was true."
"From the way you say that you didn't believe, it sounds like this isn't the first time you've heard of this witch Maria says she met."
"...Yeah. I thought it was a pretty common fairy tale for people of that imaginative age."
"Exiiists!! Beatrice 'exiiiists'! Every year, when we come to the family conference, she meets with Maria, and we play together!"
"That's right. Although Beatrice-sama doesn't usually show herself, I hear that she sometimes unexpectedly does so before honest people with clean hearts. Hoh-hoh-ho."

Because the family and the servants publicly accepted the image of the witch of Kinzo's delusions to keep him in a good mood, the Rokkenjima fairy tale, or maybe ghost story, was formed... To the family members who knew those details, the fairy tale of the Golden Witch was only a vague thing. However, in front of Kinzo, they hadn't been able to say that. So those who didn't know the details... like young Maria, for example, it definitely wasn't vague, but a real legend of the witch.

So Maria believed in the legend of the witch. She swallowed the story. That was natural for an imaginative girl who believed in witches. So no one said anything to betray her dream. On the contrary, they had arranged things beforehand to get her excited about her dreams.

"...I have also acted in such a way two or three times, long ago, secretly placing sweets somewhere. Probably, Kumasawa-san too, no, all of the servants and all of the Ushiromiya family have done it once or twice."
"...So, if it will make a small, innocent kid happy, you sometimes plan it beforehand and place some sweets somewhere. Come to think of it, I'll bet you do that kind of thing all the time, right, George-aniki?"
"...Who knows."

Admitting that would probably be unrefined. George admitted it while being extremely wary that Maria didn't find out.

"In other words, it's kinda like Santa Claus. To protect a kid's dreams, the parents plot together and lie, setting presents at the bedside of a child fast asleep."
"...I want to protect a kid's dreams. Although I knew that Santa obviously didn't exist a long time ago. If it's a dream you don't need to be disillusioned of, I wanted to believe it my whole life."
"...Because they know that the world is tough, adults want to at least protect a child's clean dreams.
"Uu-!! Beatrice exists! 'Exiiiists'!!!"
"Yes, she does. Beatrice-sama does exist, right? Some time ago, when I was drying mackerel to make some black tea, unexpectedly..."

"In short, except for Maria, it's a witch that supposedly no one believed in."
"Those words don't quite explain it. ...It's not that we didn't believe. Everyone was trying to make her believe."

So this was about not betraying a child's innocence. But Santa doesn't exist in reality. If you don't want them to be all disappointed when they learn that, you should just not show them that dream in the first place. Did I think like that because I was still a long way from becoming a full adult?

Battler was finally getting an idea about the true form of the Rokkenjima witch. But in the current situation, that understanding had been revised, and that premise had been turned upside down...

"...That's what we thought we knew, but the witch Beatrice-sama actually appeared. Is that what this is? Furthermore, judging from our parents' uproar, it looks like she wasn't an invited guest. That sounds kinda interesting."
"There actually is no basis to say that a woman called Beatrice doesn't exist. It's what uncle Rudolf called a Devil's Proof. None of us knew that a woman calling herself Beatrice existed."
"...But that doesn't necessarily mean we can deny the possibility that Beatrice exists."
"...Doctor Nanjo, you've been friends with Grandfather for a long time, right?"
"...At one point, I heard a lot about it at the family conference from Krauss-san and the others. A story that, long before that time, perhaps Kinzo-san had a mistress, and a hidden child with her."
"I see. Our parents' heads are full with the distribution of the inheritance. So it's obvious that if the daughter of a mistress showed up, it'd be troublesome for them."
"Krauss-san and the rest probably asked Genji-san about it first. However, Genji-san has sworn loyalty to Kinzo-san as his right-hand man, ...and is probably a more trusted friend to Kinzo-san than myself. ...Genji-san probably didn't say anything. So next, they went to ask me as his old friend..."
"And? So, did Grandfather have a mistress called Beatice, Doctor Nanjo?"

BGM: Witch in Gold

"...She's dead. And did she have a child with him?"
"That, I do not know... But Kinzo-san always says that he is researching how to revive Beatrice. Usually, if one loses a mistress and has a child left from them. they pour all of that love on that child. Therefore, we naturally thought that there wasn't a child between Kinzo-san and Beatrice..."
"...Yeah? In other words, that also makes for a Devil's Proof."
"...It does. It's impossible to prove that a child between him and a mistress 'didn't exist'. So now that she's actually appeared, we have to assume that she does 'exist'."
"That's a bit of a rushed argument. It's more realistic that someone caught wind of the trouble with the Ushiromiya family inheritance problem, knew about Grandfather's relationship with a mistress long ago, and impersonated her, trying to get something out of the inheritance problem."
"...It is more realistic. However, we can't deny the possibility that she really is a hidden child, who lived in isolation, forgotten by Grandfather, and who's returned for revenge, right...?"
"Revenge?! What do you mean?!"
"Aaah, sorry, sorry... Guys just like to embellish things to make them sound interesting. I've seen too many weird dramas. Ihihihi!"

Normally, that should have been a light joke. But it had come when a mystery guest calling herself Beatrice, who no one had invited, had marched in on the day of the family conference, when the bloody argument which the inheritance distribution had become was being discussed. There was no way that Battler's joke would be welcomed with laughter. So it was a really big help when Nanjo laughed energetically to calm everyone down.

"Hah-hah-hah-ha... I see, I see, that does sound quite interesting. I should love to read a novel with a plot like that."
"Well, I don't think that could actually work. After all, right now, on this island, there's one, two, three... 18 people, right? If they did something weird, they'd immediately be caught. And thanks to the typhoon, they can't even leave the island. In other words, it really doesn't look like some crazy crime is gonna happen."
"...I agree. In a dead-end, without any way to escape, and in a situation where everyone is suspicous, I really don't think they could pull off a terrifying revenge drama like that."
"Probably. In that case, it would be more realistic if she had come in secret, without showing herself. You do not often hear about people appearing openly for revenge except in historical plays."
"I wouldn't be so sure about that? Revenge is based on emotion, not frickin' logic. Even if that's misplaced, maybe she isn't really afraid of the police or the number of people or that there's no way out."
"It's alright, Jessica-chan. Nothing as horrible as we imagine will happen."
"Ihihi! Like the battle royal between our parents over the inheritance isn't horrible."
"...That's right. Dad and uncle Rudolf are pretty tough, and auntie Eva's even trained in the martial arts. It's alright. Yeah..."

They acted like everything was good in front of the children, but when that pretense was lifted away, like it had been at dinner, it would become a tumultuous uproar. It was only natural that Jessica, realizing that, would be frightened that her father and mother had gotten into some kind of trouble, and were about to be sacrificed for something terrifying...

"Seriously. George-aniki's right. Nothing's gonna happen. Even if she pretends that she's a witch, what can a single human woman who can't even use magic do?"

BGM: Witch of the Painting

The sudden, creepy laugh made all of us jump. And when we realized that this strange laugh was coming from Maria, we were shocked again.

"...That's right. Battler, that's your perception, isn't it?"
"Wh, what is? Don't laugh all creepy like that."
"You accept Beatrice's existence for now. At least you accept her as the 19th person and a guest. But that's all, right? You don't accept that the 19th person, Beatrice, is a witch, right...?"
"You surprised us all for that? Of course I don't. Witches couldn't exist. It's impossible for it to be anything other than a human woman pretending to be one."
"...Kihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi. Hmmm...? Isn't that odd, Battler? That's a Devil's Proof, right? Witches couldn't exist? But just because Battler's never met a witch, doesn't mean you can deny that witches exist, right...?"
"...That's right. That really is right. I can't prove that witches don't exist. However, even if I can't prove it, I can claim it. I claim that witches don't exist."
"Why...? Why can you claim that witches don't exist even though you can't prove it...?"
"Because things like that don't exist."
"Kihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi! So, that's QED? You're finished proving it without any evidence or basis? Setting aside your own superficiality is typical of the ignorant. A reckless suspension of thought. Kihihihihihihihi...!"
"In that case, I have one answer, Maria. The witch's side has to show some proof themselves. This is another Devil's Proof. If you bring one, it'll be over quickly."
"...In our case, this woman calling herself Beatrice would only have to perform some magnificent magic, like sending out some sparkling stars with her wand or something, and show us something that's impossible for humans, right?"
"...Come now, you two. Please settle down..."

...It seemed as though Battler quickly realized that he wasn't acting like an adult. But Maria's expression didn't loosen. As she laughed creepily, she kept staring at Battler...

"You quit it too, Maria. Let's get back in a good mood, alright?"
"Kihihihihihihihihihihi, kihihihihihihihihihihihihi."
"..."

"...Sure. If she lets me have a look, I'll believe."
"It's a chess argument between the witch and you, Battler. If you get checkmate, you will believe in the witch."
"Oh, that's a stylish analogy. The witch shows her magic. My king is put into check. I quibble, saying that it would be possible to reproduce that by measures even a human could take, and my king escapes. And since if I couldn't do that, it'd be checkmate, that's a pretty good analogy."
"Battler. In chess, you and your opponent have pieces which move in the same way. So you can predict your opponent's moves."

"..."
"...But you know what? Sorry Battler, but your chess partner isn't human. She's a witch. She can move her pieces in ways that humans can't. Right now, your knowledge is wrong. Battler, you like auntie Kyrie's chessboard thinking, right?"
"...Yeah. I like that style of thinking where you stand in your opponent's position."
"And that's useless. Even though your opponent is a witch, you won't accept that. So you can't understand the moves a witch can make, and your chessboard thinking won't work. Your knowledge of your opponent is wrong. The very first premise of chessboard thinking is broken down."
"...Hoh, is that what you say?"

'Sonata' is one of Japanese's various second-person pronouns - a slightly strange one, rarely used in regular conversation and sounding excessively formal. Notably, it's one Beatrice likes to use.

BGM: Minute Darkness

"...I see. So, Shannon, have you ever met this person called Beatrice before?"
"...I don't know."

That was a slightly odd way to say it. I thought it didn't sound like she meant her memory was vague.

"...For us servants, Beatrice-sama is another master of this mansion. Some say something like we were influenced by the Master and spread that rumor... but since the time I started working here, the story of Beatrice-sama was already whispered about."
"I heard about it before. There was a servant who didn't respect her, was cursed, and actually had an accident."
"Yes... but it's true that some people believed more or less than others. I, umm, believe that respect for that sort of thing shouldn't be forgotten, so I have never doubted that she exists. I dimly believed that a... umm... uncertain being called the Golden Witch surely existed."
"...And then that witch whose existence was uncertain actually showed herself and appeared openly from the entrance hall... is that what happened?"

"When you brought her dinner, did you talk about anything?"
"...No, nothing."
"I see. Still, a witch that eats food somehow doesn't sound so realistic. Maybe it's just someone who knows about the witch legend on this island taking on Beatrice's name after all."
"...I think that you've probably come to respect Beatrice and think of her as something like a guardian god of the mansion. So when a person appeared actually calling themselves that, maybe you were a little disturbed."
"...That's right. I'm sure that might be the case."

George was slightly at a loss at what to do about Shannon's downcast appearance. Possibly, not just Genji, but the young servants had also been strictly questioned about whether they had a clue as to who this person called Beatrice was... Thinking that, he tried to somehow cheer her up.

Like Maria and Jessica, Shannon also had surely been unable to completely hide her agitation over the sudden visit of a person calling herself the Golden Witch. He thought that must be the case. But George probably had no technique of looking into Shannon's heart.

Shannon was bitter and sad. The door to the Golden Land... would be opened. The witch had definitely told her that. That meant the demise of everything. Even if she accepted the ring from George... now, they could never be married. No, in the first place... Did furniture like her have the right to be married? Even if the witch hadn't come to tell of their demise, wasn't it fated to fail sometime or another? Had she turned her gaze towards the fun days with George, and purposefully closed her eyes to the sad reality?

"George-san. What does it mean... to be engaged?"
"Huh?! Ah... err! It means making a promise to marry. But I think that means it's the same thing as marriage. Honestly, I want to take you as my wife right now, and take you back home. But right now, I am in the middle of training, and I'm still a long way from gaining the ability needed to create my own castle. That's why I want to stick out my chest for the first time since becoming an adult and take you home with me."
"I'm not talking about the distant future. I just want you to wait a short three years. But that doesn't mean I want to lie about our feelings for another three years."
"So, I decided to give you an engagement ring. That might be a shameful reason as a man. An engagement because I want you to wait, because I can't balance a wife and a job, might be shameful. But I will definitely-"

BGM: Hope

"O, of course not. An engagement ring isn't a simple accessory. It's an oath between lovers, an honored promise left in the form of a ring."
"...*giggle*. In that case, if we get married quickly, it would become unnecessary, right?"
"Th, then it won't be an engagement ring. I'll give it to you as a wedding ring. Either way, it won't change the fact that I'll give you a ring."
"So it's a sales contract, like saying 'This woman is mine, nobody touch her'."
"Nn, no, umm... that's not what I... *cough*."

...So, even if it was on purpose, he chose to answer a little roughly. He believed that that would be reassuring to Shannon.

"...No, that may be true. Sayo. I'll make you my wife. I won't give you to anyone else. I'll make you all mine. So no one will lay a hand on you. That's what this ring is. Without a doubt."
"Thank you very much, George-san. I'm truly, happy."

Then, George-san...

...Shannon tried to ask that, but she swallowed her words. Because George had already spoken the answer. George had said it. He had said that to him, an engagement ring was infinitely similar to a wedding ring. Therefore, accepting George's ring had a far more sacred significance than a promise to marry.

"Therefore... I will stop calling this an engagement ring. From now on, this isn't an engagement. It's a wedding ring."
"I... is that alright...? Is it alright to, umm, just proclaim that we're married without God's blessing...?"
"Yeah. It's enough to tell God, Father, and Mother about it afterwards. We'll claim that we are married. No one can cover that up."
"...George-san..."
"I'm not saying this because of a momentary emotion. I'm not just looking at how you are now. I'm looking at the you of tomorrow, of the next day. I'm even gazing at you as you'll be in old age, in the future, as I say this."
"...You are always telling me about that, George-san. About how you want to spend your old age slowly, surrounded by healthy children and grandchildren."
"Yeah. At that time, an older you will be beside me. That is what I say, no, what I foresee... Yes. Because that day will surely come."
"...Will it... surely come? ..."
"Yes. Surely. Definitely. ...And this ring proves it without words."
"...Please... show me."
"Huh? Ah, ah, ah, ...h, h, here it is...!"

George, thinking he was being told to show her the ring, hurriedly took out the ring box. Even though he had practiced so much, he hadn't been able to look cool. But Shannon wasn't looking at that. In her straight and direct gaze were vague tears and a smile.

"...Please... show me... that future."
"Y... yeah. I'll show you. Surely. I promise. And not just until old age. After we die too. Even if we become spirits, we'll always, always be together."

Shannon wiped away her tears and took the ring box. Inside was a diamond ring worthy of blessing the two of them. George said the line that he had practiced over and over again inside his head.

"I... I want you to put that ring on, whatever finger you like, and have that be your answer. Umm, so, by tomorrow morning..."
"...*giggle*."

It really had looked... like a very, very natural movement, and for a while, George was stunned...

"This, is my answer. George-san."
"Shannon... no, Sayo..."
"...Even if we become spirits, we'll always... always... be together... George-san."

There was no blessing from God, no pastor to witness, nothing. But the two who were married, proclaimed it.

Two souls were joined here today...

BGM: Worldend (solo)

"...Is that so?"
"Even though you're furniture... Even though... you're furniture...!"
"I'm not furniture. Not anymore."
"...Liar!! Why are you fooling yourself?! Even though you know that you can never become human! Even though you know that you can never become human unless you go to the Golden Land!! Even so, why did you throw away your promise to go to the Golden Land...?!!"
"Oh yeah. By accepting the ring, that promise with Beatrice-sama comes to nothing, doesn't it? *giggle*, sorry."
"...From now on, I, you, George-sama, the Master, everyone, everyone has the same conditions. 13 people will be made sacrifices. Only five people will be invited to the Golden Land. And you... rejected one of those places yourself..."
"That's odd. It looks like you're the one with regrets, Kanon-kun."
"You're the one with regrets, aren't you, Nee-san! You got engaged, right?! Even though you knew it was a fate that would never be fulfilled!!"
"Yes. I promised that we would always, always be together, for eternity. So you know what? In that instant, our eternity was completed. Even if we become sacrifices, it's already completed. So, it's alright."
"...Kanon, you're the one who actually has regrets. We're furniture, right? No matter what the result, we will be freed. In that case, it doesn't matter whether we go to Golden Land or not. And yet you are set on going to the Golden Land. ...You want to become human no matter what, right? Why?"
"Because I want to become human!! I've had enough of being furniture!!"
"Why?"

Tears were coming from both of Kanon's eyes. And he howled.

"...I, liked Milady...!! And after seeing Milady on that day, I started liking her even more...! And when I heard that Milady also liked me, I was really happy...!! But I'm furniture, and I can't accept Milady's feelings!!"
"...You're wrong. We may be furniture. We may be less than human... But that doesn't mean that we aren't qualified to love."
"I believed that if those thoughts would never be fulfilled, it was better without them!! I just decided that someday, a day would come when I would disappear, and that would definitely hurt her... no, that's wrong!! I was just frightened!! I... was just afraid, that if the love could not be eternal, it was better without it!!"
"...Cicadas, even though their lives last only a few weeks, fall in love and disappear. There are no cicadas that don't fall in love because it will be over in a few weeks."

It seemed that Kanon was still speaking of his regrets, but by now it was all jumbled up in his crying voice...

"...That witch is detestable...!! Why did she plant these feelings in me...?! If only, if only she hadn't done that weird prank, I wouldn't have payed Milady any notice...!!!"
"...Beatrice-sama is detestable. To make you cry bitter tears, she played games with your fate. But, the witch's expectations are probably off. After all-"

Knowing love isn't a regret that ties you to life. It is the place we should reach on our journey through life...

BGM: Melody (instrumental)

Well now. With this, the conditions for all of the pieces is the same. There are 18 pieces! 13 will be offered as sacrifices! Who will the five that remain alive be?

...Or. Will someone destroy this ceremony? Who?!! How?! Fuhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

You can frantically run from my advances, and make it a tie, an invalid match. Well, the best you can do is have this repeat on and on. And it probably won't be that difficult for you. However, this invalid match will continue forever, will eventually wear down your mind, and eventually kill it. At that time, you will accept your defeat and surrender to me!!

The reason I said it was a fair game... That is because the rules for my loss have also been established. There's nothing as boring as a game you can't lose, right? A way to defeat me. That is, the epitaph offered to my portrait.

I follow the epitaph and complete the ceremony. You solve the riddle of the epitaph, destroy the ceremony and overthrow me...! Solve the riddle hidden in the epitaph, and expose the location of the vast gold I gave to Kinzo!! What result will this game show us?!

I'm expecting a good fight, alright?

"...I have no objections. Natsuhi and I accept it."
"...Ku... I can't believe it, so I don't want to believe it, but... that is... the truth, isn't it..."
"...Natsuhi. Choose your words more carefully. She is the family's most honored guest."
"...I, I also accept it. No doubt."
"Yes. I accept it. Without even a scrap of a complaint. I can't believe it's real... I honestly have feelings of respect."
"Me too... Incredible. I genuinely respect that. So I have to accept it."
"I also accept that... I still can't believe it. But, what can I do? You've proven devils! It's your victory...!"

"...Don't torture me, witch. I already accept you. I resign."
"..."
"...Kyrie. Do you still have any objections...? I don't like it unless everyone's together. If you alone do not accept that I exist..."

As the witch laughed boldly, the siblings started getting frantic. They were afraid of displeasing the witch. Kyrie lightly closed her eyes, and after keeping silent for a while, opened her mouth.

"...I'm sorry. I resign."

Only Kyrie had faced the witch until the end with stern eyes. However, she had only held off a very short time, before accepting the truth. The truth, the being, that was before her eyes, couldn't be denied. Devils had already been proven...!

BGM: Ageha

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 31, 2016

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeet's get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuumble!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So this time Kumasawa, Nanjo, and Shannon are missing when they show everyone else. I wonder if it means something.

Also, are the mackerel "jokes" supposed to be funny? I do not get them.

Oh, and I'm not sure how Beatrice convinced the siblings she was a witch but the game in general is avoiding showing her doing actual witch stuff so that's consistent.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ProfessorProf posted:

"...But you know what? Sorry Battler, but your chess partner isn't human. She's a witch. She can move her pieces in ways that humans can't. Right now, your knowledge is wrong. Battler, you like auntie Kyrie's chessboard thinking, right?"
"...Yeah. I like that style of thinking where you stand in your opponent's position."
"And that's useless. Even though your opponent is a witch, you won't accept that. So you can't understand the moves a witch can make, and your chessboard thinking won't work. Your knowledge of your opponent is wrong. The very first premise of chessboard thinking is broken down."
"...Hoh, is that what you say?"

Creepy Maria does have a point here which exposes the entire flaw in the "flip the chessboard" logic- Battler's assuming it will reveal the opponent through their moves, but what if the opponent isn't playing chess, but checkers? Or Go or Shogi or what have you? The chess analogy only works if you consider things through the rules of chess, and Battler is clearly no chess player with the amount of times he's been caught in circular arguments. "Making different moves" is certainly something to expect, but Maria calls it magic when it's really cheating. When it's making up your own drat moves and saying you've won because no one realizes... which is pretty much what Beatrice has done all this game, hasn't she?

Or maybe she did something amazing in front of the siblings to make them, submit to her will... but people have been doing "amazing things" for fun and profit since time immemorial! I mean, look at her new picture now:

Black suitcoat, tie, fancy cane that's probably got a flash trick... all she needs is a top hat to pull rabbits out of and a deck of cards to make the image complete. I doubt Rudolf would have declared somebody an island spirit because they turned a napkin into a dove, though, so what gives?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

I never saw this profile until now, and something doesn't add up. Beatrice you know those boots and stockings don't go with that outfit, you gotta step your fashion game up if you want to win Battlers heart soul life here :nyd:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Fabulousvillain posted:

I never saw this profile until now, and something doesn't add up. Beatrice you know those boots and stockings don't go with that outfit, you gotta step your fashion game up if you want to win Battlers heart soul life here :nyd:

Quoting for agreement. At least fix the stockings, girl.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
It'd be pretty funny if BEATRICE ends up being one of the first six killed.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fabulousvillain posted:

"The stripe stocking help show that she is a classical witch. Without stripe stockings, how would you know she's a witch? Hence, stripe stockings = witch. QED, Battler."

_____/

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Creepy Maria does have a point here which exposes the entire flaw in the "flip the chessboard" logic- Battler's assuming it will reveal the opponent through their moves, but what if the opponent isn't playing chess, but checkers? Or Go or Shogi or what have you? The chess analogy only works if you consider things through the rules of chess, and Battler is clearly no chess player with the amount of times he's been caught in circular arguments. "Making different moves" is certainly something to expect, but Maria calls it magic when it's really cheating. When it's making up your own drat moves and saying you've won because no one realizes... which is pretty much what Beatrice has done all this game, hasn't she?

Or maybe she did something amazing in front of the siblings to make them, submit to her will... but people have been doing "amazing things" for fun and profit since time immemorial! I mean, look at her new picture now:

Well, yes and no. If his opponent actually is a witch and using magic, you're correct. But Battler is arguing that the murders are not being committed using magic, and thus his opponent is NOT, in fact, a witch. Ergo, she's still playing chess as opposed to something else, but she's trying her best to convince him otherwise.

Arguments regarding Battler seeming to be terrible at chessboard thinking do seem to be true, so far, regardless though, so that's right on the money.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

"The stripe stocking help show that she is a classical witch. Without stripe stockings, how would you know she's a witch? Hence, stripe stockings = witch. QED, Battler."

_____/

Theres no excuse for those boots though, a witch should be able to see that. :colbert:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fabulousvillain posted:

I like to think Beatrice snuck into the house, started rummaging through Jessica's clothes, and then ran out of time changing before she had to get into position to meet Kyrie.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Sure are a lot of fashion critical witch hunters about to get gouged and killed in this thread. :witch:

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Fabulousvillain posted:

She's the Golden Witch, not the Fashion Witch. :v:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

little_firebird posted:

She's the Golden Witch, not the Fashion Witch. :v:

Sure, but someone so vain wouldn't ruin an otherwise good outfit with such shoddy footwear. It's like smelting your gold along with dirt, yeah it's still worth something but you still ruined it. :argh:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Update: I just now learned how to make polsy links autoplay, so I'll be working for a while at updating all the links in the LP for easier BGM listening.

Should I do the same for video links, or are those better left to viewer discretion?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I would say leave them as they are.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Qrr posted:

Also, are the mackerel "jokes" supposed to be funny? I do not get them.

I think it's one of those "old people being deliberately unfunny" things. It crops up now and then in media on both sides of the pond.

I mean, I don't know if fish oil will make actually make frosting fluffier or not (someone get GWS on that), but basically it's a bunch of teenagers going "wow, old lady, we know it's healthy and you like slipping it into meals but that's loving vile ha ha ha".

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the stockings are there to accentuate her Sick Ink.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

In that case, I want it to be the sound of blood flowing through the body. I want it to be the sound of the blood circulating throughout my body, telling me that I am still alive...

The light entering through a crack in the curtain was faint, but it at least told him that dawn had broken. Kinzo, still acting like one who has just woken up, still sitting in a chair and looking up at the ceiling..., felt the blood slowly travel throughout his body...

...Judging by the clock, it was early morning, 6:00 on the dot. No matter how tired he was, no matter how deeply he slept, he woke up at exactly this time, as though he had measured it with an hourglass. He didn't think that something like this would lead him to boast, but he instructed himself that while he could still do something like this, he was still in robust health.

"...Morning has come, which means... hmmm. In any event, it seems that I've escaped being one of the first sacrifices. Was the result of the roulette fortunate, or is this the fruit of my efforts? It is irritating that I cannot tell the difference, but I will not say that."

Kinzo was very slightly driven by a temptation to see the outside of the study door. Because he thought that maybe, he might find the traces of a vain struggle to break the door, made by something trying to select him as one of the first six sacrifices.

So he wanted to check whether there was a wretched mark on the door. ...That's what humans would do. Therefore, Kinzo did not check. He repressed things that he wanted to do because he was human.By that, Kinzo could be immersed in a feeling of sufficiency, as though he himself had become a being that surpassed humans...

He became aware of human desire, and forbade it. Things that a human wanted to do, he resisted. This eccentricity and rebellious sense had surely given him a rare genius, which must have allowed him to succeed in his exploits as he revived the Ushiromiya family in one generation...

The servants woke early.
They had to open the curtains, prepare breakfast, and complete various other tasks to welcome the guests to a new day.

During the family conference, he had been told to especially concentrate his efforts on cooking, and he had been specially exempted from several tasks that servants normally must do. It seemed that Gohda, who was a show off, had a particular feeling of supremacy about that. He left the preparations of the inside of the mansion to Genji and the rest, and worked on preparing breakfast in the kitchen.

...Last year, the family conference had continued into the early hours of the morning. It wouldn't have been odd for this year's conference to continue until the early morning. Considering the possibility that they were still having a discussion inside, she knocked. But there was no response, so she opened the door and said good morning.

"...Good morning. Is anyone there?"

The room was cold, and it seemed that the conference had ended a long time before. On top of the table, there was a tea set, from which they had probably been drinking, arranged in a way that would make it easy to clean them up. Cleaning up the tea was a servant's job. So if the family was too caring and cleaned it up themselves, the servants would lose face. Therefore, just doing this much for the servants truly was a pleasing act of kindness.

As she approached the table to clean it, she noticed something like a memo that had been left with the utensils. It had been placed together with the tea set, so naturally thinking it was a memo for the servant cleaning up, Shannon took it. Written on it was not a request, nor was it thanks for preparing the tea. There was just a single word.

Shannon looked at it blankly, and read it out loud...

It was a sound that was normally worthless and boring. If only I could stop hearing it soon, then I could quickly return to my doze, someone thought vaguely. But no matter how much time passed, the sound did not end. It repeated over and over.

Aaah, shut up. Who is it? Banging on the door the whole time.

As soon as she noticed that, she woke up. Someone was knocking. Then she noticed that there wasn't just a knock, but a voice.

"...Rosa-sama... Rosa-sama. Good morning."

It had been Genji's voice. Looking at the clock, it was still before 7:00. It was clearly too early to wake the guests... Did something happen that was bad enough to cause this? She felt her sleepiness increasingly fade thanks to this premonition of misfortune.

Because Genji had been a familiar servant to Rosa since her childhood days, even though she was slightly defenseless in her pajamas, she opened the door a crack and answered.

"Good morning. I apologize for waking you this early."
"...Did something happen?"
"Yes... Actually, at the chapel..."

Genji spoke into Rosa's ear, and told her something in a small voice.

Rosa closed her door for a second, and after changing her clothes, she immediately accompanied Genji and they headed to the mansion...

It had been built at the same time that the mansion had been constructed on Rokkenjima, so while its outside walls had been repaired many times, making it look new from the outside, it was a very old building.

Rosa dashed through the rain along with Genji. Just like the previous night, the rain was falling in earnest. Eventually, they began to see the chapel beyond a thin grove...

However, it seemed that in Kinzo's eyes, this was a very sacred place, so Rosa and her siblings had been harshly told not to approach it unnecessarily. So even though they had grown up, they would feel some guilt if they approached the chapel, no matter what the reason, and felt some fear, as though their Father would get angry and hit them in the face...

Which meant that all of the servants on the morning shift had gathered. A short while ago, Genji had spoken to Rosa, telling her what the situation was. However, without laying eyes on it directly, she really hadn't been able to understand it...

Probably, all of the servants gathered there were the same. Without seeing it with their own eyes, they couldn't understand what had happened.

SFX

BGM: Corridor of the Sands of Purgatory

"Wh... what is... this... When was it written?!"

The servants looked at each other. Gohda was the first one to open his mouth.

"...M... my apologies. We do not usually enter here, so we do not know when it was written."
"Then, who was the first person to find it?!"
"Y, yes, it was me... When I went to the dining hall to clean up the tea set, there was a memo with 'chapel' written on it..."

Shannon held out the memo with a shaking hand.

"...Whose handwriting? It isn't Nii-san's or Nee-san's handwriting. And then, you came here, and found this, right?"
"Yes..."
"...Rosa-sama... look at this."

Kanon pointed at a single line of English written below the creepy magic circle. Until it had been pointed out to her, she had thought it was just another part of the magic circle, and hadn't noticed it.

BGM: Witch of the Painting

Happy Halloween... for Maria.
A wish for an enjoyable Halloween. For Maria.
This creepy magic circle. For Maria.
Happy Halloween.

Yesterday, the only person who had said Happy Halloween to Maria... This symbol matched. The Golden Witch, Beatrice...!

"...My apologies. We just now realized that Maria-sama's name was written here. We still have not checked. Quickly-"
"What are you doing?!! I'll go check on Maria and come back! Then, I'll tell Krauss nii-san and the rest. After that, we'll follow their instructions!"

...After saying that much, Rosa finally noticed a feeling of discomfort. Her own rank of this family conference was the lowest of the four siblings.

...Even if Maria's name had popped up.

"Could it be... huh? Huh?!"
"...Y, yes. We tried to contact Krauss-sama, but could not find him..."
"And Madam was not in her room. Judging by the condition of the sheets, maybe she didn't return to her bed at all last night."

Rosa felt something creepy crawling slowly up her back...

"...D... did you try to check inside the chapel?"
"No, not yet. We tried to check inside, but..."

She didn't want to get closer to the door with the creepy magic circle if she could. Rosa readied herself and approached, and tried pushing and pulling the knob. All she felt was the resistance of the sturdy lock.

"We search to see whether there was a window through which we could enter, but...I think that, in order to check inside, we would have to break one of the windows... What do you think?"
"...There's no way I can give you approval to do that. It's Father's precious chapel, I can't do something like that."

At that time, the events of the previous day swirled around in the back of Rosa's mind...

That's right, there's no mistake, she had handed it over. When Maria tried to open it, that witch told her not to open it yet, then she surely said, "The time to open that will come soon"...

Rosa was sure. There could be no mistake. That letter which had been handed to Maria...

From the inside, she could hear the healthy snores of young people. There were four children. And Maria was there. Sleeping soundly. After feeling relieved, she entered the room with quiet footsteps.

She was after Maria's handbag, which was resting on the sofa. Maria always liked walking around with her treasures. She was probably imitating how her mother always carried her makeup with her. Of course, she was just copying her, so on the inside, it was full of junk. In Maria's case, it was full of small, creepy, occult-like items, and a notebook with things like that written on it.

Rosa hadn't been happy once to see her daughter walking around with those kinds of things, which were not girlish. However, after she tried to force Maria to stop, they had gotten into a big fight, and she had decided to let it be.

A western envelope with the crest of the gold eagle... When she tried to take it out, she realized that there was a heavy, cylindrical object inside. She could tell by its feel and its weight. There was no doubt. This was... a key.

After turning around and checking that Maria was still sound asleep, Rosa tore open the envelope, and the contents spilled out into her palm.

...It seemed that Battler noticed that sound, but after grumbling and turning over in his sleep, he started snoring again...

"Where did you... Yes, this is the key to the chapel."

Rosa approached the creepy magic circle once again, and put the key in the keyhole. There was a strong resistance. After it resisted for a short while, it stopped resisting with a clunk. Then, squeaking with a noise that hurt one's ears, it slowly, slowly began to open...

:siren:Video: Happy Halloween:siren:

BGM: Lure

Her voice reverberated throughout the massive room. Of course, there was no answer. The chapel had a high ceiling, and the air was cold. And even on this rainy, unsettling day, for some reason, it felt sacred...

The servants timidly followed after Rosa.

"...Rosa-sama, look at that."

Kanon noticed it immediately, and pointed.

In the place where normally a pastor would preach of God's love, there was a table that shouldn't have been there.

And there were people seated at the table. Three people on each side facing each other, seated in chairs.

But if someone told you that, you'd still have to go even closer and check. Because they seemed almost like dolls.

Rosa and the rest had opened the door, entered all at once with the sound of many footsteps, and called out, asking if anyone was there. And yet, there had been no reaction. Even if Rosa and the rest assumed that they were being ignored, normally you'd expect there to be some kind of reaction. And there hadn't even been that. So at first, it felt like someone had set down some dolls that looked a lot like them...

...By now, it wasn't just Rosa. Shannon and Kanon, and even Gohda. They were all fighting frantically with the creepy emotion that grasped their hearts.

As she climbed up to the altar, she called out again, but still, the others gave no reaction. Yes, by now, Rosa had accepted it. They were not dolls, she accepted that they were those very people...!

"...This is..."
"..."

They neared the distance at which they would be able to clearly see what was on the table. Just like their first impression, it looked like a lovely banquet, reminiscent of a child's birthday party. Plates piled up with sweets, glasses with lovely drinks. Several ornaments in the shape of pumpkins...

In front of that table, they were seated, and looked like they were sleeping... It was an eerie scene, as though a small, fun-looking Halloween party had been stopped in time...

"...They're all... sleeping...?"

When she approached even closer to them, she realized that candies were scattered all over the floor. They were all candies, cookies, sodas and chocolates, with very fantasy-styled wrappings... And they were all distributed across the carpet, which was covered with blackberry and cranberry jam...

BGM: Red Dread

Rosa and the rest... finally realized what the situation was... It was, a Halloween party. A banquet for those not of this world...!

Krauss, Natsuhi, Eva, Hideyoshi, Rudolf, and Kyrie, six people in all, were seated in the chairs, dead as though they were sleeping. How could you tell that they were dead and not simply sleeping?

"K... Krauss-sama...!! Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...!"
"...How... cruel..."

The six of them were seated at a Halloween party, all of them with their stomachs sliced open, all of them had been killed. Was the jam that covered the floor, something that they couldn't finish eating... which had overflowed out of their stomachs...?

No!! The contents of their stomachs had been thrown out across the floor!! And that wasn't all. From their stomachs, almost as though... almost as though! As though they had poured out!! S... sweets!

SFX

What could have happened to cause this?! It was almost as though the insides of their stomachs had been stuffed full with sweets, and when their stomachs had been cut, it had all flowed out?!!

When it had been cut with a knife, from the inside, things she loved, but which she had not heard about at all... bright-red, bright-red... ketchup omelet-rice had poured out like blood-stained maggots, buwaa, dripping, slimy, pulpy, sticky!!

"Uweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Eeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!"

The trauma of her youth was revived. Rosa felt a monster raging inside her stomach, as the acid started to rise up. Unable to hold back, she threw up on the floor. Her empty stomach couldn't throw up anything but stomach acid. This scene in front of her was no longer a fun Halloween party...!

Many sweets had been stuffed in there, pulpy, squishy. Blood and guts and sweets were overflowing onto the floor... bloodstained, sticky, sticky, sloppy, pulpy, sweet candy stuck to each finger, gummy, gummy, aaah, but it's stained with their entrails, sloppy, pulpy! What was that I stepped on just now, that didn't feel like a candy or a cookie or soda or a chocolate! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'm scared what did I step on I can't even look at the bottom of my foot!! Aaaaaawaaaakiiiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! What a, what a gruesome Halloween Party...!!!

From far away, it looked really beautiful, fantastical, and fun. And when you see it up close, it's really terrible, disgusting, and yet somehow beautiful...!!

Rosa's wild thoughts tried as best they could to escape her throat with a loud voice that was neither a scream nor a roar...

"...Krauss-sama..."
"...This is... horrible... horrible..."
"...A, ambulance... police...!"
"Th, that's right, police... Police, police police police police!!"

If a word tied to reality, like police, hadn't come out of Gohda's mouth, Rosa and the rest would probably still be unable to escape this nightmarish party. But that wasn't because they thought that the police might be able to do something. If they didn't say police, police out loud, it seemed that another seat would be set up at this demon's party and given to them...!! It felt like their own stomachs were getting uncomfortably filled from the inside!! Rumbling, churning... it was surely because candy was starting to overflow from their stomachs!! Rosa was again tortured by a desire to vomit, and threw up her stomach acid on the floor. And then she searched. To see whether there was any candy mixed in!!

Rosa coughed violently again, and violently spat up the stomach acid that burned her throat. She realized that by now, her whole body had been covered in filthy sweat...

"G, Genji-san, Shannon-chan, please ask Father for instructions. Gohda-san, go together with Kanon-kun and call the police. Then, have Doctor Nanjo come here..."

Why even bring Doctor Nanjo here? It's way too late for medical care...!

The servants accepted their orders and dashed outside.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
HAPPY HALLOWEEN, THREAD! You have no idea how long I've been planning ahead to time this post.

Your Halloween present is an updated profile page, and a reminder that we are now going to be slowing down to MWF updates until my backlog recovers.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, THREAD! You have no idea how long I've been planning ahead to time this post.

Your Halloween present is an updated profile page, and a reminder that we are now going to be slowing down to MWF updates until my backlog recovers.

<HAPPY HALLOWEEN>

What a delightful scene the witch has prepared for you this fine day. A trick and a treat. Perhaps you have already seen how such a murder would be impossible for a human...?

Anyways, Prof really busted his butt, not to mention his wrists, getting this update out on time, so everyone give him a big thank you for his efforts in Ironic LP Timing.

Sucks that were gonna have to slow down now though, since the first half of Episode 2 is absurdly slow, and if episode 1 is anything to go by, things are about to get ...interesting.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Christ almighty, those people were Mr. Creosoted.

...You know, Maria actually will loving love this.

quote:

So he wanted to check whether there was a wretched mark on the door. ...That's what humans would do. Therefore, Kinzo did not check. He repressed things that he wanted to do because he was human.By that, Kinzo could be immersed in a feeling of sufficiency, as though he himself had become a being that surpassed humans...

He became aware of human desire, and forbade it. Things that a human wanted to do, he resisted. This eccentricity and rebellious sense had surely given him a rare genius, which must have allowed him to succeed in his exploits as he revived the Ushiromiya family in one generation...

I'm feeling some unsettling parallels here in the way both Kinzo and Beatrice seem to spend a lot of their time sneering at weak, pathetic, human things. Maybe that alienation is part of the price of magic. That, or maybe some numinous gravitational force of shitheadedness drew the two together like black holes orbiting each other and griping about the normies :shrug:

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 31, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
HA 👏 PPY 👏 HA 👏 LLO 👏 WEEN

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
:spooky: :toot: <Happy Halloween for Maria> :witch: :spooky:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh. ...Oh.

:stare:

I had wondered if there was a reason he wanted to get to this point on this day, and... hell, I got my answer, didn't I? Beatrice, or the person posing as her, is a loving psychopath. :gonk: Good thing Maria didn't find this first, because you know she would have gone straight to that table and started playing and eating... you do not eat things in blood and guts, Maria, that's how you get diseases!

So, six people chosen again, in a much more detailed manner than last time. And once again, the one I'm most suspicious of is Genji- he didn't really do anything to control the situation, but every other servant with them showed strong emotion to seeing their masters die, but he's just as calm as ever. It might be because he's just that good at being the Butler's Butler, but these bodies weren't just killed, but mutilated in a horrible manner*; you'd think that would get as reaction from anybody, something! So I'm still suspicious of you, old man, I've got my eye on you!

And speaking of old men, that's a really interesting scene with Kinzo in the beginning, not only with his dismissal of humanity but... does he remember what happened last time? Is he able to remember past iterations of this ritual, as no one else can, somehow?

Oh my god... how long has this family been at this? :tinfoil:

*and no, I'm not loving saying that they were ensorcelled to death; I'll give the fella points for authenticity as throwing up things that couldn't have hot into the body, like frogs or stones or pins, are traditional indicators of witchcraft, but before anyone says magic you'd better show me the medical exam first :colbert:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

resurgam40 posted:

*and no, I'm not loving saying that they were ensorcelled to death; I'll give the fella points for authenticity as throwing up things that couldn't have hot into the body, like frogs or stones or pins, are traditional indicators of witchcraft, but before anyone says magic you'd better show me the medical exam first :colbert:

Well, I mean. Whatever murderer was involved had plenty of loving time in the night to make the scene as lovingly crafted as possible. Enough time and dedication can make anything look like it happened in an instant even if it didn't.

I'd honestly suspect Rosa if she wasn't busy being our viewpoint and losing her lack of lunch.

:unsmigghh: happy halloween for maria :unsmigghh:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I don't know what's better. This Happy Halloween treat, or that reading the updated bios in order forms a message that flows together perfectly.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
<Happy HALLOWEEN>

What a lovely gift from Beatrice. :witch:

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
<:spooky: HAPPY HALLOWEEN :spooky: FOR GOONS>

good luck working this one out, everyone. I can't wait to see you all give up and submit to the Witch. :unsmith:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

I don't know what's better. This Happy Halloween treat, or that reading the updated bios in order forms a message that flows together perfectly.

Wow, I never noticed that before. What the correct order?

oath2order fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 31, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

oath2order posted:

Wow, I never noticed that before. What the correct order?

If you meant to quote SardonicTyrant there, it's left to right, row by row:

Welcome, Maria. Happy Halloween.
See, didn't I tell you? Bellies are full of candy.
Everyone has a belly that's full of sweat dreams.
A belly could never be full of disgusting things.
That's why we want to be simple and sweet like candy.
So this dreamland is for you. Happy Halloween.

The profiles are organized roughly in the same layout as they are on the in-game profiles screen.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

<HAPPY HALLOWEEN> :catstare:

For some reason I remembered this happening the first time. I was rather puzzled when it didn't, as you can imagine.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
<HAPPY HALLOWEEN>, Everyone!

Is this a treat, created by magic, or a trick, created by humans? I suppose that's something you decide for yourself.

...That said, the one who did this certainly went all-out in their theming, huh? It adds an element of...surprise.

Nice work getting to this point, Prof!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Ever since the first <HAPPY HALLOWEEN>, I've been stuck in my seat, screaming in fear.

I'm still screaming now.

How spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ProfessorProf posted:

A belly could never be full of disgusting things.

God, tell that to the taste of bile I couldn't get rid of for about half a week after my gallbladder got removed.

D3m3 posted:

Is this a treat, created by magic, or a trick, created by humans?

Well, I mean, six people are still dead. I don't think that's much of a treat for anyone except Beatrice, Kinzo, and maybe Rosa being the only adult heir of Kinzo's left currently.

• Locked thread