Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I like how when I filter for servers with 1-5 free slots only, the server browser will still show me servers with 5+ people in the queue. :dice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

psa: if you're a squad leader never stop blowing

lmao no wonder their attack fails, they're all playing scout

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Super 3 posted:

What's everyone favorite support gun early on?

Benet Mercie is a fantastic gun. Looking forward to trying a BAR later on, but until then this gun is incredibly versatile and can handle any combat situation well. I love it.

Lewis guns are poo poo (sadly).

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Dreyvas posted:

I've done all that (and pretty much everything in the Reddit performance thread) to no effect. Ugh.

I've got a 1070 and a three year old midrange processor and I'm pushing solid 60 at 1080p on ultra. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble friend.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dreyvas posted:

I've done all that (and pretty much everything in the Reddit performance thread) to no effect. Ugh.

I'm still not fixed but the most effective thing for me was changing my res in game from 1440p/144hz to 1080p/60hz and then locking my variable FPS in the user.cfg to 60. This at least makes the game playable without nausea inducing FPS shifts. Also, for some strange reason the game seems to run better by selecting a graphics preset (high, etc) after resetting video options.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I've got a 1070 and a three year old midrange processor and I'm pushing solid 60 at 1080p on ultra. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble friend.

That's the frustrating thing and also why I assume this will be patched. People with same or worse specs are having no issue at all.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give that a shot. I am really hoping for a patch as well.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Oh my loving god how do you break into San Rocco this is impossible

Because it bears repeating, a step by step guide on how to beat "All of Austria in a bunker":

1. Blow the doors away. Dynamite, limpets, rocket guns, AT grenades. Hell, on some you can park a light tank outside the entrance and shell the door.
2. Throw in smoke. This is important because blinding the defenders by flooding the bunkers with smoke makes it very hard for them to grenade-spam the entraces without accidentally blowing up themselves.
3. Throw in some frags and/or dynamite.
4. Just loving Cadorna it. Rush through the smoke en masse and clear out the place in an ugly brawl. Medics and Assaults are the key here.

Needs a bit of teamwork, though. Us Mumble Goons have been pulling it off regularily by now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

psa: if you're a squad leader never stop blowing

ah... they're playing the secret version where MGs actually dont suck :mrgw:

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

It appears my i5-2500K is at 95 ~ 99% utilization the entire time I'm playing, is this to be expected with that chip?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Turn off Origin in-game, DX12, and you might want to try windowed borderless.

DX12 in this game is pretty miserable and I wouldn't recommend using it.

Does DX12 get you any additional eye candy?

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I've cycled it on and off, didn't notice any difference.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Magni posted:

Because it bears repeating, a step by step guide on how to beat "All of Austria in a bunker":

1. Blow the doors away. Dynamite, limpets, rocket guns, AT grenades. Hell, on some you can park a light tank outside the entrance and shell the door.

This only works on the door that isn't a 90 degree turn. The area outside is also small enough that you can only get a light tank in that position.

glassbottle
Aug 15, 2003
Witty one-liner.
I would like this game a lot more if it didn't crash all the time. Just random 'Battlefield 1 has stopped working' errors.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ark posted:

It appears my i5-2500K is at 95 ~ 99% utilization the entire time I'm playing, is this to be expected with that chip?

Yep, it appears to be normal on any i5. My office is about 7 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Kaddish posted:

Yep, it appears to be normal on any i5. My office is about 7 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

Yep, I gotta open the window in my nerd cave if I play for longer than an hour :btroll:

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 31, 2016

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

My medals for this weeks rotation are literal hell. Melee kills, Cav kills, War pidgeon and domination and vehicle kills. Going to be a fun week of trying to get those fuckers finished.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

TwatHammer posted:

My medals for this weeks rotation are literal hell. Melee kills, Cav kills, War pidgeon and domination and vehicle kills. Going to be a fun week of trying to get those fuckers finished.

At least your medals have rotated instead of getting stuck in the previous week's. :(

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Magni posted:

2. Throw in smoke. This is important because blinding the defenders by flooding the bunkers with smoke makes it very hard for them to grenade-spam the entraces without accidentally blowing up themselves.

Flash flares are also great for this.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

TwatHammer posted:

War pigeon is easy man I'll play with you if you need someone to cover your back.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

TwatHammer posted:

I found the melee one piss easy, just focus on your melee rush kills and it'll come quickly.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

TwatHammer posted:

War Pigeon and Domination are piss easy, I did them solo with no trouble.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Oh no doubt, domination and pigeon are easy, but the melee and cav kills are my bain, now i need to get 3 in 1 life and gently caress me is that next levels of hell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Magni posted:

3. Throw in some frags and/or dynamite.
4. Just loving Cadorna it. Rush through the smoke en masse and clear out the place in an ugly brawl. Medics and Assaults are the key here.

Needs a bit of teamwork, though. Us Mumble Goons have been pulling it off regularily by now.

Well that explains why we fell apart so miserably, none of us realized step 2 would be cool and good

Thanks for spelling it out for dumbass me :(

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

TwatHammer posted:

Oh no doubt, domination and pigeon are easy, but the melee and cav kills are my bain, now i need to get 3 in 1 life and gently caress me is that next levels of hell.

The way I got melee kills was by running scout with smoke grenades and the blinding flare. I spammed them into a point before bayonet charging and then running around swinging my club until I got three kills. It took one game to get it.

Another way to kill all of Austria in a bunker is to just spam the poo poo out them with incendiary grenades, and if you can post a support with an MG15 on the offensive side of the murderhole you can usually secure a healthy amount of kills on the guys watching the door before they get you.

Kyuzo
Aug 14, 2002

Commoners posted:

At least your medals have rotated instead of getting stuck in the previous week's. :(

Try restarting Origin. I just did this and it seems to be working now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

These stupid medals are awful. The support one requires you to get 10 suppression assists and resupplies, but squad suppression assists and squad resupplies apparently don't count? Cool. And it's really hard to get 5 kills in one life as a support when grenades and mortar kills don't count.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

The mid ranged scoped MP-18 with the three round burst is quite a game changer for the Assault too.

I took your advice with this gun and think I found "my" assault gun until I get the Hellreigel. The red dot scope on the MP18 is a really good time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

il serpente cosmico posted:

No it doesn't, nor does it in any game right now. DX12 and Vulkan are more about developers having direct control than fancy new effects.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 31, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

super macho dude posted:

I took your advice with this gun and think I found "my" assault gun until I get the Hellreigel. The red dot scope on the MP18 is a really good time.

You'll get a lot of pubbies eagerly rushing you mid range thinking you got the default or trench version of the MP-18.

The fools :getin:.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Kaddish posted:

I just tried that auto.cfg troubleshooting step in the Reddit thread and I'm now running at about 70% CPU utilization and I've been able to jack the graphics up to a reasonable level. You might want to give it a go if you haven't.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ark posted:

I just tried that auto.cfg troubleshooting step in the Reddit thread and I'm now running at about 70% CPU utilization and I've been able to jack the graphics up to a reasonable level. You might want to give it a go if you haven't.

You mean user.cfg? Yeah, I've tried that with various settings and it's helped a little but even locked at 60 I'm still hitting 30 fps sometimes. On some maps my guess is my average fps is in the 40's.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

super macho dude posted:

If you are ADSing with assault you are doing it wrong.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ark posted:

Oooh, what's this now?

I noticed my i5 3550 (which I admit is an older chip but still pretty fast) is maxing out its cores.

Also, is DX12 going to give me any performance improvements on a GTX 970 over DX11? Cause I'll just go back to DX11.

EDIT: Found the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/57nh6y/bf1_performance_tips_for_pc_potentially_huge_fps/

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 31, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

AnElegantPeacock posted:

You kind of have to with the hellriegel, alas

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Bohemian Nights posted:

You kind of have to with the hellriegel, alas

How are you level 10 assault already? Do you sleep? Have a job? Any obligations at all?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

AnElegantPeacock posted:

How are you level 10 assault already? Do you sleep? Have a job? Any obligations at all?

If you spent all your playtime in one class only it's not unreasonable to be level 10, as boring as that would be.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AnElegantPeacock posted:

My prediction: A little. No. One class a week.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I'm usually #1 in every match I play so I get a lot of points, and it only took like 5 or 6 hours of grinding with the automatico, so yeah

e: also if you steal a vehicle while spawned as a different class you get score for the spawned class, not the vehicle- so if you're grinding something terrible like support, just jump into that perfectly fine tank that's just a little bit on fire and boost your class score a ton

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

AnElegantPeacock posted:

It really doesn't take that long unless your spm is garbage.