Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Demiurge4 posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the land fort tanks? The mortar version is meh but I've had a few great runs on the squad support version. As the driver you have both a forward and rear facing machine gun, there's two cannons with a great field of fire and two machine gun turrets on the side. If you drive smart you can absolutely dominate objectives and I've even taken out heavy tanks solo by switching between the cannons and turning the tank between shots.

Everyone seem to drive the light tank but it doesn't seem nearly as much of a game changer.

I tried the landship tank. I felt it was pretty difficult to do anything with since the mortar seemed to do negligible damage on infantry. The side cannons were usually occupied by idiots who tried to shoot down planes or just waste ammo.

I like the heavy tank better. It gives me full control of its main offensive capabilities and the random pubbies spawning on you have to use the mgs, and they are quite useful for covering your rear end. It seems that the mere indication of mgs firing keep any enterprising dynamiters away. I tend to wade in where the fighting is thickest, kill off enough enemies to help my team advance. As soon as I'm under 40 hp, I usually pop the smoke and retreat for repairs. If I had a particularly good run on one spot on the map I like to retreat to another for a bit to avoid ambushes.
Tank to tank i usually feel the heavy tank has an edge against every other tank, also the landships because the chance of meeting a coordinated crew inside one of those is slim to none. I often see the driver frantically trying to spin his tank to allow his turrets to shoot at me but they are more interested in nailing snipers across the map.

Oh and if you are lucky, you meet a totally moronic enemy team with nothing but snipers and medics (!). I did 28:0 K/d in one round of operations on fao fortress. It was a massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

My problem with the landship is how easy the spontoons can be disabled. One good shot from a heavy tank, howitzer light tank, or anti-tank grenade and that side is completely defenseless. Your side gunners are completely blind to anything too far behind you as well, so even if you have voice comms, they can only help you so much. The tank hunter variant perhaps is the fastest DPS tank you can get, but god forbid anyone gets a little too far past your sides.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The horses are garbage, what is even the point of them

You hop on a horse and your profile becomes huge and the entire map tries to shoot you while you flail your stupid sword at people and miss 70% of the time

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, finally broke down and bought this. So far I've been shooting people with the shotty you get from paying an extra :10bux:, Bayoneting an idjit, and sniping some dope with my AT rifle.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

You hop on a horse and your profile becomes huge and the entire map tries to shoot you while you flail your stupid sword at people and miss 70% of the time

Yeah, they nerfed the horsedude pretty dang severely.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Oooh, what's this now?

I noticed my i5 3550 (which I admit is an older chip but still pretty fast) is maxing out its cores.

Also, is DX12 going to give me any performance improvements on a GTX 970 over DX11? Cause I'll just go back to DX11.

EDIT: Found the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/57nh6y/bf1_performance_tips_for_pc_potentially_huge_fps/

Wow, this actually makes the game playable on my 560ti. Thanks!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
My medals resetted today and among my new selection are two medals I previously had.

For the medal I previously had and which I didn't finish, progress was kept.

For the medal I previously had and finished, the medal is in the rotation but already finished (obviously).

Edit: Disregard, it's a GUI bug. Progress wasn't saved after all. :smith:

Randler fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 31, 2016

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

jokes posted:

These stupid medals are awful. The support one requires you to get 10 suppression assists and resupplies, but squad suppression assists and squad resupplies apparently don't count? Cool. And it's really hard to get 5 kills in one life as a support when grenades and mortar kills don't count.

Need to run in a squad with a medic or two and let them know what you're doing. I did this for the 5 medic kills in one life, it wasn't easy but if someone knows up front they can be your pocket medic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

IronDoge posted:

My problem with the landship is how easy the spontoons can be disabled.

I found your problem, your going into battle with half pike staffs on the side of your tank!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
There needs to be more funny gifs in this thread so I can laugh at work.

I'll probably be getting this shortly, but real life is keeping me from bayoneting fuckers. Well, that, and I want the driver patches and game patches to smooth out some of the issues hopefully a bit more.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Hey, I can't find a straight answer anywhere, but is anyone running Windows 7 happen to have an answer for how to turn DX12 off (assuming it's on in the first place)? I want to see if that'll give my system a good FPS boost.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Jumpoff posted:

Hey, I can't find a straight answer anywhere, but is anyone running Windows 7 happen to have an answer for how to turn DX12 off (assuming it's on in the first place)? I want to see if that'll give my system a good FPS boost.

I don't think Windows 7 supports DX12.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Jumpoff posted:

W7 does not support DX12.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Prism posted:

Prism posted:

Cool, don't have to worry about that then! Thanks guys.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Zzulu posted:

I always get stuck on random crap. I went to a ridge edge and thought I'd just get the horse to jump down. But it wouldn't. Then it would not reverse, so I was totally stuck.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Fairfight kicks/bans about twenty people every time I play a game. Are there just insane cheaters all over the place and I'm not the shittiest scrub that ever struggled to put on a gas mask and grenaded himself?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Fairfight kicks/bans about twenty people every time I play a game. Are there just insane cheaters all over the place and I'm not the shittiest scrub that ever struggled to put on a gas mask and grenaded himself?

I believe those messages are for all servers, not just the one you're on.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Played goddamn TDM to get that sweet skull dogtag. Progress resets out of the blue. This system is terrible.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Welp, just found another method for clearing the Monte Grappa bunker: Have the airship get shot down above it.

Of course, most of the Italians got crushed as well. Cadorna would be proud.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GyverMac posted:

I tried the landship tank. I felt it was pretty difficult to do anything with since the mortar seemed to do negligible damage on infantry. The side cannons were usually occupied by idiots who tried to shoot down planes or just waste ammo.

Agreed. Land ship is pretty notgood and most importantly, you are wasting a valuable tank slot that's not Heavy Tank or even Arty truck. I've had decent success on Mt Grappa by going Tankhunter and shooting the zeppelin for several minutes in the back since it has like no fall off. But it's still pretty bad.

I wish they had gone with a BC2 system where tanks spawn in base with set amounts and types so they could balance maps around that's available armor wise. That way you could have Landships being more useful as they wouldn't compete with a valuable Heavy Tank making it a bad thing to take.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Not a tank, but in conquest with lots of plane like Sinai desert I like to get the AA truck. It shuts down enemy planes hard and is decent against infantry and annoying other vehicles.

Tanking with friends I always get the mortar landship. It has massive firepower. Good ultilty with the mortar. It can take out field gun from safety, harrass enemy while your gunner repairs you (kill the enemy support trying to do the same), all while keeping an eye out of your surrounding with the shell cam.

I feel the tank hunter landship is a bit of an overkill, but if the enemy team is running rampant with 3 tanks and you need to kill them all with this one tank spawn then tank hunter does it well. The AT rifle is quite good in conquest since it can one shot all those fully crewed transports.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

afkmacro posted:

It really doesn't take that long unless your spm is garbage.

I'm trash at this game most of the time tbh. I need to start playing with goons.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GyverMac posted:

A good crew is what makes the landship worth it. If you're not on comms with your pals, just go heavy.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Is anyone else having trouble using the Russian 1895 Infantry? I can hit with the Gewehr M.95/98 infantry all day long, but the 1895, I don't know what it is. I'm missing shots that I should normally make.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Klisejo posted:

Is anyone else having trouble using the Russian 1895 Infantry? I can hit with the Gewehr M.95/98 infantry all day long, but the 1895, I don't know what it is. I'm missing shots that I should normally make.

Yep, me too. Using the iron sights at 2x zoom.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I gave the tank hunter landship a spin, and it's surprisingly fun. Instead of the front machinegun, you get an infinite-ammo Tankgewehr. Which honestly is almost just as good for murdering infantry, in addition to tearing up vehicles. Not to mention that the sponson guns just obliterate enemy armour. I went head-to-head against the train (got caught in the open) and managed to take off almost a third of its HP before it managed to kill me. It's also a surprisingly good for anti-air: https://streamable.com/z3l7

Also, have a random sniper getting what's his: https://streamable.com/yz0u

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Working on the Support medal.
20 kills as Support? Easy.
10 suppression assists? Ok sort of a pain in the rear end (since it apparently doesn't count squad suppression I guess?), but done.
10 mortar kills? Hahahahaha really DICE? Done.
20 Resupplies? Easy.
5 kills in one life as Support? gently caress ME. I guess I'm going to have to throw grenades everywhere and pray. Alternatively, maybe I'll run into some dumbshits who don't know how to turn around.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

When the flame kit becomes available pick it up and just wait in an area with heavy traffic. The kills will count towards your support kills.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Booyah- posted:

Yep, me too. Using the iron sights at 2x zoom.

OK, glad it's not just me. I've tried iron and radium at all the different zooms, and it just feels inaccurate. I'd qualify that with "past 100 yards", but last night there were some close-up shots in Amien that had me screaming WTF. The big blocky front post doesnt help, but I can usualy get past things like that (hello BF4 M60)

If we had the BF4 firing range I'd have figured it out by now...

Gonkish posted:

5 kills in one life as Support? gently caress ME. I guess I'm going to have to throw grenades everywhere and pray. Alternatively, maybe I'll run into some dumbshits who don't know how to turn around.

Will turret kills count? Because if so, get in with a tank driver who's not dumb.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gonkish posted:

Working on the Support medal.
20 kills as Support? Easy.
10 suppression assists? Ok sort of a pain in the rear end (since it apparently doesn't count squad suppression I guess?), but done.
10 mortar kills? Hahahahaha really DICE? Done.
20 Resupplies? Easy.

The bunkers in Monte Grappa with a good friend as Medic, lock the doors and start mail slot camping!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't gotten a single mortar kill, how are you all doing it to get a million kills

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Am I blind or is there no medic level 10 pistol?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

I haven't gotten a single mortar kill, how are you all doing it to get a million kills

Set up mortar behind cover, click on a part of the map where a bunch of death markers are occurring, then either adjust aim or spam click to get kills. It helps if the map has choke points that frequently develop- i.e. if you've got relative balanced teams in Conquest you usually have an initial fight on the ridgeline between the turret bunkers on Monte Grappa or for B on Suez that are kill bonanzas with an airburst mortar.

e: Genuinely there's no secret, it's mostly just map knowledge and being able to anticipate where groups of enemies are likely to be clustering/moving.

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 31, 2016

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Use it on chokepoints where enemies will be bunched up and your allies are more likely to spot them so you can pinpoint your shots. Watch the bird's-eye cam to get an idea of how you need to correct your shot. Once you've got a bead on somebody, you can right-click to cancel out of the bird's-eye cam and shoot a follow-up round quickly.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

There are a few secrets to successful mortar-making GBS threads:

1. You can right-click to immediately exit the post-firing animation. Use this if you know your shot isn't going to hit poo poo and there's absolutely nothing around, so you can immediately re-target an area with people in it.
2. If you found an area with a bunch of people, spam the gently caress out of left-click. You can fire multiple shots without going back to the view of your dude on the mortar. This is probably what has gotten me a majority of my kills.
3. If you're dedicated to being a mortar-shitter, you can go hide for like 10 or 15 seconds (throw an ammo pack at yourself to make sure, I'm not sure if this is required or not though) and you'll get a new mortar after your first one is empty. Use this time to reposition to where the enemies are, since they have likely moved out of range of your old mortar. (or haven't, you never know).
4. For maximum success, get a Scout to shoot spotting flares around the map so you have a much, MUCH better idea of where targets are. This will dramatically help more of your shots land, and also make the enemy team super loving mad.

Hope this helped, have fun!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I won't be able to play this again for quite some time. Please bayonet as many pubbies as possible in my stead. Thx

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Thronde posted:

There needs to be more funny gifs in this thread so I can laugh at work.

I'll probably be getting this shortly, but real life is keeping me from bayoneting fuckers. Well, that, and I want the driver patches and game patches to smooth out some of the issues hopefully a bit more.

https://gfycat.com/TameLimpGrackle

https://gfycat.com/AllExhaustedAmericanblackvulture

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Jumpoff posted:

2. If you found an area with a bunch of people, spam the gently caress out of left-click. You can fire multiple shots without going back to the view of your dude on the mortar. This is probably what has gotten me a majority of my kills.

Holy poo poo I didn't realize this. I was using method 1 to fire quickly.

And yeah, support scout is my favorite 2 man combo. They flare spot your mortars and take pot shots, and you quickly restock their flares while getting kills from safety.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for tips guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Had a new favorite moment last night, bayonet charged blindly around a corner through an incendiary grenade in Amiens, surprise speared someone in the heart, he had 3 people behind him who were looking the wrong way, killed all 3 with quick blasts from the shotgun and cleared the way for my team who were cowardly hiding too afraid to go around.