Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What are some of the good Lugubrum albums? I listened to Winterstones and De Vette Cuecken and they were both pretty cool with De Vette Cuecken being better. Don't know if I'd want them to get too much wackier though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
There may or may not be a Cultes Des Ghoules double album dropping any moment now. Here's a sample uploaded an hour ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTGw5xbhvyI

Here's the mystery page:
http://www.shadowkingdomrecords.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=30927

edit: yep

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 31, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Enforcer is amazing, and we should all appreciate them some more!

Have some Black Death, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I55xCYKTfGI

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

A human heart posted:

What are some of the good Lugubrum albums? I listened to Winterstones and De Vette Cuecken and they were both pretty cool with De Vette Cuecken being better. Don't know if I'd want them to get too much wackier though

I like De Totem and Bryune Troon. I also recall the latest album being alright but i was really drunk when I heard it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

funeral fag posted:

I like De Totem and Bryune Troon. I also recall the latest album being alright but i was really drunk when I heard it
Yeah, I checked out De Totem after making that post and it's good, I'll probably listen to Bryune Troon next. I listened to a couple of songs from the newest one and the metal parts were ok but they kept going into these almost reggae sounding sections that were kind of offputting. Also listened to a track from De ware hond that sounded like them doing a krautrock jam almost, kind of cool.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alcest coming to North America

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Alcest + The Body in Richmond ahhhhhhhh I'm so there

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh god this is loving sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFAcOnhcpGA

Just kidding, it's a new Metallica song and it's bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Continues Metallica's fine tradition of either using way too much reverb, or none at all.

I really want to like it because I grew up on that band, but man it's pop metal, does all the things that a top 40 listener would expect a metal song to have and absolutely nothing else.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
That's like the same intro as the other singles.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
bad band, terrible song, worst drummer

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can't remember if I asked this before, but what websites do you guys use in terms of finding new metal you like and reviews that are on the money?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can't remember if I asked this before, but what websites do you guys use in terms of finding new metal you like and reviews that are on the money?

This thread.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Often, whatever random song YouTube throws at me next.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

toilet ov hell

but mostly i just watch related youtubes for old poo poo because lol new metal

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

I usually just look at Angrymetalguy.com and see what new releases they've reviewed, then listen to it without actually reading the review (unless it's an album im actually already looking forward to).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stereogum's Black Market and word of mouth from various forums.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

New Deathspell Omegle EP is streaming: https://deathspellomega.bandcamp.com/album/the-synarchy-of-molten-bones

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
...isn't omegle the chat service where people press a button and hope to land on a webcam girl?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

...isn't omegle the chat service where people press a button and hope to land on a webcam girl?

yeah

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Reviews are rarely any good but label bandcamps/facebook pages, label forums and band pages are usually good ways of keeping up with what's being released.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

but mostly i just watch related youtubes for old poo poo because lol new metal

Yeah this. YouTube is pretty much 99% of where I find cool music. It just works well for me when I find like clicking around and finding random stuff. Also Apple Music playlists/suggestions/new release lists have gotten really good and are now perfectly tailored to what I enjoy. Those mixed with social media pages have me covered.

Truthfully the period in which I realized reviews are entirely useless was an amazing time for me. Discussions of albums and behind the scenes stuff is alright but music reviews can gently caress right off.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I like poking around on Spotify using their similar bands feature. I end up finding weird stuff that way.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lemme tell you youngins about the old days when we actually bought tapes and scoured the tiny booklets for the thanks lists to find new bands to listen to

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
and those weird personals sections in metal mags where people would just list bands they were into and plead for pen pals (and one in five would feature the words "really into the occult, Crowley, and graveyards)

These days the two forums I use the most are metal-archives and NWN. Whenever something new is coming out, or rumored to be coming out, there will be a post or thread about it within moments. Specific to metal-archives, every year there's a "worthwhile albums of [year]" running thread, and I can't recommend it enough. Here's the current one: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113254

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh god this is loving sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFAcOnhcpGA

Just kidding, it's a new Metallica song and it's bad.

Man this is really disappointing, I was hoping this album would be a solid comeback for them. I liked the first two singles lots too. :(

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've liked moth into flame but the rest of this stuff has been.... not bad... but nothing i want to listen to.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

lemme tell you youngins about the old days when we actually bought tapes and scoured the tiny booklets for the thanks lists to find new bands to listen to

No poo poo, I was there too. Also, borrowing random tapes from friends (there weren't many metalheads around, I went to high school in a rural backwater in Norway, the few of us who were there naturally gravitated together).

And the radio. There was one whole weekly hour-long show dedicated to "heavy" music, and I'd tape it each week and listen to that week's tape a number of times in hope of finding something good.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I get together with my friends and we play bands at each other for a while. Then I remember which ones I thought were awesome?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

this is def my poo poo

i think its supposed to be a full album though, which is sort of disappointing cause its barely 30 mins long. even fas was a solid 40 mins without the intro/outros

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

ΗΟΛΥ FUCKEN poo poo DSO

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

I usually just look at Angrymetalguy.com and see what new releases they've reviewed, then listen to it without actually reading the review (unless it's an album im actually already looking forward to).
This is one of my methods too. Except sometimes I read the review too, they're sometimes pretty decent.

Also this Finnish webzine has a section where they just dump music video links. I wouldn't count it among my main methods of finding new stuff, but trawling through it can be an entertaining crapshoot. http://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=videos

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Man this is really disappointing, I was hoping this album would be a solid comeback for them. I liked the first two singles lots too. :(

Yeah I'm starting to feel like they should've just called it a day after Death Magnetic turned out decent. This one won't benefit as much from the element of surprise.

I mean, a better solution would be to hire a better producer (and listen to them) but I'm not optimistic about them ever doing that.

Turns out thrash metal is pretty boring when it's processed enough to sound like Metallica karaoke

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I'm starting to feel like they should've just called it a day after Death Magnetic turned out decent. This one won't benefit as much from the element of surprise.

I mean, a better solution would be to hire a better producer (and listen to them) but I'm not optimistic about them ever doing that.

Turns out thrash metal is pretty boring when it's processed enough to sound like Metallica karaoke

Let us not kid ourselves here, Death Magnetic is probably as good as Metallica will ever be again ie merely decent.
Metallica have had their period of greatness and it is pretty naive thinking they will ever be able to reach their former glory.
Same thing happens to every band, and there are very few bands that manage to produce more than one truly great album in their career.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

why is that song 6 minutes ughhh

i mean, look at this -- same era, band still kicking rear end

gently caress off Metallica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_c3GBrWsao

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yah, Overkill is probably the one original-era thrash band that has held up the best.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's been said a few times already, but I just wanna throw in a reminder that the new Testament album loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHT86Ei7DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvUcLcqwSzw

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Nordick posted:

It's been said a few times already, but I just wanna throw in a reminder that the new Testament album loving owns.

I'm halfway thru it and already want to start it over again. This is a good sign.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They also addressed how cringey metal videos would perfect their craft with the inclusion of drone footage so it's good to have that settled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Groke posted:

No poo poo, I was there too. Also, borrowing random tapes from friends (there weren't many metalheads around, I went to high school in a rural backwater in Norway, the few of us who were there naturally gravitated together).

And the radio. There was one whole weekly hour-long show dedicated to "heavy" music, and I'd tape it each week and listen to that week's tape a number of times in hope of finding something good.

I was under the impression that Norway, Finland and Sweden's mainstream embraced metal long ago, is that not accurate?