Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just won coupons and a free t-shirt through the latest KO giveaway! Can't wait for that fishy shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

I started my new life eating sardines this week. I'm expecting to become thin and healthy within a month. Also everyone in my office is mad or jealous I can't tell.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i'm certain theyre not jealous

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

They will be jealous of your luxurious hair and rippling muscles

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

big storm is rolling in

better stock up on sardines and tea candles and beer

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:getin:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Cheese? And Fish? I don't know man, I don't know.

Personal dadliness development:
I've just started working at small town hardware store and couldn't stop chuckling at a small child's antics. I spent a good amount of my day being concerned about two stroke engine oil/gas mixtures. It made me want to get married and settle down. I think I'll wake up early and make Fisherman's Eggs tomorrow.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

And for dessert:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

^^ :coolfish:

Ceciltron posted:

Cheese? And Fish? I don't know man, I don't know.

eh it was just a little for the flavour and it was mostly on the pasta itself. it was really good!! I like to melt some proper parmesan into my tomato sauces while cooking, but I wanted a lazy dish today :)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think Parmesan should be taken out of the cheese category really. It's just a way to add free glutamates, like some kind of wop miso.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think Parmesan should be taken out of the cheese category really. It's just a way to add free glutamates, like some kind of wop miso.

Dago miso would have been a better choice of a racial slur since it rhymes

Trader Joes smoked trout is really good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the matching mullets are too adorable :3:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Oh drat... there's a sardine massacre documented in extensive detail in the first episode of Blue Planet. Not sad, just jealous of their dine eating capabilities.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The other day I watched dolphins tail slap the water to stun bait fish, probably mackerel. poo poo was loud.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_DLsyfNDk0

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gbd boyz

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dines and grits are apparently a thing in the bahamas, so here goes:

1/4 c dry grits cooked to taste
dash of fiery powdered chili of your choice
cracked pepper
squirt of lime
thin sliced onion
3 riga sprats

Trip report: Is actually really good, the grits and cut the oil of the sardines really nicely. The only real downside is that if you're making this dish for 1 serving you probably have half a can of dines left to deal with.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
That sounds really good, but I would modify by pan frying the 'dines. Give a nice crunchy texture contrast with the grits.

And why would you make such a small serving? Make more grits, use all the 'dines.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

if we're able to do thanksgiving with my family, I wanted to try to make oyster stuffing because 1) I've heard it's good and 2) I want to try it, but my only oyster experience was a raw one when I was, like, 7? I live in maryland so it's not like I couldn't get fresh oysters but we're not made of money and I'd like advice on whether or not canned oysters would be okay, and what recipe to use. I don't even know what it would taste like, since I don't remember what oysters or other shelled animals taste like.

there's a decent and easy enough recipe on serious eats that I was considering halving to make a small batch!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

havnt had deeners in weeks time to right that wrong

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Snoo posted:

if we're able to do thanksgiving with my family, I wanted to try to make oyster stuffing because 1) I've heard it's good and 2) I want to try it, but my only oyster experience was a raw one when I was, like, 7? I live in maryland so it's not like I couldn't get fresh oysters but we're not made of money and I'd like advice on whether or not canned oysters would be okay, and what recipe to use. I don't even know what it would taste like, since I don't remember what oysters or other shelled animals taste like.

there's a decent and easy enough recipe on serious eats that I was considering halving to make a small batch!

Oyster stuffing owns, I would say canned raw oysters like these that you'd see in the cold case are fine for that (or indeed any recipe where they're gonna get cooked thoroughly.)

I've never used canned non refrigerated oysters other than tinned smoked ones so I can't really comment on how they are for cooking.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 28, 2016

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I just won coupons and a free t-shirt through the latest KO giveaway! Can't wait for that fishy shirt.

I'd accuse you of being Nigel, but nobody is named Nigel.

You clearly must be John.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Oyster stuffing is excellent. I've had it made with jarred refregerated raw oysters and canned smoked ones and both were good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The best oyster stuffing I've had used both canned smoked and fresh. Just canned smoked makes a really good stuffing though. Had some perfectly decent ones with a combo of regular canned and smoked.

Moral of the story is to make oyster stuffing because :yum:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
edit, rethought

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

thanks for the responses! hopefully I can find the crown prince smoked oysters at walmart or shoprite or something, they seem to be my best bet for canned vs fresh. most places here have fresh in shell and shucked oysters at their fish counters but I'll have to check things out. :3:

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
Ok goons, you persuaded me. My dad, who is the dadliest of dads, eats both 'dines and chovies and I think I've done him proud by giving this a shot.

Trip report:

I went to my local grocery store and they had KO 'dines on special. Buy two, get one free (HEB in case you're wondering).

I took advantage of the offer and was sure to get 2 of the bone-in, with-skin, and one without so I can get the full experience.I also got three different flavors.

I couldn't wait to open up a can. First impressions are important, so I went with the flavor I thought I'd like the most, the one with hot jalapeno peppers:

Nice presentation, love the jalapenos on top. The smell was not what I expected. It was fishy, but fresh - kind of like your mom's vagina.

I decided to try them with 3 different condiments and one without. Getting them prepared, I just wanna warn, you will get oily. They're super oily. But since that's a goon's default state, maybe it's not so bad.

My beautiful, pinterest-worthy presentation:

I liked them. They were tasty. I think my favorite condiment was the chili garlic sauce. I thought the sriracha was just a tad too sweet for the 'dines (I feel that way about a lot of sriracha applications). Mustard was good also. I had about 9 crackers stacked with 'dines all told, and my dogs and cat were quite grateful to have the paltry 3 leftover fishies. The only thing I didn't like was the tails, they are just not appetizing and no matter what part of the fish I ate first, the tail would end up being the last thing in my mouth. Still, I could probably get over that with more experience.

The consensus: 9/10, would 'dine again.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

dreadspork posted:

Ok goons, you persuaded me. My dad, who is the dadliest of dads, eats both 'dines and chovies and I think I've done him proud by giving this a shot.

Trip report:

I went to my local grocery store and they had KO 'dines on special. Buy two, get one free (HEB in case you're wondering).

I took advantage of the offer and was sure to get 2 of the bone-in, with-skin, and one without so I can get the full experience.I also got three different flavors.

I couldn't wait to open up a can. First impressions are important, so I went with the flavor I thought I'd like the most, the one with hot jalapeno peppers:

Nice presentation, love the jalapenos on top. The smell was not what I expected. It was fishy, but fresh - kind of like your mom's vagina.

I decided to try them with 3 different condiments and one without. Getting them prepared, I just wanna warn, you will get oily. They're super oily. But since that's a goon's default state, maybe it's not so bad.

My beautiful, pinterest-worthy presentation:

I liked them. They were tasty. I think my favorite condiment was the chili garlic sauce. I thought the sriracha was just a tad too sweet for the 'dines (I feel that way about a lot of sriracha applications). Mustard was good also. I had about 9 crackers stacked with 'dines all told, and my dogs and cat were quite grateful to have the paltry 3 leftover fishies. The only thing I didn't like was the tails, they are just not appetizing and no matter what part of the fish I ate first, the tail would end up being the last thing in my mouth. Still, I could probably get over that with more experience.

The consensus: 9/10, would 'dine again.

If you have one around you, Trader Joe's sriracha sauce is fantastic and IMO it isn't as sweet as the one with the rooster on the bottle, just something to throw out there.

I like sharing the fishes with my doggie too, sometimes I will dump a little bit of the oil on her dog food too as a special treat.
If you eat enough cans, you kind of get used to the tails, but if you don't like them, no shame in not eating them, I won't judge.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Bumblebee plain oil tins were like 80 cents around here and I really liked em, now for some reason they're a bit over a dollar. I tried chicken of the sea as an alternative bottom tier option but they're much more dry and simply not as good. Kind of a bummer.

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.

bengy81 posted:

If you have one around you, Trader Joe's sriracha sauce is fantastic and IMO it isn't as sweet as the one with the rooster on the bottle, just something to throw out there.

I like sharing the fishes with my doggie too, sometimes I will dump a little bit of the oil on her dog food too as a special treat.
If you eat enough cans, you kind of get used to the tails, but if you don't like them, no shame in not eating them, I won't judge.

I will have to try TJ's sriracha, and pick up a can of their harissa 'dines while I'm at it. Also, I appreciate the not-judging. My wimpy palate is just unaccustomed to eating whole fishies, as of yet.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

dreadspork posted:

I will have to try TJ's sriracha, and pick up a can of their harissa 'dines while I'm at it. Also, I appreciate the not-judging. My wimpy palate is just unaccustomed to eating whole fishies, as of yet.

I just tried a can of their harissa ones last week and they are really good! I was a little concerned that the sauce would overly complicate the flavor but they didn't. My only complaint is that the cans are a pain to open. The tab broke off when I was trying to open them. So they lose points to KO there. Also the fishies are a little bigger than KO's as well.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I tried the "premium" Bumble Bee sardines (brislings) and they were very similar to King Oscar. If they're at your local grocery store, they're similar enough in quality while not being quite as expensive.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I saw the 'premium' bumblybee sardines recently, I'll have to try them!

the one grocery store I stopped in today had chicken of the sea and bumblebee canned oysters. if that's what I have to choose from, any tips?

I think walmart has the crown prince ones, so I won't give up yet (thanksgiving is almost a month away, after all) and I hope I can get there soon... but the fresh shucked ones were like $13. :(

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bengy81 posted:

Are you deliberately trying to troll this person? Trader Joe's sriracha should be labeled as ketchup - it is inferior to Huy Fong sriracha in every way.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I bought a can of smoked oysters on a whim and have no ideas what to do with it

Thoughts?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

open up said can and put the contents into your mouth. chew. swallow. cum.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
I stopped eating 'dines because people started complaining.

i use my last can of oskars to open beer now, and the last time i did it i thought of y'all

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you deliberately trying to troll this person? Trader Joe's sriracha should be labeled as ketchup - it is inferior to Huy Fong sriracha in every way.

Hey this is a no trolling zone. The gentlegoon expressed an opinion so I just wanted offer an alternative. I think TJ's sriracha is great on Sardines, even if it isn't the greatest version of the sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Delicious big meaty fish.