Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm not sure they're doubling the number of forts so much as making it so having 0 forts is no longer the optimal choice.

Maybe there's a 1 fort per area limit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There isn't, the language describing the new rules includes all the expected language to support multiple forts per area.

But yeah, we really need Seige Ability from military tech or something.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I do like how siege times wax and wane as the game goes on (decreasing as artillery appears and becomes a larger part of armies, then increasing as better fort types appear, culminating in the age of Vauban). But still, I agree that there should at least be some late-game siege ability boost(s) as warfare moves into the Napoleonic era.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I haven't really followed Rights Of Man too much but I just bought it and I've noticed there's still classifications like "Western" and "Eastern"

Do these still have any effect in the new systems?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Carver posted:

I haven't really followed Rights Of Man too much but I just bought it and I've noticed there's still classifications like "Western" and "Eastern"

Unit types. The pips had been balanced a while back and while Western troops are still the best in the endgame, there are times where Turkish and Chinese are the best I think.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Oh right, I should've known that. Thanks!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So the Ottoman declared war on the Mamluks (big surprise) and thoroughly thrashed them as usual but instead of taking any land they grabbed them as a protectorate. It didn't last for very long and now they keep trying to take Iraq as a protectorate instead but it keeps breaking and being reapplied a while later. Probably dancing on the tech edge? :confused:

drat AI keeps trying to sneak in armies behind and starts sieging but as soon as I get anywhere near they run away like scalded beavers, it's very annoying. :argh:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Carver posted:

WilliamAnderson posted:

Unit types. The pips had been balanced a while back and while Western troops are still the best in the endgame, there are times where Turkish and Chinese are the best I think.

Also, neighbor bonuses, cavalry ratio penalties, some special stuff for new world cultures, and I strongly suspect, map spread.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Elman posted:

I'm not sure they're doubling the number of forts so much as making it so having 0 forts is no longer the optimal choice.

Maybe there's a 1 fort per area limit?

Did you read the dev diary I was responding to?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

There isn't, the language describing the new rules includes all the expected language to support multiple forts per area.

But yeah, we really need Seige Ability from military tech or something.

The AI will probably only ever have 1 per area, though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

Did you read the dev diary I was responding to?

Nope :downs:

I'm sure they know better than to turn sieges into a grind, though. Half the point of the new fort system was to make it so you won't have to spend years sieging every province.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
They should make it so single province islands require an ally fleet present to progress the siege. Then I can finally rule the HRE for 100 years as Cyprus as I recently saw the AI do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Well, they were pretty crap now, but that seems flat-out useless as it'll take forever to recoup their costs.

Oh, nevermind, they could be good then.
its reduced for the province its in.

Oh, nevermind, they seem flat-out useless again.
[/quote]

They could actually make a huge difference, especially in a province that you pumped for an institution

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

WilliamAnderson posted:

Western tech actuly has far and away the worst cavelry early game, starting with fewer pips and taking longer to upgrade, and they dont take the lead until tech 18. Meanwhile western infanty starts mediocre and dosnt reach the top until tech 19 when they tie with a bunch of others. They dont actually have an undisputed edge till tech 28 when the napoleonic units show up.

Turkish tech is interesting as its near the top for most of the early and mid game, but they fall off hard late game, ending with the worst units of any tech group.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Has anyone pulled off the 'hoarder' fetishist cheevo? I'm trying it as Butua, and I'm having difficulty getting the last two madagascar cults - i'm neighboring & at war with a fetishist Madagascar nation, but the cults aren't appearing?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PleasingFungus posted:

Has anyone pulled off the 'hoarder' fetishist cheevo? I'm trying it as Butua, and I'm having difficulty getting the last two madagascar cults - i'm neighboring & at war with a fetishist Madagascar nation, but the cults aren't appearing?

I missed out by one on my Karagwe run but it was the West African cults I missed. Was neighbouring and allied to what was the last Fetishist nation by the time I got there but it never fired before the game ended. It's a MTTH event so I guess we got unlucky. Keep waiting and it "should" fire for you eventually. Also couldn't get West Africa again on my African Power run but I have a few years left and there's a Mayan nation still alive somehow so perhaps I can grab it before the game ends.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 2, 2016

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Because when I think Enlightenment, I think of this mess of borders :barf:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Detheros posted:

Because when I think Enlightenment, I think of this mess of borders :barf:

Ah yes, the Enlightenment, that period of history when world leaders put their heads together and made pretty borders everywhere. This of course always works well, and drawing arbitrary straight lines everywhere without regard for religion, culture or ethnicity is one thing of the most enlightened things humanity has ever done.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

As God's Kingdom this is fact...just ignore those rebels.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think I just missed the DLC sale but Rights of Man looks way better than Mare Nostrum and I wouldn't be missing out on much if I skipped on the latter right?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Eej posted:

I think I just missed the DLC sale but Rights of Man looks way better than Mare Nostrum and I wouldn't be missing out on much if I skipped on the latter right?

Not at all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The mares nostrils was the only expansion I didn't but at launch. I did pick it up when it went on sale and didn't regret it, but you can do perfectly fine without it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wafflecopper posted:

Ah yes, the Enlightenment, that period of history when world leaders put their heads together and made pretty borders everywhere. This of course always works well, and drawing arbitrary straight lines everywhere without regard for religion, culture or ethnicity is one thing of the most enlightened things humanity has ever done.

It's right up there with the ethnic/national self-determination that had such huge success in making Europe stable after WW1.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

PleasingFungus posted:

You can also get the cults by ocupying lands of the religeon/cult region,try some of their lands and see if the causes it to fire.

I'm not sure though in my kongo run I got both other sets of fetishist cults in groups of 3 as soon as I took land in the region.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Fister Roboto posted:

Even as the Ottomans you're not going to have enough slots for accepted cultures for all the peoples you should be conquering.

Don't bother with development unless you're at the MP cap. If there's a new institution available that you haven't embraced yet, dump all your excess points into Constantinople. If the institution is already present in Constantinople but you can't embrace it yet, put your points in one of the neighboring provinces (Edirne or Hudavendigar, usually). If you're not behind on instititutions, dump development into your cheapest provinces until you have over 1000 total. After that, it probably doesn't matter because lol you have over 1000 development.

I'm a pretty spergy player though - instead of blobbing up I generally conquer only certain culture groups/regions, and turn other stuff into marches

during a blobbier game I always go humanist, because it makes empire management that much easier, I really wish certain idea groups didn't feel so mandatory

also it seems dumping development into the balkans/greece is where it's at, just to up the spread of institutions

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

At this point in the england game I have stopped giving a poo poo. France was kicked off Europe and now is in Argentina and my vassal, I own more than half of france, all North America and Canada, a nice chunk of bengal and the moluccas, I have the biggest force limit and navy limit, twice the fleet of everyone else and could easily double that with the +120 gold per month i earn (at full troops and navy maintenance)

Also megaspain is my most trusted ally and they're happy to throw the second biggest fleet and army in any war I want to wage

I took maritime as my second to last idea group just because

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

TorakFade posted:

At this point in the england game I have stopped giving a poo poo. France was kicked off Europe and now is in Argentina and my vassal, I own more than half of france, all North America and Canada, a nice chunk of bengal and the moluccas, I have the biggest force limit and navy limit, twice the fleet of everyone else and could easily double that with the +120 gold per month i earn (at full troops and navy maintenance)

Also megaspain is my most trusted ally and they're happy to throw the second biggest fleet and army in any war I want to wage

I took maritime as my second to last idea group just because

i never like allowing an ally to get all "mega;" generally I'll go in and make them release some nations because #yolo

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Any tips on a Morocco game, especially how to get the most out of coastal raiding and institutions as a Muslim tech nation?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Landsknecht posted:

i never like allowing an ally to get all "mega;" generally I'll go in and make them release some nations because #yolo

Yeah but it was either let Spain do whatever, or murdering France...

I went with murdering France.

Even then if they get silly ideas I can easily crush them 1vs1 and I am allied to Austria and Lithuania, they won't attack me. We basically split the world 3 ways: eastern North America, Canada, Moluccas and ivory coast to me, central America and cape to Portugal, south America and western North America to Spain

Also lol at Ottomans plopping down a single colony in Australia just to spite me because I own all the rest of it

Once I am done kicking the Pope's rear end for fun (and for the Reformed faith!) I will show those Turks the wonders of 5 o' clock teatime (hundreds of thousand will die over a 2-1-1 shithole arid plot of land down under where I ship off my unwanted criminals. Such is the British Empire way)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 2, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hey so I just saw the dev diary for the upcoming patch and I sat and thought about it. All I have to really say is that this has been a really incredible year for EUIV, it has gone from my favourite current grand strat game to being the best one in my eyes. Not current, I mean all time. Even mechanics I was sceptical of when they were initially added, like corruption, are being advanced into having some genuine decision making in them to make them actually deep and interesting beyond "keep number low".

If any of you dev nerds are in here, give yourself a pat on the back because to me, a player of your game, you have had a super impressive year with the improvements that have been made.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Another Person posted:

Hey so I just saw the dev diary for the upcoming patch and I sat and thought about it. All I have to really say is that this has been a really incredible year for EUIV, it has gone from my favourite current grand strat game to being the best one in my eyes. Not current, I mean all time. Even mechanics I was sceptical of when they were initially added, like corruption, are being advanced into having some genuine decision making in them to make them actually deep and interesting beyond "keep number low".

If any of you dev nerds are in here, give yourself a pat on the back because to me, a player of your game, you have had a super impressive year with the improvements that have been made.

I would say EU4 is currently the strongest Paradox game, and by extension the best strategy game.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Gort posted:

I would say EU4 is currently the strongest Paradox game, and by extension the best strategy game.

Agreed. It has been the best Paradox title for a while, but there have been some real strides this year in kicking some of the dust off of the game and revitalising it. Institutions in particular have been great for that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TorakFade posted:

Also [somebody] is my ally and they're happy to heedlessly throw their fleet and army into any war I want to wage

The biggest problem with EU4 IMO.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Another Person posted:

Agreed. It has been the best Paradox title for a while, but there have been some real strides this year in kicking some of the dust off of the game and revitalising it. Institutions in particular have been great for that.

Pretty hard to decide between Institutions and The Black Death for best addition to a Paradox game this year.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I haven't played EU4 for ages but I am totally going to splurge on it after next patch. Everything since Estates is new to me (I only bought Cossacks recently) so between that, the new AI and alliances, institutions, and new forts coming soon, it's going to be almost like a new game!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i'm actually pretty fond of the current fort system - the 'besieger is the defender in a battle' change makes sieges a lot more challenging. if only there weren't all those pathing glitches...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Agreed that Rights of Man is really good, the upcoming patch sounds great, and most of the recent EU4 stuff has been good on the whole. I'd say Mare Nostrum was a bit meh but that's about it.

I started a Bahmanis game last night and holey moley you can get really strong quickly with the way Institutions work and a good ruler. I'd go as far as to say most any decent-sized non-European with a good ruler (for MP to dump into development to gain institutions) can bootstrap themselves to be one of the top Great Powers in the first century of the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

I started a Bahmanis game last night and holey moley you can get really strong quickly with the way Institutions work and a good ruler. I'd go as far as to say most any decent-sized non-European with a good ruler (for MP to dump into development to gain institutions) can bootstrap themselves to be one of the top Great Powers in the first century of the game.
I havent been able to play at all since Rights of Man came out but based on the posting in this thread, doing what you are saying sounds both popular and easy to pull off, which makes me think that it is likely to get nerfed - so I have to ask, are there any bad side effects to doing it that I havent seen/am not aware of having not played at all?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I havent been able to play at all since Rights of Man came out but based on the posting in this thread, doing what you are saying sounds both popular and easy to pull off, which makes me think that it is likely to get nerfed - so I have to ask, are there any bad side effects to doing it that I havent seen/am not aware of having not played at all?

No. It gets expensive the bigger you get, but you also make a lot of money, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It costs you like 2000+ monarch points that you would otherwise not need to spend for each one you spawn in. That puts you a tech behind your neighbors. Also in lots of undeveloped parts of the world, it can still take a long time to spread throughout your lands even if you spawn it in right on time.

I really don't see the problem with it. It's like a series of mini-westernizations you have to do that come throughout the game; sure, for one of the institutions you might have a great monarch and be able to spawn it in without too much trouble, but maybe later on the institution came in at a really poo poo time and to do it again would be a lot harder. It's still dramatically easier for the European teams to keep up.

If there's one change I might actually like to see, it'd be for the time institutions spawn in to be a whole lot more random, like maybe +/- 20 years even. Right now it's way too easy to put all your affairs in order for January 1 every 50 years and stock up on monarch points/ blitz the colonization, or maybe gently caress up trade for everyone else but in an unsustainable way for just the turn of the month so you can force things to spawn on you.

also yeah, EU4 is pretty much straight up the best strategy game every made, at this point.

• Locked thread