Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

dookifex_maximus posted:

I stopped eating 'dines because people started complaining.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I had a dire 'dine emergency (hadn't had any in a week!) and the only brands available at the store closest to me were Beach Cliff and Brunswick so I had those for the first time. Was severely disappointed especially in the latter. They were both packed in water, and the Brunswick fishies were just a limp, soft, soggy mess with little flavor. The Beach Cliff dines were a little better but still not firm at all. I gave the 2nd can of Brunswicks to my backyard feral garbage disposal kitty and even she was not excited about them but an opossum finally ate them.

Luckily my local Publix grocery has started carrying King Oscar Wild Caught dines (my faves!) in a pack of 5 for $9.99 so I stocked up on those bad boys.

dookifex_maximus posted:

My friend, this is when you double down and eat MORE, not less.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my coworkers regularly express disgust when i bring in sardines to eat with my lunch, regularly decrying them as gross as hell.

one let it slip today in response to my vigorous defense of 'dines that he doesn't like sardines but DOES like pickled herring

when i told him that it turns out he DOES like 'dines, but only if u soak them in vinegar first, his MIND WAS BLOWN

SUCK IT, 'DINE HATERS

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

my coworkers regularly express disgust when i bring in sardines to eat with my lunch, regularly decrying them as gross as hell.

one let it slip today in response to my vigorous defense of 'dines that he doesn't like sardines but DOES like pickled herring

when i told him that it turns out he DOES like 'dines, but only if u soak them in vinegar first, his MIND WAS BLOWN

SUCK IT, 'DINE HATERS

Bring a pickle jar full of KOs to him tomorrow.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Renegret posted:

I bought a can of smoked oysters on a whim and have no ideas what to do with it

Thoughts?

Eat them on Ritz crackers.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Eat them on Ritz crackers.

If you are feeling really brave, add a slice of medium cheddar or pepper jack.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'll eat smoked oysters by themselves if I'm starving and it's all the protein I've got but I prefer to use them in a simple pasta. They pack a lot of punch.

First recipe I found looks tasty.

http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/stovetop-cooking-method/lemon-linguine-with-smoked-oysters/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I et smoked oysters out the can using a toothpick 99/100 times, historically

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

pahuyuth posted:

I had a dire 'dine emergency (hadn't had any in a week!) and the only brands available at the store closest to me were Beach Cliff and Brunswick so I had those for the first time. Was severely disappointed especially in the latter. They were both packed in water, and the Brunswick fishies were just a limp, soft, soggy mess with little flavor. The Beach Cliff dines were a little better but still not firm at all. I gave the 2nd can of Brunswicks to my backyard feral garbage disposal kitty and even she was not excited about them but an opossum finally ate them.

To be fair most brands of dines in water suck, i've had both brunswick and beach cliff and they're okay but bumblebee was until recently my goto for cheaper cans.

naem
May 29, 2011

Chicken of the sea smoked are pretty good cheap ones

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Epic High Five posted:

SUCK IT, 'DINE HATERS

Well played. This is how you work it, 'diners.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 2, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Smoked oysters can be chopped up and added to a spoonful of mayo, then put em in a sandwich.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

numberoneposter posted:

I'll eat smoked oysters by themselves if I'm starving and it's all the protein I've got but I prefer to use them in a simple pasta. They pack a lot of punch.

First recipe I found looks tasty.

http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/stovetop-cooking-method/lemon-linguine-with-smoked-oysters/

That's a tasty recipe but when you have 5 goddamn kids that eat everything in sight including your precious 'dines and oysters and you have to hoard ramen and use it in lieu of proper pasta it's not quite the same but still okay. My bottomless pit motherfucking offspring will rue the day when they finally hit the "you'll understand one day" stage and wish their offspring didn't eat the one thing that they look forward to after a day of real life bullshit.

I did steal most of the young'uns Halloween candy so I guess it evens out.

Sorry for ranting, 'dine thread.

#FrustratedDadLyfe

VVV I can't even tell you how many 'dine hiding places I have at home, at work, and at the gym. A safe might be my last bastion of hope.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 2, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

That's a tasty recipe but when you have 5 goddamn kids that eat everything in sight including your precious 'dines and oysters and you have to hoard ramen and use it in lieu of proper pasta it's not quite the same but still okay. My bottomless pit motherfucking offspring will rue the day when they finally hit the "you'll understand one day" stage and wish their offspring didn't eat the one thing that they look forward to after a day of real life bullshit.

#FrustratedDadLyfe

get a 'dine safe

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Cleverly conceal the sardines as Old People Sex Ointment.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

#FrustratedDadLyfe

VVV I can't even tell you how many 'dine hiding places I have at home, at work, and at the gym. A safe might be my last bastion of hope.

Get one of the ones that open from the top, and cover your illicit 'dine stash with a folder or smtg labelled "<wife's name> SEX STUFF"

they'll leave it alone

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

naem posted:

Chicken of the sea smoked are pretty good cheap ones

:yeah:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

pr0k posted:

Delicious big meaty fish.

Interesting almost side-by-side. Cheap 'dines yesterday, The King today.

...is it wrong I kinda prefer the cheap ones?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

pr0k posted:

...is it wrong I kinda prefer the cheap ones?
Thriftiness is dadly. you dun good.

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
Submitted for your approval: the laziest fisherman's eggs:

(with KO spicy black pepper sardines)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

dreadspork posted:

Submitted for your approval: the laziest fisherman's eggs:

(with KO spicy black pepper sardines)

Holy poo poo, I might try that. Thanks to being of English extraction :britain: I have a deep fondness for beans and egg on toast, and could certainly manage putting together some variant of 'dines and egg on toast.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
dined on some 'dines around midnight last night

chicken of the sea in louisiana hot sauce. hadn't seen that variety in that brand

pretty tasty, had bones!

thought you should know, OP

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Added to mental Sardine Notes for reference tyvm

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Holy poo poo, I might try that. Thanks to being of English extraction :britain: I have a deep fondness for beans and egg on toast, and could certainly manage putting together some variant of 'dines and egg on toast.

Yeah, I'm in South Texas and the weather hasn't quite figured out it's November yet, it's been above 21 C (70 F) since I woke up. Didn't want to heat up the whole house with the oven, but also wanted to have eggs with my 'dines. I enjoyed the concoction, eat dem bitty fishies with eggs, they make everything better.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bought some raw oysters and shucked and ate a bunch with Vodka. It loving ruled.

Haven't had dines in a while tho. :pray:

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

dookifex_maximus posted:

wow, ignore those people

I wish KO's had sweet painted tins too, instead of the dumb plastic wrap. still really good small fishes though, and man the mediterranean ones are freakin' great, no regrets on getting a case

eat the tails and the dang bones, theys good

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 5, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Getttin ripped on canned air and fishtails

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What is the good kind of jarred salsa

Is there one

Some are okay

The Wold Table Chipotle one at Walmart is watered down but the flavor is good

I got this more expensive one called El Pinto and it tastes like loving racoon piss

Also there is no such thing as a good premade pico, so not-pico posts will be allwed in reply to this post

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sheep-Goats posted:

What is the good kind of jarred salsa

Is there one

Some are okay

The Wold Table Chipotle one at Walmart is watered down but the flavor is good

I got this more expensive one called El Pinto and it tastes like loving racoon piss

Also there is no such thing as a good premade pico, so not-pico posts will be allwed in reply to this post

Medium or Hot Pace is p. dece in my book, although it's been a bit since I picked up some.

Trader Joe's has some solid salsa.

Haven't tried their salsa, but I always have a jar of 505 Green Chile in my fridge.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There are a bunch of places here that make decent fresh salsa that you can buy in grocery stores in plastic tubs, like the size of a container of cottage cheese or sour cream. I haven't intentionally consumed jarred salsa in a very long time.

Addendum: On the other hand, I have a deep and defiant love for this stuff:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I get store brand salsa because I'm a filthy poor 👌

walmart has like a 10 foot wide section of canned fish and only like 1/3rd of it is tuna, so that's nice. couldn't find crown prince oysters so I'm gonna try some of the cheaper ones.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The best salsa you can buy is Garden Fresh Gourmet. It used to be an independent brand but got bought out by Campbell's Soup about a year ago, so it's probably in every US grocery store now, even the small town ones.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Speleothing posted:

The best salsa you can buy is Garden Fresh Gourmet. It used to be an independent brand but got bought out by Campbell's Soup about a year ago, so it's probably in every US grocery store now, even the small town ones.

This. I buy Jack's Garden Fresh Gourmet salsa in big 48-ounce plastic jars in the refrigerated section at Costco, then drain out a lot of the liquid once I get it home, to make the remaining stuff thicker and chunkier. It's REALLY good-quality salsa.

If you like fruit in your salsa, I'm a sucker for Newman's Own peach salsa. And I'll sample anything with chipotle in it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If you live in Michigan you can probably find their other flavors, too.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There are a bunch of places here that make decent fresh salsa that you can buy in grocery stores in plastic tubs, like the size of a container of cottage cheese or sour cream. I haven't intentionally consumed jarred salsa in a very long time.

same gently caress that styff

Lathespin.gif posted:

wow, ignore those people

I wish KO's had sweet painted tins too, instead of the dumb plastic wrap. still really good small fishes though, and man the mediterranean ones are freakin' great, no regrets on getting a case

eat the tails and the dang bones, theys good

where did you order these from?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Herdez salsa is okay, I guess. Got a jarred salsa from Sams or Costco one time that was decent, but I don't recall the brand. It wasn't Kirklands or whatever Sams in store brand is.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well not loving here Mr Showoff!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This. I buy Jack's Garden Fresh Gourmet salsa in big 48-ounce plastic jars in the refrigerated section at Costco, then drain out a lot of the liquid once I get it home, to make the remaining stuff thicker and chunkier. It's REALLY good-quality salsa.

Alirhgt I will try that

quote:

If you like fruit in your salsa,

:chloe:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mango based salsa is great and I will fight you. Same in the opposite direction. Jalepeno jams are fantastic and go with anything worth eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
For real, mango salsa is great, especially with fish or chicken. Also fun thing to try, next time you make pico, dice some mango and toss it in, you won't be disappointed!