Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

For what's it's worth, I decided against the Mazda 3 because it has horrible visibility out the entire passenger side of the car when you're driving, including forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I actually wouldnt entirely discount the civic, just be aware its not flawless. Consumer reports rates Mazda 3s reliability as above average for whatever thats worth....they say audi are above average too which is like what?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Tenacious J posted:

For what's it's worth, I decided against the Mazda 3 because it has horrible visibility out the entire passenger side of the car when you're driving, including forward.

Can you explain more please? Im trying to figure this out

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Ammanas posted:

Can you explain more please? Im trying to figure this out

I meant that when I was in the driver's seat, the field of vision looking forward, sideways, and backwards out from the other side of the vehicle was very narrow. The side view mirror being on the door didn't help, and it seemed Iike it has a smaller windshield or something, and a support column in exactly the wrong place. When I commented about it, the sales person said she''d been hearing that lately a lot. It's certainly still drivable, but I wouldn't drive it and the IMO the problem is quite noticeable.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I've test driven the car a couple of times and thought visibility was great. Sedan version, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The blindspots are certainly larger than in the full sized sedans I'd driven previously but out the front of the car? I don't get that at all.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Michael Scott posted:

Most non-manual transmission manufacturers 'seal' their trannies with 'lifetime' fluid that should be replaced after 150k miles or so.

The modern Ford DCT is fine and should be as reliable as a traditional slushbox. I would bet $10k on it.

The Fusion is a drat nice car at an appropriate price point and I like the styling, too. Were you considering the Fiesta hatch or sedan? I got the sedan.

:)

Are you saying the DCT has no replaceable fluid at all? That would suck.. however I'm already committed!

The DCT is just like your posting: broken promises and an impending failure waiting to happen that was built on the promise of saving $2.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

berzerkmonkey posted:

drat. Of course the year I am up for buying a new car, Honda shoots itself in the foot. I guess I can be thankful I didn't pick one up last year and have to deal with the problems first hand.

Speaking of Mazda, I was looking at the the 3 as well - have you been able to find any stats on reliability? I've been coming up pretty short in that department, and it's one of the things steering me away from them. US News rates the 3 really highly, but gives them a 3 out of 5 on reliability, which is only slightly higher than the problem-filled TDI I currently own. I really don't want to be in the shop all the time with repairs that I shouldn't have to do.

The Skyactiv 2.0L motor has been in cars since 2012, and Mazda as a brand moved up a few places on the reliability charts this year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phone posted:

The DCT is just like your posting: broken promises and an impending failure waiting to happen that was built on the promise of saving $2.

I hate to be a part of the problem with new cars, but Ford put a 7 year / 100,000 mile full warranty on all the DCT-related parts in our Focus. Do that many people buy brand new 0 mile cars and keep them for longer than that period? The DCT isn't great, but its expensive future failure sounds like a problem for the next owner.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I hate to be a part of the problem with new cars, but Ford put a 7 year / 100,000 mile full warranty on all the DCT-related parts in our Focus. Do that many people buy brand new 0 mile cars and keep them for longer than that period? The DCT isn't great, but its expensive future failure sounds like a problem for the next owner.

I buy a car for as long as it will run reliably for me. I am in the minority though, as I also put 30,000 miles on a car in a year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I buy a car for as long as it will run reliably for me. I am in the minority though, as I also put 30,000 miles on a car in a year.

Do you buy them new, though? I get that people own cars for long periods of time, but I don't get why if you want a 6-12 year old 100k+ mile car you didn't just buy a used one in the first place.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh, that's fantastic. They gave you a 7 year or 100k mile warranty on a transmission that is sealed and the fluid is only good for 150k miles.

How generous.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you buy them new, though? I get that people own cars for long periods of time, but I don't get why if you want a 6-12 year old 100k+ mile car you didn't just buy a used one in the first place.

I am also curious about this. BTW my Ford has a powertrain-only warranty for 5 yrs/60k miles.

Phone don't be a jerk, my posting isn't that bad. My car might be, though.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

I am also curious about this. BTW my Ford has a powertrain-only warranty for 5 yrs/60k miles.

Phone don't be a jerk, my posting isn't that bad. My car might be, though.

Ah ha ha, your posting is worse than bad.

You fail to listen to good advice, can't understand why anyone would drive a manual, yet spout words like you have a hot clue about anything automotive.

Also, you are a racist shitheel, so get hosed, extra hard.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

New - why would I buy someone else's problems?

FYI, for TDI owners, Hyundai is going to be offering a really good deal for your business. I'm assuming this will mark the beginning of other brands doing the same.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not happy unless my car feels like an aircraft carrier.

I'd like to recommend a Duesenberg.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Blitter posted:

Ah ha ha, your posting is worse than bad.

You fail to listen to good advice, can't understand why anyone would drive a manual, yet spout words like you have a hot clue about anything automotive.

Also, you are a racist shitheel, so get hosed, extra hard.

I don't want to derail anything, only want to say that I am not a racist! Also I want to learn to drive manual, and I'm in this thread and AI to learn!

There was a dead meme on our PGS Counter-Strike server that I was a racist, despite never saying anything racist, so I played into it once trying to be funny and now it follows me. :( I should never have done that.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 29, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I was listening to one of the Cartalk Remix episodes earlier and they actually recommended a rental car over and off-lease car to buy. I thought that was a bit interesting.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
In the context of disobeying goon advice, my Fiesta was a prior rental. Its interior has some love marks from the thousands of people that have been inside it, but otherwise it was a very reasonable deal. I bought it for exactly what it was worth with its mileage, no more and no less.

However, the poster that warned against disobeying advice because your car will know you did so is absolutely right. Every time I look at my Ford, I hear the ghosts of a thousand knowledgable nerds raging.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
From my experience at the rental car counter, 90% of car renters are business travelers who want to go airport -> hotel -> meeting -> airport; or family travelers who want to go airport -> hotel -> Disneyland -> airport. There is probably 10%-ish who want to rent a car for prom night or whatever, but in my experience from driving a billion rental cars, they're in decent shape and you have basically guaranteed maintenance.

You do get some people who drive maniacally, but in a rental you only have them driving your car for a few days over a 1-2 year period, and when you buy a private-party used car, you are taking a risk at buying a car from the guy who drove the car like that every day.

My $0.02.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Just think of how many people farted into that seat, do you really want that? Really?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I drive 5k rental miles a year and I drive normally. I usually space out and listen to podcasts and try and not get speeding tickets.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

IRQ posted:

Just think of how many people farted into that seat, do you really want that? Really?
Assuming you're being serious, I don't see how it's any worse than the cumulative farts of one person. It's the same net amount of farts.

Unless you buy a car from a woman. They don't fart.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Say 1 in 100 drivers is an absolute shithead retard - if you buy an off rental car there's a strong chance that at some point it's been abused by a moron. Yes, most people drive rental cars normally, but so many people will have driven the car that inevitably a few of them will have abused the car without you being able to tell. If you buy a car private party you can almost always tell what type of person owned the car before.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think the point Tom and Ray were making was that even with 1/100 totally abusing the car, the car was properly maintained, while a car that came off lease has a good chance that regular maintenance was not done.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Due to some health issues, my father told me he is giving me 40k CAN that's to he used exclusively for a vehicle. I currently drive a 91 Toyota Pickup manual that I love. I wanted to get a new Tacoma trd off road double cab short box in manual, but the off road isn't available in Canada.

My options for a manual are 46 otd for a trd sport, or 60 otd for a trd pro. I do a lot of camping and off road driving so would I be stupid to just splurge and get the pro?

If I got the sport I'd need to spend at least a grand putting on new tires immediately.

Any advice?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

60K CAD for a Tacoma? Good grief.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

skipdogg posted:

60K CAD for a Tacoma? Good grief.

To be fair that like what, $25k Usa fun bucks?

In other news the Genesis G90 is a hell of a car for the money, and they are throwing like $10k cash on a lease since they can't figure out residuals or whatever reason.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
So I have an infant, a wife, a motorcycle, and a Toyota matrix. She's graduating in a few weeks and the weather sucks. We need another car.

My conundrum is that we're planning on having another kid in a year or two, and adopting some extras as finance permits.

Do I give in and buy a minivan now? Do I buy a second gen Prius and trade it in later? Can I lease something kind of cool to tote my son around in until we have another then buy a loving minivan?

Also I can buy a Ford Flex and pretend it's a station wagon, right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zosologist posted:

Also I can buy a Ford Flex and pretend it's a station wagon, right?

Do this.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
∆∆∆ this is what I really want to do, but was concerned it was a terrible idea.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not fully convinced that you need a minivan or similar sized vehicle for two kids.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Prius question - highway speed is usually around 70-75mph if traffic is light. How much impact on MPG will the Prius take at those speeds? Do the 4th gen models handle ok at constant high travel speeds?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

To be fair that like what, $25k Usa fun bucks?

In other news the Genesis G90 is a hell of a car for the money, and they are throwing like $10k cash on a lease since they can't figure out residuals or whatever reason.

Those are great cars but they are huge, heavy, and thirsty as hell.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Prius question - highway speed is usually around 70-75mph if traffic is light. How much impact on MPG will the Prius take at those speeds? Do the 4th gen models handle ok at constant high travel speeds?

MPG drops pretty quick over 60 in any car. The Prius will handle those speeds fine for as long as you want.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

MPG drops pretty quick over 60 in any car. The Prius will handle those speeds fine for as long as you want.

I pull 42 MPG in the TDI just fine at 80. I'm torn between the Civic EX-T and the Prius, and if the Prius is able to keep up the high mileage at a good speed, that may be the determining factor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are going to have two car seats and can afford it get a big loving car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

berzerkmonkey posted:

Fuel economy increases because the aero drag on a car increases as a square function of frontal area and coefficient of drag. The Prius already has a low coefficient of drag, and no more height or frontal area than any other car with the same carrying capacity. The only way another car could be *more efficient* would be if it was significantly smaller, like if you switched the Prius engine and tires on to a Corvette or something.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Fuel economy increases because the aero drag on a car increases as a square function of frontal area and coefficient of drag. The Prius already has a low coefficient of drag, and no more height or frontal area than any other car with the same carrying capacity. The only way another car could be *more efficient* would be if it was significantly smaller, like if you switched the Prius engine and tires on to a Corvette or something.

Ok, I was reading on some posts saying that people were seeing drops down to the low 40s (which is obviously still good mpg,) but there were also hypermileing maniacs in the mix, so I didn't know how much information was true, and how much was "I heard from a friend who saw a spreadsheet..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
A prius isn't going to lose any more mpg at 70ish mph than any other car due to the low drag. Due to the CVT, it can likely keep better gearing too.