Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I agree with 1st AD, but until you get better hardware (like an iMac) try this:

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/premiere-pro-quick-tip-how-to-create-proxies/

It's basically what Thoogsby suggested, but you should try making your proxy files really small and low-res.

Edit: I realize I just described what a proxy is, but you know...wanted to drive the point home.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Power Walrus posted:

Edit: I realize I just described what a proxy is, but you know...wanted to drive the point home.

Please, drive it all the way home. Like I said, total noob here. Those five videos on my channel are all I've made!

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Hey guys, I'm not entirely sure if I'm in the right thread but hey, here goes nothing.

I've been starting to make some audio spectrum videos for my music to go on YouTube and I'm running into problems rendering them. I've looked on YouTube for 'THE BEST YOUTUBE RENDER SETTINGS!!!' but every video says something completely different.

From what I've gathered h.264 is the way to go. Is it really worth rendering in 1080? Or is 720p60fps good enough? I dunno, I'm just looking for some general rendering tips I guess.

I'm having a LOT of fun either way with After Effects- I think it's a lot like the creativity required to make music, but visual instead. Babby's first video :3:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zeldadude posted:

Hey guys, I'm not entirely sure if I'm in the right thread but hey, here goes nothing.

I've been starting to make some audio spectrum videos for my music to go on YouTube and I'm running into problems rendering them. I've looked on YouTube for 'THE BEST YOUTUBE RENDER SETTINGS!!!' but every video says something completely different.

From what I've gathered h.264 is the way to go. Is it really worth rendering in 1080? Or is 720p60fps good enough? I dunno, I'm just looking for some general rendering tips I guess.

I'm having a LOT of fun either way with After Effects- I think it's a lot like the creativity required to make music, but visual instead. Babby's first video :3:

If you're going out of AE... instead of rendering within AE, go to Export > Add to Media Encoder Queue and pick the YouTube 1080p preset. There ya go! (and might as well make it 1080p)

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

BonoMan posted:

If you're going out of AE... instead of rendering within AE, go to Export > Add to Media Encoder Queue and pick the YouTube 1080p preset. There ya go! (and might as well make it 1080p)

I actually tried that but I kept getting an XML error that it would never move past. I'll do some more Google searching to see if I can figure out a workaround. Cheers!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zeldadude posted:

I actually tried that but I kept getting an XML error that it would never move past. I'll do some more Google searching to see if I can figure out a workaround. Cheers!

Yeah that's weird.... can't imagine what would cause that. It should be really straightforward.

Also CC 2017 came out today. Awwwww yeah

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hoo boy, too superstitious to update in the middle of a job though. Anything new/exciting under the hood?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

zeldadude posted:

Try messing with some of the settings. Happens to me, and it usually gets fixed if I customize it a bit. An extra pass with VBR or something.

Also i don't know if it matters to you, but a lot of people upload it in mono to make it easier and so you don't have audio only coming out of one speaker.

Double check your source material too and double check if you rendered everything first (hit enter on the timeline)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hoo boy, too superstitious to update in the middle of a job though. Anything new/exciting under the hood?

I don't think that's "superstitious" as much as it's "standard operating procedure" :).

Premiere and AE both have healthy updates with, supposedly realtime playback in AE loving finally.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

I don't think that's "superstitious" as much as it's "standard operating procedure" :).

Premiere and AE both have healthy updates with, supposedly realtime playback in AE loving finally.

Hah yeah, but I won't even update at home until something's done, you never know...

zeldadude posted:

As mentioned above check all your project settings and source files, could be as simple as your audio sample rate being mismatched.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

zeldadude posted:

You can also try exporting from AE uncompressed or ProRes, then running that file through Media Encoder with the YouTube preset. I make a lot of videos that have all kinds of weird stuff going on in them, so I do that if AE or Premiere gives me any guff.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

BonoMan posted:

Also CC 2017 came out today. Awwwww yeah
Finally we have clip stitching! My life with Odyssey stitchers has become less annoying.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Question about Premiere proxies:

I recorded video and audio from separate sources with the intention of piecing them together. What's the cleanest and easiest way to do this with proxies?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Unmature posted:

Question about Premiere proxies:

I recorded video and audio from separate sources with the intention of piecing them together. What's the cleanest and easiest way to do this with proxies?

Basically after you sync the audio with the sound (do you have useful timecode? If not I hope you have a visual/audio cue like a clapper) you just need to make sure you keep the same video file names when you export your proxies, that way it's a simple task of relinking to the original files.

Resolve is free and very simple to sync and export sequences as individual clips, I like using that for proxies.

Actually scratch that, do what they said.
\/\/\/

My brain was stuck in dailies work flow. Export proxies in Media Encoder, keep the same file names, sync in premiere, edit, then replace footage when done.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Why no t just link the clips?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So, I'm going to get a new computer to help with editing. I've been recommended this one for my budget: https://www.amazon.com/CybertronPC-...lectrum+Desktop

Any thoughts?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Unmature posted:

So, I'm going to get a new computer to help with editing. I've been recommended this one for my budget: https://www.amazon.com/CybertronPC-...lectrum+Desktop

Any thoughts?

Should be plenty IMO. I edit on a Mac because I just like them and their OSX better. If you want to go that route, look into a refurbished MacBook Pro. My buddy got one and swiped the HD out for an SSD with 16gig of RAM and After Effects opened up like it was an app. It was crazy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Unmature posted:

Any thoughts?

Looks kind of like poo poo?

In non-snarky answers, you'll need to back up and tell us what kind of editing you need to do and what your deliverables are, etc.

What's your budget?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Soulex posted:

Should be plenty IMO. I edit on a Mac because I just like them and their OSX better. If you want to go that route, look into a refurbished MacBook Pro. My buddy got one and swiped the HD out for an SSD with 16gig of RAM and After Effects opened up like it was an app. It was crazy.

I'd much prefer a Mac, just can't afford it right now.

BonoMan posted:

Looks kind of like poo poo?

In non-snarky answers, you'll need to back up and tell us what kind of editing you need to do and what your deliverables are, etc.

What's your budget?

Trying to stick to around $4-500. My editing isn't heavy duty or anything, but I'd like to learn more stuff. My current laptop can't handle poo poo.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Question for people in here: my wife and I are travel bloggers and I've been doing some small vignettes about particular days or experiences on our travels. Nothing fancy, just a few minutes set to music of mostly action-ish clips, no interviews or anything like that.

The problem I'm having is that I feel very overwhelmed with the amount of footage I'm shooting, and finding a quick way to sort out the great from the okay from the use-in-a-pinch from the garbage. As an example, we've just been out snorkelling today on a beautiful island in the Philippines. I've just watched through my rushes and I've got an hour of GoPro footage to use, all in about 250 files.

Is there any software out there I can use to tag or annotate my footage? Editing metadata, essentially, where I can tag clips 1-25 of the boat ride, clip 47 has an interesting fish, clip 420 is boring and useless for 20 seconds but then a shark swims through. Ideally something that plugs into Premiere as well would be ideal! How do other people go about managing this issue?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried prelude? I think that's generally what it's for and since it's part of creative suite you might already have it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You could always put it in bins.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

powderific posted:

Have you tried prelude? I think that's generally what it's for and since it's part of creative suite you might already have it.

I have no idea how I missed Prelude :downs:
Looks like exactly what I'm looking for, I'll give it a shot thanks!

I tried using bins but since I'm on a tiny laptop (Surface Pro 4), I kept finding myself running out of screen real estate.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Use the ~ (the key next to 1) to expand and collapse the bins panel. This will work for any panel you have clicked on.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

WebDog posted:

Use the ~ (the key next to 1) to expand and collapse the bins panel. This will work for any panel you have clicked on.

Holy loving poo poo this has just changed my life :aaaaa:

Premiere on a tiny laptop has become bearable again!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yup, it works for things like After Effects too! Sometimes you have a ton of layers and need to fill the screen with them to find something. Tilde. Boom!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

webmeister posted:

I remember having the same reaction when I found this out. On dual monitors too.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

webmeister posted:

This was a game changer for me as well (on a 5K iMac!). It makes full-screening the Program window unbelievably easy when I need to show an edit to my boss or coworker.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Clap posted:

This was a game changer for me as well (on a 5K iMac!). It makes full-screening the Program window unbelievably easy when I need to show an edit to my boss or coworker.

Gah! Editing on a single screen system is still a thing people do? 2 minimum, 3 preferable (gotta get that video preview to it's own monitor!).

I mean I get it with laptops, but you got a 5K iMac son.... add a monitor!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
3? Preview on one, timeline on another? And scopes on the third?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

That tilde thing honestly should be a loading screen tip or something instead of it displaying the hundreds of DLLs getting loaded

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thehustler posted:

Preview on one, timeline on one, bin and effects panels on the third.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

webmeister posted:

That tilde thing honestly should be a loading screen tip or something instead of it displaying the hundreds of DLLs getting loaded
I got shown it at some Adobe road show conference they had. Everyone pretty much went "ooooohh". It's pretty much universal across all of the video apps and is something I always include when teaching.

Along with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKYuF9pENQ

thehustler posted:

In my perfect setup I'd like.

1: Bins, control panels and source monitor (or swap to scopes).
2: Timeline and program - kinda tempting to get a super wide monitor for this.
3: Nice big monitor that's on the wall for colour checking.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WebDog posted:

1: Bins, control panels and source monitor (or swap to scopes).
2: Timeline and program - kinda tempting to get a super wide monitor for this.
3: Nice big monitor that's on the wall for colour checking.

All of our stations are setup with two monitors (timeline/source + bins/etc) plus the third usually being a nice HDTV as the program. And it's placed back and away so fellow employees/clients in our offices can use it as their viewing platform as well.

Also our colorist has a fourth, FSI monitor (sup 17" $2500 monitor goddamn).

We have some super wides and really it's only great if you're going to use it for the timeline only. It's so, literally, stretched thin that you won't get meaningful program viewing on it.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

BonoMan posted:

Gah! Editing on a single screen system is still a thing people do? 2 minimum, 3 preferable (gotta get that video preview to it's own monitor!).

I mean I get it with laptops, but you got a 5K iMac son.... add a monitor!

Oh I have a second monitor haha, I just tend to fill it up with Trello/Slack/Google Docs and other production-related stuff. Truthfully I have tried putting program or other Premiere windows over there and something about it just doesn't feel right. It has to do with the head-swivel in order to see things, I much prefer having Premiere on the single monitor. With the high pixel density of the 5K iMac I feel pretty good about my screen real estate, nothing to complain about.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I can't really edit on multiple monitors. Like having a program monitor/preview on one and then timeline and bins on another is fine, but more than that and it's kind of annoying.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

BonoMan posted:

Also our colorist has a fourth, FSI monitor (sup 17" $2500 monitor goddamn).

Accuracy is expensive... and necessary for any color work. My FSI cost me ~7k. Never regret buying it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there any good free resources to start really learning to edit? I'll get into Lynda and stuff, but first I'd like to find a good place for exercises and lessons on the cheap.

Basically make me KaptainKristian for free.

EDIT:
Cool, this looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Unmature fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 19, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Vimeo has it's film school.
https://vimeo.com/blog/search?q=editing

And a group called Framelines has some okish footage to use for practice.
https://vimeo.com/154497263

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know how to achieve this effect in After Effects CC?

The way that connecting line follows the circle outline, while the circle outline tracks the boxer's hand. Neat effect, but I'm not quite sure how to get that connecting line to follow a specific target. Any advice on how to do this?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 19, 2016