Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
gently caress yes.
Can't believe Touch is finally going to be here in under a month. It's been a loving long time coming.
Also just noticed there's a new app category on Home, 'Gallery Apps':

quote:

Gallery Apps is a less-filtered collection of submissions from creators across the spectrum of VR development. While we curate the rest of our Store, our usual approaches to comfort, value, and polish for Gallery Apps are relaxed.
Looks like it's just Concepts renamed, but perhaps with lower content standards.

Also also, hadn't twigged that Obduction had a VR release yesterday, the environments look pretty awesome: http://www.roadtovr.com/obduction-vr-review-oculus-rift-myst-vr/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if I want to buy Obduction on the Oculus store for ease of launching or on Steam for the ability to also play in not VR. Or maybe wait for a steam sale. So far there's no talk of getting Oculus keys or vice versa from the devs. Is it possible to add third party games/apps to Oculus home yet? I know they mentioned the feature coming eventually but they also promised "VR screenshots" which never happened.

Edit: I also saw the daydream headset at Best Buy when my mom wanted to look at the Pixel.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 2, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if I want to buy Obduction on the Oculus store for ease of launching or on Steam for the ability to also play in not VR. Or maybe wait for a steam sale. So far there's no talk of getting Oculus keys or vice versa from the devs. Is it possible to add third party games/apps to Oculus home yet? I know they mentioned the feature coming eventually but they also promised "VR screenshots" which never happened.

Edit: I also saw the daydream headset at Best Buy when my mom wanted to look at the Pixel.

You can launch Oculus Home games in 2d mode by right-clicking on them in Home and selecting "Start in Desktop Mode" They really need to make that more obvious, imo.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Is it possible to add third party games/apps to Oculus home yet? I know they mentioned the feature coming eventually
Really? I figured they weren't going to do this, in order to try and keep more sales on Home. If a game is on both platforms I'll always just wait until it's in a steam sale then buy it...

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Screwing around with locomotion methods is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0poaEuqkrFU

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
I went back a couple of pages and didn't see anything about this.

What do you guys think about the FOVE that just opened for preorders? A VR headset with built-in eye tracking, which is pretty much what I've been waiting for, and at a pretty nice price, around 600 USD. No tracked controllers as far as I can tell, though.

Details and a video here: https://www.getfove.com/

fake e: Gotta love when the anime girl shows up, and the eye marker goes straight to her breasts.

actual e: Actually, I don't know if that's a nice price, I was comparing pre-tax FOVE to post-tax Vive

Anta fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 2, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Anta posted:

What do you guys think about the FOVE that just opened for preorders? A VR headset with built-in eye tracking, which is pretty much what I've been waiting for, and at a pretty nice price, around 600 USD. No tracked controllers as far as I can tell, though.

70fps is an uncomfortably low framerate for a VR headset. Eye-tracking is useless if software doesn't support it - and the majority of FOVE's library is going to be SteamVR/OSVR titles, which won't. It also doesn't have any corresponding tracked hand controllers yet, so it's going to be a lot harder to use any motion controlled games with it.

So wait for reviews and proven software, basically. Eye-tracking is a valuable feature, but only once it's properly supported in games.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

NRVNQSR posted:

70fps is an uncomfortably low framerate for a VR headset. Eye-tracking is useless if software doesn't support it - and the majority of FOVE's library is going to be SteamVR/OSVR titles, which won't. It also doesn't have any corresponding tracked hand controllers yet, so it's going to be a lot harder to use any motion controlled games with it.

So wait for reviews and proven software, basically. Eye-tracking is a valuable feature, but only once it's properly supported in games.

So it's basically a development kit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah its important that it exists but I think it would be a big mistake to get one as your primary consumer VR headset. They support OpenVR and OSVR which is great, but their native SDK seems fairly loving primitive, like a full year+ behind Oculus and OpenVR. Who knows if their system software supports multiple trackers so room scale prospects are a big question mark, no prospect for hand controllers unless you happen to have a pair of Hydras already (or if good third party hand controllers come out at some point), and its doubtful if any software will actually come out that supports its eye tracking.

Might be fun to gently caress around with if you wanted to blow $600 and mess with eye tracking, but that's a pretty small niche.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Have they announced what positional tracking it will use? I think it will be best to wait for a bigger name to come out with an eye tracking headset.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

70 FPS is not a deal breaker. Honestly, 30 FPS isn't a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker for VR is a fluctuating framerate and while I don't understand the term at all, frame pacing is also important(?). So long as there is consistency it should be more or less fine. Personally I'd like to be able to cap certain performance intensive games to 60 rather than 90, since (to me at least) static 60 and static 90 are indistinguishable, but jolts from 90 to 70 definitely are even though I never drop below 60.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

70 FPS is not a deal breaker. Honestly, 30 FPS isn't a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker for VR is a fluctuating framerate and while I don't understand the term at all, frame pacing is also important(?). So long as there is consistency it should be more or less fine. Personally I'd like to be able to cap certain performance intensive games to 60 rather than 90, since (to me at least) static 60 and static 90 are indistinguishable, but jolts from 90 to 70 definitely are even though I never drop below 60.

On which headset, with which options? With reprojection on the Vive, going from 90 > 70 bumps you into reprojected-45fps iirc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

while I don't understand the term at all, frame pacing is also important(?).

Frame pacing refers to the consistency of the interval between frames. If your game is producing frames exactly once every 16ms, for thousands of frames in a row, you have a rock-solid 60fps and it feels good. If your game mostly hits the 16ms deadline, but every couple of frames one only takes 12 or takes up to 20, you might still be averaging 60fps on paper and in the benchmark tool but it'll feel bad.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 2, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Have they announced what positional tracking it will use? I think it will be best to wait for a bigger name to come out with an eye tracking headset.

"IR-based tracking" with a camera (possibly sold separately), so it's going to be roughly equivalent to constellation. Probably proprietary rather than constellation itself, since you'd expect one or the other of FOVE or Oculus would announce it if it were.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I was trying to find a picture of its trackers but they apparently don't exist anywhere on the internet, but afaik just a camera and a constellation of IR LEDs, like the Rift. Wonder about camera resolution/FOV

There is a huge loving difference between 30 on a monitor and 30 in a HMD. GearVR is 60 and the DK2 was 75 and that area is probably the threshold of comfortable VR for most people (with good screens), but the difference between that and 90hz in a Rift/Vive is dramatic and obvious.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SteamVR by default only renders at 90 or 45 FPS, so I don't know what you're talking about. There is also an option to force 45 FPS. It's when a game starts missing frames at 45 FPS that things really go to poo poo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, and running it at 45hz feels baaaad, and that's with reprojection

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

homeless snail posted:

There is a huge loving difference between 30 on a monitor and 30 in a HMD. GearVR is 60 and the DK2 was 75 and that area is probably the threshold of comfortable VR for most people (with good screens), but the difference between that and 90hz in a Rift/Vive is dramatic and obvious.

I really don't see it. I don't see differences in FPS at all unless it's side to side or it's varying. Didn't even know Steam VR only did 90 or 45, that's kinda weird.

ChickenArise posted:

On which headset, with which options? With reprojection on the Vive, going from 90 > 70 bumps you into reprojected-45fps iirc.

I use the Vive with reprojection, usually don't have a problem with it until the framerate dips horribly. Is there a button to just say "stick to 45" for more intensive games like DCS World?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Do you have an Nvidia GPU? If so, install the SteamVR beta and turn on asynchronous reprojection. This will improve your DCS experience immensely.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I use the Vive with reprojection, usually don't have a problem with it until the framerate dips horribly. Is there a button to just say "stick to 45" for more intensive games like DCS World?
Yeah, you're running with reprojection, meaning the Vive is still 90hz and its inserting timewarped frames to fill in the missing ones, you're still feeling the benefit of a 90hz screen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

BMan posted:

Do you have an Nvidia GPU? If so, install the SteamVR beta and turn on asynchronous reprojection. This will improve your DCS experience immensely.

Should I turn off the other forms of reprojection, or just turn everything on then?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I expect FOVEs biggest impact in the industry to be in the cinema and arcade space and proving that eye tracking is a necessity for future HMDs. The headset that I got to try at SIGGRAPH recently was really slick, and performance felt quite good. The eye tracking is astonishingly fast and with foveated rendering will make for a much better experience. NVIDIA was also showing off their eye tracking and foveated rendering so I really wouldn't be surprised to see those show up in the next major VIVE and RIFT SKUs.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Should I turn off the other forms of reprojection, or just turn everything on then?

I'll just quote the thing from the valve post:

quote:

* Notes on async reprojection:

Requires Nvidia driver version 372.54 or newer.
AMD not supported in this version.
Can be disabled in SteamVR settings under Performance by unchecking "Allow asynchronous reprojection".
Current status is listed in the lower left section of SteamVR Settings (Async Reprojection On/Off). If you have "Allow asynchronous reprojection" checked, but are still seeing Async Reprojection Off on the left, this means it is not supported on your current setup - see above for requirements.
Frame timing graph has been updated to show the number of times each frame has been presented (white line in the stacked cpu graph) and the number of times each frame has been reprojected to a different vsync than originally rendered for (red line on the stacked gpu graph).
"Allow interleaved reprojection" checkbox still applies in async mode. It controls whether the application is dropped to 45hz when not making framerate, or if it is allowed to get further and further behind until a frame winds up getting presented twice. This leads to less positional judder, but that judder is more random (which tends to be more annoying).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gearman posted:

NVIDIA was also showing off their eye tracking and foveated rendering so I really wouldn't be surprised to see those show up in the next major VIVE and RIFT SKUs.

They are already working on it. Or at least oculus is.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm sure Valve is looking into it as well. I would be entirely unsurprised if it was a feature of the second generation Rift/Vive (along with higher res screens).

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Guys, Obduction is the tits. Tops Chronos as my #1 game by a decent margin.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Obduction is pretty good. It isn't the best performing game, though. If you have a GTX 970, prepare for poo poo textures and horrible pop-in. They claim you need a GTX 980 and 16 GB of RAM because they are pushing visual fidelity to its limits, but I've seen much better looking games in VR that play perfect on my GTX 970.

Also, I had originally tried it while standing up with the Oculus Remote and using classic Myst style teleporting, but the teleportation node system is horribly designed. You have to kind of look all over to find possible nodes to teleport to, and often times you will get stuck in a node that doesn't link to anything else. And many times you will run into situations where you are trying to walk down a path, but there is no node, but then you realize that the node that links into the path is actually literally two feet away from you.

So yeah, I gave up with that and now I just sit and free-walk with the Xbox controller.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 4, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Nalin posted:

Obduction is pretty good. It isn't the best performing game, though. If you have a GTX 970, prepare for poo poo textures and horrible pop-in. They claim you need a GTX 980 and 16 GB of RAM because they are pushing visual fidelity to its limits, but I've seen much better looking games in VR that play perfect on my GTX 970.

Also, I had originally tried it while standing up with the Oculus Remote and using classic Myst style teleporting, but the teleportation node system is horribly designed. You have to kind of look all over to find possible nodes to teleport to, and often times you will get stuck in a node that doesn't link to anything else. And many times you will run into situations where you are trying to walk down a path, but there is no node, but then you realize that the node that links into the path is actually literally two feet away from you.

So yeah, I gave up with that and now I just sit and free-walk with the Xbox controller.

The remote should snap turn you to teleportation nodes if you have free movement turned off, does it not work for you?

As an aside, they announced they have already implemented smooth rotation and are just waiting for it to pass certification, so I'm gonna wait until that's out. I HATE snap turning. Nothing takes me out of a game more than teleporting all over the place and having my view snap to some preset degrees.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 4, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Poetic Justice posted:

The remote should snap turn you to teleportation nodes if you have free movement turned off, does it not work for you?

As an aside, they announced they have already implemented smooth rotation and are just waiting for it to pass certification, so I'm gonna wait until that's out. I HATE snap turning. Nothing takes me out of a game more than teleporting all over the place and having my view snap to some preset degrees.

I didn't know that it made you face the nearest node. I would mainly just turn my whole body around to try to find the nodes and only use the turn when I wanted to re-align myself to avoid getting tangled in the cord.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I bought Floor Plan for Gear VR a couple of weeks ago while it was on sale for $3.00 or so, and I can say that it's a very enjoyable experience that works around the current locomotion issues of VR in a clever way. Think Elevator: Source for Garry's Mod, but with an actual goal. I got about an hour's worth out of it, which was just about right for what I paid. No real replay value, aside from something to demo to friends, so the $7.00 normal price may be a little high (I feel as though $4.99 would be just right).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Floor plan is really good. But you can only play it once. I'm going to pick up obduction when I get back.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I like the look of Obduction but I'm probably going to wait until they add motion controls.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Nalin posted:

Yeah I'm on a 980 and the performance isn't steller, but ASW definitely helps. I switched off that node teleport really quick and stand using the oculus remote and free move. Works well!

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

SwissCM posted:

I like the look of Obduction but I'm probably going to wait until they add motion controls.

I wouldn't count on this happening.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Yeah I'm on a 980 and the performance isn't steller, but ASW definitely helps. I switched off that node teleport really quick and stand using the oculus remote and free move. Works well!

I had tried that briefly, but I kept wanted to lean into my movement and I was getting off-balance, so I had to sit down. I can do free movement perfectly fine sitting down, but not while standing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fleedar posted:

I wouldn't count on this happening.

Why is that? Last I heard it was a planned feature.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

SwissCM posted:

Why is that? Last I heard it was a planned feature.
I saw a mention of it being 'on the cards' in this Verge article but apart from that haven't heard anything: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/10/12864598/obduction-myst-cyan-worlds-virtual-reality

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So the futuremark people finally released their VRmark test https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/vrmark.

Download today and get your free credit VR score.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Obduction pushed out a hotfix to allow smooth thumbstick rotation. To enable it, make sure it's updated and

posted:

make sure you have launched the game at least once in VR, and that the game is not currently running

from Windows desktop, click Start or press the Windows key on your keyboard, and enter this: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Obduction\Saved\Config\ConfigVR\WindowsNoEditor

using a text editor, such as Notepad, open the GameUserSettings.ini file find the setting named FreeIntenseSmoothTurning, change it from false to true, and save the file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
PC gaming never changes.