Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Enfys posted:

I guess Jack Reacher probably has super strength of something, but getting 5 dead bodies into a wheelbarrow (what kind of giant wheelbarrow fits 5 adult men?) and then stuffing them into a car is a pretty insane

Well keep in mind he also has the insane strength to hold and fire a handgun capable of sending a man flying through the air without the kick breaking both of his wrists and the gun smashing against his sternum or face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well keep in mind he also has the insane strength to hold and fire a handgun capable of sending a man flying through the air without the kick breaking both of his wrists and the gun smashing against his sternum or face

A literal hand cannon.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

same

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I bet you plebs scoff at Samson and his jawbone too

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Jack Reacher in a crowded airport posted:

Now I was going in the right direction, but the walkway was a solid mass of people just standing still on it. Content with the snail’s pace the rubber floor was carrying them. They were standing three abreast. No way through at all. I climbed up onto the narrow handrail and tried to walk along it like a tightrope. I had to crouch because I couldn’t balance. I fell heavily to my right. Got carried five yards the wrong way before I could struggle up. I looked around in panic. Through the glass, I could see Molly was being crowded into the baggage claim. I could see Roscoe and Finlay were way behind me. I was moving slowly the wrong way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Short sentences. Accentuate the drama. Of waiting in a queue.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

What a thriller

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

I remember that scene. I listened on audiobook, so I don't know for certain, but I imagine after that followed several pages of Jack Reacher getting relentlessly buffeted around by crowds, absolutely unable to help himself in any way. Lasted about 10 minutes in the recording.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

UWBW posted:

"He was in a room that was small, a small room. The room was much lower than the maximum of my height, and I knew it. He knew it too, because he wouldn't have chosen a small room without giving thought to the room being this small. That's why he chose a small room. Little did he know, I had a small dog strapped to each of my knees, so I could kneel down and still retain most of my movement speed in the small room."

I imagine it went something like that.

He was adrift. The world had flipped underneath him. All his life, to be taller had been to be better. More dominant, more powerful, more noticed, more advantaged. You got credibility, you got treated with respect, you got promoted faster , you earned more, you got elected to things. Statistics bore it out. You won fights, you got less hassle, you ruled the yard. To be born tall was to win life’s lottery. Born small, two strikes against. But not down there. Down there to be tall was a losing ticket. Down there was a world where the small guy could win.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

He was adrift. The world had flipped underneath him. All his life, to be taller had been to be better. More dominant, more powerful, more noticed, more advantaged. You got credibility, you got treated with respect, you got promoted faster , you earned more, you got elected to things. Statistics bore it out. You won fights, you got less hassle, you ruled the yard. To be born tall was to win life’s lottery. Born small, two strikes against. But not down there. Down there to be tall was a losing ticket. Down there was a world where the small guy could win.

Holy poo poo, is this a real quote from one of the books? I actually cannot tell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That's really how the book describes the tiny rooms Jack Reacher has to fight tiny Mexican guy in, yes.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
How the heck did Tom Cruise get cast as this tall man in the movies?

On the subject of airport fiction, is there anything out there that's actually worthwhile? I've read all of Sue Grafton's books and I thought they were decent, and I read one Grisham back in the day and thought I might read another eventually, but everything else I've skimmed didn't seem worth the trouble. I like junk food reading as long as it's not complete crap.

EDIT: I suppose my lower limit for crap is Dan Brown; I mindlessly read through his books during the Da Vinci Code days and tolerated them until it was clear I was just reading Mad Libs. Haven't read another one since then.

oopsie rock fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 2, 2016

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

That's really how the book describes the tiny rooms Jack Reacher has to fight tiny Mexican guy in, yes.

Part of me can't believe that's a real quote. The other part of me wants to believe.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

The only thing I know about Jack Reacher is from the shadow recruit movie with Kevin Costner, which I loved. But this kind of poo poo makes me actually want to pick up one of the books, specifically whichever one this comes from.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

oopsie rock posted:

On the subject of airport fiction, is there anything out there that's actually worthwhile? I've read all of Sue Grafton's books and I thought they were decent, and I read one Grisham back in the day and thought I might read another eventually, but everything else I've skimmed didn't seem worth the trouble. I like junk food reading as long as it's not complete crap.

Early Stephen Hunter is a lot of fun, Michael Connelly is solid, Elmore Leonard is fantastic and I hear a lot of good things about Don Winslow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

When he was still seventy yards short of the turn he saw lights in the east. Pulsing red and blue strobes, a mile away, coming on fast. The reflectivity of the snow made it look like there was a whole lit-up acre on the move. Like a UFO gliding in to land. A huge bright dancing circle of horizontal light. He hustled hard to meet it. His feet slipped and skated. His arms thrashed and windmilled. His face was already frozen. It felt like it had been beaten with a bat and then anesthetized by a dentist. The cop car was doing sixty miles an hour, on chains and winter tires. He was doing three miles an hour, on legs that were stiff and slow and unresponsive. He was slipping and sliding, like running in place. Like a slapstick movie.

Lee Child is a master wordsmith. A genius.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

So is Jack Reacher supposed to be an awesome badass or a complete buffoon? He seems to be amazing at killing people and terrible at normal human things like walking.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I wish there was a way to do a Jack Reacher Let's Read thread.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I wish there was a way to do a Jack Reacher Let's Read thread.

There is. Cyrano4747 is currently doing a Let's Read of horrible John Ringo novels:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751991&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Enfys posted:

So is Jack Reacher supposed to be an awesome badass or a complete buffoon? He seems to be amazing at killing people and terrible at normal human things like walking.

You're kind of right across the board. He's an amazing soldier. Or at least, he's amazing at being what a 12 year old thinks a soldier is. But he's also an idiot. He couldn't figure out how to pour water out of a boot if you put the instructions on the heel.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

UWBW posted:

You're kind of right across the board. He's an amazing soldier. Or at least, he's amazing at being what a 12 year old thinks a soldier is. But he's also an idiot. He couldn't figure out how to pour water out of a boot if you put the instructions on the heel.

So maybe 3-4 years old irl?

Disclaimer: I've only seen the first Tom Cruise movie, and I got really annoyed by how smug his character was. There was nothing he didn't have all figured out in advance, but just didn't tell Rosamund Pike. Also wasting Duvall as a boring gun-man. It was just a bad movie.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 5, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Are you Snapchat a Titty? Your av looks similar. If you are, why did you change the best user name on SA and how can we persuade you to change it back?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Do you like books? Do you like free books? Do you like books as a Christmas present? Do you like spreading joy and cheer amongst huankind, or at least goonkind, at Christmas? If the answer to these questions is yes, hop over to the Secret Santa thread and sign up!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Are you Snapchat a Titty? Your av looks similar. If you are, why did you change the best user name on SA and how can we persuade you to change it back?

I am, or was I guess. I was tired of it & needed a change :shrug:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Powaqoatse posted:

I am, or was I guess. I was tired of it & needed a change :shrug:

As a non-user, I will never be able to see the word "snapchat" without mentally adding "a titty"

Thank you for your service

:patriot:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

As a non-user, I will never be able to see the word "snapchat" without mentally adding "a titty"

Thank you for your service

:patriot:

Same. I actually kept thinking people were talking about me when they were talking about the app :negative:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Powaqoatse posted:

Same. I actually kept thinking people were talking about me when they were talking about the app :negative:

:hfive: Same. I began thinking the protagonist of Kafka's Trial had a day job posting on a dead gay comedy website.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
If anyone out there has played the Witcher series and read the books, what are the actual books in the series I should be reading? Is there an actual start and finish or are they all just random Gerald mini stories?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Can anyone remind me of a book title? The book I recall was video game-related, but not actually based on a video game; rather, it was some strange kid's account of his life and how growing up with video games affected him. Or maybe it was more abstract than that, I dunno. He also had a blog, and I seem to recall stuff like him being afraid of blue water (because blue water in video games = death), but clear water was fine so he could drink from the tap at home. A lot of weird logic like that. I think the guy who wrote it had some OCD-like issues and other problems, but I can't remember the dude's name for the life of me.

E: Nevermind, finally found his 90's style blog after googling bullshit about "fear of blue water" several times. The author is "ulillillia" (Nick Smith) and the book title is The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters. Never doubt the power of typing in the same things into google but wording them slightly differently. :science:

Appoda fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 16, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Are we seriously only going to have seven people participate in the Secret Santa? There's less than a week to sign up.

What's wrong with you people? Don't you like books?

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Are we seriously only going to have seven people participate in the Secret Santa? There's less than a week to sign up.

I'm a heathen who listens to books on tape because I don't have time to sit down and read.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

If anyone out there has played the Witcher series and read the books, what are the actual books in the series I should be reading? Is there an actual start and finish or are they all just random Gerald mini stories?

The wikipedia page answers this, doesn't it? There's two short story collections, a five-book series, and one standalone novel.

If you want to read the whole thing in internal chronological order, I think what you're after is The Last Wish, Season of Storms, Sword of Destiny, and then the five "main" novels.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The novels are loving dreadful, I remember liking the last wish (I was 16 so no guarantee of quality but I was also 16 when I read the first novel and it was definitely bad)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

The problem is that the only people participating are book barn posters

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Franchescanado posted:

I don't want new books. I'm not asking my family or bf for any books this Christmas. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of unread books I own. It's somewhere around 500. It will take me years and years to reduce that. The only exception is if one of my top few authors releases a new novel, it goes to the top of my list. I've only bought like 6 books this year and it's been such a relief.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
thanks hedrigall we were really wondering about your specific reasons for not signing up for the secret santa

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Hedrigall posted:

I don't want new books. I'm not asking my family or bf for any books this Christmas. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of unread books I own. It's somewhere around 500. It will take me years and years to reduce that. The only exception is if one of my top few authors releases a new novel, it goes to the top of my list. I've only bought like 6 books this year and it's been such a relief.

How did you amass so many books without reading them? Are you making good headway with some of them?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not going to force Secret Santa-ing down anyone's throat, but let's imagine these are FAQs. If anyone does have any actual questions please feel free to ask them here or in the thread.

quote:

I'm a heathen who listens to books on tape because I don't have time to sit down and read.

Audiobooks are a-ok in the Santa. I did say you must accept a physical gift, but that was because I'm a luddite and thought there might be some issue with buying audiobooks in one country and sending them to another. I imagine most people won't have a problem.

Hedrigall posted:

I don't want new books. [...] The only exception is if one of my top few authors releases a new novel

You don't have to ask for books - book-related stuff is ok too - and if one of your favourite authors recently released a book, you can ask specifically for that. You can also pass on second-hand books if they're in good condition.

TV Zombie posted:

How did you amass so many books without reading them? Are you making good headway with some of them?

It's easier than it seems. v:shobon:v

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

A human heart posted:

The problem is that the only people participating are book barn posters

Real head book swap where I send you pre war German linguistics papers and Finnish pastoral novels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
My TBB secret santa experiences were generally mediocre. Especially the year when I got a $15 Amazon GC. I don't know why someone would even join a Secret Santa, and send a gift card that was even less than the gift value was supposed to be.