Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Wait what is this manga?
heavenly island. it's set after REV2 and maybe even after RE6? it stars claire as the guest character.
parker's just a cameo more or less so far but it's only been a few chapters since he's showed up so it's hard to say.
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/biohazard-heavenly-island-r16799

the previous one, marhawa desire was also by the same dude- this one stars chris as the guest character.
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/biohazard-marhawa-desire-r7894

the english translation never finished for marhawa desire for some reason but there it is. it's a prequel to re6 and introduces piers and carla.
the artist seems to have pretty little variation for character designs so uh, the original protagonists of both of these look almost exactly the same. i seriously thought they were the same dude at first.
at the very least the stories themselves are pretty interesting and highlight a lot of the neat parts of the existing RE universe

Crowetron posted:

I can only assume the next panel is Parker promising to buy God dinner sometime.
unfortunately not, but in the next chapter there's gratuitous helicopter death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011
just got RE6 on the Halloween Steam sale for 8 bucks. I'm on the first campaign (Leon) about ready to crash an airliner for the second time, are the rest of the QTEs THIS bad? Because this pile can't even pull off "decent action game", let alone anything else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is an option to shut off most qtes. use it, love it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Marhawa Desire got officially licensed and released in the US, that's why the translation isn't complete.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there is an option to shut off most qtes. use it, love it.

Yeah, gently caress it, seems like this is going to be a "thing" with this game. Loved RE4, was pretty "meh" on 5, and avoided this game till now because of the flack it got. I am really glad 7 is just ditching everything before it, because they sure as hell need too.

Its really odd to me that this series, and Dead Space peaked with leaning towards faster paced gameplay, then shat the bed with co-op action focus. Even Enemy Within had major schizophrenia deciding if you should mow down everything in front of you or hide and sneak around it (with you never really knowing until you got killed)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
qte's being awful isn't unique to re6.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Someone should compile a tutorial on how to actually play RE6 because the game sure as hell teaches you nothing and the game manual is like one sheet with the most basic controls and doesn't mention anything about the advanced moves you can do. It's a game that's actually got a fair bit of flexibility and depth when the level design cools down on the scripted sequences a bit and lets you try things out and all of that makes RE6 a much more fun game, but the game doesn't teach you anything and as a result people try to play it like RE4 or 5, get frustrated because that doesn't really work and then quit.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Someone should compile a tutorial on how to actually play RE6 because the game sure as hell teaches you nothing and the game manual is like one sheet with the most basic controls and doesn't mention anything about the advanced moves you can do. It's a game that's actually got a fair bit of flexibility and depth when the level design cools down on the scripted sequences a bit and lets you try things out and all of that makes RE6 a much more fun game, but the game doesn't teach you anything and as a result people try to play it like RE4 or 5, get frustrated because that doesn't really work and then quit.

there was some big writeup/guide that seemed like it might be too much for anyone to really bother reading.
lunethex's LP is supposedly pretty great, too (i haven't watched it myself)

beyond learning basic controls it's just noting the 3 stun states and what triggers them alongside what melees you get depending on the enemy type. though i guess a lot of folks never really get past the 'basic controls' part as there's no real incentive to use 'em in the campaign.

anyhow, decided to fire up re6 and try some melee only no hope. had to restart a few times to get this because i totally forgot how to deal with machinegun j'avo on no hope since they have super high damage.
seriously, gun j'avo are such a huge threat in no hope. at the very least i also learned that you can actually dodge gunfire by sprinting ->sliding when they start to close in on you, though it's not shown here.

here's 2 clips of stupidity:

jake's 4-3 corridor fight
https://a.pomf.cat/cjjfco.webm
a stupid thing that happened on a botched run
https://a.pomf.cat/uhzypa.webm

edit:
found the clip where i managed to do it, alongside a no hope+melee only run of the leon survival hallway fight in 1-2 (without audio, due to audio desync)
https://a.pomf.cat/zhpahk.webm
https://a.pomf.cat/ldlltj.webm

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 31, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

PoultryHammock posted:

just got RE6 on the Halloween Steam sale for 8 bucks. I'm on the first campaign (Leon) about ready to crash an airliner for the second time, are the rest of the QTEs THIS bad? Because this pile can't even pull off "decent action game", let alone anything else.

In my opinion Leon's part is by far the worst. It COULD in part be me getting adjusted to the controls, but I enjoyed all the other stories a lot more. Heck, ADA even has a genuinely disturbing boss fight!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leon's first section in the party hall was an abomination before god and man. trying to create suspense is fine but did they really have to restrict your walking speed so much?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

leon's first section in the party hall was an abomination before god and man. trying to create suspense is fine but did they really have to restrict your walking speed so much?
Yes, because if you can run away from a zombie that might appear then it's not scary :v:

Edit:
And what the gently caress, was there some sort of micropatch to Revelations while I left it alone? Raid Mode suddenly turned into Ammosink Mode with a really odd increase in named and buffed monsters. I'm getting through stages with barely anything left and have to go back and grind easier levels so I can restock my ammo for the next and goddamnit this is taking too long.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 31, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i genuinely forgot that you can't even sprint until a complete arbitrary and barely defined point in 1-2. it's even after 2 (!) combat encounters.
so you're locked out of the basic combat options that define the whole drat battle system.
like, what the gently caress?

edit:
also, gently caress leon's survival knife. it's actually gross how bad it is in comparison to chris's machete.
...though i guess that could just be said of 99% of leon's entire arsenal and moveset. dude's only advantages are a better light stun melee and the wing shooters.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 31, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't forget his beautiful hair

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I didn't even use Leon for his campaign. Helena's short shotgun is awesome and she has some great moves but the final boss battle is a joke since it can't even hurt you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RE6 is a bad game. But then they made Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps., so by comparison it's only mediocre I guess.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

How is Sherry chain-grappling that monster?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Geight posted:

How is Sherry chain-grappling that monster?

since the shooty raptor javo can be attacked by other players and take damage in the middle of the grab, you can make the AI chain grab them by doing moves that stun them over and over- in this case it's the second and third hit of jake's hand-to-hand attacks

all the extra hits of the chained grabs also count for damage which is pretty hilarious

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 1, 2016

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Got through Chris's and Jake's campaign and went to Leon's. They really want you to do Leon's stuff first as the 1st 5-10 mins of his campaign are very kid gloves compared to what you do with the others...

That or maybe having defense and Melee maxed out makes me feel like juggernaut and just pounding through zombies like they are nothing.

It's better then I remembered but it is still a pretty flawed game at times.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's two more RE7 preview videos. One shows off item examination and what looks like an application of said item examination for a puzzle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB0-MFSjKv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFh6Ip5v6xM

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Policenaut posted:

Here's two more RE7 preview videos. One shows off item examination and what looks like an application of said item examination for a puzzle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB0-MFSjKv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFh6Ip5v6xM

i know it never happens, but the wobbly VR tilt they got in these always makes me a little nervous that the player is gonna get grabbed before the cutaway

what im saying is i really want to play this game in VR

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't remember the hedge maze full of thing dogs being so drat nerve racking.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fereydun posted:

the english translation never finished for marhawa desire for some reason but there it is.

The official English translation did finish, actually. Amazon link to the series

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Len posted:

Trust me, it was.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I finished Revelations 1! I found it to be OK. Mediocre. The dodge mechanic doesn't really work which is frustrating, the constant swapping between locations and characters is disorienting and the story is nonsense. The bosses are all poo poo (the first and last bosses are like, the two worst bits of the game which is a really distressing thing to gently caress up considering it's supposed to be the first high moment and the finale respectively) and I feel like Rev1's combat only really works with a small number of enemies. When you have that small number of enemies, or a moderate number in a tight space, it works well enough, but when it gets more wider and open with large numbers it kinda breaks down.

I still had enough fun though, probably worth the price I paid for it. As in, five pounds. Revelations 2 is better in almost every conceivable way.

that's just the main campaign though, Raid Mode is loving awesome and this was the moment I realised that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XMQY7kHOTo

raid mode is easily the better half of the game which on the one hand is sort of embarrassing considering it's made out of recycled parts from the campaign where all the effort went but on the other it's fun so who cares. I've never really touched Rev2's Raid Mode so I don't know how it compares to Rev1's.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I finished Revelations 1! I found it to be OK. Mediocre. The dodge mechanic doesn't really work which is frustrating, the constant swapping between locations and characters is disorienting and the story is nonsense. The bosses are all poo poo (the first and last bosses are like, the two worst bits of the game which is a really distressing thing to gently caress up considering it's supposed to be the first high moment and the finale respectively) and I feel like Rev1's combat only really works with a small number of enemies. When you have that small number of enemies, or a moderate number in a tight space, it works well enough, but when it gets more wider and open with large numbers it kinda breaks down.

I still had enough fun though, probably worth the price I paid for it. As in, five pounds. Revelations 2 is better in almost every conceivable way.

that's just the main campaign though, Raid Mode is loving awesome and this was the moment I realised that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XMQY7kHOTo

raid mode is easily the better half of the game which on the one hand is sort of embarrassing considering it's made out of recycled parts from the campaign where all the effort went but on the other it's fun so who cares. I've never really touched Rev2's Raid Mode so I don't know how it compares to Rev1's.

the dodge mechanic is mashable which sounds stupid but it's actually like 90% consistent and vital for playing on higher level raid mode stuff/higher difficulties. biggest issue is simply angling yourself/spacing yourself correctly to dodge the stuff that can be dodged. the last 10% of consistency comes down to that angling/spacing and knowing when exactly to start mashing like a dope

in general it's a pretty neutered/limited game which hurts it, especially in the combat system sense but at the same time it's important to remember that the game was designed with the 3DS in mind.
same with rev2 and vita, even if the rev2 vita port turned out to be hot garbage.

anyhow raid is definitely mega cool and it's a shame that rev2's raid mode managed to not really match up in the slightest to rev1's- there's so much done right in rev1's raid mode that was totally missed out on due to the episodic nature of the game alongside lack of budget

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I don't think the episodic nature of the main game is to blame for Rev 2's Raid mode, more that the design moved to a more Diablo-esque style of game, without any of the procedural or even just randomized content. If you want people to run through the same levels over and over again to fill up bars and make numbers go up that's a solid gameplan, but at the bare minimum you should shake up the enemy spawns a little bit. At best, Rev2 Raid will sometimes surprise you with the particular attributes of an enemy, but even that is often predictable, and you can reliably say "the next enemy will be -some- sort of special" if you've played that stage once or twice.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I still can't get my head around the timing for the dodge/evade/dance move in Revelations. Mashable it may be, but so was the dodge in RE3 (on PC at least) and I was poo poo at getting that right too.

As far as Raid goes, it's a superior experience in the first game because it's not so consistently linear with progression; sure the early stages are pretty much just straight-line affairs but then you get stuff like 'Flood' and the like where you end up with huge optional areas to go around in chasing after those medallions. Revelations 2 has none of that, with every stage practically forcing you to kill everything to complete them. I like both, but I find myself playing Raid for longer stretches in the original (unless the game's giving me poo poo with Hunters/Farfarellos and their OHK loving nonsense).

Unrelated:
For gently caress's sake game you're really out to get me today aren't you.
http://i.imgur.com/4CxM3zq.gifv

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Me and a friend just played through the first two chapters of Leon's campaign in RE6 (so like, the first three-four hours of the game ish) and initial impressions are ultimately positive, but I can totally understand why the game got a really mixed reception when it first came out.

We pretty quickly discovered the joy of kicking enemies and piledriving them until their head exploded, and then later had great fun when we discovered the hilarious sliding dodge move that can be combo'ed into aiming and all that poo poo. It's a surprisingly mechanically dense game and I really enjoyed the level of interactivity everything had, you have all these moves and they can all sort of flow neatly into one another and enemies and the environment react in logical ways to these moves and when it flows nicely, it feels great.

But then there's the times where you get grabbed by an enemy you were kicking in the face somehow, or get flying leaped on by a dude you were definitely shooting and I'm really not clear on what constitutes dying? Like, as in I can be on low health and survive a shitload of knockdowns thereafter but then be on like half-health and instantly die from some random flying leap, poo poo isn't making any sense to me at all. Damage taken as well seems pretty loving high which is a bother when enemies sometimes grab you very suddenly through gunfire/being kicked and you instantly lose like 1.5 blocks of health before any mashing QTE even starts. So then health gets low and you sort of enter this losing equilibrium of being knocked down and reviving and knocked down again and this goes on until the game gives up and kills one of you for some unclear reason and then you checkpoint back to full health and things are good again for a while.

Fun, but janky. Yeah, it's a resident evil game alright. We'll keep playing and see where it goes, it's enjoyable enough but not without its imperfections.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Leon's campaign is training wheels. Chris's campaign is where the poo poo gets real. (Please play on the hardest difficulty)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Len posted:

It's less nerve wracking on subsequent playthroughs as you've got more ammo and more guns and you know roughly where they're going to jump in, but yeah the first time is a DICK.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't think of anything less fun than playing RE6 on No Mercy if you don't already know what you're doing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't think of anything less fun than playing RE6 on No Mercy if you don't already know what you're doing.

Well granted me and my friend did spend a lot time playing this game. Things rreally got interesting when you started a fresh save without any weapons on Pro and No Hope.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Leon's campaign is training wheels. Chris's campaign is where the poo poo gets real. (Please play on the hardest difficulty)

hell no we die a fair bit on Normal and are still trying to piece together all the dodging and melee mechanics and poo poo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

WaltherFeng posted:

My RE6 co-op experience: Hardest difficulty, start with Chris's campaign, get to this point where early on where Chris is hanging on a wire or something and Piers has to cover you... except it's impossible to accomplish with the amount of health I had at the time of the checkpoint. That was the end of my RE6 co-op experience. Went back to No Mercy Mercs, didn't look back.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finished the first "Episode" of Revelations 2 today. I'm really enjoying it so far. It really makes me think of Alan Wake of all games, with the emphasis on stunning with the flashlight- and hell at one point in the game we're even running through some kind of logging mill. I was half expecting Barry to start going on about omega 3 fatty acids.

The parallel narrative structure seems pretty cool, with playing a section as Claire (Yet another RE begins with her being kidnapped and imprisoned on an island) and Moira, and then revisiting it six months later as Barry and Natalia. I think, at least so far, it balances humor and horror pretty well- better than the RE7 demo at any rate.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
barry's dad jokes are very powerful

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Who's the master of unlocking now? :smug:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Geight posted:

Who's the master of unlocking now? :smug:
I loved that and Moira saying "UGH HE TELLS EVERYONE ABOUT THAT STORY" when Claire mentions almost becoming a Claire Sandwich.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There are a lot of relatively subtle things about RE:R2's writing that I appreciate, like how Claire never so much as expresses doubt if Moira can see her doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
There is no doubt whatsoever that Barry is the best thing about Revelations 2. That last boss fight in particular - or, the cutscene leading up to it - was so 80s Action Movie that I felt like crying tears of joy. Moira had some good lines in it too.