Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I also get the Elliot / Egg Soup joke now. Is it game-breaking if I take full advantage of this? I feel like I should stop cheesing it.
Nah. Having unlimited money is nice but there's only like, 5 characters who benefit from upgrading their weapons at all and it's not like you need to upgrade the weapons of chararacters who aren't with the party/you aren't using anyway.

And the game gives you plenty of quartz and the only quartz worth buying are a shitton of attack/impede/action 3/2/1 quartz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The soup exploit is nice for your first field study, but once you've got everybody's orbment slots in order (and maybe synthesized a few Impede quartz for Rean and Evade quartz for Fie) it's easier and faster to just trade in all your sepith.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Zaggitz posted:

They haven't yet but one of the bullet points that we know about Cold Steel 3 is that it will have many Sky cameos, so the dream is real.

I hope this means we go to Liberl for whatever reason.

How much do we know about CS3 anyway? Is "being made and also cameos" about the extent of it?

On a side note falcom should make a Front Mission style game in zemuria.

Edit: or zeonic front

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's being made, it's ps4 for sure and vita maybe, Rean has a cool coat, and that's it.

I'm not sure I'd reach too much into their comment about sky characters reappearing cause that's technically always the case. so it could mean anything from Liberl playing a large role to Anelace showing up a couple times. (I kinda think anelace has a pretty good chance of being in 3 with how much of a big deal the eight leaves is in CS)

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 24, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

list of sky characters and their chance of being in cold steel 3. spoilers for CS1/2. like massive ones.

Estelle: Maybe. Package deal with Josh.

Josh: Maybe. Bleublanc mentions him, and Rean seems like he's considering joining Ouroboros??? so having a dude who just left it around would be an obvious conflict

Schera: Probably not. Not much for her to do IMO.

Olivier: yes

Agate: Probably not. Not much for him to do IMO.

Zane: Maybe? Not much to do, but if CS3 is the last Erebonia game he could help lead into the calvard arc.

Tita: she could be best friends with george

Mueller: prolly

Julia: Probably if Kloe shows up.

Kloe: Maybe??? She's very politically important so if the scale of the story keeps increasing her showing up for a few scenes could make sense.

Josette: lol

Anelace: Yeah, I'd say she has a decent chance. If she's improved since Sky she could act as a sort of mentor for Rean, maybe? And considering how much they've built up Ka-Fai I wouldn't be surprised if he himself shows up.

Bleublanc: haha

Walter: if zane shows up

Renne: bleublanc does name drop her and she'd be a package deal with josh too i feel like

Campanella: i love that vocaloid song

Lucciola: who

Kevin: i have a weird theory on this

Ries: she's a nun-lady, scarlet used to be one. they might know each other??? scarlet was kind of a dangling plot thread at the end of csII so i wouldn't be surprised if she was a party member in csIII, especially if Rean's goal actually is to revive crow. anyway if she is having the two big church characters from sky pop up would make sense.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Capuas are former Erebonian nobles so them showing up isn't that far-fetched.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

The Capuas are former Erebonian nobles so them showing up isn't that far-fetched.
yeah, but on the other hand, lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it will be Anton and Ricky again

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Decided to get caught up on the RPG thread and... :stonklol:. Reminded me that I'd been wanting to post a quick 'thanks' to people ITT for being so good about using spoiler tags, even for games that are 10+ years old.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Decided to get caught up on the RPG thread and... :stonklol:. Reminded me that I'd been wanting to post a quick 'thanks' to people ITT for being so good about using spoiler tags, even for games that are 10+ years old.

I probably shouldn't have said anything to prompt that insane dude to dump those spoilers.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Somebody mentioned Tita's parents in Roer's technical school thing at least so it's possible that after the CS1, 2 and then 3 time progression she'd be at-age to attend it or at least go on trips with her family.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Are the Trails in the Sky ride-alongs supposed to blink, because they loving blink :stare:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Man, this New Game + of CS1 is a beating, even with fast forward. I kinda want to get the platinum trophy at the end of the run, so I'm having to go out of my way to fight everything I can. Still about 150 shy of 1000 fights, heading to Lohegrin Castle for the 2nd time currently. Should be good at my current pace, but still. Can't just breeze through it like I originally expected to.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Use Megalith + Domination.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can you play xanadu next with a gamepad?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Early Cold Steel 2: lol so that's why people like Duvalie so much. Game is pretty great so far, don't really have any strong good/bad opinions about it that differ from how I felt about Cold Steel 1 so far but we'll see where it goes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

lets hang out posted:

yes, there should be a similar config to Ys and Trails with the steam version.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

lets hang out posted:

Yes. It was added in an update and supported in the Windows 8 release. Not that I would really recommend it because it's clearly an afterthought.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
i got cold steel 2 about 3 days after it came out and now, 2(3? what is time) months later, playing maybe like 2-3 hours a day if I'm lucky, i have finished it. some thoughts. CS2 spoilerrs for the whole game. Sorry if this is is incoherent I'm very sleepy but this is fresh in my mind.

final dungeon, the reverie corridor, was awful. felt like there was such good momentum with the osborne reveal and the crossbell stuff. it would have been a lot better if it just went straight to the boss fight and i didn't have to hear class 7 keep saying "yep. we're stronger and we're friends." after every phantom fight. the fact that most of the active voice events were characters going "when is it over" is icing on the cake.

Other than that though, really enjoyed this game. I understand people being annoyed about class 7 never getting a guaranteed win from anyone in the vermillion tower. I think if you were giving the victory against Blueblanc and Duvalie it would have been far less of a problem because it would signify some semblance of growth. I lost my poo poo when Rufus killed Vita's bird. I didn't even know I liked the bird.

In CS1 I didn't care for Millium and Machias but I really warmed up to them this game. I find myself wishing I had them in my party more, especially to have Millium's emotional growth be more fleshed out. That being said I find myself being just as ambivalent about Emma as I was back at the end of CS1. Like okay she's a witch that does magic, as if that wasn't obvious already. Part of me is glad that we didn't visit whatever witch village or whatever Emma is from because it would have slowed things down, but I think it also would have given more room to have her also develop as a character? Or maybe a more in depth look between Emma and Vita's relationship?

I've seen some people theorize about Rean becoming a big antagonist figure and I think that would be cool even though it can devolve into dangerous Joshua edgelord territory. I have faith in falcom though they have never done me wrong. except for reverie corridor. which was bad.

but really, the worst thing about cs2 is that it didn't bring this song back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVP_nCK0tXU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there a completed CS2 monster guide anywhere on the internet? I'm missing two entries. I wish NG+ would show you where the gaps are.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 3, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

yeah but unless xseed messes with some stuff you won't be able to navigate the inventory

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've got a funny feeling that the next Falcom game XSEED will bring to PC, outside of 3rd, will be Dinosaur Resurrection. Just seems like a fairly obvious candidate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Metroixer posted:

i got cold steel 2 about 3 days after it came out and now, 2(3? what is time) months later, playing maybe like 2-3 hours a day if I'm lucky, i have finished it. some thoughts. CS2 spoilerrs for the whole game. Sorry if this is is incoherent I'm very sleepy but this is fresh in my mind.

final dungeon, the reverie corridor, was awful. felt like there was such good momentum with the osborne reveal and the crossbell stuff. it would have been a lot better if it just went straight to the boss fight and i didn't have to hear class 7 keep saying "yep. we're stronger and we're friends." after every phantom fight. the fact that most of the active voice events were characters going "when is it over" is icing on the cake.

Other than that though, really enjoyed this game. I understand people being annoyed about class 7 never getting a guaranteed win from anyone in the vermillion tower. I think if you were giving the victory against Blueblanc and Duvalie it would have been far less of a problem because it would signify some semblance of growth. I lost my poo poo when Rufus killed Vita's bird. I didn't even know I liked the bird.

In CS1 I didn't care for Millium and Machias but I really warmed up to them this game. I find myself wishing I had them in my party more, especially to have Millium's emotional growth be more fleshed out. That being said I find myself being just as ambivalent about Emma as I was back at the end of CS1. Like okay she's a witch that does magic, as if that wasn't obvious already. Part of me is glad that we didn't visit whatever witch village or whatever Emma is from because it would have slowed things down, but I think it also would have given more room to have her also develop as a character? Or maybe a more in depth look between Emma and Vita's relationship?

I've seen some people theorize about Rean becoming a big antagonist figure and I think that would be cool even though it can devolve into dangerous Joshua edgelord territory. I have faith in falcom though they have never done me wrong. except for reverie corridor. which was bad.

but really, the worst thing about cs2 is that it didn't bring this song back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVP_nCK0tXU
The Reverie corridor was super easy and fun if you just bought the mirrors. Crow and Vita can demolish everything in two turns.

And Claire and Millium have some really great interactions if you manage to put them into scenes together - their interaction if you bring Claire to nord is fantastic and they have a little exchange in the tower too iirc. (does claire bail you out in the tower. I feel like she should since every other major NPC does but now im not sure. anyway they have another exchange somewhere) You really get the impression that those two view each other as sisters in some weird way, which is a detail I wasn't really expecting from their brief interactions in CS1.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

(does claire bail you out in the tower. I feel like she should since every other major NPC does but now im not sure. anyway they have another exchange somewhere)

If you mean the Infernal Castle, she jumps in with Sharon to save everybody from the Zephyr commanders after the second stratum. Sara gets some good lines there too. It seems like 90% of the best optional lines in the Castle go to Millium, Sara, Fie, and Laura. The boys got gypped.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Really Pants posted:

If you mean the Infernal Castle, she jumps in with Sharon to save everybody from the Zephyr commanders after the second stratum. Sara gets some good lines there too. It seems like 90% of the best optional lines in the Castle go to Millium, Sara, Fie, and Laura. The boys got gypped.

"My two favorite people" Had me laughing for a couple of minutes. Emma gets some extra dialogue with Mc Burn too. The boys REALLY got gypped.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 3, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elliot and Bleublanc could have totally had some kind of huge rambling music geek argument imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guess machias gets his end-game moment earlier when you rescue his dad, and jusis's moment is when rufus shows up at the end, but uh, yeah, elliot and gaius get literally nothing.

Elliot and Gaius would both have reasons to have dialogue with Bleublanc too, and iirc nobody has any special dialogue with Bleublanc? Elliot and him could have some weird art school argument, and Bleublaunc was the guy going 'gently caress nord haha' so Gaius could be pissed at him.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Death Priest posted:

"My two favorite people" Had me laughing for a couple of minutes. Emma gets some extra dialogue with Mc Burn too. The boys REALLY got gypped.

Yeah, that line from Sara was great. Her reactions to Sharon in particular are highly amusing 9 out of 10 times. Her "Ugh...drat...yes."-line in the epilogue had me in stitches.

In other news, OF COURSE, GOG happens to start their major fall sale right on the day XSeed releases Xanadu. They really do have some rotten timing with their PC releases.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Gaius is weird in that he does get dialogue for every single one of the floors but it's always very Gaius.txt instead of anything substantive. This is definitely most jarring during Blueblanc and to a certain extent McBurn. I had Gaius as my best friend pick too and his post-game is fairly weak as well. It's just him waffling on going back to Nord versus staying with his best friend Rean and talking about how he had trouble painting without him around. On the other hand, I had Jusis in my party the entire time too but I don't recall if he even had lines for every floor. The guys really do get shafted in general.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How is Xanadu Next??

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

little buggy atm, they've has been patching it since it came out but I'm still getting missing text bugs

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Really Pants posted:

Elliot and Bleublanc could have totally had some kind of huge rambling music geek argument imo

I'm glad they didn't, Elliot talking about music often results in me yelling "That's not what those words mean!" at the screen.

I'm late to the party since I wanted to replay CS1 with max bonding points/go for max AP, partly so that it'd be fresh in my mind and partly so I could see every bonding event and decide if I actually was wrong and Emma was actually great all along. The second time around I only rather disliked Emma by the end instead of loathing her, so I guess you could maybe spin that as a qualified success? Also I seem to recall people claiming she's actually some sort of awesome secret snark machine, and best I can tell those people are crazy since her only three moods are painful sincerity, angsty secretiveness, and mothering Fie.

CS2 makes her secretiveness seem extra special stupid since within ten minutes Celine does a total 180 on opsec and then spends the remainder of the game all but riding around on Rean's head with a megaphone like loving Cait Sith, shouting "What up bitches, talking cat in the house!" And nobody ever even reacts except like one random NPC.

What I was really not expecting was for Millium to grow so much on me, even during the CS1 replay. Or to actually like Celine, but it helped enormously that a) Rean got legitimately angry at her when he realized just how much poo poo she pulled and b) she was sincerely contrite about it, instead of her just getting a handwave or Rean sweeping it under the rug because he's a hopeless Pollyanna.

At the end of CS1 I figured at best 50/50 odds on Osborne actually being dead, but as soon as they mentioned his body went missing that shot up to like 100/1. I was really hoping we'd get a chance to punch him in the dick this game, but I guess I'll have to hope that's on the docket for CS3. The business with Fie's bossdad is hinting really hard that maybe Osborne actually was dead but it didn't stick? For much of my first playthrough of CS1 I thought perhaps C was actually working for Osborne--that is, basically pulling another Hamel and deliberately stirring up poo poo in order to legitimize whatever initiatives Osborne used to solidify his power and "restore peace." I guess that ended up being more or less correct, except absolutely nobody knew that was what was happening except Osborne and probably Rufus. Though I think the getting shot part was probably a legit surprise.

I'm still not super clear on what exactly the Ironbloods are supposed to be, other than "people who worked for Osborne." Granted, they could just be remarkable people he recruited for their unique talents, but given that Millium was grown in a vat by a top-secret black market weapons lab I have to wonder whether Claire and Lechter's savant qualities are purely natural or if they were somehow scienced upon as kids. Which if so raises questions about how Rufus got involved with them--as their secret captain no less--to say nothing of Rean's, um, questionable heritage. At this point, the most likely options seem to be "Gilliath Osborne, demon-fucker" and "Gilliath Osborne, uses his kid for MAD SCIENCE and then leaves him in a blizzard for REASONS." And in light of what we now know about Rufus and Rean, Rufus being fairly well acquainted with Rean's dad seems mighty suspicious. Teo, you got some splainin' to do.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ive wondered the same myself and apparently it's still an open question if there's anything more to the ironbloods then a cool name (i.e Crossbell and sky 3rd don't shed much more light on it)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm not far in Xanadu but I haven't had bugs yet although I've always been on the lucky side as far as running xseeds falcom releases at launch

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

every time my character's name comes up in text every word except his name is missing from the line, very mysterious

gamepad support is ok, i plugged my ps4 controller in and it just works, but to do anything in your inventory you need to hold a button to make a fake mouse cursor appear, which i wouldn't mind as much if it didn't always start smack in the middle of the screen instead of over in the menu where i need it to be.

e: maybe that's to make manually aiming magic easier because i can see that being a little weird. finicky as it is i still do way better with a gamepad, was really having trouble fighting groups with just the mouse.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 4, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Emma isn't my favorite character but she does have some good lines. Like "Oh... yay...?" when Millium's happy about them being in the same group in some sidequest, iirc.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

seems like if you die and give up half your money it gets distributed around to chests you've already opened? pretty cool

are red slimes supposed to hit everything in the room when they blow up?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 4, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol I thought the game looked like butt then I realized I was playing at the grand resolution of 640x480.

it still isn't a super great looking game but I was wondering why the backgrounds looked so much worse then the ys/trails games from the same time

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my only real beef after a few hours is that needing keys is kind of a nuisance. the isn't really enough depth to the selling bones for cheaper keys to make reaching a dead end cause you're out of keys not kinda annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wonderslug posted:

CS2 makes her secretiveness seem extra special stupid since within ten minutes Celine does a total 180 on opsec and then spends the remainder of the game all but riding around on Rean's head with a megaphone like loving Cait Sith, shouting "What up bitches, talking cat in the house!" And nobody ever even reacts except like one random NPC.

That is because by that point the cat is literally out of the bag and most of the people who would have responded have had a few months to deal with it or aren't around long enough for it to matter while Vita is chugging around pulling poo poo, so any Worse Case Scenario for Emma is superseded by Vita existing.

There's a difference between "reveal my secret which will piss everyone off and make me a target during what amounts to peacetime" and "My secret is out of the bag due to literal giant robots, another witch literally broadcasting herself openly, and a civil war." Notice that Emma (or indeed most of the cast) doesn't stick around Thors very long after the civil war ends. That's partially because they got other things to do and partially because it isn't really a good place for them anymore.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 4, 2016