Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

poemdexter posted:

No, blue light fucks with your body's natural "it's sleepy time" mechanic. I run a tool called f.lux on my PC so that it tints the screen after dusk so that I start getting sleepy at an appropriate time instead of getting off the computer at 2am and not being able to fall asleep in a reasonable time.

https://justgetflux.com/research.html

Also: many people have a desktop computer and don't use it to excess until 2am every day. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Time for my annual posting in this thread, what with the new monitor(s), desk and PC.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The harmful effects of blue light are a major subject of research right now, and there is actually a growing consensus among optometrists that blue light is actually damaging to the health of your eyes, in addition to its effect on your ability to sleep.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

During the hours of sunset and later? Yes.

Or stop using your computer altogether around sunset every day.

Or keep using it and screw up your circadian rhythm.

Those are pretty much your three choices. Like it or not you're going to have to make one of them, voluntarily or not.

Or you can be a normal human being and take an hour of your day to go to the gym so you'll be tired enough to fall asleep normally.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

just jack off

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

just jack off

this is usually the best approach.

if that doesn't take put on a movie and give it an hour and try again, if it still doesn't, gently caress it you ain't sleepin fire up an RTS or something.
:goonsay:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

flux makes a huge difference to me - before using it, it'd take me much longer to go to sleep. I'd feel really wired if I went straight from using the computer to bed. flux definitely curbed that feeling.

I have a small RGB LED flood lamp in the bedroom, having it set to blue has never curbed my ability to drift off. Any impact of the blue light is offset by the calming colours and low intensity of the light.

Plus, you don't look DIRECTLY AT an LED strip for MULTIPLE HOURS, like a monitor.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

The Lord Bude posted:

The harmful effects of blue light are a major subject of research right now, and there is actually a growing consensus among optometrists that blue light is actually damaging to the health of your eyes, in addition to its effect on your ability to sleep.

pfft that sounds like a vast conspiracy from the f.lux cabal to me

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way i see is: apple added night shift to iOS. Apple would almost certainly not gently caress with display colours on any device without good reason.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

well why not posted:

The way i see is: apple added night shift to iOS. Apple would almost certainly not gently caress with display colours on any device without good reason.

This is the company that removed headphone jacks, esc key/fn bar, mismatching ports between their computer/phone offerings. Anything they do is very debatable.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I tried f.lux a few years ago because I read(probably here) that it was good for you.

Found myself getting really tired at like 8 o'clock when I wanted to stay up and be a computer nerd, threw that poo poo in the recycle bin.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
flux is great. on the weekends i turn it off and its like drinking coffee but all digital

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

AEMINAL posted:

flux is great. on the weekends i turn it off and its like drinking coffee but all digital

I appreciate that you turned it into a Gibson inspired stimulant. Seriously that owns.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Forgot to post it here last week, but I found somebody on CL selling an IKEA GALANT L desk of the opposite orientation of the one I had, so got that and combined them to form a giant U desk for my office, giving me much more space for my two computers, and an large work area (for things like building LEGO).

Terrible picture, because my apartment gets very little natural lighting and the only camera/lens I have that has a wide enough FOV is my phone's:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

GokieKS posted:

Forgot to post it here last week, but I found somebody on CL selling an IKEA GALANT L desk of the opposite orientation of the one I had, so got that and combined them to form a giant U desk for my office, giving me much more space for my two computers, and an large work area (for things like building LEGO).

Terrible picture, because my apartment gets very little natural lighting and the only camera/lens I have that has a wide enough FOV is my phone's:

Your corgi seems unsure why he doesn't get his own chair in front of his computer.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

poemdexter posted:

No, blue light fucks with your body's natural "it's sleepy time" mechanic. I run a tool called f.lux on my PC so that it tints the screen after dusk so that I start getting sleepy at an appropriate time instead of getting off the computer at 2am and not being able to fall asleep in a reasonable time.

https://justgetflux.com/research.html

I use f.lux and sleep in the same room as the PC (well i live in a studio apartment)

but i have changed the PC and it is an inwin case that sits on the top where the malibu bottle is. With blue lights that flicker all night like evil eyes watching me...

Edit: finally got the image to show - I hate dropbox and such...

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 2, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wow. This is probably the root cause to all your problems in life.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Moey posted:

who said i had a problem

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TheresaJayne posted:

who said i had a problem

I am just picking on you because we have difference opinions on cases. Disregard.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

at the date posted:

I just turn down the brightness of my monitor at night because I don't slavishly believe every idiot marketing ploy I read. I mean, just look at this retarded poo poo:

lmao

There's nothing retarded about equating the white point temperature of the sRGB colour space (6500K) with the colour temperature of the Sun (at midday over Western/Northern Europe). That's by design.

That said, of course the statement is pretty off when it comes to luminous flux, since your monitor is nowhere as bright as the loving sun.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 2, 2016

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

TheresaJayne posted:

where the malibu bottle is

See this guy gets it.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I appreciate that you turned it into a Gibson inspired stimulant. Seriously that owns.

flux crash

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Moey posted:

Moey posted:

I am just picking on you because we have difference opinions on cases. Disregard.

He loves bad cases that's his fuckin' problem

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I mean, if it is on the LHS of his desk, what's the point of the window? You can't see in.

I think it's hideous too, but if dude likes it, more power.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

well why not posted:

I mean, if it is on the LHS of his desk, what's the point of the window? You can't see in.

I think it's hideous too, but if dude likes it, more power.

If finding faults with desks is your loving problem
Post your desks to the thread maybe we can solve 'em

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My Autonomous SmartDesk arrived two days ago. I got it assembled and into place, but won't be able to make use of the height feature until I get some longer cables and work out routing. Right now I'm living like poo poo.

At the sitting height it is incredibly stable, heavy desk.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheMadMilkman posted:

My Autonomous SmartDesk arrived two days ago. I got it assembled and into place, but won't be able to make use of the height feature until I get some longer cables and work out routing. Right now I'm living like poo poo.

At the sitting height it is incredibly stable, heavy desk.

How long did it take to arrive? Which desk finish did you get?

The reviews are incredibly mixed on them.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I need a better slim chair (to fit in that little space between the couch and the table).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

I ordered it on September 18. The estimated shipping dates were Oct 31 - Nov 7. It arrived on Nov 1.

I got the dark wood finish. The wood quality is adequate, but not excellent. It doesn't wobble more than any other home desk I've used.

It feels much more solid than the IKEA Bekant sit stand desk, which I had considered at one point.

It feels somewhat flimsy compared to my government issue sit stand desk that I have at work. But I believe my work one cost about $3,000, so that's understandable. I can put my full weight on that one and it wobbles maybe a quarter inch.

Based on first impressions and my limited time with it, I feel like it was a good value for the money.

I'll post pictures of it, together with my rats nest of wires, tonight.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

I recently bought one of these myself, I got the bamboo top with the cutout, the desk is stable at all heights, and arrived in less than a week. The only downside I have noticed so far is the motor is a bit loud when going up. Putting it together, there was one bolt that wouldn't thread in, likely because of a bit of over spray in the hole, even with that, the piece feels stable and solid. Being able to go from sitting to standing with one touch is great.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Did you guys get the dual motor? Standard width?

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Did you guys get the dual motor? Standard width?

Single motor, standard width here. There is plenty of room for me, though I am considering an armature for the monitor, just for more adjustability.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks goons. I might place an order for the standard white, standard size, dual motor.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mine is single motor. 70 x 30 size.

I'm 6'5" and the single gets taller than I need.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

TheMadMilkman posted:

Mine is single motor. 70 x 30 size.

I'm 6'5" and the single gets taller than I need.

Both should get the same height. It's the weight capacity.

I wonder how much faster the single motor design would wear out over a dual, if any. Single motor with a black top or no top and a DIY sounds like something I may want to do.

Cranking my current desk from sit to stand is a pita, and doing a diy motor setup to turn the crank (not just using a power drill) would be at least a hundred bux, if not more.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

He loves bad cases that's his fuckin' problem

Wasabi the J posted:

I recognize and enjoy these posts.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah goon this the finale
That desk chat turned into a desk rally

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jealous Cow posted:

Yeah goon this the finale
That desk chat turned into a desk rally

Routing all your cables like they don't exist
Goons ya know you want this desk

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Updated shots of my nerdy basement from last year. Made sure the cats found their way in.

lovely pano

entry

tv area

desk area

cats bein' cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

What kind of computers do you have? Looks very organised.