Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Mr. Lobe posted:

how else do you interpret this?

she's sitting in both panels, and the needle is clearly out of arm's reach.

Parallax noob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mr. Lobe posted:

how else do you interpret this?

she's sitting in both panels, and the needle is clearly out of arm's reach.
...there are motion lines coming from the needle.

:shittypop:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

What's parallax gotta do with it if they're both at the same depth? Is my brain broken somehow? I don't get it!

Also it's cooler if she's using psychokinesis so I choose to believe that regardless.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

...there are motion lines coming from the needle.

:shittypop:

But not from her arm.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Sometimes I make funky art errors and it amazes me how people interpret it. It's fixed in the print edition.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I just figure that in this comic if there are two possible answers to a problem, the more :krad: is the correct one.

But yes, if you don't use Operant's Razor then Occam would clearly dictate an art error.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't even call it an art error. Besides the obvious explanation that she leant forward between panels, if she had suddenly developed telekinesis, it wouldn't have gone unmentioned afterwards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Operant posted:

Sometimes I make funky art errors and it amazes me how people interpret it. It's fixed in the print edition.

I still vote that Allison cutting her hair by turning the closed scissors into a divine blade would be way cooler.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Operant posted:

I totally didn't notice that you changed it but I have the book to hand so I went to look:

Subtle!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Even without that, Allison is closer to White Chain in the second panel (look at their sizes) so I always read it as her inching forward, grabbing the needle at extreme range, and pulling back as soon as she did.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ZeeToo posted:

Even without that, Allison is closer to White Chain in the second panel (look at their sizes) so I always read it as her inching forward, grabbing the needle at extreme range, and pulling back as soon as she did.

Because that's clearly what happens, but people are still arguing about it lmao.

And can't just go "oh, I guess I was wrong".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just always assumed it was telekinesis because the art wasn't quite as clear as the corrected print version lol

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I wonder what it is about this comic that attracts this kind of person, and whether in years gone by they'd have been on trekkie forums seriously arguing that half of all TV characters are wizards because sometimes things just appear in their hands between cuts.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

rude!

I'm just saying, a lot of magical bullshit was happening in a very short amount of time and I don't see why people are acting like the "telekinesis" interpretation was such an unreasonable one under the circumstances, even if it was incorrect.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 3, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mr. Lobe posted:

geez you people are all being mean.

I'm just saying, a lot of magical bullshit was happening in a very short amount of time and I don't see why people are acting like the "telekinesis" interpretation was such an unreasonable one under the circumstances, even if it was incorrect.

cuz they were right and you were wrong and you best never forget that BITCH

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thing is, the pre-corrected version not only does look like telekinesis, it looks like telekinesis used in a very deadpan, matter-of-fact way almost as thought it were a joke. An impression helped by the "roughly the same panel but with differences" composition that is common in some forms of visual deadpan humor. And the way she held the needle did look like a "catch" instead of a pull. In a nonchalant, catching flies with chopsticks absentmindedly sort of way. The corrected version removes ambiguity by making her motion a clear "pluck" as though she were pulling a feather out of a hat.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Xarbala posted:

Thing is, the pre-corrected version not only does look like telekinesis, it looks like telekinesis used in a very deadpan, matter-of-fact way almost as thought it were a joke. An impression helped by the "roughly the same panel but with differences" composition that is common in some forms of visual deadpan humor. And the way she held the needle did look like a "catch" instead of a pull. In a nonchalant, catching flies with chopsticks absentmindedly sort of way. The corrected version removes ambiguity by making her motion a clear "pluck" as though she were pulling a feather out of a hat.

I don't think it looks like telekinesis since there was no prior indication of that power or remark upon it afterwards. It's a comic, not a cartoon, so not every motion is going to be drawn.

I could *maybe* be convinced that it looks like the needle leapt into her hand, but I'd put that as a function of the needle or Chain's body, not a function of Allison suddenly gaining mind bullets.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I like the telekinesis version better, if nothing else than as a first, subtle manifestation of her power, but now that illusion is gone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mile'ionaha posted:

I don't think it looks like telekinesis since there was no prior indication of that power or remark upon it afterwards. It's a comic, not a cartoon, so not every motion is going to be drawn.

I could *maybe* be convinced that it looks like the needle leapt into her hand, but I'd put that as a function of the needle or Chain's body, not a function of Allison suddenly gaining mind bullets.

Not every motion needs to be drawn but it's the artist's job to convey actions both clearly and economically, the breakdown of which I actually did go into. If the original art were perfectly clear, there would be no misinterpretations and Abaddon wouldn't have bothered correcting it. Though even post-correction, thanks to the impression given from the original art, any moment now I still sort of half expect Allison to just levitate a flask into her hand like it ain't no thing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*slams fist on desk* BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MAGIC SCISSORS

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Redraw the scissors as open in the frame immediately preceding the cut. Bam! Ship it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Make it so she is plucking the needle with the scissors. And then cutting her hair with the needle.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Here's an idea. Unless a full page is devoted to framing Allison brimming with kingly energy and quite obviously channeling some kind of destructive power, you can safely assume that whatever she just did was, at most, awesomely mundane.

She's our fish-out-of-water, until-recently average viewpoint protagonist. Any manifestation of power at this stage is still a Big Deal.

She's not Goku yet.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
NOBODY IS LEAVING UNTIL WE GET THIS poo poo SORTED OUT

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Never meet your heroes? No. Never meet your fanbase.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Renaissance Robot posted:

I wonder what it is about this comic that attracts this kind of person, and whether in years gone by they'd have been on trekkie forums seriously arguing that half of all TV characters are wizards because sometimes things just appear in their hands between cuts.

To be fair, at least half the characters in this comic actual are wizards, or sufficient powerful through one manner or another to be essentially magic.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

though i believed in the magic scissors, i did not believe the needle was telekinesis

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think, it would be cool, if Allison had, telekinesis,

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I'll probably fix the scissors thing eventually, on a re-read it's not that clear and I don't like some of the coloring on that page. I have stuck intentional things in there like Allison punching her shower wall. I do spend a lot of time on some pages but I'm not always 100% happy with the final result.

There's for sure a lot of improving I could do. I tend to have very busy pages with a lot of panels (from the webcomic format I think) and I think I could do a lot more with less. That's sort of the fine art of comics in my opinion. It's a weird balancing act between telling/showing too much and too little. I'm reading through the Edena series by Moebius right now (just got an English release with Dark Horse) and it's just insanely good, but he also uses about on average 2-4 panels a page and has very efficient dialogue, very efficient lines, and very efficient coloring.

The very weird thing about doing a webcomic is it's sort of like people being able to look at my rough draft/learning process in real time, very slowly. There's so much I'm very confident in now that in earlier editions of my art was absolutely terrible. The first 25 or so pages of the comic didn't have any color and the art was WAY rougher than it is now (even though I updated it a bit). If you go read the comic as it stands on the site it's a weird look at my style evolving over almost 3 years. I expect I'll never stop improving on stuff that is wonky or doesn't read well, as long as I keep being active about it. I almost think that my project after I finish KSBD in a few years will probably be something I'm much more technically confident in, but then again I'll probably still be learning.

Honestly though, a lot of drawing comics on a regular deadline is being able to produce passable and stylish art with some degree of efficiency. Go read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 3-4, which are very good comics by the amazingly weird Mr. Araki, comics which have been very influential on the Japanese comic scene and very popular on the world stage, and go look at some of the hilarious wonky art in some parts of it. The truth is when you read things all at once, your brain tends to gloss over stuff like that, but reading a page a week people can meticulously pick apart weird art errors. The fact that this illusion has enormous strength is self-evident even here with the needle/scissors thing because people are more likely to believe in some intentional cause that badly communicated motion.

tl;dr: KSBD is my weird learning project and I'm very flattered that people are invested in it and enjoy it, come back and read my comics in like 20 years I'm pretty sure they'll be ok then

Operant fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 3, 2016

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
There's some urban streetscape stuff coming up I am gong to bust my rear end on though so I think that will look loving great and I think people are ok with slower updates in order for me to get some ridiculous art out

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Always be learning. I'm just glad you make this comic. I couldn't possibly care less if the scissors were magic.

I just want more kung-fu angels.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey Operant, because people periodically ask for it: do you have a mirror of "Girl" somewhere?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Operant posted:

There's some urban streetscape stuff coming up I am gong to bust my rear end on though so I think that will look loving great and I think people are ok with slower updates in order for me to get some ridiculous art out

I'm hooked as gently caress on your world building and characterization, so I'm fine waiting however long I need to. I actually just joined a Broken World pbp on SA and busted out my drawing app to draw my character using your tutorials as a guide. I'm by no means excellent, but kudos to you and your comic for getting me to try;

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Operant posted:

It's only one data point but +1 on that, quality > quantity. Your detail level is one of the things that seems to draw folks in, I certainly enjoy it. Basically,

ConfusedUs posted:

Always be learning. I'm just glad you make this comic. I couldn't possibly care less if the scissors were magic.

I just want more kung-fu angels.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Operant. Keep up the awesome work :D

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

your weird learning project might be the only good webcomic on the internet besides achewood

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Operant posted:

This post with Operant has him now claiming Allison pulled the needle out the entire time. We know he’s telling the truth because he’s been saying this from the very beginning, right?

No, of course not. Up until this interview he’s talked about it as a change to “fix” the character.

I guess we call call this “Allison Pulled the Needle Out Excuse: The Special Edition”. He’s gone back to his own excuses and edited them to make them “better”. Much like the Star Wars: Special Edition changes all he’s doing is pointing out how terribly his thought processes works.

First, let’s compare two versions (there are multiple versions of the changes, this just has one):

Renaissance Robot posted:

I totally didn't notice that you changed it but I have the book to hand so I went to look:

Subtle!

In the original there’s only speedlines from the angel's head, no signal to the audience at all that Allison moved anything. If he meant for viewers to know Allison didn't develop telekinesis, first his storytelling ability is worse than Stephan Meyer’s. At least in Twilight we know who is doing what, even though we don’t care because it’s terrible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

hey girl you up posted:

This post with Operant has him now claiming Allison pulled the needle out the entire time. We know he’s telling the truth because he’s been saying this from the very beginning, right?

No, of course not. Up until this interview he’s talked about it as a change to “fix” the character.

I guess we call call this “Allison Pulled the Needle Out Excuse: The Special Edition”. He’s gone back to his own excuses and edited them to make them “better”. Much like the Star Wars: Special Edition changes all he’s doing is pointing out how terribly his thought processes works.

First, let’s compare two versions (there are multiple versions of the changes, this just has one):

In the original there’s only speedlines from the angel's head, no signal to the audience at all that Allison moved anything. If he meant for viewers to know Allison didn't develop telekinesis, first his storytelling ability is worse than Stephan Meyer’s. At least in Twilight we know who is doing what, even though we don’t care because it’s terrible.

:golfclap:

I almost fell for it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Operant posted:

your hella-dense crowd scenes are my favorite arts in this comic fwiw

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Cowcaster posted:

though i believed in the magic scissors, i did not believe the needle was telekinesis

Internet historians will identify this as the point where the schism in the SA KSBD fanbase erupted.

There is still time to avert the war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

paranoid randroid posted:

your hella-dense crowd scenes are my favorite arts in this comic fwiw

:same:

No Pun Intended posted:

There is still time to avert the war!

No, it is too late. The fact that Muad'dib existed at all makes the oncoming crusade inevitable.