Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You'll have about as much luck doing that in game as trying it in real life though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can adjust the alignment with a nut on each side of the steering rod iirc

Yeah, they'll show up as "align" if you mouse over them in non-tool mode. I've never actually tried to do it since I had to have my brakes done back when they were bugged and so I just had him fix the alignment at the same time. I'm pretty sure I accidentally turned those bolts and royally hosed up the alignment in the first place.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 4, 2016

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, they'll show up as "align" if you mouse over them in non-tool mode. I've never actually tried to do it since I had to have my brakes done back when they were bugged and so I just had him fix the alignment at the same time. I'm pretty sure I accidentally turned those bolts and royally hosed up the alignment in the first place.

Once you get the wheels on you can eye up the alignment good enough to get to the shop. At least I did.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

you could square the back wheels up to the front by laying the sub and subless panels end to end in front of the rear wheel and hope both of them are long enough to give you a reference on the front

I have literally done this with a long peice of board after doing front suspension work... it worked well enough to not wreck my tires on the way to an alignment shop

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every time I "fixed" my alignment it got worse. Even once I found the steering wheel angle to hold it it was still all sorts of hosed with how it would slingshot me off the road bed if I so much as stepped out of center. Had to drive to the repair shop at 40kph. Shop aligned it and now I fly around the back roads as fast as I can handle till my butthole clenches and makes me regret slacking off on the kegels. Makes sense because its basically how you steer and get power to the road, so if it's not perfectly dead on your car is going to be the worst.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

first day power start:

turn on the sauna and walk to the shed

back the flatbed into the woodpile, fill it up

tractor the flatbed up to the house and start building the block until the phone rings

answer the call for wood, refill the flatbed and bring it back to the house just as you run out of daylight

continue building the block until the alternator snaps in

piss, sauna, eat, sleep, save

~

still working on optimal day 2. I can't remember what job you get next, it could be a pub pickup or poo poo pump. either way your next trip out should include a trip to the shop

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Once you get that first call for wood (maybe even before) you can do that infinitely regardless of calls.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

zedprime posted:

Every time I "fixed" my alignment it got worse. Even once I found the steering wheel angle to hold it it was still all sorts of hosed with how it would slingshot me off the road bed if I so much as stepped out of center. Had to drive to the repair shop at 40kph. Shop aligned it and now I fly around the back roads as fast as I can handle till my butthole clenches and makes me regret slacking off on the kegels.
This thread seriously needs an archive of posts like this because seriously this poo poo is choice cut comedy

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I feel like I burn through fuel way too quick. I can't even reach the highway from the house on a half tank. Could I have a leak? Is there a fuel cap?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Asproigerosis posted:

I feel like I burn through fuel way too quick. I can't even reach the highway from the house on a half tank. Could I have a leak? Is there a fuel cap?

There is a screw between the tank and the fuel line. I missed that too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd expect carb tuning or forgetting about the choke on to have an effect but half a tank to the highway is almost assuredly a leak. The last benchmark I have is that I think taking the long route through the backroads back from filling up at town took a little under 1/4 tank.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It was indeed the nut between the fuel line and fuel tank. Thanks, saved me a lot of time searching about.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ride it hard and put it up wet

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hamshot posted:

Once you get that first call for wood (maybe even before) you can do that infinitely regardless of calls.

Not always true. Once I tried to take a load of wood to the guy the day after I just did one and the payment guy just wasn't there. I don't know if it was too soon or if he takes certain days off or what. But needs do seem to stay between session and/or he'll need firewood before he actually bothers to call you, so he'll usually take wood.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hmm body and driver seat failed inspection. I missed the rear bolts on the seats, tightened them up. I wonder if the passenger seat counts as the body infraction or if there is something else I missed.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

shabbat goy posted:

For anyone curious, it seems to work OK in Wine. I haven't tried much, but it loads, I can put the car together, etc.

It's a Unity game, which I'm pretty sure means that the dev can just hit "Build for Linux" and upload it to Steam or whatever and it'll work just fine, but until that happens, this is passable.

This is great news! Might as well buy it now and try it on OSX with Wine or CrossOver.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

So is this game actually fun or are people just being super loving ironic about it.

the game isn't very good, but i don't remember when a video game made me laugh this much

this is a masterpiece

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

First game, I crashed the van on the way to the shop and died.

This time, I got the suspension all put together (half-shafts are optional/extra, right?) and made it to the shop before starving, bought a bunch of poo poo, and then got rear-ended hard enough on my way back home to kill me.

Game owns.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The game is good and fun if you like building a car from scratch and driving old lovely cars. Its pretty unique in scope.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Got my car all together and pimped out. Tought I had run out of things to do. Went a to see how fast I could get it up to on the highway. Got to 160+, blew through a police checkpoint didnt make the turn, hit a tree and died. Got the sewer truck and towed it to the convenience store. Car flips while being towed, but I didnt stop just kept going. By the time I got to the store the car was upright, so I started it up. Car runs, has no exhaust but I had ordered the new exhaust which was at the store when I got there, missing a door as well. Saved the game and went to IRL job.

GOTY 11/10 -IGN

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm reading this thread as I sit outside waiting for the store to open. I swapped the van for the American car, I just dropped that drunk dude off again and figured I'd stop by and pick up some more brake fluid because I have no brakes in my car despite going over the system twice now. Can I drive my brakeless beater to the shop to have him go over my brakes or is that something I have to do myself?

gently caress this game is super good fun for me.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Did you bleed the brake lines? Unscrew the nuts at each tire well a tick or two, hop in the car and pump the brakes a couple times, then go back and tighten the nuts.

Got my car passed inspection, but on the way home the fan belt exploded for some reason. No idea why.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

JB50 posted:

Got my car all together and pimped out. Tought I had run out of things to do. Went a to see how fast I could get it up to on the highway. Got to 160+, blew through a police checkpoint didnt make the turn, hit a tree and died. Got the sewer truck and towed it to the convenience store. Car flips while being towed, but I didnt stop just kept going. By the time I got to the store the car was upright, so I started it up. Car runs, has no exhaust but I had ordered the new exhaust which was at the store when I got there, missing a door as well. Saved the game and went to IRL job.

GOTY 11/10 -IGN

Trip report:

Towed the Satsuma back home with sewage truck (that trucks rules). Got the van and went back to the main highway and retrieved 2 fenders, drivers door, hood, both bumpers and the stock muffler. Left the windshield as it was smashed (is it even necessary aside from inspection?) Does hitting trees hurt anything in the engine because it seems to work fine?

This game makes the mundane enjoyable 12/10!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

I'm reading this thread as I sit outside waiting for the store to open. I swapped the van for the American car, I just dropped that drunk dude off again and figured I'd stop by and pick up some more brake fluid because I have no brakes in my car despite going over the system twice now. Can I drive my brakeless beater to the shop to have him go over my brakes or is that something I have to do myself?

gently caress this game is super good fun for me.

If you can't figure out what's wrong with it, you can totally drive it to the shop with no brakes and be like "yo you fix this poo poo"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Asproigerosis posted:

Did you bleed the brake lines? Unscrew the nuts at each tire well a tick or two, hop in the car and pump the brakes a couple times, then go back and tighten the nuts.

Got my car passed inspection, but on the way home the fan belt exploded for some reason. No idea why.

I don't know why I'm surprised that you have to bleed the goddamned brakes but here we are.

StarkRavingMad posted:

If you can't figure out what's wrong with it, you can totally drive it to the shop with no brakes and be like "yo you fix this poo poo"

Hell yeah.

EDIT

Well at least my brakes don't matter so much anymore

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 5, 2016

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
How does the mechanic work? I went there on friday and left my car in the driveway, but there was still no change on monday.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SEKCobra posted:

How does the mechanic work? I went there on friday and left my car in the driveway, but there was still no change on monday.

He's supposed to call you when it's ready but sometimes it bugs out and he doesn't call. If you go in the shop and his little "buy stuff" page is back on the desk, then I believe your car is ready and you can just drive off with it.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
This game feels like a 14 " simulator. When you feel like you got your poo poo together, somethings about to go down.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zteuer posted:

This game feels like a 14 " simulator. When you feel like you got your poo poo together, somethings about to go down.

No meth, not realistic.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just added my own music and wow he actually added a filter so that it sounds like the music is really coming out of the lovely van stereo. Awesome.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
I'm probably alone in this, but has anyone else poked at the files with an hex-editor? The two videos shown on the TV are in sharedassets1.assets in ogg/ogv format. That file also has the textures in it.

[edit] I originally wanted the music, but I'm finding other stuff by dumb luck. Never done this type of poo poo before :v:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

JointHorse posted:

[edit] I originally wanted the music, but I'm finding other stuff by dumb luck. Never done this type of poo poo before :v:

Which music do you want? Chance is you'll find it in the internets, eg. Marjatta is performed by the game's developer and is available on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBcevPyR64

And it looks like the soundtrack has also been uploaded by peeps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZlp3FQc3yQ

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
My favourite radio feature is Marko Kahjo, a parody of real life tv and radio humor columnist Markus Kajo. I like Kajo's stupid pseudo-philosophic ramblings and Kahjo captures all of that in a perfect manner, so well that it's more than just a parody, it's a genuine salutation to Mr. Kajo's programmes.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Nenonen posted:

Which music do you want? Chance is you'll find it in the internets, eg. Marjatta is performed by the game's developer and is available on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBcevPyR64

And it looks like the soundtrack has also been uploaded by peeps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZlp3FQc3yQ

Of gently caress! Yeah, I was looking for the radio music, but I didn't think they'd actually be online somewhere. Thanks.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

drat, three in game weeks and I got my car built, but for the last few days in there I've been trying to get it to run. It'll start up, and run for like a second then cut out, and the oil light comes on. Checking the levels in the oil tank I think there might be a leak, but it never loses very much so it must be a slow one. I've been going over everything looking for loose nuts and bolts but I cant find anything. Any thoughts?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Davoren posted:

drat, three in game weeks and I got my car built, but for the last few days in there I've been trying to get it to run. It'll start up, and run for like a second then cut out, and the oil light comes on. Checking the levels in the oil tank I think there might be a leak, but it never loses very much so it must be a slow one. I've been going over everything looking for loose nuts and bolts but I cant find anything. Any thoughts?

Try pulling out the clutch when you let go of the ignition, and holding down the gas after it starts/when you switch gears.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

That might have been it, was I just stalling then? The other vehicles seem to take care of the clutch themselves. My oil light is still on though, there's a mechanic I can take it to right?

Edit: Hmm, I can get it going but it won't go very fast and doesn't sound very healthy.

Maybe I messed up something in the gearbox, everything runs great until I put it in gear.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 6, 2016

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Davoren posted:

That might have been it, was I just stalling then? The other vehicles seem to take care of the clutch themselves. My oil light is still on though, there's a mechanic I can take it to right?

Edit: Hmm, I can get it going but it won't go very fast and doesn't sound very healthy.

Maybe I messed up something in the gearbox, everything runs great until I put it in gear.

Probably your carburetor, turn the screw at the bottom of it down if it is smoking black, up if it is overheating after warming up and driving.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

if you built it according to the guide and everything is tight it should at least idle. you can loosen the rocker screws 30 ish times then tighten therm each 7 to get a stable tuning. same goes for the stock carb but if you ever bounced the Rev limiter cold you probably "damaged" the block.

if you can get it to the shop you can have an inspection. it will tell you what's wrong, or to the mechanic where an engine repair should totally set you to thrash, given that you adjusted the screws per above.

also worth mentioning that engine temp matters. cold start with the choke all the way out until the temp needle is in the middle of the Guage. this will take a while like the sauna, if not a few min of 2k rpm forced idle. push that choke in and see what kind of top speed you can get on the highway. 160 is normal for warm stock.

let me ask for sanity sake, if your poo poo runs without throwing the fan belt - did you rock the alternator back a few clicks or did you swing it out to the extreme? I usually take it back 2-3 clicks and have never had belt problems like that

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Well, the only thing I've used the screwdriver for is the alternator, and I just pulled it out as far as it'd go. Guess I got some tunin' to do. I didn't use any guides, my dad and my brother are mechanics so for family honour I was determined to figure it out myself.

Edit: Maybe now that I know how stuff works I'll just start over in permadeath, working backwards is frustrating!

Well, guess I didn't fit the boot lid properly...

Normally I enjoy a good physics bug but I'm not so hot on this one.

Fuuuuuck and I forgot to save too, gotta start completely over.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 6, 2016

• Locked thread