Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

raditts posted:

Which is a pleasant surprise, I was totally expecting a boring low budget CG shitfest if BH6 ever got a TV series, like all the Dreamworks ones.

the Tangled series is also gonna be 2D

disney's tv cartoons in general are 2D, not 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

EmojiMovie: Express Yourself.
I know that there's going to be a real movie about emojis because gently caress this garbage earth, but is it actually called that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I know that there's going to be a real movie about emojis because gently caress this garbage earth, but is it actually called that?

Yes and the girl one is less of an emoji and more of a yellow human with blue hair because animation is trash.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

long live the new flesh

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

HorseRenoir posted:

long live the new flesh

Imagine if this movie starred SA emotes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Imagine if this movie starred SA emotes

:smith:, :spergin:, and :frogout:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Everything else about the movie was designed by committee, why not the title too

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the villain is :smug:

until he's on the ropes in which case he becomes :shepface:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

the villain is :smug:

until he's on the ropes in which case he becomes :shepface:

Then at the end :smith: embraces his true destiny and becomes :black101: while Stan Bush's The Touch plays.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

VolticSurge posted:

Then at the end :smith: embraces his true destiny and becomes :black101: while Stan Bush's The Touch plays.

you mean :unsmigghh:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

readingatwork posted:

saving the day with tacos was a bit much.

Saving the day with tacos, a magical luchador mask, and the ancient legend of El Chupacabra *ominous maraca rattling*

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
People get all hype for The Touch when Dare is actually a way better song.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

http://deadline.com/2016/11/big-hero-6-maya-rudolph-jamie-chung-reprise-roles-disney-xd-animated-series-1201847587/

The majority of the Big Hero 6 cast will reprise their roles in the series coming to Disney XD next year, with Khary Payton (Cyborg) replacing Damon Wayans as Wasabi and Brooks Wheelan (a standup who was on SNL from 13-14) relacing TJ Miller as Fred.

I'm not shocked at all that this is being made, but I'm honestly surprised that it took this long for Disney/Marvel to make it. They're usually pretty quick to capitalize on hit films.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TwoPair posted:

I'm not shocked at all that this is being made, but I'm honestly surprised that it took this long for Disney/Marvel to make it. They're usually pretty quick to capitalize on hit films.

cartoons usually take years of development

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Disney also really cooled its heels on putting out spinoff shows of its movies. The last one I can remember was Emperor's New School. Apparently there's also a Tangled show coming out next year.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

cartoons usually take years of development

I know, I'm just comparing it to other recent Disney cartoons like Avengers Assemble or Guardians of the Galaxy which both popped out pilots within a year of their movies coming out. Granted, I guess Big Hero 6 wasn't a traditional Marvel Cinematic Universe flick, and yeah its competition at the Oscars that year was weak, but still, it was an Oscar-winning movie and it's taken 2 years to even announce that a series was happening. Just weird is all.

e: heh, my phone's autocorrect originally said "AA and GOTG both pooped out pilots within a year of their movies coming out", which given the quality of those shows, isn't an entirely incorrect statement :rimshot:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
That can be explained by them knowing the movie is coming out, knowing that a bunch of their other movies have been successful, and just wanting to do more of the same. I mean, it featured Falcon, who's nothing like the Falcon in Cap: Winter Soldier.

The pre-production and production of Avengers Assemble probably was going on while season 2 of Earth's Mightiest (maybe even season 1, which is why they knew they were getting the axe, and gave us the Galactus episodes) was airing/still in production. There was a pretty noticeable production value drop in Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest.

Movie production takes longer, they probably had a better idea with Guardian's of the Galaxy, to get the look down with the concept art and story mostly in place, and already being filmed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Infinity Train and Victor & Valentino both look cool and I'd like to see both get a chance

More hispanic representation in animation is always welcome and I don't see a problem with being celebratory of culture instead of ashamed of it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DoctorWhat posted:

People get all hype for The Touch when Dare is actually a way better song.

Well I don't know what "Dare" is but I know it's not the tune that plays while the Autobot Matrix lights our darkest loving hour so

PicklePants posted:

That can be explained by them knowing the movie is coming out, knowing that a bunch of their other movies have been successful, and just wanting to do more of the same. I mean, it featured Falcon, who's nothing like the Falcon in Cap: Winter Soldier.

The pre-production and production of Avengers Assemble probably was going on while season 2 of Earth's Mightiest (maybe even season 1, which is why they knew they were getting the axe, and gave us the Galactus episodes) was airing/still in production. There was a pretty noticeable production value drop in Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest.

Movie production takes longer, they probably had a better idea with Guardian's of the Galaxy, to get the look down with the concept art and story mostly in place, and already being filmed.

Yeah, there was also a GOTG cameo in that Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon before the movie came out, and the characters look way different from the proper show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 4, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The Tangled series is also gonna be 2D

SlothfulCobra posted:

Apparently there's also a Tangled show coming out next year.

I only learned about this like a week or two ago and it made my better half pretty excited.

Great big Disney fan and Tangled's their favorite so I couldn't say I was surprised :v:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Infinity Train and Victor & Valentino both look cool and I'd like to see both get a chance

More hispanic representation in animation is always welcome and I don't see a problem with being celebratory of culture instead of ashamed of it

Which is interesting because if the creator was white he'd never get a job in animation again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

horriblePencilist posted:

Which is interesting because if the creator was white he'd never get a job in animation again
i'm not sure if you're trying to call the creator an uncle tom for all the tacos and day of the dead and whatever, but if the creator was white he wouldn't have a valid authentic life experience to draw from... you would know. I think everyone would know immediately. it's an academic thought exercise, though, because a white creator isnt even a given to care about non-white representation in the first place (although the younger generation of artists growing up seem to be a lot more aware of the world outside their bubble at least, compared to the generation before them)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Clarence Bomb is going on this week. Looking forward to marathoning it all when I get home. I gotta start supporting that show more. I don't know how much catching the premiere helps a show out but I know buying episodes on iTunes or Amazon does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gAT0-2luTI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

Disney also really cooled its heels on putting out spinoff shows of its movies. The last one I can remember was Emperor's New School. Apparently there's also a Tangled show coming out next year.

They spent a bunch of money on the Tron cartoon, the fact that nobody really saw it is why they haven't bothered since then.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

As a mexican I just didn't like all the stereotypical stuff, you don't need to mention tacos every few minutes... unless the joke is "these guys are mexican".

i'm not sure if you're trying to call the creator an uncle tom for all the tacos and day of the dead and whatever, but if the creator was white he wouldn't have a valid authentic life experience to draw from... you would know. I think everyone would know immediately. it's an academic thought exercise, though, because a white creator isnt even a given to care about non-white representation in the first place (although the younger generation of artists growing up seem to be a lot more aware of the world outside their bubble at least, compared to the generation before them)

Nothing in the show features any of this "authentic life experience". Maybe the aunt/grandma character is somewhat authentic, the rest though is all made up cartoon poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The fact that they were tacos de adobada most of the time made it good enough for me. I agree it's a bit overt, but getting saved by giving a recipe was nice.

That said, Infinity Train is the better short, though i'd like both to get picked up.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

doing the research, The creator of the Infinity Train pilot is a writer/storyboard artist for Regular Show, while the creator for the other pilot is a boarder for the PPG reboot

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

I'm not seeing the Uncle Tom parallel but just because you're hispanic doesn't mean you automatically are well versed in the noble culture of pinatas, tacos and dio de los muertos - likewise, a white guy growing up in Mexico would probably have a more authentic idea of what everyday mexican life was. All I'm saying is that the only thing keeping everyone from writing this off as an offensive stereotype is the fact that the guy who made this is called Diego.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MrSlam posted:

Clarence Bomb is going on this week. Looking forward to marathoning it all when I get home. I gotta start supporting that show more. I don't know how much catching the premiere helps a show out but I know buying episodes on iTunes or Amazon does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gAT0-2luTI
The birthday episode was great. Chad status: still the best

Edit: Puberty must be kicking Jeff's voice actor in the rear end because he just can't do the old voice anymore. He's the kid on The Goldbergs as well but I haven't seen any of that to compare.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 5, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well, maybe I hosed up in my observation. I just think that if someone grew up celebrating dia de los muertos, running a food stand, w/e, they shouldn't be made to feel bad for putting it in their cartoon even if it skirts close to a token checklist. I don't know the creator but I doubt that he would put things into his own pilot that he didn't have a personal relationship with. pilots are pretty much an artist laying it all out on the table and either sinking or swimming, and Cartoon Network is very hands off in letting artists tell their own story and not saying "it has to have -this- and it has to be like -this-".

i'm the fragile idiot not wanting anyone's perspective to be invalid on any side :(

(also disney literally tried to trademark 'dia de los muertos' a couple of years ago because they thought they were big enough to get away with it. so at this point i'm always on board with someone wanting to draw on that if it was legitimately a part of their life/family/history. i still cant loving believe Disney tried to trademark it)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 5, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think they said taco a lot because taco is a funny word.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

nerdman42 posted:

Cartoon Network's releasing potential pilots again.

Infinity Train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6kfVWv01k

I was wondering why Atticus sounded so familiar then I checked the credits. It's Ernie Hudson! Cool!

Also, killer pilot. I'd love to see this picked up as a series. It has an interesting premise.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If Infinity Train doesn't end with the train crashing and the kids being eaten by a polar bear I will be very disappointed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harvey Beaks is cancelled. CH Greenblatt, the creator, found out not from Nickelodeon but on Twitter. He's pretty sore about it although I won't paste quotes because there's a chance he'll delete some of his posts later.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Harvey Beaks is cancelled. CH Greenblatt, the creator, found out not from Nickelodeon but on Twitter. He's pretty sore about it although I won't paste quotes because there's a chance he'll delete some of his posts later.

That's twice now that he's gotten screwed over regarding one of his shows, wonder what's next for him

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Getting screwed over regarding one of his shows a third time, obviously!

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Has Disney screwed Greenblatt? He could go over there

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Considering that they seemingly tried to sabotage Gravity Falls every chance they got,they'ed probably jump at the chance to screw him over.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

He was a director on Fish Hooks alongside Chowder's creative director William Reiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I didn't know Chowder got hosed over, but then I forgot it aired during that era when CN was trying to be some bizarre Nick-esque reality-driven network.

Maybe Greenblatt should go back to CN now that they're back in the business of, you know, cartoons.