Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Dark Messiah is very good, but kicking something was rarely a bad move.

Discovered something fun the other day. When you start up a new game you get a quick in-engine cutscene with Master Phenrig before you start the Shantiri Temple. At this point, you can actually use the kick button and see him punted backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I would welcome kicking in mw, goddamn mudcrabs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Messiah's fun because Satan's your dad and siding with him DOESN'T lead to a horrible betrayal, unless you want to be the one to betray Satan. You can also side with the demon lady instead of Hot Girlfriend and leave her captured by cultists, then find her later as an angry zombie.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
always save demon lady crew whatup

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

God dammit. I was having a good time until NPCs started disappearing. When is this god drat patch coming out?

I guess I'll try New Vegas now that I'm playing all these old Bethesda games that I skipped.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Happy Hedonist posted:

God dammit. I was having a good time until NPCs started disappearing. When is this god drat patch coming out?

I guess I'll try New Vegas now that I'm playing all these old Bethesda games that I skipped.

New Vegas was actually made by Obsidian, which did Knights of the Old Republic 2 (another game where their publisher screwed them in some manner before it was complete). They're made up of a lot of the old people who made Fallout and Fallout 2, so it's actually sort of the "true" Fallout 3: it takes place in a nearby area and deals with things like the expansion of the New California Republic and the remnants of the Enclave and Brotherhood of Steel out there. Bethesda hosed around and kinda made a theme park version of Fallout with their games, so it's nice to get it back in the hands of the creators.

The writing is also loving worlds ahead of Bethesda.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

New Vegas was actually made by Obsidian, which did Knights of the Old Republic 2 (another game where their publisher screwed them in some manner before it was complete). They're made up of a lot of the old people who made Fallout and Fallout 2, so it's actually sort of the "true" Fallout 3: it takes place in a nearby area and deals with things like the expansion of the New California Republic and the remnants of the Enclave and Brotherhood of Steel out there. Bethesda hosed around and kinda made a theme park version of Fallout with their games, so it's nice to get it back in the hands of the creators.

The writing is also loving worlds ahead of Bethesda.

Unfortunately it just crashes, which I guess is a common problem in Win10 and none of the "fixes" work for me. I gave up. Bethesda published games that aren't Doom or Wolfenstein are dumb.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

Unfortunately it just crashes, which I guess is a common problem in Win10 and none of the "fixes" work for me. I gave up. Bethesda published games that aren't Doom or Wolfenstein are dumb.
Tried NVAC?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I just did and no go. Apparently it has something to do with the Win10 Anniversary update and current Nvidia drivers. I'm not willing to rollback my drivers to play the game right now so I just moved on to Divinity Original Sin which seems fun. I'd love to play these games, but they don't want me to right now. I'll come back after poo poo is fixed.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

I just did and no go. Apparently it has something to do with the Win10 Anniversary update and current Nvidia drivers. I'm not willing to rollback my drivers to play the game right now so I just moved on to Divinity Original Sin which seems fun. I'd love to play these games, but they don't want me to right now. I'll come back after poo poo is fixed.
Version 7.5 is supposed to handle that. Since I don't think NVAC's readme mentions this: It's a NVSE plugin. That means that you need to have NVSE and launch the game with nvse_loader.exe in order for it to work.
Maybe you've already given up on it, but you could try asking in the FNV modding thread.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42190/
that to make running slightly faster and stamina work like you expect it to

morrowind code patch - make sure you enable swiftcasting
morrowind patch project
MGEXE - enable volumetric fog and set your resolution correctly.

I don't recommend MGSO because it's a huge pain and pretty outdated at this point. But if you want:
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-78-12231 - the main thing
http://download.fliggerty.com/download-13-726 - MGSO unofficial patch
http://download.fliggerty.com/download--852 - MGSO missing textures they forgot

also theres a whole still active morrowind modding thread

MGSO is a huge pain compared to what? It's either that or spend 3+ hours setting everything up manually.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Replaying this made me realize that Bleak Falls Barrow is really obviously a press demo that front loads every single dungeon gimmick and puzzle seen in the rest of the game into a single showpiece.

Bordering on deceptive.

"Look, you need to examine the 3d model of items in your inventory to solve puzzles!" (Never uses feature again in 100+ hours of game time)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's pretty lame that every Hearthfire house is identical. I thought the one in the Pale would look at least a little different from the one by Falkreath.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Fintilgin posted:

Replaying this made me realize that Bleak Falls Barrow is really obviously a press demo that front loads every single dungeon gimmick and puzzle seen in the rest of the game into a single showpiece.

Bordering on deceptive.

"Look, you need to examine the 3d model of items in your inventory to solve puzzles!" (Never uses feature again in 100+ hours of game time)

Oblivion did the same thing with the prison escape at the beginning. "Look at this physics trap! You can push these logs onto those goblins instead of fighting them!"

I've always appreciated that Morrowind has no tutorial dungeon. It just dumps you into a town and is all like "You're free now, do what you want."

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have distinct memories of playing Morrowind as a kid on my giant Xbox staying up all night with my friends. I remember the guy falling out of the sky in front of the starter city, the boots that made you blind, my friend found a sword of white woe under a dresser, some kind of ring that had a paralyze spell. An old man with no shirt and dusty pants that beat the poo poo out of us when we tried to take his stuff. Good times.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

RBA Starblade posted:

It's pretty lame that every Hearthfire house is identical. I thought the one in the Pale would look at least a little different from the one by Falkreath.

See, I liked choosing each of the 3 rooms for each house deliberately and fitting them together with a theme such as the Falkreath house had the big kitchen and the garden and the house up near Solitude got towers to take in the view.

The lame thing for me was that there were exactly as many room options to build as there were places to build them, which felt really constraining.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nth Doctor posted:

See, I liked choosing each of the 3 rooms for each house deliberately and fitting them together with a theme such as the Falkreath house had the big kitchen and the garden and the house up near Solitude got towers to take in the view.

The lame thing for me was that there were exactly as many room options to build as there were places to build them, which felt really constraining.

No that's fine, I mean that the rooms themselves are identical, and the exteriors are too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Skyrim SE keeps crashing on me unmodded and modded after a seemingly set amount of time. Had ctd while not doing anything in the perk menu, when i shot the tutorial bear, and running around during the dragon attack.

Its a shame because i like having less mods to sift through.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Picked this up for the first time and I'm enjoying myself. Is there a way to make wizard robes viable? Do I just have to mainline the mages guild quest like you had to do in Oblivion? Is there an easy way to get to winterhold other than walking a billion miles?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mountaineer posted:

Oblivion did the same thing with the prison escape at the beginning. "Look at this physics trap! You can push these logs onto those goblins instead of fighting them!"

I've always appreciated that Morrowind has no tutorial dungeon. It just dumps you into a town and is all like "You're free now, do what you want."

A couple of the other Oblivion dungeons had neat traps, but overall the people in charge of level design at Bethesda have the imagination of something with no imagination

like a rock

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

A couple of the other Oblivion dungeons had neat traps, but overall the people in charge of level design at Bethesda have the imagination of something with no imagination

like a rock

I mean, dungeon design in Skyrim seems to be leagues above Oblivion and even FO:4 imo

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Picked this up for the first time and I'm enjoying myself. Is there a way to make wizard robes viable? Do I just have to mainline the mages guild quest like you had to do in Oblivion? Is there an easy way to get to winterhold other than walking a billion miles?

Alteration perks increase the strength of flesh spells if you dont wear armor.
Walk to Whiterun and hire the carriage to take you to Winterhold.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, dungeon design in Skyrim seems to be leagues above Oblivion and even FO:4 imo

Oblivion started the whole thing where dungeons wrap around to the beginning so you dont have to walk back through the place you looted. But Skyrim fully implemented it in their whole dungeon design which is nice.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Alteration perks increase the strength of flesh spells if you dont wear armor.
Walk to Whiterun and hire the carriage to take you to Winterhold.

what.

I walked all the way to Riften :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
My desire to walk everywhere on a new Skyrim save lasts about as long as it takes to walk from one major city to another once and then I just throw up my hands and pay for rides.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Nasgate posted:

Skyrim SE keeps crashing on me unmodded and modded after a seemingly set amount of time. Had ctd while not doing anything in the perk menu, when i shot the tutorial bear, and running around during the dragon attack.

Its a shame because i like having less mods to sift through.

Windows 10?

Pretty sure this was what fixed it for me:

quote:

12: Skyrim Crash On Windows 10 Every 15 Minutes
You must Disable the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" service. Click your windows button, type in "services" and select that app it finds, which should be called "Services". In services, scroll down until you find the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service".

Double click the service name.
For "startup type" select "disabled"
Then click the stop button.
http://www.gamepur.com/guide/24760-skyrim-special-edition-error-fix-black-screen-startup-transfer-old-saves.html

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Orv posted:

My desire to walk everywhere on a new Skyrim save lasts about as long as it takes to walk from one major city to another once and then I just throw up my hands and pay for rides.

Yeah, the way I play these games is to start in a major city, and then walk in a direction. I do random quests, dungeons, sights, ect. until I am bored and then go off in another random direction.

I really like the little stories that they are putting into this worlds cities though. The cult/silver monopoly in markarth and Riften being a den of corruption and theives are pretty cool.

It is kind of lame that Whiterun is completely lovely and boring and that's the place the story sends you first.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Still, at they look good and aren't a huge pain, unlike Fallout 4 settlements.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I keep finding myself wishing I could be a one man army in Skyrim, just slaughtering my way through Thalmor and Imperial nobles and Nordic collaborators until everyone is united behind me. Is there a mod for that?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Infinite Karma posted:

I keep finding myself wishing I could be a one man army in Skyrim, just slaughtering my way through Thalmor and Imperial nobles and Nordic collaborators until everyone is united behind me. Is there a mod for that?

Yes its called playing the main quest :v:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Error 404 posted:

I'm already getting fed up with listening to my allies when they tell me I can't go in guns blazing. I massacred a bunch of Thalmor guards and spies at the Embassy, but then I go back to Winterhold and there is a Thalmor agent talking smugly down to me. I side with Ulfric, and then go to Markarth and talk to the Jarl who betrayed Ulfric, and I have to play nice with the Jarl, get framed, stop killing guards, let them arrest me, and refrain from killing a bunch of conspirators, escape, and still not do anything to the Jarl or the nobles who did all of that. I was able to chase down the Forsworn who escaped from prison with me, and luckily they weren't invincible.

Sure, the main quest and civil war quest will let me do a lot of that, but it's a lot of hoops to jump through to do what I obviously want to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This remaster is done in such typical bethesda fashion. Update the engine and half rear end everything else.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Error 404 posted:

In a bethesda game? Why would you ever do that to yourself?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I finished the main quest multiple times in Arena and Morrowind.

Just once in Daggerfall (though I kept a save before making The Choice to get to see all endings).

Not at all in Oblivion, I stopped soon after getting to the Blades' mountain fortress.

Not even started in Skyrim (the old guys on the mountain are still waiting for me), and didn't choose a side in the Civil War either (because really, gently caress 'em both).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Error 404 posted:

Holy poo poo man. There is no need to recommend someone play the main quest in a ES/FO game.

His question wasn't that out of line.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the main quest is what I do once I've gotten bored by a bethesda game, to really drive the point home. Then I never get the urge to play it again.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Also Bethesda I like the idea of your integrated mod thing.

But get some more loving bandwidth, it shouldn't take me an hour to DL 500 megs.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mountaineer posted:

I always figured Addamasartus was the tutorial dungeon. Has a decent chunk of stuff you'll either deal with or fight.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

the main quest in Skyrim was good. You get to ride a dragon into Hel and shout death into nonexistence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's also really short, or I forgot most of it.