Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anthony Hopkins acting masterclass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kSGkGKwp9U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
While I'm enjoying the show, I do hope they start to reveal more major things soon. Otherwise it might get tedious.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

DuhSal posted:

While I'm enjoying the show, I do hope they start to reveal more major things soon. Otherwise it might get tedious.

It's already gone over to Lost levels of mystery, I can't tell if I'm watching the show or just looking for answers now.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's already gone over to Lost levels of mystery, I can't tell if I'm watching the show or just looking for answers now.

That's what I'm afraid of. I enjoyed the journey of LOST when it was on but I don't want this show to be that at all. Definitely don't want it to end like that either, if it does get to have an ending. Feel like this show should be better than that.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I can't wait for the season cliffhanger where it turns out that Locke Ford is actually dead and the MiB the MiB tries to escape the island park.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
William's actor is a clone of Jacob, as far as I'm concerned.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DuhSal posted:

That's what I'm afraid of. I enjoyed the journey of LOST when it was on but I don't want this show to be that at all. Definitely don't want it to end like that either, if it does get to have an ending. Feel like this show should be better than that.

I also enjoyed the journey of Lost, but I think Abrams has learned a lot from its missteps. Fringe set up a ton of stuff early too, but steadily paid it off in ways Lost didn't get to. Like Westworld it also didn't have Damon Lindelof as a showrunner, who has a career-long habit of packing every idea he has into a script before he knows how to sort or resolve it. Jonathan Nolan on the other hand is pretty capable of paying off early setup.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I also think it's a bit simplistic to say "Oh this timeline stuff is Jonathan Nolan, once again Jonathan Nolaning it up!" :jerkbag:

But really, if this is legit, the editing and the confusion of the timelines and whatnot makes sense thematically, because we're in a confusing loop--just like the Hosts.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

I also enjoyed the journey of Lost, but I think Abrams has learned a lot from its missteps. Fringe set up a ton of stuff early too, but steadily paid it off in ways Lost didn't get to. Like Westworld it also didn't have Damon Lindelof as a showrunner, who has a career-long habit of packing every idea he has into a script before he knows how to sort or resolve it. Jonathan Nolan on the other hand is pretty capable of paying off early setup.

Yea Jonathan Nolan's involvement has got me a tad more optimistic but I'm still mostly concerned. We'll see how it goes.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Anyone has any idea which episode is going to demolish all this split timeline nonsense?
It's gotten really tedious and it's proponents obnoxious - just wanna enjoy the show discussion moron-free.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Re-watched ep 2.

The mib timeline thing is whatever. It's well known, telegraphed, at this point. What is it that we don't know? There will be something else that is the "big reveal" towards the end of the season, and it ain't about a lonely nerd chasing his first robot love for 30 years.

What other things are there that it could be? All I come up with is how this technology impacts the broader world/universe where real people live. Army robots? Cloning people as stand ins? Trying to create a new society? Using what you learn about guests to exploit them into maniupulation in the real world?

Ep 3 has that bot that was trying to seemingly map out a celestial map. And there was talk about how someone is exporting secrets. To me, I'm thinkin that delos def is on a different planet. That bot was trying to get a bearing on some celestial body so that it could beam data out to a satelite in orbit. Who wants the data? What data is there to send?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Phi230 posted:

some dude on reddit noticed two blatant and obvious detail that destroys 2 timelines.

Are you writing a Buzzfeed article or something?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Monglo posted:

Anyone has any idea which episode is going to demolish all this split timeline nonsense?
It's gotten really tedious and it's proponents obnoxious - just wanna enjoy the show discussion moron-free.

The final scene of the season finale. We're absolutely watching the Prologue Season.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Deloreses dad is one of the old bots. You can see the old westworld logo on a jacket of a worker in the scene with him.

So, that would put his realization when they were still mechanical instead of 3d printed androids

But again, this doesn't matter as much as whats the broader impact of this technology on the world outside.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't subscribe to the timelines theory, rather I'm mainly curious as to what exactly is the cycle of the park itself. I remember hearing someone say they spent two weeks there, and others have talked about coming back annually. So is it two weeks a year and then the rest of the year is the workers resetting and fine-tuning? Or a seasonal attraction and there's an off-season? Or is it year-round and everything gets reset every single night? I feel like the few statements we've heard guests say about it don't really clarify.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I don't subscribe to the timelines theory, rather I'm mainly curious as to what exactly is the cycle of the park itself. I remember hearing someone say they spent two weeks there, and others have talked about coming back annually. So is it two weeks a year and then the rest of the year is the workers resetting and fine-tuning? Or a seasonal attraction and there's an off-season? Or is it year-round and everything gets reset every single night? I feel like the few statements we've heard guests say about it don't really clarify.

If it was only a short period of time a year it woould explain why someone hasn't exploited the poo poo out of story lines yet.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Right now, the technology looks limitless and almost all powerful. But theres got to be limits.

the man in black, when he was activating the maze easter egg, mentioned how he could start to see the cracks.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KoRMaK posted:

Re-watched ep 2.

The mib timeline thing is whatever. It's well known, telegraphed, at this point. What is it that we don't know? There will be something else that is the "big reveal" towards the end of the season, and it ain't about a lonely nerd chasing his first robot love for 30 years.

What other things are there that it could be? All I come up with is how this technology impacts the broader world/universe where real people live. Army robots? Cloning people as stand ins? Trying to create a new society? Using what you learn about guests to exploit them into maniupulation in the real world?

Ep 3 has that bot that was trying to seemingly map out a celestial map. And there was talk about how someone is exporting secrets. To me, I'm thinkin that delos def is on a different planet. That bot was trying to get a bearing on some celestial body so that it could beam data out to a satelite in orbit. Who wants the data? What data is there to send?

The technology is pretty terrifying. Imagine being able to replace a politician with a host replica that does your bidding. Even the threat of doing just that, you'll be dead, a robot will take your place and your loved ones will never know the difference.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What era is the hemsworth and the behaviors girl from? OldWorld or PresentWorld? I ask because that world is the one that is beaming out data.

And also, the hemsworth had an interesting take on the robots being desctrutive. He sleeps with his gun :guagmire: is that because he foresees something or knows something?

Maybe the stray killed itself because it almost killed a guest.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I will say that the best support for the timeline theory is this thread calling them Bill & Ted, because we'd be technically traveling back to the past while watching their scenes. It would be just like Abrams and Nolan to put in a reference like that.

But I guess we won't know unless there's a scene where they tame some WYLD STALLYNS!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

What era is the hemsworth and the behaviors girl from? OldWorld or PresentWorld?

If it's as simple as "There are two different eras" then the scenes with the staff all virtually have to be at PresentWorld. I still think the weird editing is more complicated than two timelines, and I'd bet it has to do with a character's perception. Something like "half of what we see is in Dolores's memory and nowhere else." Maybe I place too much trust in Nolan, but I think it's something I haven't figured out yet, but that it has more to do with layered realities than timeframes.

The people who say the two timeframes theory folks are "obnoxious" are way more insufferable than the people advocating for it, though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why would the scenes with staff have to be PresentWorld?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

The staff, who age (even assuming one or two of them are hosts, most of them do), have all interacted with one another, and Anthony Hopkins has interacted directly with the Man in Black, who, I assume, has to be in the older part of the timeline. This is part of the reason it doesn't work all the way for me, honestly. If Maeve's rebellion could have been a part of the old timeline and she was destroyed afterward, I could see how it could work, narratively. As it stands, virtually everything outside of Bill and Logan's Excellent Adventures has to be in the Late timeframe. I could be wrong, of course (if Bernard is a host, for example, it opens up more discussion for the idea that the human segments also take place in two timeframes, but there's still a lot of hoops to jump through to make it work.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Nill posted:

Considering the editing in this show I'm not sure how scene order can be pointed to as proof of anything.

But if you're the first person to post about a detail that confirms one theory over another, you win the internet and all the respect of fellow TV/IV posters.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

The staff, who age (even assuming one or two of them are hosts, most of them do), have all interacted with one another, and Anthony Hopkins has interacted directly with the Man in Black, who, I assume, has to be in the older part of the timeline. This is part of the reason it doesn't work all the way for me, honestly. If Maeve's rebellion could have been a part of the old timeline and she was destroyed afterward, I could see how it could work, narratively. As it stands, virtually everything outside of Bill and Logan's Excellent Adventures has to be in the Late timeframe. I could be wrong, of course (if Bernard is a host, for example, it opens up more discussion for the idea that the human segments also take place in two timeframes, but there's still a lot of hoops to jump through to make it work.
I dunno about your logic on this. Your previous post had some interesting stuff though.

So I guess, my intepreation of what you are saying is that we still don't know if the hemsworth and behaivor girl is OldWorld or PresentWorld. Bheaivor girl interacted with Berdnard too, so there is that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

KoRMaK posted:

Because they've all interacted with Anthony Hopkins or with someone who has interacted with him.

E: beaten like Logan.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lycus posted:

Because they've all interacted with Anthony Hopkins or with someone who has interacted with him.

Oh, poo poo yea. So then Bernard is present world too then.

e: oh wait, the hemsworth was in a convo with another staff talking about delores. She's outside of her loop and it's unclear if she is with a guest because of all the disruptions the boss is making.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 5, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Has Bernard's lady interacted with Hemsworth and Elsie?

Just Lol if Bernard is a host and there are also split time frames in the control center too

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes. Off the top of my head, she berated Elsie for downplaying the stray woodcutter's behavior.

E: She's Stubbs's boss, she ordered him down to cold storage in Ep 1.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
But what if the staff of Westworld ages backwards? All evidence pretty much supports the backwards-aging theory.
Have you seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? Why would they make the movie if the staff at Westworld doesn't age backwards? Seems like an unnecessary expensive red herring.
People who don't see the truth in the backwards-aging Westworld staff are insufferable.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes, in the room with the stray.

She's the one who booted Elsie off the case.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Oh, poo poo yea. So then Bernard is present world too then.

Right, so the excuse that makes some of it seem easy is that Bernard is a host, and therefore in both eras. Maybe Bernard II is a host that Ford created so he could talk to a fascimile of his pupil following some kind of tragic death, a suicide following his son's death, yadda, yadda, etc. But it still doesn't work: Teresa still has to be in the present (has interacted with old Ford), as does Sizemore. I don't remember who is in the Sizemore narrative scene, because I haven't really been tracking for two timeframes, but Stubbs also probably has to be because he complains about cold storage so much, and Elsie works with Stubbs. Elsie has interacted with most of the other staff.

There are ways to make it work, probably, so that things are more evenly distributed among the two eras, but it involves making a ton of human characters being hosts, probably more than is acceptable for good storytelling. If it is two timeframes, it seems to me that things are a bit too weighted on the present (or future, depending on what you want to call what).

There probably is something unrevealed going on with both time and perception, but I still think it has to be way more complicated than "There are two things happening 30 years apart, and either William or Logan is the Man in Black." We'll see how it plays out, though. Going to be a fun season to rewatch either way, I reckon.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 5, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Monglo posted:

But what if the staff of Westworld ages backwards? All evidence pretty much supports the backwards-aging theory.

Anthony Hopkins (in an absolute rage): Blow me to Bermuda!! *rockets away*

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I like all the ways the MiB knows how to activate stuff.

That whole dance and bullet thing with lazlo's wife wasn't because he wanted to, its because he knew he had to enter the code to get the next step to unlock. He had to dance the dance (hehehe)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
It's a universe where you can't tell the difference between robots and people, and the jury is still out on whether or not people can become robots or robots can become people. It's plausible that some characters are older than they look, and not a far stretch to imagine the technology permitting copies.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You mean like putting your mind in a robot body, and living out your immortal days in westworld?

Like San Junipero.....

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Even though they are roboits, you stil feel for them. Like, even as a viewer of a TV show I still forget that they are robots, inside of a show, and start feeling empathy. I could only imagine what it's like to be there in person as a guest and see what empathetic drives take over.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
The story of the robots in Westworld is 100% more interesting to me than anything else in this show. Seriously, if the robots gaining "consciousness" ends up simply being some kind of dumb corporate espionage or some dude trying to sabotage the park I'm gonna be so pissed. The show to me is at it's peak when it's about humans acting like loving assholes while these 'bots start getting wise to the fact that they're in a park and that these are just assholes who don't give a poo poo about them living their hosed up fantasies. It needs to be 'bots vs. humans, period. At least in my view. The stuff with the "man in black" trying to find the maze doesn't, like, totally uninterest me but it's a whole lot less interesting than what Dolores and Maeve are up to.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

you gonan get mad? at a tv show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pixelante posted:

It's a universe where you can't tell the difference between robots and people, and the jury is still out on whether or not people can become robots or robots can become people. It's plausible that some characters are older than they look, and not a far stretch to imagine the technology permitting copies.

• Locked thread