Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Endorph posted:

Breit "The Hitman" Bart

anyway i dont think the guy should be strung up or anything but he holds some pretty lovely positions/has said some lovely things and willingly associates with some pretty lovely sides of the internet. the original article was overblown in some areas but did point out some legit flaws that nobody was really talking about and his response was wayyyy more overblown, so the fact that this got so dramatic is more on him than on the person who wrote the article (but not completely on him and the person writing the article probably should have asked him for context even if she declined to publish his comments? like she could have just gone 'when you say disabled in the code what do you mean' and then just written with that knowledge in mind without having to actually publish anything he said. but still.) and even if he fixes stuff he's still a bit of an rear end. if people like the game and want to support it then whatever but i think it's okay to point out things you feel are hosed up. peace.

Why is it on him, rather than on the reporter to make sure s/he is making accurate statements? Did they ask for comment on those specific things? My understanding is they did not, and went dark when he was worried about having his comments taken out of context. While I understand (and don't thnk they're wrong in this) they don't want to give him a soapbox, I'm sure there's also a third option: agreeding to either include or omit statements of his without editing or rewording. So they don't have to include anything he says, but it has to be complete.

Which are the 'legitimate' issues that the author of the piece brought up? I may have missed one, but some of the bugs were already known (and I think some have also been pointed out to him as part of the discussion - which granted would not have happened if not for the article). The problem is that the tone such that they are *starting* from the position or assumption that he's a bad dude - the very title - that it 'enforces strict gender roles' is pretty suspect. I don't think even someone who thinks his probabilistic model is a bad thing would argue it's really enforcing 'strict gender roles'.

Remember, not only are the comments hers (they don't show up in decompiled code) but so are the variable names as far as I know. (At least in some cases).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

I assume they're referring to the newest tweet on his account.

But given that the second one is about the controversy, it hardly seems like a nefarious cover-up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fayk posted:

Why is it on him, rather than on the reporter to make sure s/he is making accurate statements? Did they ask for comment on those specific things? My understanding is they did not, and went dark when he was worried about having his comments taken out of context. While I understand (and don't thnk they're wrong in this) they don't want to give him a soapbox, I'm sure there's also a third option: agreeding to either include or omit statements of his without editing or rewording. So they don't have to include anything he says, but it has to be complete.

Because we live in a post-factual world absent of journalistic integrity.

Also RPS is basically just a blog

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Because we live in a post-factual world absent of journalistic integrity.

Also RPS is basically just a blog

Er, I'm not sure there was anything in that article that was false. They even couched it repeatedly in terms of it being early access and subject to change. I think the worst condemnation you can give is that they didn't state their editorial policies up front, and that the head line was (potentially) misleading. (Also, I like RPS in general.)

It's also absolutely not worth getting worked up over, in my opinion.

Tynan's response was dumb as hell, people deciding they don't want to buy the game over this are overreacting, people calling this an SJW hit piece are also overreacting.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to decide which of these raiders is going to bleed out, and which I'm going to save for their traits (or organs).

e: I'll repeat though, this is the type of criticism that I like to see. I think it's interesting, and uses the code to look at a specific (irritating) facet of the game and how it reflects on society. I hope RPS continues to fund this kind of stuff.

ABen fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 4, 2016

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

https://steamcommunity.com/games/294100/announcements/detail/516054012099474890

I was referring to this, various non-bisexual friendos.

Seems proper trading will be a thing in the next update. I can't wait to send caravans of unwanted colonists to the heart of enemy territory.

Mayhap we even start and manage additional colonies, given that settle button and the fact that there already appears to be a home base? Maybe you just get to set up additional friendly colonies run by AI. WHO KNOWS. :argh:

I could really see the idea of two or three colonies working to support each other. Maybe we could have seperate a colony for the men and women, so they don't friendzone each other?

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 4, 2016

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Fayk posted:

Which are the 'legitimate' issues that the author of the piece brought up? I may have missed one, but some of the bugs were already known (and I think some have also been pointed out to him as part of the discussion - which granted would not have happened if not for the article). The problem is that the tone such that they are *starting* from the position or assumption that he's a bad dude - the very title - that it 'enforces strict gender roles' is pretty suspect. I don't think even someone who thinks his probabilistic model is a bad thing would argue it's really enforcing 'strict gender roles'.

The obvious "legitimate" criticisms would be that the gender specific initiation chances and age preferences are practically caricatures of 'old fashioned' stereotypes (which makes sense once you learn he somehow thought it was a good idea to use OKCupid statistics to guide in person interactions), and that women can be bisexual while men can't.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ABen posted:

Er, I'm not sure there was anything in that article that was false.

Since I'm pedantic as gently caress: attraction isn't on a scale of 0.0 to 1.0; technically there's no upper bound although it can't go higher than 4.6 currently.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

McGiggins posted:

Seems proper trading will be a thing in the next update. I can't wait to send caravans of unwanted colonists to the heart of enemy territory.

Mayhap we even start and manage additional colonies, given that settle button and the fact that there already appears to be a home base? Maybe you just get to set up additional friendly colonies run by AI. WHO KNOWS. :argh:

I could really see the idea of two or three colonies working to support each other. Maybe we could have seperate a colony for the men and women, so they don't friendzone each other?

this right here looks rad as heck and i dont care if my electric mans have a weirdo's worldview or not

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Blazing Zero posted:

this right here looks rad as heck and i dont care if my electric mans have a weirdo's worldview or not

Yeah, wow. Tynan teased "Major structural changes" but that goes well beyond what I was expecting.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Zhentar posted:

Since I'm pedantic as gently caress: attraction isn't on a scale of 0.0 to 1.0; technically there's no upper bound although it can't go higher than 4.6 currently.

Huh, do you know what the check is for a successful relationship? Is it >1.0 or something else?

Unrelated (kinda), I looked through the Steam guides for a modding guide and found nothing actually useful - is there someplace specific you would start? (Wouldn't bother you, but you seem to know a lot about specifics, and where to find variables.)

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Wrr posted:

Are there any mods for a quicker start to the game? Like some sort of unpackable prefab building? I often like to mess around with starting various colonies but that initial hump of setting everything up (in more or less the same way) before the game really gets going often pushes me away. I'm imagining some sort of lovely-but-good-enough cooler or sleeping tent I can deploy to get things rolling.

The 'misc core' mod has Misc Map generator

This thing is awesome, you will end up with all sorts of structures around the map that can be used or deconstructed as you like. Treasure too.

I don't know how I played without this mod now, it's that great.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

McGiggins posted:

holy poo poo this looks great

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
NO tyrannical stallone must must stop working on that overmap and work only on gender!!! !

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Baloogan posted:

NO tyrannical stallone must must stop working on that overmap and work only on gender!!! !

have fun fighting the good fight against the weird strawman you've managed to construct in your head

im excited for the game to get cool new poo poo cuz the game is good and fun in spite of tynan being an ignorant poo poo

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You guys ever play Pharoah or Caesaer? This is reminding me of that. I love the idea of peddling my poo poo all over the planet.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ABen posted:

Huh, do you know what the check is for a successful relationship? Is it >1.0 or something else?

Unrelated (kinda), I looked through the Steam guides for a modding guide and found nothing actually useful - is there someplace specific you would start? (Wouldn't bother you, but you seem to know a lot about specifics, and where to find variables.)

It gets used in a couple different ways. When a pawn decides to interact with another pawn, it randomly picks an interaction from all the different possible interactions; each one gets assigned a weight that makes it more or less likely to be chosen. In the best possible case (attraction is >= 1.0, initiator's opinion of the other pawn is 100, initiator doesn't have a partner or hates their partner, and is male), there's roughly a 50% chance that the pawn will initiate a romance attempt. For the recipient, if they have 100 opinion of the initiator, and no partner, an initiator with an attractiveness of 1.67 is enough to guarantee accepting; a 4.6 attractiveness would guarantee accepting all the way down to 35 opinion

The modding page on the wiki is a good place to start: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Tutorials

Once you understand the basics, the Ludeon modding help subforum is a pretty good resource: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?board=14.0

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hihohe posted:

You guys ever play Pharoah or Caesaer? This is reminding me of that. I love the idea of peddling my poo poo all over the planet.

This but also raiding parties because I'm so god drat sick of these tunneling pirates

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ShadowMar posted:

have fun fighting the good fight against the weird strawman you've managed to construct in your head

im excited for the game to get cool new poo poo cuz the game is good and fun in spite of tynan being an ignorant poo poo

it might interest u to know that tyner sylvia is only halfway ignorant

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Danaru posted:

This but also raiding parties because I'm so god drat sick of these tunneling pirates
I wonder if you can just say gently caress it and go full on warlord of the wastes, raiding settlements for slaves to be put to work in the mines.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You mean, be the bad guys? One can only dream. I would like to build a crack squad of conquered megaspider-boxing slaves. They live in luxury, with no work other than war, but also wear only tribal gear and have no weapons. Neighboring settlements may make human donations to protect the spider-free realm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Oh wow that looks cool, I would love to be able to send people off on expeditions to like, mystery ruins and actually work my way through them to find loot and stuff?

Being able to send parties off to do things on the overworld would be such an amazing addition.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

McGiggins posted:

You mean, be the bad guys? One can only dream. I would like to build a crack squad of conquered megaspider-boxing slaves. They live in luxury, with no work other than war, but also wear only tribal gear and have no weapons. Neighboring settlements may make human donations to protect the spider-free realm.

You never go full Ottoman.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I think someone can hold bad opinions without being a bad person, as long as they express a certain willingness to be openminded and have their preconceived notions challenged and changed. I don't think ostracizing and villifying someone for their opinions is a good way to get someone to change; it doesn't really add anything productive to the conversation.

Now that that's out of the way:

Electric Shoes posted:

I'm loving how much extra content you can splice-in with mods!

Here's my current stronghold:

It's probably time to spruce the place up and work on making a mega structure now that my spacemans are post-scarcity.

Bonus shot of my melee meat-shield that's become more machine than man thanks to bionics:

Show off your bases!

I love your base! I've never really had a comfortable grasp on where to put hallways. Also, I notice you're using the crate mod. How is that? The description I read of it didn't reeeaaally give me a good idea of how it worked, and I was worried it might be more tedious than it's worth.

I look forward to seeing the megastructure you come up with!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
What mods should I look at to get better physical defenses? Like, what can I replace sandbags with?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

horse mans posted:

What mods should I look at to get better physical defenses? Like, what can I replace sandbags with?

ED-Embrasures is a really good defensive structure, to the point where it's actually a little bit OP. They function like walls, in that they cannot be pathed through and also retain heat, but they can be shot through. They completely neuter melee enemies and manhunter packs. I'm going to try going without them on my next run. The Medieval Mod has defensive parapets, which are like embrasures, but enemies can slowly climb over them. And there's a mod called "Helpful lights and miscelany" or something like that, which adds a fortification which provides better cover than sandbags. Looks cool, but costs uranium to build though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The climbable embrasure types are probably the best kind, they bug the AI out a lot less and hordes will bumrush them, you can still cheese using doors to disengage but it leads to less milling about in confusion by the AI while you shoot them with impunity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

The climbable embrasure types are probably the best kind, they bug the AI out a lot less and hordes will bumrush them, you can still cheese using doors to disengage but it leads to less milling about in confusion by the AI while you shoot them with impunity.

I've found the climbable embrasures to be mostly useless. They don't slow down the enemies any more than a sandbag really, and last time I had a "climbable" embrasure mod installed they didn't provide any more cover than a sandbag either

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

I've found the climbable embrasures to be mostly useless. They don't slow down the enemies any more than a sandbag really, and last time I had a "climbable" embrasure mod installed they didn't provide any more cover than a sandbag either

The ones in the medieval mod slow people down more than sandbags and also provide a greater defensive buff.

However, to use them, you must place your pawn directly behind the embrasure, because otherwise it doesn't quite work, if you do the normal trick of hiding behind a wall and using the permeable object to shoot through, you will actually end up with something not significantly better than just the wall.

It seems to be a quirk of really high cover modifier objects, it works fine for mediocre things like sandbags (and the base game overall), they contribute to the cover bonus of the wall and the wall is still the best cover you can get, but when the embrasure itself provides like 90% cover, by using it with a wall you are actually getting the 75% or so cover of the wall for the most part, and only a small part of the embrasure protection.

Basically the wall + sandbag trick only works when walls are the best cover, to use embrasures properly you want to basically enclose pawns from all directions with them creating little firing bastions, though that might be counterintuitive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a good current getting started guide?

I haven't played since alpha and frankly the game is a little overwhelming now

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a good current getting started guide?

I haven't played since alpha and frankly the game is a little overwhelming now

There's always the tutorial!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Technically the last time anyone has played this game was the alpha

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
yah good point I meant like first few weeks of initial release

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone have any input on how this game runs on near-min-spec hardware?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Just tell us what your processor is. I last played on Alpha 13 but I'm pretty sure it's the only component that matters and will decide the size of maps & how careful to be with fast forwarding.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It's a 2010 laptop and looks like the specs are: Processor and Graphics:• Intel ® Core™ i3-370M Processor 2.40 GHz, 3MB Cache • Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset • Mobile Intel® HD Graphics with 64-1696MB dynamically allocated shared graphic memory.

Pretty sure it has 4GB of RAM.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You should be fine. While those specs are bad, they're not absolutely terrible. Basically I look at the specs needed for the game and it's basically "a computer".
You might run into a little trouble if you play on a large map type. Medium should be fine. Mods if they impact performance you might want to avoid. I don't think there's any data on that as mod makers and users are usually above min spec.

Of course, if the game runs terribly and you got it on Steam, there's always the refund policy.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

McGiggins posted:

They even have a "settle" button.

It's exactly what I wanted but didn't dare to dream.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/794576080304803841?s=09

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
look, all I care about is the possibility of child labor and child solders as DF left a bitter taste in my mouth about those useless eaters in what is supposed to be a survival thing. :commissar: