Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

John Lee posted:

Forgive me if I missed a comment about it before, but: Prof, are you using a text dump with a different translation? I notice some of the dialogue from the video and the text in the post itself doesn't match up.

He's using the older PC translation as his text dump and editing it here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Yep, that. I'll be sticking with it unless I find a way to extract a text dump from the updated version I'm on now. Either way, the translations will sync up once I reach Episode 5.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 3, 2016

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

I've had an odd realisation reading over the past few updates in quick succession. Ever since Kanon went into the VIP room, he's been more than a bit flighty. We've got descriptions of him popping out of nowhere and disappearing just as quick (see the scene where Shannon prepares to go to the VIP room), and then there's the artwork for everyone entering the chapel. I'm not sure if it's an oversight, but despite him having lines just prior to the door being opened, he's not depicted there.

As for the lock, if you go over the scene where Rosa retrieves the envelope, there's no mention of the wax seal still being present. The culprit may well have just mirrored Rosa's move, and snuck in while the cousins were sleeping, used the key to arrange the meeting, then locked the door and placed it back in the bag.

On the topic of Rosa, why is she surprised by any of this? She was there with the rest of the siblings when Beatrice proved herself to be a witch (presumably by revealing the 3 bars of gold). This not only sets her up as an accomplice, but reveals that Beatrice has already found Kinzo's gold. This throws up yet another question, however. If she knows where the gold is herself, why is she so eager for the rest of the family to solve the epitaph? Does it lead to something other than the gold?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

vector_to posted:

On the topic of Rosa, why is she surprised by any of this? She was there with the rest of the siblings when Beatrice proved herself to be a witch (presumably by revealing the 3 bars of gold).

I actually looked it up, because I could have swore she wasn't, and yet...

ProfessorProf posted:

"...I, I also accept it. No doubt."
"Yes. I accept it. Without even a scrap of a complaint. I can't believe it's real... I honestly have feelings of respect."
"Me too... Incredible. I genuinely respect that. So I have to accept it."
"I also accept that... I still can't believe it. But, what can I do? You've proven devils! It's your victory...!"

So yeah. There you go, she's even more suspicious than before since aside from Beatrice (who has, naturally, gone AWOL), she's the only one that was around the Chapel the night before who didn't end up a ventilated corpse.

vector_to posted:

This throws up yet another question, however. If she knows where the gold is herself, why is she so eager for the rest of the family to solve the epitaph? Does it lead to something other than the gold?

Assumedly, solving the epitaph is essential to keep Beatrice from killing everybody, assuming that she's going to be the one blamed for the deaths.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 3, 2016

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

That still doesn't answer why. If Beatrice didn't know where the gold was, it makes sense; the family find the gold for her, then she kills everyone and is mad rich. If she already knows where to find the gold, then that means... what? What does she gain from having someone solve it? Why does that stop her from killing everyone? If she's human, it should have no effect, unless the epitaph leads to something other than the gold.

If she's a witch, then an argument can be made that SHE'S NOT A WITCH SHE'S NOT A WITCH SHE'S NOT A WITCH

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

:allears: Now that's the witch I know and love. I've been looking forward to Beatrice faces throughout this LP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The fact that Rosa was in the chapel the night before is a pretty important thing I would think. None of the other characters saw that. (Well other then us the readers and maybe the version of Battler that's playing against Beatrice.)

Though I feel we need more details first.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 4, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

MonsterEnvy posted:

the version of Battler that's playing against Beatrice

I guess now is a good time as any to give that a name, now that it's clear there's two "levels" to the story here: the Purgatory and Rokkenjima. To use terminology Beatrice has already been using for a while, you could say that what you see on Rokkenjima here is the game board and the people there are pieces. Beatrice and Battler are watching down on the game board from the Purgatory, so in the fandom that level is colloquially known as the meta.

In other words, when you need to make the distinction, the commonly used names are Meta-Battler and Piece-Battler.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'd love to know if the first series of events are supposed to be true, while the rest are game board versions that Beatrice is using to counter Battler's attempts to find a non-magical explanation. This sort of thing is confusing.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
How you interpret the events of each episode is up to you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EagerSleeper posted:

I'd love to know if the first series of events are supposed to be true, while the rest are game board versions that Beatrice is using to counter Battler's attempts to find a non-magical explanation. This sort of thing is confusing.

The end of the first episode implied they were events recorded by Maria. So we may be able take anything we saw in the first episode with a grain of salt. Trying to figure out the first episode should still help with figuring everything else out assuming stuff like the culprit is the same, although I honestly don't think we have enough info to solve it beyond speculation. We also can't look for patterns given that it's only the second episode.

tiistai posted:

I guess now is a good time as any to give that a name, now that it's clear there's two "levels" to the story here: the Purgatory and Rokkenjima. To use terminology Beatrice has already been using for a while, you could say that what you see on Rokkenjima here is the game board and the people there are pieces. Beatrice and Battler are watching down on the game board from the Purgatory, so in the fandom that level is colloquially known as the meta.

In other words, when you need to make the distinction, the commonly used names are Meta-Battler and Piece-Battler.

Thanks for this. This makes things easier naming wise.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 4, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

October 5th, 1986, 6:43 AM

BGM: Requiem

"We still don't know who the culprit is! And Beatrice-sama is an important honored guest to the Master...!"
"So what?!! If we grab her by the collar, she'll definitely confess!! If we can look her in the eye, we'll know. I'll see through her!! A witch?! Beatrice?!! I'll expose her for who she is!!"

Jessica never stopped moving. Gohda and Kanon chased after her, doing their best to convince her, but Jessica never lent them an ear. Eventually, the 'honored guest room of the witch' came into view.

The honored guest room that was forbidden and never used. No matter what kind of guest came, Kinzo wouldn't let them in this room. And yet, the servants were always made to clean this room, so that it could be used at any time. So the servants had started calling this room the 'honored guest room of the witch', their other shapeless master. Jessica also knew this. And she couldn't forgive the arrogance of the one who called herself a witch and stayed in that room.

Question them, make them give painful excuses, spit it out painfully, breathe painfully. No matter how hard she pretends to be a witch, I'll teach her that she's just a stinking, sweaty human!!

As Jessica yelled with all of her strength, she hit the door to the honored guest's room. It definitely wasn't a knock. That sound was the beating of her anger's hammer, as though she was saying that if they didn't open the door, she'd break it down.

"Open it, Beatrice!! Come out!! You hear me, right?! Open up!!!"

There was no answer. Jessica grabbed the doorknob without any reservation, but she felt the resistance of the lock. Jessica turned around to look at the two servants, and spoke.

"The master key opens this, right?! Open it!!"
"Milady...! That would be horribly rude...!!"

Although Gohda was flustered, he still tried to somehow calm Jessica's anger.

"Kanon-san...! Is that alright?!"
"...If she is there, then I agree that it would be rude. Still... If Beatrice has nothing to do with this, she just has to explain herself so that we can believe her."
"Th... that's right, exactly!! Give it here!"

Jessica snatched the master key from Kanon's hand, and violently shoved it into the keyhole. Immediately, there was a light sound and she felt the lock open. And without excusing herself, she flung open the door.

Jessica rudely stepped into the room. The witch wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"...That bitch!! She's not here!! Where the hell did she go?!"
"...Sh, she isn't here..."

Jessica, thinking that she might be hiding somewhere inside the room, peeked behind the curtains and under the bed, but she couldn't to find anyone. However, there definitely were signs that the bed had been used... it's an odd way to say it, but the atmosphere in the room grew a little softer. It wasn't the hard atmosphere of a place normally devoid of people, like the chapel. You could definitely tell that someone had spent the night in this room. But she could not be seen.

In reality, neither Jessica nor Gohda had met Beatrice. They had only been told by those who had met her that she looked like a double of the character in that portrait. So they were doubtful about what her face really looked like. However, Kanon alone had met her. And he understood what kind of being that witch was, and what kind of character she had. So he knew that if they were to force their way in here searching for her, she wouldn't let things go as they planned.

She must be watching us bitterly flail about in vain from somewhere, sneering at us. She's that kind of person. Because he was looking at things that way, Kanon was the first to find it. The other two were concentrating on finding the shadow of a person, so they hadn't noticed.

Kanon understood the witch. The witch would definitely scoff at them, as they found the bodies, forced their way in here in rage, and were unable to find her. Scorn cannot be fulfilled unless it is communicated.

So in other words... this was definitely, that...!

"...Milady. There's something written here."
"Written, what is it?!"

After Jessica quickly dashed over, she violently stole the piece of paper. She probably wasn't trying to be violent. She just couldn't control her strength now.

"...What the...?! D, don't gently caress with me!!!"

As soon as she read the message, Jessica went into a wild rage, crumpled the paper up, and threw it. Then, she grabbed an interior stand by the bedside and violently swung it around, mercilessly hitting the walls and furniture with it. The lightbulbs all shattered at once, and the fragments were scattered across the room.

"Milady, please calm yourself...! You'll hurt yourself!!"
"Let go!! drat it, drat it! Come out, Beatrice!! How could you do that to Mom and Dad!! You think you scare me!! I'll kill you, I'll kill you!! I'll beat you to death, so show yourself!!! I told you to let go of me, drat iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!"

This was written on the paper...

Because the text on some of the letters is small enough to be a pain to read at this resolution:

—Did you think I'd waste my time waiting comfortably in this place for you to barge in here?
You're too wild to be suitable for this intellectual night.
What kind of faces must your parents have had after raising you to be such a hapless fool?
Yeah, I saw them, they had perfectly stupid faces just like you.
Now they are in Candyland with their bellies all full!

...It sounded like something that witch would write... It meant that she had predicted that one of the children who had lost their parents would come running in here. If she was hiding somewhere in this room, she would surely be rolling around with laughter... The witch was that kind of person. She sneered at people's misfortune, using it to stave off the boredom of a thousand years...!

"Hand it over...! I am saying that you will hurt yourself...! nnnnn... nnnn!!"
"I told you to let go!! drat iiiiiit, drat iiiiiiit!! ...au!"

Gohda grabbed the interior stand Jessica had been swinging around. Because if she kept swinging it around, she might hit something and get injured. To Gohda's eyes, Jessica probably looked mad with rage, burning with the flames of anger... But Kanon's eyes saw it differently. Those were probably, tears of sadness, hidden by rage... Therefore...

At the moment the interior stand was taken from her, when Jessica started crying on the floor, scratching at the carpet almost as though she was groveling... Gohda was surprised, but Kanon was not. Her way of crying by brandishing her anger, had been stolen from her, so this was inevitable.

...Considering that she was a daughter of the Ushiromiya family, she was in a very shabby state. She scratched at the carpet with her fingernails, and even her feet were scratching. Jessica cried very, very hard... Because if she didn't, her rage would start building up again, and swallow her up.

But over and over again, she remembered that humiliating message... What kind of faces did your parents, who raised you to be so stupid, make?

"They aren't stupid!! Both Dad and Mom were smart!! Unlike me, they were really smart!! They aren't stupid! Take it back, take it back!!"

"Ooooooooooooooohhh, drat iiiiiit!! I'll kill her I'll kill her, I'll slice her stomach and make her meet the same end!! Uuuuaaaaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaa...!!! Hic, *cough*cough*, *cough*cough*cough*!!!"

As Jessica cried and screamed, she triggered an asthma attack... The servants watching over her hurriedly ran up to her and rubbed her back, but that only provoked Jessica's wrath...

"*cough*cough*!! 'the hell!! If you have the time to do that, search for that bastard!! Find them and bring them to me!! If you won't go, then I will!! And I'll kill them with my own hands, I'll slice their stomach!! *cough*cough*cough*cough*!! *cough*, *cough*!! Don't touch me!!! drat it, drat it, *cough*cough*!! *cough*cough*!!"

Jessica got up unsteadily, and as her asthma continued, she went out into the hallway...

"Milady, your medicine, quickly...! I will call Doctor Nanjo!"

Kanon had noticed. Gohda, who was much older, probably couldn't feel the tears in Jessica's heart. Kanon, who had noticed that himself, had to support her.

"K, Kanon-san. Is that alright...?"
"...I believe that Milady needs some time to cry for now. After seeing her parents, when they were killed like that..."
"...You're right."

Gohda also understood. And he also knew of the vague relationship that Jessica and Kanon shared. So he understood everything, and left it to Kanon.

"...Understood. I will go back to Rosa-sama. Please, take care of Milady."
"Yes. Leave it to me."

Kanon's voice was frail, but he nodded forcefully. After looking at his eyes, Gohda also nodded forcefully.

...Gohda was a veteran with many years behind him. He had seen a great number of people in his life. So he knew of the vigorous sparkle that could be found in the eyes of those who had self-control. He had surely seen that in Kanon's eyes. Therefore, he would leave this to Kanon. When you think about it, maybe this was the first moment that Gohda had trusted Kanon and relied on him for a job...

...Kanon chased after her wordlessly. If she had asked for a hand, he would have jumped over and supported her. But as long as Jessica didn't ask for that, he hid himself, watching over her from a distance where he could come to her rescue at any time. As Kanon remained in that spot where ten billion people would want someone else to be when their hearts felt like they would explode from sadness, he silently watched Jessica's back...

Then, finally, she was crouching in front of the door to her own room. The asthma attack had stolen all of her strength. And her thoughts had gotten hazy from the lack of oxygen, so that she could no longer stand up. But right now, Jessica wasn't thinking that she wanted someone to lend a hand. Because she still hadn't been able to overcome the flames of anger. Because even if someone had offered her a hand with good intentions, right now, Jessica would start wanting to tear it off... And she understood how unreasonable that would be. Until she could overcome the flames of her anger, she definitely wouldn't ask for help. Probably, Jessica no longer had the willpower to call for help.

But Kanon heard it. He definitely heard it. Kanon definitely heard that voiceless call for help, which is shared by those from across the world who are grieving, and which cannot be heard by anyone even though they scream and scream.

...Even though Jessica kept coughing painfully, she accepted it, opened the lock to her room, and entered...

"...*cough*cough*cough*...! ...*co-, ...*cough*cough*cough*...!!"

Jessica had often said that when her asthma got serious enough, it hurt so bad that it felt like she would vomit her whole stomach. Her face was pale, and her gaze wavered. And yet, the coughing continued... Even so, her sadness was probably even stronger...

After having her kneel by the bed, Kanon took a bronchodilator from a cute basket on a side table by the bed, and handed it to her. Jessica sometimes forgot to walk around with her medicine. When it seemed that this was the case, Kanon would take notice and secretly carry around the inhaler from the first-aid kit in the servants' room, but he hadn't done so today. He scolded himself, as though wondering how he could call himself furniture after failing to bring it with him on a day like this.

Then he remembered the day when he had said that, and somehow betrayed Jessica's feelings, which jarred Kanon's heart... but he thought that compared to Jessica's sadness now, that would be a very indiscreet emotion, and he suppressed it to the depths of his heart...

"...Haah, ...haah...haah..."

When she inhaled her medicine, Jessica's wild breathing calmed down bit by bit, and she was finally able to regain her composure. But the strength and willpower she had lost wouldn't allow her to rise up from the bed.

"...Are you alright? Milady."
"...I'm... alright... I'm all messed up over Mom and Dad, but... after I cry a little longer, I'll be alright..."
"..."

Kanon regretted misspeaking. He had said "Are you alright", to her? Was he really unable to notice the pain in her heart? Therefore, he was furniture after all. Therefore he couldn't become human...

BGM: Moon

Kanon understood that she still needed some time to cry alone. He told her to call him at any time, bowed, and tried to leave the room.

"...ah..."
"...Is there something?"

Jessica had spoken as though she wanted him to stop, so Kanon had stopped. If she asks it, I'll do anything to help her.

If it could heal the pain in her heart, right now, I would even become a cane or a chair. If by doing that, I can repair the pain in her heart I gave her that day...

"..."

...For a while, Jessica stared into Kanon's eyes. As though she couldn't put into words her reason for stopping him.

"..."
"..."

For a while, neither spoke. Jessica broke that silence. With a small voice.

"...I'm sorry. ...It's nothing. ...Could you tell Aunt Rosa that I want to be alone for a while...?"

"...Huh..."
"I won't... let you be alone. So, I will be in the corridor. At any time... call me."

For just an instant, it looked like some kind of hope flew to Jessica's eyes. But it was very faint, and disappeared like the first snow does on the surface of a river.

"...Thanks. For just a while, let me cry alone..."
"...Yes. Excuse me."

Kanon bowed once again, and closed the door...

...Why? He didn't know. Surely, that was because... he was furniture. So even now, he couldn't grasp human sadness.

"...In the end... am I nothing more than furniture after all...?"

It was still pouring outside, a dark, gray world. Even on days like this, Shannon would surely see the ocean and know it was blue.

...But to my eyes, even if it cleared up, I would only see gray... As long as I cannot understand the blue of the ocean, I am nothing but furniture imitating a person...

BGM: Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor

"Y, ...you..."

There shouldn't have been a trace of anyone in this corridor. It had been empty and cold. But those scoffing words approached Kanon from behind.

"There are three ways to hurt a woman. Let me teach them, just for you. One is to hurt them with a knife. Another is to hurt them in their heart. And the last one is the most difficult, and the most effective way of hurting them. And yet it can hurt them without you even realizing it. Do you know what it is...?"
"H... how could I know, I don't even want to know!!"
"It's to betray their hopes. No living being is more of a dreamer than a woman! They see their own dreams, and hurt themselves. A distant man like you hurts women the most! You couldn't understand. You don't have a clue how much you have injured Jessica."
"...Because you're furniture! *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"
"I, I have no intention of going along with your nonsense! Did you appear only to sneer at me?!!"
"Don't be so full of yourself, furniture. You aren't worth sneering at! *cackle*cackle*! Still, even though you may not be worth it alone, if the two of you are gathered, that's more than enough. I never get tired of the pleasure that comes from laughing at the fate of a young couple."
"What did you say... Y... You aren't thinking... not Milady..."

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

On the one hand, nothing magical going on here. Beatrice probably has the VIP room key, so there's no contradiction with her locking the door, then hiding in an adjacent room until Gohda leaves. I wonder what she would have done had he hung about, though.

On the other hand what the gently caress is wrong with her face?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

vector_to posted:

On the one hand, nothing magical going on here. Beatrice probably has the VIP room key, so there's no contradiction with her locking the door, then hiding in an adjacent room until Gohda leaves. I wonder what she would have done had he hung about, though.

It's not magic, it's AnimeTM. :v:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

vector_to posted:

Anime Troll Faces exist. They exist!

Uu-

oath2order fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 4, 2016

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

Anime Troll Faces exist. They exist!

Uu-

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I was gonna make a "gee I wonder who will die next?" joke, but Beatrice came out to point it out to everyone. Well done. :golfclap:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Late update: The TIPS section has been updated. The first two EP2 TIPS are the same as their EP1 equivalents.

Also, I've acquired a nicer translation to work off of - still not the same one as the videos are using, but the text from the Steam release. Expect a higher quality of translation starting in the next Tea Party.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, actual statement of intent, or lure to get Kanon to put his sister in Room 101? Really I could go either way.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

"*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! That's why you hurt Jessica. That's why you cannot become human!!"
"Then there should be no problem, if you won't admit that you have feelings for Jessica, I can accept that. But I'll kill Jessica!!"
"Why?!"
"You idiot!! Isn't it obvious?!!

"Following the rules of the ceremony, I will make 13 people into sacrifices on a whim. However, there's no rule saying that I can't kill any more."
"...If I think it's fun, I can kill any number of people!! So I will kill!! Make me laugh as hard as I can, alright furnituuuuuuure, Kanonnnnnnnn?!?!"

BGM: Life's End

In the instant he looked down the corridor, the witch, who had been making a perfectly ordinary face until a second ago, had disappeared. Right now, it was just him, standing alone in the corridor. And the person he wanted to protect was asking for help, and was right over there.

It was obvious what he should do. It wasn't logical. It was an electric reaction. Without a trace of hesitation or idle thoughts. The person he wanted to protect was there, and asking for help. Therefore, in that moment, he genuinely felt that he wanted to be the person who was there with her.

:siren:Video: Strike at the Moon:siren:

The room was a fantastical world, where a blizzard of gold-colored specks danced, almost as though gold leaf had been scattered inside a snow globe...

No, that's not it. I've seen this spectacle before. This isn't gold leaf. Countless gold butterflies, Beatrice's family!! Jessica was surrounded by countless butterflies, and was waving her hands around, trying frantically to swat them.

"K, Kanon-kun..., h, help... ...*cough*cough*cough*cough*!!"

Kanon rushed towards Jessica, and violently brushed the group of butterflies away. The butterflies, which were both beautiful and filthy, surrounded Jessica's face, trying to crawl in through her mouth and nose. Jessica gagged violently. Almost as though the butterflies were triggering her asthma attack, sneering at her.

But when Kanon ran towards Jessica as she choked, the butterflies stopped attacking her, and this time, they began to elegantly dance a rondo around the two.

"...Kanon-kun... Kanon-kun..."

"...Show yourself, Beatrice! Are you satisfied now?!"

As he guarded Jessica, who was in pain and using her inhaler, Kanon yelled into the empty air. When he did, the empty air definitely laughed back, satisfied. Then, she showed herself.

It wasn't in response to Kanon's demand. It was obviously because appearing and sneering humiliated them even more, and was more fun!

"No, since the two of you are together, should I call it duck with green onions? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!"
"Y, ...you... B, Beatrice...!!"
"Please, stand back. I'll protect you, Milady...!"
"It's essential that when the princess and the knight are together, the witch appears. Come now, won't you show me how much power Kinzo's furniture holds?"

She snapped her fingers and there was a piercing sound. When she did, a blizzard of gold butterflies started up, and they began to form a small mountain as they whirled around in a circle.

...Just like how a cold, wintry wind swirls and creates a mountain of leaves.

"W... what is this...? What's going on...?!"

Jessica couldn't comprehend what she was seeing right now, and her mouth kept flapping open and closed... It was the bite of wisdom, which came from trying to understand something incomprehensible.

It appeared to be wearing a uniform following the pattern of those who serve. But its face was different. It was, strange-looking... It was covered with pitch-black hair, breathed rotten breath, and its eyes were filled with the same strange subterranean glow as lava. And, as a symbol that is was not human, it had two horns... It was the figure of a goat-faced attendant who served the witch...

"...!!!"

Jessica could no longer decide what to say. All this happening in front of her couldn't be explained with common sense, and she couldn't do anything except open and close her mouth.

Jessica hadn't noticed. This island had already been cut off from the rules of this world. But even so, she could understand. This goat attendant was the witch's familiar, and it was after her life. And it seemed that the witch had already ordered that.

She faced Kanon with an expectant gaze. She faced him with a provocative gaze filled with expectation, as though asking him how he planned to protect this maiden!

And you could tell that it was overflowing with the joy of furniture wanting to meet its master's expectations.

"...Why don't you show me? Show me the power of Kinzo's furniture! Don't mess up this time, alright? Don't forget that you're furniture, alright? If you continue acting like a human even now, this won't be settled by your death alone. Kukikikikikikikikikikikikiki!"

The goat attendant made a gesture as though bowing silently. Was that in response to its master, or was it offered to Kanon, who opposed it?

Then, on the attendant's hand, ...a blade of wicked malice appeared...

"...Wh, what is... that..."

Jessica had been unable to understand what was happening before her eyes for a while now. All she understood was that this thing was being waved around to threaten her own life. And right now, that was enough.

Kanon spoke quietly to Jessica, who was hiding behind his back.

"...Milady. Please stay back, against the wall. Never let your back leave the wall."
"Wha...?!"
"...*cackle*cackle*cackle*! The maiden should obediently hide behind the great knight's back. Enjoy having a man protect your own life to the fullest. So! Kanon, try showing me your blade!!"

BGM: Where

"...Beautiful. At least when it comes to giving birth to furniture, Kinzo might reach up to my feet."
"...Something like this... can't even be used to trim the roses."
"...K, Kanon-kun... what is, ..."
"...I didn't want... to show you."
"So, you've taken it out. How does it feel to have the fact that you are a subhuman being exposed in front of the girl you have feelings for?"
"...Be silent."
"...Hmph. So you act composed even though you're really burning with wrath? I see, they say that truly hot flames burn a cool blue. Is that how you are now?"
"There's no way I can kill you with my powers... You are the moon. There's no way I can smash the moon by throwing a rock. However, in order to manifest yourself, you had to reflect your image on the surface of the water."

If you throw a rock at the surface of the water, you might be able to disturb the moon for some time. But that doesn't mean the moon has been smashed.

"...Hoh. A beautiful trail."

The witch's words of admiration broke the silence, and for just an instant, broke Jessica's paralysis.

"...A... am I... dreaming...?"
"...Come, furniture of the witch. I'll beat you down to the hell you came from."
"..."

"*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*. Is it alright to mutter excuses for how your senses don't return?"
"..."

"...It's alright. I... won't die yet."

...Kanon, wasn't there.

He was behind it.

If this battle of drawing sparkling trails was chess... Then Kanon coming from behind was check. And press, and press, and press, and press. Use seven moves, and make it mate...!

...Had the goat attendant even been given the ability to go into death throes? As its knees buckled and it fell over, it broke into a bunch of gold butterflies with a pop... So there was no sound of it hitting the ground. Even the person who couldn't understand this battle... definitely at least realized that Kanon had been magnificent.

"...Hmph. So it couldn't win against one handmade object. It seems that you aren't so pathetic."

In the instant that Kanon's blade sliced diagonally through the witch's form like a knife through butter, she turned gold and burst. She scattered into several thousand gold butterflies, and for just an instant, the room was filled with the color of twilight.

...It was just as Kanon himself had said. Even slicing Beatrice was just the same as slicing the surface of the water where the moon was reflected. The witch's form was there, with an ordinary expression on her face, as though she had been there the whole time... behind Kanon.

"Hahahahahahaha...!! It was quite an interesting show. I was going to overlook that, and let you get away, but now your rudeness has caused me to change my mind..."
"Don't lie! I won't let you kill Milady!! Even if that's impossible... I won't let you kill her before me!"
"You can't even do that much. Do not speak, furniture. Be silent, furniture. Know your place, furniture!!"

"...Hoh. Why can you say that?"
"I don't need a reason. Kanon-kun is Kanon-kun. No, his real name is different... but a name doesn't make him furniture! Kanon-kun has his own way of living. That's a very noble thing, and it's up to him to decide."
"...There's no such thing as not being able to have an opinion because he's furniture, or not being able to have his own life because he's furniture!!"
"Milady... you mustn't provoke her."
"No, let me say this clearly. Kanon-kun isn't furniture. He's human. Why? Kanon-kun rushed to save me of his own will. And he stood in the path of a fearsome witch, you. Even though he had many chances to just let me go, he didn't."

"...Mila... dy..."
"Hmph. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*. ...Kuhahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Wahahahahahahahaha!!"
"Don't speak, human!! Let's end this quickly, after all, this is only the second twilight. Now, I will offer up as sacrifices 'the two who are close', who accept each other's dignity."

BGM: Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor

The witch summoned her own furniture with a mixture of laughter and anger on her face.

"...Asmodeus the Lustful. Right here."
"I've had enough of this farce. Quickly, execute the second twilight. Don't keep me waiting, alright?"
"...As you command."
"A... another weirdo's shown up..."
"...kh..."

It took Kanon less than an instant to understand. That goat-face from a second ago had been nothing more than a pawn to the witch. However, there was a remarkable difference in the value of this piece, of this furniture that had been newly summoned.

"...Come, furniture of the witch... I won't be killed by you...!"
"*giggle*giggle*! You're acting pretty smart for a dunce who can't even chase me."
"...Here I go, alright? Hey hey, where do you want it? Where do you want me to pierce you? Answer me, cutie boy. Wherever you want it, I'll run you through hard...!! *giggle*giggle*giggle*giggle*, come on, answer me, cutie boy...!"
"D... don't call me cute!!!"
"Kyahahahahaha!! Here I go, you dunce!! Come on, try to chase me, you blind idiot!! Kya-hahahahahahahahahaha!!"

SFX

"...M... Milady..."

Kanon's back had been the target... But Jessica had predicted it. She had predicted that the witch's target would be the complete opposite of fair and honest... his back. But she had no way to block it.

...She had no intention of sacrificing herself. She thought that there was no way other than this to protect Kanon's back. So, she could do nothing but block it with her own back.

The furniture of the witch, which had changed its form into a demon's stake, was stuck deep into Jessica's back. It was an obviously fatal wound that reached as far as her lungs.

When she saw this, the witch let out a loud, evil laugh. Because it had hit 'where the witch had predicted'. ...Everything, everything, was as the witch had predicted!

"Kukikikikiki, yes, yes, that's it, that's it, that face, that look on your face is what I wanted to see!! Kikikikikikikikikikikikikikiki!! How truly enjoyable!! That's enough, die, die, make me laugh!!"
"Come, arise, forgive the sin, one of the seven stakes of Purgatory, wrath!!"

"...Satan of Wrath. Right here."
"The prey is yours. Eat him right now, close the curtain on his stage."
"...If you were a human, I'd say it's time for you to step down, but since you're furniture, maybe I should say it's time for the stage manager to carry you behind the stage!"
"...I am not... furniture anymore. I won't... doubt that again!"

"Your chest... it's so warm, and it feels so good to pierce it, okay...? Come on, let me have another taste, alright...? Won't you make me feel really good with that hot, hot, fresh blood in that warm chest of yours...?"
"...Kyahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!"

SFX

There was no way to block it. The sound of a woodpecker filled the entire room, and before he could blink, it was already right in the center of his chest...

When you take a piece in chess, according to the rules, it's impossible for your opponent's piece to defend. So this was an obvious result, following the rules.

Kanon landed on his knees... And, he apologized. Not to the witch. And not to 'Milady'... He apologized, to Jessica.

"...Don't worry about it... You were really... cool..."

Kanon finally fell over. He landed next to Jessica, and the two lay there like the constellation Gemini.

"...You know, Kanon-kun, ...you aren't, furniture anymore..."
"...Yes... I was... too late... in realizing that..."
"I wanted to ask you... what your real name was..."

In his last moments, Kanon wanted to tell her his real name. But, Jessica had already fallen into a sleep from which she would never wake... So, Kanon's real name, which he had protected until today... in the end, he couldn't... tell it to Jessica...

Those were, ...the last words Kanon left behind.

"Even after a hundred years, furniture is furniture! Have you ever heard of an idiot who'll dig a grave for furniture when they throw it away? You smash furniture to pieces and make firewood, so all that's left is ashes!!"
"*cackle*cackle*cackle, that's how it is, no tombstone can be carved for furniture! It seems you believe that when you die, you cannot receive any more humiliation, but that's naive, you see...? I'll tell you what it really means to disgrace the dead. *cackle*cackle*cackle*!!!"

After taking a puff from her pipe, the witch breathed the smoke at Kanon's corpse...

The witch played dirty until the very end. The corpses of the two who had been able to understand each other in the end, were not even permitted to be close to each other... If someone had been watching, they would probably mourn that this was indeed a disgrace to the dead.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well. :catstare:

Try to explain how things got violently anime at the drop of a hat without using magic, Ushiromiya Battler.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

beatrice 'exists' motherfuckers :witch:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Wh... WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

Oh, come the gently caress on, this reads like badly crafted fan-fiction. "And then I tottaly summoned a demon fromhell, with a goat head! And then Kanon had the laser sword battle with it Pew Pew, and then I guess he won, but then I summoned ANOTHER demon (because I'm, like, totally awesome) and then..." Do you expect me to buy any of this crap- I mean, anime girls what turn into stakes the ricochet a bajillion times around the room, what the gently caress? You want an explanation for this, here's your explanation: Beatrice loving binge-read loving Fate/Stay Night one day, and is now regaling Battler over their chessboard in Purgatory with the bits got upvoted on FF.net, that's what!

loving laser swords? gently caress off...

vvv: NO!!

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 5, 2016

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
Well, I think we can all accept that Beatrice is a Witch and magic is real now, right? What do you think, everyone?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Obviously since there was no witnesses, purgatory witch is making up crap to mess with Batteler.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Without love, it cannot be seen.

"It" being a muscular butler with the head of a goat, evidently

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Obviously since there was no witnesses, purgatory witch is making up crap to mess with Battler.

This. As batshit as what went down is, it doesn't prove anything, as we've got no witnesses. Now, if Beatrice does that later in front of Battler I'll change my tune. Until then, I'm just gonna tune out all the crazy magic poo poo that's going on.

Well, most of it. One line in particular stood out to me this time. The witch's furniture said she was going to kill Kanon "again". I guess this means that the furniture is the personification of the stake that killed him in the first game? If that's the case, it raises a curious point, that some characters on the gameboard can remember other ones. I wonder if this is going to be addressed in a purgatory scene later. Something else of interest, although not a line, is that Beatrice had a wardrobe change again. When she confronts Kanon in the hallway, she's business casual, and in Jessica's room, she's hyper-formal. Makes me wonder if Beatrice might actually be two people working together this time round.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

vector_to posted:

Well, most of it. One line in particular stood out to me this time. The witch's furniture said she was going to kill Kanon "again". I guess this means that the furniture is the personification of the stake that killed him in the first game? If that's the case, it raises a curious point, that some characters on the gameboard can remember other ones. I wonder if this is going to be addressed in a purgatory scene later. Something else of interest, although not a line, is that Beatrice had a wardrobe change again. When she confronts Kanon in the hallway, she's business casual, and in Jessica's room, she's hyper-formal. Makes me wonder if Beatrice might actually be two people working together this time round.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Another thing I noticed, and which makes me suspect hinkiness: Kanon produced a magic sword from his arm this go round, while last time around, he used an ax. Why would he do that, if he can just sprout magic swords and whatnot at his whim? He seems to care a lot about Shannon, so if the swords are other things that "cannot be seen" without love, I don't see why he wouldn't bust that out if it were an option.

Something else I noticed in all of the brouhaha: the way Beatrice talked about furniture is almost the way one would talk about a familiar. Kinzo made the servants wear his crest... could he be so dedicated to the art that he actually tried to name them his familiars, and possibly try to do things like see things out of them and such?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

resurgam40 posted:

Something else I noticed in all of the brouhaha: the way Beatrice talked about furniture is almost the way one would talk about a familiar. Kinzo made the servants wear his crest... could he be so dedicated to the art that he actually tried to name them his familiars, and possibly try to do things like see things out of them and such?

Honestly that was the thought that came to mind when Beatrice first used Furniture, it didn't feel like she was using it just to mock Shannon and Kanon, but rather she's using it like a technical term that's part of her "Profession" - that 'familiar' is the layman's term for what Furniture is. Given Kinzo's obsession, I would not be shocked if he actually did try to create familiars for his own ends.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

resurgam40 posted:

(In magic, a lot of attention is brought to the person of the magician , "nothing up my sleeves" and such, and their immediate prop, but not enough paid to the whole environment of the performance, such as the stage, audience plants, etc. If Beatrice really wants to impress me, she should show me something I couldn't see the like of at a Kriss Angel show.)

Soooooooo resurgammmm has the witch met your expectations? You said you wanted to see something that couldn't be explained as a simple magic trick yesssss? How long do you intend to deny the plain evidence in frontt of your face.

Ahaha.wav

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

resurgam40 posted:

so if the swords are other things that "cannot be seen" without love,

Without love, it cannot have lightsabers.

Mister Olympus posted:

Without love, it cannot be seen.

"It" being a muscular butler with the head of a goat, evidently

Gotta say, the body type is different than anyone we've seen in the setting so far; it's definitely something that Exists or Does Not Exist alongside witches, since there's no real way for it to be someone else in a disguise.

Also of course the stakes anthropomorphize into schoolgirls. :japan:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Also of course the stakes anthropomorphize into schoolgirls. :japan:

The stakes are hard working young ladies, don't bully.

Also it's not normally visible in her sprites but Bern's a catgirl, jokes on you fuckers, it's been anime THE WHOLE TIME.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

KataraniSword posted:

Without love, it cannot have lightsabers.

The fight video should have a flashing banner on top where it says *THIS IS WHAT KINZO ACTUALLY BELIEVES*.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

The fight video should have a flashing banner on top where it says *THIS IS WHAT KINZO ACTUALLY BELIEVES*.

Agreed, I now can't help but believe what Beatrice is trying to make Battler believe is that Eva and Hideyoshi were totally killed the same way and it makes sense and is not really loving dumb.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
YAMI WO KIRISAKU OH DESIRE

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield, all those to oppose his shield must yield. If he's warped to a fight and sees a meanie in view, then the pink and the white and the maroon'll come through. When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield!

Viola the Mad posted:

:allears: Now that's the witch I know and love. I've been looking forward to Beatrice faces throughout this LP.

I think this better represents the witch we all love. :swoon:

ProfessorProf posted:

"Kukikikikiki, yes, yes, that's it, that's it, that face, that look on your face is what I wanted to see!! Kikikikikikikikikikikikikikiki!! How truly enjoyable!! That's enough, die, die, make me laugh!!"

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I like the witch less and less as time goes on. She is a rude girl and keeps killing dudes while being an rear end in a top hat about it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't hate someone who's so dedicated to saving us from anime romance.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

Wh... WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

Oh, come the gently caress on, this reads like badly crafted fan-fiction. "And then I tottaly summoned a demon fromhell, with a goat head! And then Kanon had the laser sword battle with it Pew Pew, and then I guess he won, but then I summoned ANOTHER demon (because I'm, like, totally awesome) and then..." Do you expect me to buy any of this crap- I mean, anime girls what turn into stakes the ricochet a bajillion times around the room, what the gently caress? You want an explanation for this, here's your explanation: Beatrice loving binge-read loving Fate/Stay Night one day, and is now regaling Battler over their chessboard in Purgatory with the bits got upvoted on FF.net, that's what!

loving laser swords? gently caress off...

vvv: NO!!

Episode 1 was Maria writing what really happened.

Episode 2 is Maria thinking "no, that's boring, it had way too few witches! I'm going to fix it, ihihihihihi! And Beatrice will have 7 friends and they'll be girls and magic stakes! And a pet goat with a psiblade!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I remember Kinzo saying something about not loving up this time around, and now with Vocoloid Satan was talking about having murdered Kanon earlier. It made me realize that Kinzo somehow remembers his last timeline despite having "no talent"???
Was his last "attempt" the last timeline of dying offscreen the Umineko equivalent of running face first into the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros. after claiming to be an expert?

• Locked thread