Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

ThinkTank posted:

e: Sin Bin is the weirdest loving blog

Then follows a full, horribly written fan fiction about the fact that Vegas doesn't have a team name yet.

:psyduck:

http://sinbin.vegas/the-case-of-the-missing-name/

:stare: ....ooohhhhhkaaaaay I'm gonna need you to dial it down just a little bit, Lessail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
what the christ is wrong with this guy?

I feel like it should be endearing that someone can be so jazzed about a hockey team but everything he does just makes me progressively angrier

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Introducing your starting lineup for your 20XX Las Vegas Blank Knights!

Starting at Center, your Captain, Phil Tomguy:

Left Wing, Jeff Youngone:

Right Wing, Vern Buttram:

Your Left and Right Defensemen, Kurt Thomas and Clint Rolley:

And, starting in net, Ilya Bryzgalov!

Your 20XX Las Vegas Blank Knights are Coached by Fred Whiteman.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

e: Sin Bin is the weirdest loving blog

Then follows a full, horribly written fan fiction about the fact that Vegas doesn't have a team name yet.

:psyduck:

http://sinbin.vegas/the-case-of-the-missing-name/

What the hell

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Capfriendly has a new expansion draft / protection tool since General Fanager's got poofed. https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

After looking at that I'm pretty sure Nashville gave Anthony Bitetto a 2-year deal purely to satisfy the exposure requirements (one D under contract in 17-18 with 40 GP in 2016-17 or 70gp in 2015-2017).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

After looking at that I'm pretty sure Nashville gave Anthony Bitetto a 2-year deal purely to satisfy the exposure requirements (one D under contract in 17-18 with 40 GP in 2016-17 or 70gp in 2015-2017).

The Canucks signed Richard Bachman to a one year extension in the summer entirely for that reason.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

If Quebec got the loving team we'd have been already calling them the Nordiques for the last 5 months. (I mean sure that's a given for them but seriously LV get your poo poo together)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vegas are getting a free agency exclusivity window where they can sign any pending free agents left unprotected in the 48 hours leading up the the expansion draft. That includes RFAs.

quote:

the Vegas organization will have a 48-hour window ahead of the expansion draft in June to speak with and sign any pending unrestricted or restricted free agents that the 30 teams left unprotected for the expansion draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/lebrun-vegas-to-get-head-start-on-free-agency-1.594178

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I suppose that makes sense. If they were going to draft a free agent, it'd be a more pleasant ordeal to both to negotiate the contract first rather than just drafting them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So all jokes about their owner being dumber than a sack of circus peanuts aside, what's the expectation for this team in term of being able to become a playoff squad, timewise? They have advantages not afforded to other expansion squads, and I could certainly see players wanting to play in Vegas, in terms of free agents in general (unless Foley turns out to be James Dolan-like in his ability to alienate athletes).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I clicked through and it's a little less exciting since any signed player counts as vegas' pick for that team. RFAs still get a little leverage over their current club though, which maybe is trouba's strategy all along.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So all jokes about their owner being dumber than a sack of circus peanuts aside, what's the expectation for this team in term of being able to become a playoff squad, timewise? They have advantages not afforded to other expansion squads, and I could certainly see players wanting to play in Vegas, in terms of free agents in general (unless Foley turns out to be James Dolan-like in his ability to alienate athletes).

I think there are too many variables to really know for sure. Vastly depends on how competent their GM and coaching staff are I think. There are teams that have more talent and more advantages over an expansion team that still can't make the playoffs afters years because of iffy management and coaching.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

i feel like 5-10 years isn't unrealistic. maybe they make a first round exit earlier.

having an attractive free agent destination is nice but the pipeline for young talent is the draft and they are just priming that pump, and the nhl gave them decent odds for the upcoming draft but i'd say short of actually winning it (at 10% odds which aren't great), any player they end up with isn't making an immediate impact.

even the bad teams like arizona have top end established guys like ekman-larsson that vegas won't have access to because they can be protected, and prospects like strome that have been in the minors and are automatically protected.

an addendum, someone like drouin or whomever from anaheim might slip through but they are still something like the 9th best player on the team they are coming from.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

can they negotiate for a better creepy stalker fan blog or

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

It's impressive that in such a short time Vegas had managed to outdo Philly for dumbest team reporting.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Infidel Castro posted:

It's impressive that in such a short time Vegas had managed to outdo Philly for dumbest team reporting.

The dangers of a dude wanting the "acclaim" of being first

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah you can't really vet someone who just anointed himself as official unofficial team blogger / fanfic writer when the team doesn't even have an official name/company/identity/media presence/official fanfic writer.

Speaking of which, I'm now the unofficial official team blogger and reporter and executive producer for the as-yet announced or awarded Seattle NHL team I'm gonna screencap you all :colbert:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Lessail posted:

The dangers of a dude wanting the "acclaim" of being first

I wonder if he's a thorn in the management's side.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Hockles posted:

I wonder if he's a thorn in the management's side.

He's trying to put his thorn in management's side, for sure.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

Introducing your starting lineup for your 20XX Las Vegas Blank Knights!

Starting at Center, your Captain, Phil Tomguy:

With DJ Rashad goal song

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So the canucks protected list for sure includes the Sedins and Eriksson.

Exempt players currently on the big club's roster:

Rodin, Virtanen (too bad), Gaunce, Tryampkin, Hutton

So who will the canucks protect or expose? I'd guess they go for the 7 forwards/3 d option, which leaves them with 4 slots at forward after the NMC protected players. I could see them protecting Hansen, Horvat, Baerschi, and Sutter with that - and I guess exposing Skille and Dorsett. On D poo poo gets interesting though. Edler and Tanev are protected, no question there, so do they protect Gudbranson or Sbisa? Seems pretty likely they'll expose Biega for the D requirement though. Unless there are better D available from other teams that's where I see this new franchise making their pick from the canucks, as the forward group available are a trash fire. Please please please don't protect Sbisa! Please take Sbisa LV!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JawKnee posted:

Please please please don't protect Sbisa! Please take Sbisa LV!

Not directed at you in particular, but I love that every fan, myself included, is hoping that Las Vegas just willingly takes their garbage players just because they're exposed

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

JawKnee posted:

So the canucks protected list for sure includes the Sedins and Eriksson.

Exempt players currently on the big club's roster:

Rodin, Virtanen (too bad), Gaunce, Tryampkin, Hutton

So who will the canucks protect or expose? I'd guess they go for the 7 forwards/3 d option, which leaves them with 4 slots at forward after the NMC protected players. I could see them protecting Hansen, Horvat, Baerschi, and Sutter with that - and I guess exposing Skille and Dorsett. On D poo poo gets interesting though. Edler and Tanev are protected, no question there, so do they protect Gudbranson or Sbisa? Seems pretty likely they'll expose Biega for the D requirement though. Unless there are better D available from other teams that's where I see this new franchise making their pick from the canucks, as the forward group available are a trash fire. Please please please don't protect Sbisa! Please take Sbisa LV!

I feel like there's no way Gudbranson doesn't get protected, considering how much they just invested in him. Trading a prospect like McCann just to immediately lose Gudbranson for absolutely nothing would look bad, and as we know, the Canucks front office cares more about good PR than they do sound business decisions.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not directed at you in particular, but I love that every fan, myself included, is hoping that Las Vegas just willingly takes their garbage players just because they're exposed

they don't have much of a choice with the Canucks to be brutally honest - the team is about 90% garbage

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JawKnee posted:

they don't have much of a choice with the Canucks to be brutally honest - the team is about 90% garbage

Yeah. I'm hoping Vegas takes McQuaid or Hayes off of Boston's hand but I'm pretty sure they're going to take Subban or Colin Miller.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Jets will probably lose Armia or Dano unless they trade Trouba for pieces that are automatically protected.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Habs will lose one of Hudon, Andrighetto or Beaulieu when they opt to protect Emelin, Desharnais, and Shaw instead.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

HFBoards caps fans are adamant that Orpik will be taken due to his strong leadership, intangibles, and because Vegas is going to need to meet the cap floor.

In reality it is likely to be either Orlov (most likely right now IMO), Schmidt, Beagle, Wilson, or Johansson. The Capitals actually have enough defensive depth that protecting 4 D might make sense for them if Orlov or Schmidt do really well this season, but I bet they will still go with the 7 F + 3 D option.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I could see the Capitals sweetening the pot with a few draft picks to get Opik gone, Schmidt seems a likely exposure to me, Beagle for sure (and GMGM loves him some Beagle) and it wouldn't surprise me to see Grubauer either. Grubauer was a GMGM pick, he's cheap, and he's shown he can be effective at the NHL level. I'm pretty sure Johansson is going get protected. I don't know what they will do with Wilson, the head office is much more enamored with him than I think his play or potential merit. I really hope they find a way to keep Orlov, though after how his contract situation went who knows.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It's going to be interesting once the expansion draft rules are finalized, to see how teams make moves. As soon as we find out who must be protected, we'll start to see some shuffling of goalies and defensemen.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Gunjin posted:

I could see the Capitals sweetening the pot with a few draft picks to get Opik gone, Schmidt seems a likely exposure to me, Beagle for sure (and GMGM loves him some Beagle) and it wouldn't surprise me to see Grubauer either. Grubauer was a GMGM pick, he's cheap, and he's shown he can be effective at the NHL level. I'm pretty sure Johansson is going get protected. I don't know what they will do with Wilson, the head office is much more enamored with him than I think his play or potential merit. I really hope they find a way to keep Orlov, though after how his contract situation went who knows.

I mean, they have to expose Gruby and he seems like the most likely to be picked up due to his high backup talent level, most people view him as being able to be a starter, and cheap contract. At least as a backup to some veteran another team exposes that could possibly become their starter. Other than that, I could see the exposed 4th d-man of Orlov or Alzner getting picked up. Not to sure Vegas would bother with even trying to pick a forward from us.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dale Ouise posted:

Habs will lose one of Hudon, Andrighetto or Beaulieu when they opt to protect Emelin, Desharnais, and Shaw instead.

I think the Habs will protect Emelin, Beaulieu and Shaw.
Bergevin tried to trade Desharnais and couldn't find a partner, so I don't think they're that eager to protect the tiny man.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Vegas will have 30 players from the expansion draft alone, another 7 from the 2017 draft plus any UFAs they pick up, it really doesn't matter who they take from the likes of the Canucks and CBJ, I doubt very much they'll make the 23-man roster out of camp.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

incredible bear posted:

Vegas will have 30 players from the expansion draft alone, another 7 from the 2017 draft plus any UFAs they pick up, it really doesn't matter who they take from the likes of the Canucks and CBJ, I doubt very much they'll make the 23-man roster out of camp.

Plus they may try to fish somebody out of Europe. I haven't read any plans that suggest that, but if you're an expansion team it could be a good way to make your team slightly less sucky if the guy works out.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

take me you ANIMAL posted:

I mean, they have to expose Gruby and he seems like the most likely to be picked up due to his high backup talent level, most people view him as being able to be a starter, and cheap contract. At least as a backup to some veteran another team exposes that could possibly become their starter. Other than that, I could see the exposed 4th d-man of Orlov or Alzner getting picked up. Not to sure Vegas would bother with even trying to pick a forward from us.

Grubauer might get taken because Vegas' GM used to be the GM of the Caps so he's familiar with him, but I think they'll get their two goalies elsewhere. Guys like MAF, Halak, Mason or Neuvirth, maybe Bishop, might be unprotected, and I think they might go for a young, highly regarded prospect with their other pick. I think they're taking Subban from Boston, personally.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
With the money and term Florida has on Luongo and Reimer, I think its a safe bet Reimer (or Luongo????) is Vegas' starting goalie. People like MAF and Bishop are UFAs and I would be shocked if they weren't moved before the deadline.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Grubauer might get taken because Vegas' GM used to be the GM of the Caps so he's familiar with him, but I think they'll get their two goalies elsewhere. Guys like MAF, Halak, Mason or Neuvirth, maybe Bishop, might be unprotected, and I think they might go for a young, highly regarded prospect with their other pick. I think they're taking Subban from Boston, personally.

What precludes LV from taking Halak/MAF/Mason/Neuvirth as a starter or 1A to Grubbauer's 1B and then taking Subban and continuing to stash him in the minors for as long as possible?

I guess Subban isn't signing a two-way deal coming out of his EL, but I don't think it's impossible they take 3 goalies

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 5, 2016

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
That's true, I think they're required to select 14 forwards, 9 defense, and 3 goalies actually.

Does Vegas have an AHL team yet?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Even money says they're going to end up sharing affiliates

They can probably just have Utica, not like the Canucks are using it :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Like the others have said, I think he's a solid second pick, after a veteran to get them through the first couple years and a prospect to take a chance on. I could also really see them taking one of the D we have as there will not be very much exposed for the draft and we have to protect seven/three if we plan on keeping our chances alive.

• Locked thread