Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chalks posted:

that's loving retarded.

pretty much true of all things cig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

also the spergy "I'm an auditor" guy is doing the same exact poo poo, DS' (relatively) quippy off the cuff overviews of all the intangibles involved in the SC scam wont make a great target for your journal auditing skills, a field with outputs designed to be audited in that manner

all the giant red flags in the SC scam have to do with evaluating human behavior, expressions of trust and payoff, human interactions between CIG and its fans, or Roberts and his crew, or Sandi's poisonous narcissism, these are all really huge giant red flags for a team of any size or budget but I don't have to look far to see why people like Lazrin and the auditor guy struggle to grasp basic social evaluation

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

pretty much true of all things cig

I thought the whole "refactor" thing was just non-technical people using terminology they don't understand. I love that instead it betrays a fundamental problem with their entire development methodology.

I can just imagine their commit logs

code:
Billy Graduate - 06-11-2016 - R (+623 -5912) - Changed a bunch of stuff
Jimmy Intern - 06-11-2016 - R (+7112 -5322) - Changed things
Bobby Tickler - 06-11-2016 - R (+9912 -2811) - fjsdlkjsd
It sure is a mystery why their codebase is such a shithole.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/795210475571032064

Vote Star Citizen.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

:five: :five: :five:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

At time of writing, BoredGamer is heading for a date with STAR CITIZEN, yay! I bet he's overjoyed to get the chance to play 2.5.

Democracy at its best.

:getin:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
By the way, I and my entire family are all German auditors. It's more common than you think.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Half the people in my hometown grew up to be german auditors.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

I thought the whole "refactor" thing was just non-technical people using terminology they don't understand. I love that instead it betrays a fundamental problem with their entire development methodology.

I can just imagine their commit logs

code:
Billy Graduate - 06-11-2016 - R (+623 -5912) - Changed a bunch of stuff
Jimmy Intern - 06-11-2016 - R (+7112 -5322) - Changed things
Bobby Tickler - 06-11-2016 - R (+9912 -2811) - fjsdlkjsd
It sure is a mystery why their codebase is such a shithole.

Lol you think they have commit logs.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mr Fronts posted:

By the way, I and my entire family are all German auditors. It's more common than you think.

Needy and whiny but uninterested in interaction, jealous and suspicious of all newcomers, dumb and essentially impossible to train or even get housebroken. Smells like poo poo when wet or dry

German Auditor is the very worst breed of dogge

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

At time of writing, BoredGamer is heading for a date with STAR CITIZEN, yay! I bet he's overjoyed to get the chance to play 2.5.

Democracy at its best.

:getin:

I've done my parp

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am a German auditor, too. You wouldn't believe how much German I audit on a typical work day.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

a cyberpunk goose posted:

lol lazrin picking medical software experience as his trump card is amazing, there isn't an industry besides Roberts Industries that is better at wasting millions of dollars on poorly specced features. also medical field software dev is so drastically and remarkably unlike gamedev, it's a perfect example of not understanding how experiences you've had in one area do not necessarily translate to even beginning to understand the demands of another

but hey medical software == computers, MMOFPS games == computers, ergo via the transitive property...

I'm still catching up after a few days, but it's also funny in the sense that anyone who was in the position he describes himself as being would know better than to make posts, but on top of that would know that posting like a 13 year old wrote them (ie, the complete lack of capitalisation, poor grammar, not using double spaces after a full stop, etc) makes them even less credible.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:
what we learned yesterday:

- cig is doing things that can't be done
- cig isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before
- star citizen will not come out because current technology and current humans
- star citizen and squadron 42 will suck when they come out
- if it can be done, cig certainly wouldn't be the ones to do it
- cig is the company furthest along, currently, to doing it

a day of enlightenment for the thread, i think :)

in all seriousness though, i appreciate those who engaged in genuine discourse... it shows there are still fans of the project here. something i knew, but was very hard to extract.

if you think i've been a fanboy ignorant of the problems, you thought wrong. however, i am an enthusiastic backer, will stay a backer and choose to wait while they either figure it out or fail.

edit: i'm not a german auditor but i love sauerbraten

Lazrin fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 6, 2016

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

Rudager posted:

I'm still catching up after a few days, but it's also funny in the sense that anyone who was in the position he describes himself as being would know better than to make posts, but on top of that would know that posting like a 13 year old wrote them (ie, the complete lack of capitalisation, poor grammar, not using double spaces after a full stop, etc) makes them even less credible.

modern ap stylebook (years ago) dictates one space after a period

get with the times

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lazrin posted:

- star citizen cannot be made with current technology and current humans

in all seriousness though, i appreciate those who engaged in genuine discourse... it shows there are still fans of the project here. something i knew, but was very hard to extract.

if you think i've been a fanboy ignorant of the problems, you thought wrong. however, i am an enthusiastic backer, will stay a backer and choose to wait while they either figure it out or fail.

Wowa now, lets not get carried away here.

CIG is doing things that have never been done before. Specifically, taking over $100 million in backer money and wasting it through complete incompetence. Nobody has done this before.

CIG is trying to do things that can't be done, and failing, much like me trying to fly to the moon by flapping my arms.

You could say "hey, he's the furthest along the process of flying to the moon by flapping his arms" and you'd be both correct and a complete moron.

Congrats

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lazrin posted:

Yes, Lazrin, as it turns out people on this forum have different opinions about things. I can understand how that's confusing given that no such thing is allowed in the Realm of Roberts.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

I'm tempted to do this when i get my Seeed ReSpeaker.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Wiz posted:

Yes, Lazrin, as it turns out people on this forum have different opinions about things. I can understand how that's confusing given that no such thing is allowed in the Realm of Roberts.

Your posts are making me want to buy more Paradox games, Wiz, but Lazrin said they were unremarkable and unambitious so I think I'll probably spend $40,000 on Star Citizen instead. At least they're trying!

I'll consider buying Stellaris if you promise to drive at least one person, crying, from your company today.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Lazrin posted:

I'd say more willfully blind to the problems. Your best argument is that they're trying, and it's such a painfully sad argument because it falls apart in the face of a multitude of events, leaks, people quitting, shoddy releases and so on. Trying is all well and good but when you lack any semblance of a plan, or any degree of consistency, or even a mote of competency then quite frankly "trying" with other people's money and having nothing to show for it is just a cherry on top on how much of a clusterfuck this has turned into.

Hell, "They're trying" sounds more like you're trying to defend your own investment in this mess. Is this what it has been for you all this time?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Btw I tried to float slowly from a 16th floor window today and I am now dead but at least I tried! That's more than those deadbeats at Infinity Ward do!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lazrin posted:

- cig is (trying to) do things that can't be done (and failing)
- cig isn't (successfully) doing anything that hasn't been done before
- star citizen will not come out (with the features that have been promised) because current technology and current humans
- star citizen and squadron 42 will suck when they come out (since they will not include the features that have been promised)

You missed some bits, I've put them back in for you.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spermanent Record posted:

Your posts are making me want to buy more Paradox games, Wiz, but Lazrin said they were unremarkable and unambitious so I think I'll probably spend $40,000 on Star Citizen instead. At least they're trying!

I'll consider buying Stellaris if you promise to drive at least one person, crying, from your company today.

Hmm, can I split the difference and just tweet uncomfortable pictures of people who are trying to work and want to be left alone?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Only if there's a reflection of an obese flunkie in the computer monitor.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'd say more willfully blind to the problems. Your best argument is that they're trying, and it's such a painfully sad argument because it falls apart in the face of a multitude of events, leaks, people quitting, shoddy releases and so on. Trying is all well and good but when you lack any semblance of a plan, or any degree of consistency, or even a mote of competency then quite frankly "trying" with other people's money and having nothing to show for it is just a cherry on top on how much of a clusterfuck this has turned into.

Hell, "They're trying" sounds more like you're trying to defend your own investment in this mess. Is this what it has been for you all this time?

money is the least of any concern

i'm not sure how long it takes to make a game like stellaris, but luckily we have wiz here who does.

wiz, if you'd be so kind... what would stellaris be like if fans got to play it when it was 10, maybe 20 percent complete?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Lazrin posted:

i'm not sure how long it takes to make a game like stellaris, but luckily we have wiz here who does.

wiz, if you'd be so kind... what would stellaris be like if fans got to play it when it was 10, maybe 20 percent complete?

So by your own estimation, Star Citizen is another 20-50 years away?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

mdxi posted:

At least a year ago (pre "StarNetwork" days) CIG blamed their initial network performance problems on the fact that they were shoving huge wads of XML over the wire. The "coming soon" solution they proposed at the time, which would enable the huge space battles everyone was waiting for, was "binary XML". Backers accepted this on faith, and spent quite a while talking about how binary XML was going to solve everything.

Oh, no, it's actually worse than that.
The proposed solution of switching to binary XML wasnt supposed to fix the network performance.
It was supposed to reduce load times and patch sizes.

I'll let that sink in.

PS: MongoDB is a hot mess that deserves to be used by CIG.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 6, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Lazrin posted:

Yes, I'm aware of Chris Roberts' economic plan.

But if you think they're on the right track more power to you, I expect when it all goes belly up we won't see you around here any more.

Lazrin posted:

It's kind of a bizarre question cause to me, the PU isn't a measure of how far they've come or what they can do. It's more an exhibit of how they've been screwing up this whole time. The engine choice, animation decisions, netcode difficulties, absolutely terrible ship controls... the list goes on and it kind of highlights that they aren't really doing anything with any sort of coherency to it, just bolting on more stuff and then not really fixing it. I mean I guess they're trying but they're not succeeding because every iteration of what the backers have gotten to handle has been unstable and shallow.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

Spermanent Record posted:

So by your own estimation, Star Citizen is another 20-50 years away?

it seems to be pretty much on schedule based on other, similarly scoped game projects in the industry wether they stay on schedule or nor, remains to be seen.

i mean, what ifs42 comes out, even at the tail end of 2017?

that's maybe 5 years of production, with the overhead of trying to manage and share systems, assets, interfaces and so on, with an mmo in simultaneous development. these are dynamics not present when developing a typical single player game, and even for a mature studio would be a challenge.

that's not too bad, if they do it.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Half the people in my hometown grew up to be german auditors.

My grandma is a german auditor.
She's neither german, nor an auditor, but she overcame these limitations by sheer willpower.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lazrin posted:

Stellaris took about about 2½ years to make not counting the prototyping phase (which was another 6 months or so). And that's with a lot of iteration and re-doing things because we were doing something completely new to us (making a 4x) and had to figure a lot of stuff out along the way. 10-20% complete is kind of difficult to define but if we go by timeline, 6 months in it would've been a skeleton of the full game, very stable, with the majority of the groundwork (map, ship movement, database, etc) done and basic versions of the major features in place and ready to be built on. It obviously wouldn't have been very fun to play, but that's why you shouldn't ever release games at that stage to the public.

Star Citizen, OTOH, hasn't even started laying the groundwork for the vast majority of its features and many of the things they currently have in place are going to be have to be thrown out and re-done from the ground up unless they abandon all plans of being an MMO. Calling it 10-20% done is honestly generous.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 6, 2016

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Lazrin posted:

Hi Lethality! :wave:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lazrin posted:

it seems to be pretty much on schedule

For a 2036-2066 release?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fun Stellaris story: I caused the first-ever Stellaris ragequit very early in its development, when ship construction was first put in and battleships had 3-day construction timers (when you put a first pass of a feature in, you often do stuff like that so it's easy to test). I made a basic AI that would colonize, build ships, declare war on anyone it encountered and try to glass their planets, basically just as a way of putting the game through its paces and looking for performance/stability issues. Cue our one our content designers trying to test an anomaly event chain when the AI suddenly declares war on him and sends a fleet of 400 battleships into his home system.

I ended up having to put in a limited AI mode that was on by default until more balanced numbers were in place.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Lazrin, I'm sure you've been reading the XML discussion.. How does this tie in to them trying to break new ground?

I respect people who set out to achieve great things, but if you set out to climb a Everest with flip flops and a raincoat instead of oxygen and ice axes then surely you're undoing all that praiseworthy "effort" right from the outset. You're not going to be praised, you'll be laughed at. What if you said you were going to create the greatest medical software ever, but it would all be built on an Amiga 500 using Basic. If you did this with someone else's money then wouldn't you to be held accountable?

Or don't Cryengine and Binary XML count as the wrong tools for the job?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/795210475571032064

Please vote for Star Citizen, it's important.

4 more years!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

The promised scope of SC has never been made before. By contrast, everything that CIG is actually doing has been done before. There's a contrast you might be interested in

I guess that's a very challenging concept for you to understand but come on man

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Lazrin posted:

it seems to be pretty much on schedule based on other, similarly scoped game projects in the industry wether they stay on schedule or nor, remains to be seen.

that's maybe 5 years of production, with the overhead of trying to manage and share systems, assets, interfaces and so on, with an mmo in simultaneous development. these are dynamics not present when developing a typical single player game, and even for a mature studio would be a challenge.

I have a feeling SQ42 will never be released. At least, not while backers are still prepared to give CIG free money for doing gently caress all. And the minute it get released its game over for CIG because going on current form it will be a generic / derivative space movie riding bare back on a technical clusterfuck.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

This is a great line of inquiry, please continue doing this all the time

You're saying SC will be finished in 25-50 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

What schedule? You claim there's a schedule for "similarly scoped games" but you haven't presented a single example that checks out. Go on, tell us which games you consider similar in scope and let us double-check your "schedules".

• Locked thread