Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I had just assumed on Artix's death bed he would call out that he left the ending to PoP in one place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Heaven's Stair (Polsy)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure that random conversation at the end ties into a random conversation you didn't stop to have during the climb. Say what you want about crow's platforming prowess, but he certainly didn't miss the vital story details that the game makes it such a hassle to find.

I think I came up with a decent analogy for why the way this game is put together bothers me so much on a story level. There are a few portions that are mandatory, but they relate directly to the skippable ones (the ones that, in fact, you have to go somewhat out of your way to experience by hitting the "talk to Elika" button at various times instead of hitting any of the "play the game" buttons), so if you don't ask the game to please tell you the story at the right times, the things that happen don't really make sense, but happen as if they did. And of course, none of the levels have any connection to each other because you can do them in any order, aside from the first and last levels in each area. It feels way too much like early FMV games, where there could be no subtlety because changing one tiny detail about a scene meant taking up twice as much space on a disc, so everything was deliberate. If you've never played one, imagine having an identical conversation with the mailman every day, then one day, just yelling at him for no reason until he runs away in fear or something. Then, every day after that, the original conversation happens like neither of you had any memory of that day. Each part of this game is its own FMV scene, and nothing changes as you go along, so character development can't possibly exist. The words Elika and the Prince say to each other are just words that are said and then forgotten forever because they didn't want to film 35 variations of the level to account for all the possibilities. Or maybe it's like a cartoon, where anything that happens has to be forgotten by the end so everything can be back to normal in the next episode. Heck, this one even shows you how the characters can return even after suffering what should be fatal events.

This is how much thinking I do when there's that long a gap between videos.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
All I'm hearing is that PoP MMVIII needs to be remade by Campo Santo.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Predict the total number of times I die in the LP and win a new avatar care of Blind Sally'snine-gear crow's credit card.

Here are the current standings and "tie" stipulations:

CURRENT TOTAL DEATHS: 105

• Ignatius M. Meen - 1001
  • Great Joe - 750
  • Ryushikaze - 700
  • Calax - 666
  • Nidoking - 500
  • Trizophenie - 450
  • mrRedWhite - 420
  • LoonShia - 400
  • Nomadic Scholar - 394
  • AutistTree - 369
  • Chaeden - 363
  • FoolyCharged - 350
  • Tunicate - 343
  • Aumanor - 333
  • Strong Mouse - 309
  • Accursed Walrus - 300
  • Ozdhaka - 275
  • Captain Bravo - 250
  • Nyeehg - 240
  • Rigged Death Trap - 231
  • OldTimeyProspector - 222
  • Gimbal lock - 215
  • megamariox - 202
  • chiasaur11 - 200
  • Nihilarian - 197
  • Kangra - 187
  • Schwartzcough - 182
  • Darth TNT - 180
  • anilEhilated - 175
  • OmanyteJackson - 169
  • CJacobs - 165*
  • Bootcha - 164
  • Kasrkin - 162
  • Onmi - 157
  • Delta Green - 152
  • Omobono - 150
  • liquidypoo - 147
  • Senerio - 144
  • Shei-kun - 130
  • Ghostwoods - 123
  • FeyerbrandX - 121
  • Blue Link - 120
  • ZeeToo - 112
  • Agean90 - 108
  • Shinjobi - 103
  • AradoBalanga - 102
  • Major_JF - 101
  • Eponymous - 100
  • Mraagvpeine - 99
  • Air is lava! - 97
  • Oblivion4568238 - 94
  • Miz Kriss - 90
  • Iron Chitlin - 88
  • Waffleman_ - 81
  • Bruceski - 76
  • Fister Roboto - 69
  • GuyUpNorth - 42
  • Herr Tog - 25
  • Camel Pimp - 20
  • Mehuyael - 0

We haven't forgotten about the death contest. We're up to 105 deaths--that's right, we've finally broken triple-digits. Thank you, Artix, for your sacrifice on nine-gear crow's behalf in the name of PoP2008. The following guesses have been ranked out:

Shinjobi - 103
AradoBalanga - 102
Major_JF - 101
Eponymous - 100
Mraagvpeine - 99
Air is lava! - 97

:rip:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Blind Sally posted:

Air is lava! - 97

I actually did a bit of rebranding on my name since then.
(This is basically a random name from a admin thread.)

quote:

Predict the total number of times I die in the LP
Also since it was about the amount of times nine-gear crow dies, I have technically won!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 4, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

We haven't forgotten about the death contest. We're up to 105 deaths--that's right, we've finally broken triple-digits. Thank you, Artix, for your sacrifice on nine-gear crow's behalf in the name of PoP2008. The following guesses have been ranked out:

AradoBalanga - 102

:rip:
After a while (and the many "You need to eat a death in order to get this Light Seed" moments), I figured it'd happen eventually, be it through Crow's hands or now with Artix's hands.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

AradoBalanga posted:

After a while (and the many "You need to eat a death in order to get this Light Seed" moments), I figured it'd happen eventually, be it through Crow's hands or now with Artix's hands.

For what it's worth, there aren't nearly as many "gently caress you eat a death" situations as the videos make it look. Like yeah, you can eat a death if you want to grab it the easy way, but if it looks like it requires one, then you're probably missing something. Usually it's a power plate elsewhere in the level, or you'll make it if you're lined up just right.

E: That said, anytime you put your life in the hands of the physics, you're asking to get hosed somehow. See that one jump in the last video when we were talking about Naruto that I'm pretty sure I actually made but didn't come in high enough to grab the pillar.

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 4, 2016

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I feel like I'm never gonna get close to Artix death count at 666

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I miss being able to hear the prince and Elika talk.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't. Just smarming back and forth, forever.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Calax posted:

I feel like I'm never gonna get close to Artix death count at 666

As long as he doesn't make it intentional now that he's taken over the game :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Congratulations cant cook creole bream, nee Air is Lava!

Enjoy your new lovely avatar.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Woo! Congrats!

nine-gear crow posted:

Congratulations cant cook creole bream, nee Air is Lava!

Enjoy your new lovely avatar.

For posterity:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yay! Thanks. Winning on a technicality is the best winning. Seriously though, thanks, I love it.
Sorry for ruining the fun for the other participants.

On a different note, what's going on anyway? I am completely lost on the story, why are you collecting those light seeds again and who are the demons you keep fighting over and over again?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 7, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yay! Thanks. Winning on a technicality is the best winning. Seriously though, thanks, I love it.
Sorry for ruining the fun for the other participants.

On a different note, what's going on anyway? I am completely lost on the story, why are you collecting those light seeds again and who are the demons you keep fighting over and over again?

Prince is a thief of some kind, stumbles upon the land of the Auroa
They are imporisoning Ahriman, the dark god
Dark god shockingly escapes, it's seal having been broken
Light seeds are manifestations of the seal, used to unlock new powers (so you can finish the areas)
So you can kill the 4 Evil Generals of Ahriman and seal him

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Artix posted:

Other than that though, we're pretty much just going to pick up right where Crow left off, which puts us about halfway through the Vale. If you don't remember anything about where we are or what we're doing (and lord knows I wouldn't blame you if you don't), I also made a quick :siren: plot recap video :siren: summarizing where we are, what we've accomplished, and what powers we have.

:negative:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh, I'm a moron. That video is helpful. But frankly I don't feel like this is a good plot.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 7, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Huh, I'm a moron. That video is helpful. But frankly I don't feel like this is a good plot.

It's about sands of time level with much worse storytelling due to the fragmented nature of the conversations both in ordering (love hate story etc) and a lot of it is in random talky bits around an area.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
And if you go back to... mid-ways of crow part, he posted the "actual route/plot route" map. That is confusing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Every post brings us one step closer to realizing my dream of this being one of the most convoluted, over-produced, dragged out LPs on the subforums :unsmigghh:

GuyUpNorth posted:

And if you go back to... mid-ways of crow part, he posted the "actual route/plot route" map. That is confusing.

nine-gear crow posted:

Pretty much this right here. The game is set up so that you literally have to clear out at least two of the four starter zones before you can take on any of the actual fertile grounds in any of the main areas beyond them.

Regardless of which one you choose to unlock, the first Magic Plate power takes 60 Lightseeds to activate, and each stage has 45 Lightseeds (of which about 35 to 40 are initially available to you because the rest need one or more of the plates to be active to get). You can do the math for yourself.

So yes, in terms of gameplay order, The Cauldron came before the rest of the Ruined Citadel was completed, but in LP presentation order, we're done with the Citadel and The Hunter till we go collect the leftover Lightseeds at the end of the LP.

I mean to be posting each of the Magic Plate videos as end/beginning cappers for each chapter, but we actually haven't gotten to recording the commentary for them yet. Hopefully that will be this weekend if I can wrangle a combination of Sally/CJ/Artix/and/or/Fedule up. Fingers crossed.

Here's a pair of diagrams that better show off my route through Prince of Persia 2008:

The Gameplay Path - Confusing as gently caress, shows off how backtrack-heavy PoP 08 really is, one big giant mess from a presentation standpoint.

The LP Path - Streamlined, less confusing (except when you start to pull the thread of 'where are we now, chronologically?'), and shows off each area in 4 contiguous blocks of content.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Need to re-release some old Crow videos, and digitally add in cameos from other characters.

LIKE THIS GUY

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Crow didn't help things by diagramming it with all those criss-crossing arrows either. Really, you can simplify the route to the following with no trouble:

1) All four tutorial areas. You need 60 light seeds to get the first power and there's only ~40 per stage available.
2) Unlock the first plate (in our case, red)
3) First area of the region corresponding to the power you got in 2 (again in our case, Hunter's Citadel). You need 170 light seeds for the second power, and this is the earliest you can get that.
4) Unlock the complementary plate for the region you started (for us, the yellow plate)
5) Finish whatever area you started. If you were diligent about light seeds, you have the 340 you need for the third plate.
6) Unlock your third power, both of them will give you a complete region to do.
7) After completing the second region you should have just enough to hit 540, which unlocks the final plate.

And really, 6 and 7 are both unnecessary. As long as the first two powers you get unlock a full region and you don't go out of your way to ignore light seeds, you can do the whole game with basically zero backtracking. Like most of the things in the game, it looks far more complex than it actually is.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
All in all, it's still probably a good thing crow and Artix did the recording for this LP. If I had done it, it may have looked a little like this:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Tyty210/status/795862985298186240

I have been asked by random internet person Tyty to post a poll in this thread. Please vote in it.

No, you will not get any further context than that.

Thank you.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

All in all, it's still probably a good thing crow and Artix did the recording for this LP. If I had done it, it may have looked a little like this:

What is a diagram of crow's killzone grenade throws doing in the PoP2008 thread?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Observatory (Polsy)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Holy poo poo. This is momentous. We did it, folks. We made through the Vale. We are finally halfway through this damned game/LP.

I never thought this moment would arrive. I never dared to dream...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Holy poo poo. This is momentous. We did it, folks. We made through the Vale. We are finally halfway through this damned game/LP.

I never thought this moment would arrive. I never dared to dream...

For good and ill, 2016 makes the impossible... possible.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Caverns (Polsy)

nine-gear crow posted:

THE CONCUBINE

The third of Ahriman’s Corrupted generals and ruler of the Royal Palace.

In her mortal life, The Concubine was, well… a concubine. Big surprise, I know. As a courtesan, she played consort to a number of interchangeable Ahura nobles and royals, becoming quite familiar with palace grounds she would eventually usurp as one of the Corrupted and the quirks and secrets of the men she bedded.

Driven by her downtrodden and abused place in Ahura society, she plotted to overthrow the men who held power over the land to improve the lives of the peasantry like herself. Unfortunately, she turned to Ahriman to attain the power she lacked to affect the change she wished for, and as she fell further into corruption, her means and motives became corrupted as well. At the height of her power, she had usurped the Ahura royal family and claimed complete control over the royal palace itself, terrorizing its denizens with illusions and magic.

Now that she’s been released from the Temple along with Ahriman by the Mourning King, the Concubine has returned to her old haunt in the palace and by god, she will never shut the gently caress up about it.

Voiced by: Lucinda Davis

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Why is this so easy to misread as Ropal Palace

Also,

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 16, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
We had that discussion between videos/in either the Gardens or Spire video which are coming up next about how bad the Prince of Persia title font is at mimicking letters that don't appear in the words "Prince of Persia". Fun fact: the R in Royal there is actually a lower case r in the PoP font blown up to capital size, because the actual R in the font pack looks like a P with a barely discernible serif so it would have looked like it said "Poyal Palace".

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
[obligatory joke about CJacobs and poles, I guess]

Every time I see that ceiling cartwheeling maneuver, I get distracted for the remainder of the video trying to figure out how it would be remotely possible even with this game's tenuous grasp on the laws of physics. Like, I would be totally onboard with it if Elika were involved somehow, but of all the stupid bullshit in PoP2008, that is the one thing which makes me scream in the back of my mind, "gravity doesn't work that way."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
regarding CJacobs and gravity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmjFgqUMFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VceLL0qLUWE

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Royal Gardens (Polsy)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
boom boom dollar, get that poo poo outta here

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To be fair, I was only following orders

Also, Artix :effort:'d out and put the wrong title in there, I actually linked him BOOM BOOM DOLLAR (K.O.G G3 MIX) :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
please do not white knight White Knight Chronicles, crow. that game was horrible garbage--you've already proven this

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If that's what you wanted, maybe you should have said that instead of the [whatever song is playing] and [please edit something in here, Artix] bullshit you guys did. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Boom Boom Dollar is causing fights, splitting families. What hell is this that it's unleashed upon the LP subforum?

• Locked thread