Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Furia posted:

Yup.

I love that these "misanthropes" are so loving fickle they can be turned around by a (fictional) kid making a (fictional) joke

I mean, a lot of the people I see are seemingly fickle enough to go "I have no faith in my generation!" because they saw like, three people maybe do something dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"Hi uh, do you have a wife or girlfriend that can come to the door."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I like that they had no faith in the generation who can't even drive yet.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:rolleyes: (I'm assuming this is the same dumb poo poo)

I want free kit-kats for STDH :mad:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah but :lol: still.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The Snoo posted:

:rolleyes: (I'm assuming this is the same dumb poo poo)

I want free kit-kats for STDH :mad:

Thank God Nestle did this, really redeems them for all the dead babies and dominating water sources in developing nations

E: sth nestle are cunts, don't support them

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Ratjaculation posted:

Thank God Nestle did this, really redeems them for all the dead babies and dominating water sources in developing nations

Now I want chocolate, dammit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Kit Kats are made by Hershey's in the US.

Also Nestle's baby killing generates my delicious Crunch bars.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I bet their college Japanese teacher feigned amusement about this.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like that they had no faith in the generation who can't even drive yet.

They drive hoverboards around, that's enough for me to make a judgement

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Hmm this phrase I heard on the wire could be something my grandma could say. Doth a tale thou shall write

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I like how grandma uses proper grammar after using improper grammar for the purpose of this tale.

Re: Jalapeno - "is it not?"
(Insert that jerk off smilie I can't remember the code for)

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
It's jerkbag! :)

:jerkbag:

quote:

The Odds Of Her Believing Are Ever In Your Favor
LIBRARY | MD, USA | BOOKS & READING, FAMILY & KIDS, THEME OF THE MONTH
(I overhear the following conversation between a boy who is about 12, and his grandmother.)

Grandmother: “What are you reading there?”

Boy: “The Hunger Games.”

Grandmother: “What’s that about?”

Boy: “Don’t worry Grandma. It’s about these kids who enter a Hungry Hungry Hippos tournament, and the winner wins a bag of candy!”

Grandmother: “Oh. That sounds nice!”

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Dang this convo went from like 1 to 10 right away

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Haven't seen that ol' chestnut in a minute.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Bracelets

quote:

Get the lady's permission first, guys. This troper was at a convention-run host club where there were drinks bracelets being given to guests who were over 21, to designate who was allowed to be served alcohol and who was not. To curb any possibility of redistributing these bracelets to congoers who had the over-18 badge but were not yet 21, several of the hosts (most of whom had a very clear "sexy, smoldering vampire" thing going on, more Interview than Twilight) would offer— offer, not approach— to remove them with their teeth. Seeing it happen never got old. It was literally one of the sexiest things I have ever seen. Just a brush of the lips, and then, the teeth. (And please note that I did not say that these were specifically ladies getting their bracelets removed...)

Classmate

quote:

This editor has a classmate at law school who consistently performs examples of this trope: As he had multiple biology degrees (as well as a physics degree!), we all gave him a pass when he was easily able to explain why an expert witness was wrong in a case about the cause of the plaintiff's carcinoma and able to explain how stem cells are made, which was important to a different case. However, when there was a baking contest at school, we were a bit surprised to learn he was an expert baker. We were more surprised when he was easily able to fix another classmates iPod and hacked into another students e-mail account (in under a minute!). We didn't think we could be more surprised when, at the school's Barristers Ball, he was an excellent dancer. When he was able to help a Trial Advocacy professor with a case she was working by knowing and being able to explain an obscure detail of proper handgun cleaning, we all decided we would assume that he had whatever skills we could think of, unless he specifically told us he didn't have them. (So far, we have determined he doesn't speak Russian.)

Spy

quote:

The "retired secret agent" theory is gaining a lot of pull with my classmates and me. There was a guy at my school who was having an affair and we all wanted to know if the wife knew. Our one classmate had us all go out club hopping one weekend and have us bring spouses/significant others. He then spent the night chatting and telling stories to the guy having the affair and the wife, both together and separately as everyone got outrageously drunk. When the guy having the affair and the wife left, my classmate straightened up and completely sober, told us the wife knew. Apparently, my classmate was faking drunkenness despite slamming shots all night and had been pumping the guy having the affair and the wife for information without either of them knowing about it. If that is not something a spy could (and would!) do, I don't know what is.

Baton

quote:

The "retired secret agent" theory is gaining a lot of pull with my classmates and me. There was a guy at my school who was having an affair and we all wanted to know if the wife knew. Our one classmate had us all go out club hopping one weekend and have us bring spouses/significant others. He then spent the night chatting and telling stories to the guy having the affair and the wife, both together and separately as everyone got outrageously drunk. When the guy having the affair and the wife left, my classmate straightened up and completely sober, told us the wife knew. Apparently, my classmate was faking drunkenness despite slamming shots all night and had been pumping the guy having the affair and the wife for information without either of them knowing about it. If that is not something a spy could (and would!) do, I don't know what is.

Karate

quote:

I was once challenged by a brown belt Karate friend, who taunted me with the 'certainty' that his karate would be much better than my yellow belt Wing Tsun (which is actually a form of Kung Fu, for added badassery). He adopted his traditional stance and launched one of the 'mega-punch' type things. I side-stepped with a single kung-fu step and punched him in the side of the head. He was off-balance, and went crashing into a desk. In front of about half the year, some sixty people. He was also the one who got in trouble, because sixty people including teachers had seen him taunt me, adopt a fighting stance (the main wing tsun fighting stance I was tuaght doesn't actually look like a fighting stance) and strike the first blow.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

That's funny. And I know people who'd do that.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Bracelets

quote:

Get the lady's permission first, guys. This troper was at a convention-run host club where there were drinks bracelets being given to guests who were over 21, to designate who was allowed to be served alcohol and who was not. To curb any possibility of redistributing these bracelets to congoers who had the over-18 badge but were not yet 21, several of the hosts (most of whom had a very clear "sexy, smoldering vampire" thing going on, more Interview than Twilight) would offer— offer, not approach— to remove them with their teeth. Seeing it happen never got old. It was literally one of the sexiest things I have ever seen. Just a brush of the lips, and then, the teeth. (And please note that I did not say that these were specifically ladies getting their bracelets removed...)

So, uh, that curbs any possibility of redistribution how, exactly? I think I'm failing Troper Logic again.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So, uh, that curbs any possibility of redistribution how, exactly? I think I'm failing Troper Logic again.
[/quote]

Coz the totally not creepy hosts would bite the bracelets that you needed to get beer, thus ripping them and rendering them useless to any 18-21 year old who wanted to hang around.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I can't follow any part of that. Why does the fact that they bite the bracelets off in a sexy way means that you can't lend someone else your bracelet? What does 'offer, not approach' have to do with anything? What's with 'get the lady's permission first'? Permission to bite the bracelet off? Why would it even be just ladies getting the bracelet removed in the first place?

I read it as
- They're at some sort of party (fine)
- People get bracelets if they're over 21 to show the bar staff that they can be served booze (with you so far)
- There must be something about these bracelets that means they can be transferred to people under 21 and presumably back again so they need to do something else in order to stop people swapping them
- So obviously the solution is that sexy vampires will remove the bracelets with their teeth and it's just so sexy that this stops people swapping them because ????

:psyboom:

e: Wait, is the troper saying that people are allowing the hosts to rip the bracelets because it's so incredibly sexy that seeing it happen is worth forgoing any more drinks?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Walton Simons posted:

I can't follow any part of that. Why does the fact that they bite the bracelets off in a sexy way means that you can't lend someone else your bracelet? What does 'offer, not approach' have to do with anything? What's with 'get the lady's permission first'? Permission to bite the bracelet off? Why would it even be just ladies getting the bracelet removed in the first place?

I read it as
- They're at some sort of party (fine)
- People get bracelets if they're over 21 to show the bar staff that they can be served booze (with you so far)
- There must be something about these bracelets that means they can be transferred to people under 21 and presumably back again so they need to do something else in order to stop people swapping them
- So obviously the solution is that sexy vampires will remove the bracelets with their teeth and it's just so sexy that this stops people swapping them because ????

:psyboom:

e: Wait, is the troper saying that people are allowing the hosts to rip the bracelets because it's so incredibly sexy that seeing it happen is worth forgoing any more drinks?

I speak stupid, so yes that is exactly what the troper is implying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They tore the bracelets when people exited.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My guess: couple old cougar bartenders at a con party, one weird old trick for popping off an ICU bracelet, and a troper that wasn't 18 and didn't realize the bracelets were just good for one drink and they were just collecting drink tickets.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What the hell kind of fetish is "Vampires removing bracelets from women"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Danaru posted:

What the hell kind of fetish is "Vampires removing bracelets from women"

A Mormon or Amish one, probably.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

You posted "Spy" again by mistake.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Karate Friend vs Kung Fu Stepper

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Lord Chumley posted:

You posted "Spy" again by mistake.

You're right! Duh. Here's "Baton":

quote:

This Troper was once involved in a D&D game where the GM's Professional Arena Football Player big brother came in and started messing with us. After enduring this for several minutes, I faced him and pulled out my "secret weapon," a 15-inch rubber padded cylinder. "What's that, your magic wand?" the jackass had asked. "Yeah," I snarked, shaking the cylinder, to reveal that it was in fact the handle for my US Marine-Issue Stainless Steel Extendable Baton. "Abracadabra, bitch." I then proceeded to perform acts of violence on the jerk that I will not repeat here on advice of my lawyer. Sadly, I was never invited back to that D&D group (the "victim" WAS the GM's brother, after all.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Khazar-khum posted:

"I got made fun of, so I committed assault with a deadly weapon until I was kicked out."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Khazar-khum posted:

This Troper's maternal grandfather served in the British Army during World War II as a medic. He's had quite a number of brushes with death, mostly while with the 8th Army.
During the invasion of France, my grandfather had to get out of the ambulance he drove to piss. When he came back, the ambulance had been bombed.

My idiot grandfather got his ambulance blown up because he couldn't hold his piss.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I like how he didn't seem to notice the bombing at all. How far away did he go to piss ?

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

Was I the only one that thought it'd be a FleshLight? Seems like it'd be the prime weapon of choice for Tropers. On hand wherever they go and full of stank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This is the exact scenario everyone I know who practices Kung fu fantasizes about.